One taste of this traditional curry-flavored soup, and folks will know it didn't come from a can! This soup fills the kitchen with a wonderful aroma while it's simmering.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a Dutch oven, saute the apple, carrot, celery and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, curry, sugar, salt, pepper and mace until blended. Gradually add broth. , Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, tomato, green pepper, cloves and parsley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add rice; heat through. Discard cloves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 160 calories, Fat 8g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 31mg cholesterol, Sodium 925mg sodium, Carbohydrate 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
THE BEST MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE
- Saute onions, celery, leek, carrots, and butter in a large pot over medium heat until they start to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the flour and the curry, and cook over medium heat for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, mix well, and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the apple, rice, chicken, salt, pepper, nutmeg and thyme. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is done.
- When serving, add heated cream (optionally) and chopped fresh parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 692 kcal, Carbohydrate 30 g, Protein 43 g, Fat 44 g, SaturatedFat 24 g, Cholesterol 282 mg, Sodium 746 mg, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 11 g, ServingSize 1 serving
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP I
The name Mulligatawny means 'pepper water', and curry is the particular ingredient that gives this incredible soup such a delicious flavor...so I'm told. This old recipe was given to me long ago.
Provided by L. Peter
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Saute onions, celery, carrot, and butter in a large soup pot. Add flour and curry, and cook 5 more minutes. Add chicken stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Simmer about 1/2 hour.
- Add apple, rice, chicken, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is done.
- When serving, add hot cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 222.8 calories, Carbohydrate 13.5 g, Cholesterol 62.2 mg, Fat 15.8 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 6.9 g, SaturatedFat 9.5 g, Sodium 733.9 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
Liz and Kurt Gruber of Bellevue, Washington, write: "We really enjoyed the mulligatawny soup we had at Shamiana in nearby Kirkland. Could you get the recipe?"
Yield Makes 8 first-course or 4 main-course servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add garam masala and next 4 ingredients; stir 1 minute. Add lentils; stir until coated. Add chicken broth. Bring soup to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are very tender, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot. Stir in chicken, coconut milk, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice among bowls. Pour soup over. Garnish with lemon wedges; serve.
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP III
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery, pepper, apple, and chicken. Cook until browned.
- Stir in flour, curry powder, mace, cloves, parsley, and tomatoes. Cover, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Take chicken out, set aside, and strain vegetables from broth. Return chicken to pot.
- Using a food mill, puree vegetables. Return to soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add rice and boiling white stock. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 230.8 calories, Carbohydrate 22.1 g, Cholesterol 42 mg, Fat 9.4 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 14.1 g, SaturatedFat 5.3 g, Sodium 256.5 mg, Sugar 7 g
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until browned, about 12 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, stir in the coriander, cumin, and turmeric, cook until fragrant, stirring, for 45 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Add the lentils to the thickened broth, lower the heat, and simmer, covered, until very tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- When the lentil mixture has cooled, stir in the cilantro. Working in batches, transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth, or puree with an immersion blender. Return the puree to the pot and reheat over medium heat.
- Whisk the coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, and season with pepper to taste. Divide among warm soup bowls and garnish with the coriander sprigs. Serve immediately with the lemon wedges.
- Cook's Note: If making the soup in advance, adjust it's consistency when re-heating with water or broth, since it has a tendency to thicken as it sits.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- In a large stockpot, over medium, add the onions, carrots, celery stalks and butter. Cook until tender, but do not burn them. Stir in the flour and curry and cook for 3 minutes. Pour in 8 cups of chicken stock and let simmer for 30 minutes. Then add in the remaining ingredients, except the hot cream. Let simmer for 15 minutes and then add in 1 cup hot cream. Ladle into serving bowls and serve.
SLOW-COOKER MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
This soup is the result of British colonizers' encounters with rasam, a souplike dish from Tamil Nadu, a region in southern India, that's often made with lentils. "Milagu tannir," or pepper water, evolved into mulligatawny when the British made it thick, chunky and meaty. In her book "From Curries to Kabobs," the author Madhur Jaffrey wrote that mulligatawny was "an essential part of my childhood," as she ate it at the homes of Anglo-Indian friends and in hotels on vacation. Mulligatawny now bears no resemblance to rasam and has many variations; it is a dish that was invented and modified for colonizers' palates, and thus it has few rules. Ms. Jaffrey noted that "some curry powder has to be included for a true East-West flavor," as curry powder is more British than Indian. This slow-cooker version is thickened with masoor dal and coconut cream, and enriched with chicken thighs and tart apple.
Provided by Sarah DiGregorio
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Combine all the ingredients except the coconut cream and lime juice in a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in the coconut cream and lime juice. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Serve in bowls topped with a dusting of cayenne, if desired.
Mulligatawny means "pepper water" in Tamil. It is a traditional soup from southern India, brought to Europe by the British. This vivid version includes chicken broth, coconut milk, lentils, and plenty of spices. This recipe has been adapted from "Curries & Bugles: A Memoir & Cookbook of the British Raj," by Jennifer Berman (HarperCollins; 1990).
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Process garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cayenne, bay leaf, and oil in a food processor to form a paste.
- Melt ghee or butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add spice paste, and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in stock, masoor dal or split peas, and cilantro, then cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add rice, and cook 15 minutes.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Stir in tamarind concentrate, and bring to a simmer. Serve sprinkled with garam masala.
This soup is a British-Indian cuisine hybrid, the result of colonizers' encounters with rasam - a spiced, soupy dish often enriched with lentils, sometimes served over rice - from Tamil Nadu, a region in southern India. "Milagu tannir," which means pepper water, was how Tamil people described some versions of rasam; it morphed into mulligatawny when the British made it thick, chunky and meaty. In the cookbook "Classic Indian Cooking," the author Julie Sahni wrote that she fell in love with mulligatawny when she first encountered it in Germany. "The present version bears no resemblance whatever to the traditional rasam," she said, adding, "Because of its unorthodox origin, Indian cooks have had a field day exercising their creative genius with it." This version is thickened with a roux, masoor dal and coconut milk, and bolstered with chicken thighs and tart apple. Curry powder is not a traditional Indian ingredient, but it reflects the dish's British influence.
Provided by Sarah DiGregorio
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Warm the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and shrunken, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring, until fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes. Add the mustard seeds, turmeric, curry powder, cayenne and cumin seeds, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mustard seeds pop and sizzle, about 90 seconds. Add the carrot, celery and apple, and cook, stirring, until just starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, then the flour, and cook, stirring well, to uniformly coat all the ingredients, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, masoor dal and chicken broth. Season lightly with salt. Bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits sticking to the bottom of the pot. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer.
- Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes more, until the chicken and carrots are tender, the soup is creamy, and the flavors have blended.
- Stir in the coconut milk and squeeze in the lime juice. Serve in bowls topped with a dusting of cayenne, if desired.
Cook a batch of mulligatawny soup, packed with veg and rice and gently spiced with curry powder and spices. Top with coriander and yogurt
Provided by Esther Clark
Categories Lunch, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a casserole dish and fry the onion and celery with a pinch of salt for 10-12 mins, or until softened and translucent. Stir in the carrots, parsnip, garlic, ginger and apple and cook for 1 min more. Stir through the curry powder, cumin and paprika. Add the stock and tomato purée and season to taste. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for 40 mins.
- Rinse the rice and cook for 10 mins in boiling water. Blitz the soup until smooth with a blender. Drain the rice and stir through the soup with the mango chutney, lemon juice and half the coriander. Check for seasoning, then ladle into bowls and top with the remaining coriander and yogurt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 321 calories, Fat 12 grams fat, SaturatedFat 4 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 37 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 12 grams sugar, Fiber 8 grams fiber, Protein 12 grams protein, Sodium 2 milligram of sodium
AUTHENTIC MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
This is an authentic recipe adapted from "The Food of India" cookbook. My family has been loving this soup for years! If you want an authentic Mooloogoo Thani soup, this is it!
Provided by Axe1678
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat the oil and add the ginger and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the onion and saute until onion is transparent.
- Add the gram flour, apple, curry powder, turmeric, tomatoes, bay leaf, pepper and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 45 minutes, then process in a blender.
- Add the rice if using and chicken.
- Stir well and serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 220.7, Fat 11.1, SaturatedFat 2, Cholesterol 24, Sodium 281.9, Carbohydrate 19.2, Fiber 2.9, Sugar 9.7, Protein 12.1
More about "mulligatawny soup recipes"
INDIAN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4/5 (22)Total Time 45 minsCuisine IndianCalories 351 per serving
MULLIGATAWNY - WIKIPEDIA
HEALTHY MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
10 BEST INDIAN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
MULLIGATAWNY RECIPE - BBC FOOD
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP | FOODLAND ONTARIO
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE | FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE (+VIDEO)
CHRISTMAS MULLIGATAWNY SOUP | RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - JO COOKS
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE | EATINGWELL
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE : SBS FOOD
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - NDTV FOOD
SWEET AND SAVORY MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - RECIPE
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - JUST 15 MINUTES - COOKTHESTORY
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP (EASY VERSION) - IMMACULATE BITES ONE POT
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE | VEGETARIAN - RAKS KITCHEN
PERFECT MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - DELISHABLY
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP | CREAMY, DELICIOUS SOUP | MADE FAMOUS BY …
CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - LENTILS AND APPLE - KITCHEN AND OTHER …
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT MULLIGATAWNY | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
22 BEST CREAMY SOUP RECIPES - EASY IDEAS FOR CREAMY SOUPS
SOUP NAZI'S MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - MAKEBETTERFOOD.COM
INDIAN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - THE WANDERLUST KITCHEN
10+ EASY INDIAN SOUP RECIPES - PIPING POT CURRY
INSTANT POT MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE | FEASTING AT HOME
BEST MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE MULLIGATAWNY …
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - PINCH OF NOM
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP, MAGIC WITH LEFTOVERS - FOOD GYPSY
MADHUR JAFFREY MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - A COUPLE FOR THE ROAD
THE EASIEST MULLIGATAWNY SOUP (VEGETARIAN!) | LIVE EAT LEARN
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #soups-stews #beans #asian #indian #easy #vegetarian #dietary #spicy #inexpensive #lentils #taste-mood
You'll also love