NEW YEAR'S CAKE (NEEN GOW)
_Neen Gow,_ New Year's Cake, is the most important cake eaten on New Year's - the main ingredient, glutinous rice flour, is a symbol of cohesiveness. The egg-dipped, pan-fried slices have a mellow sweetness and are slightly chewy from glutinous rice flour. Mama remembers watching her grandmother's servants scraping the slab brown candy, _peen tong,_ for this cake, which is the traditional technique. Brown candy is a kind of sugar that is sold by the slab in 1-pound packages and is also available loose in bins in some Chinese markets. The slabs are about 5 inches long, 1 1/4 inches wide, and a scant 1/2 inch thick. The scraping of the sugar is extremely labor-intensive, so some cooks dissolve the slabs of sugar in water, which is less authentic but much easier to prepare. Be sure to use glutinous rice flour here, not regular rice flour! See the introduction to [Turnip Cake](/recipes/recipe_views/views/100779) for how to serve and store this New Year's Cake.
Provided by Grace Young
Yield Makes one 8-inch cake, about 72 slices
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a small bowl, soak the red dates in 1/4 cup cold water for 30 minutes, or until softened. When softened, remove and discard the pits.
- Cut each brown candy slab into 8 pieces. Place sugar in a heatproof bowl, pour 2 cups boiling water over the sugar, and set aside until dissolved and completely cooled.
- Grease a heatproof 8-inch round, 3- to 4-inch-deep, straight-sided bowl, such as soufflé dish, with 2 teaspoons vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, place rice flour. Make a well and stir in cold sugar water. Knead dough in the bowl, adding an additional 1/3 cup cold water until dough is smooth, slightly moist, and shiny, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in the prepared dish and pat until it fills the dish evenly.
- Cut the red dates into halves and place cut-side down in a ring around the outside of the dough, leaving a few to decorate the center.
- Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds. Coat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, using your fingers and lightly pressing down on the dates and sesame seeds.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat in a covered steamer large enough to fit the dish without touching the sides of the steamer. Carefully place the dish into the steamer, cover, and steam 35 to 40 minutes on high heat. Check the water level and replenish, if necessary, with boiling water. The cake is done when it begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Carefully remove the dish from the steamer and pour off any excess liquid on the surface. Place on a rack to cool. Loosely cover and set at room temperature in a cool room until the next day, when it will be ready to eat.
- Run a knife along the edge of the cake to loosen sides. Place a cake rack over the bowl and invert to unmold. Flip the cake right-side up onto the cutting board. Wrap the cake in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to eat, cut the cake into quarters. Cut each quarter crosswise, not into wedges, but into two 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip crosswise into scant 1/4-inch-thick slices. This is the typical way of slicing a cake Chinese style. Beat an egg in a small bowl, until frothy. Dip the slices in egg.
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or skillet, over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add just enough vegetable oil to barely coat the wok, add the egg-dipped slices in batches and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Serve immediately.
EASY BAKED CHINESE NEW YEAR CAKE (NIAN GAO)
This is an easy baked version of the Chinese New Year cake, which is traditionally steamed and pan-fried with egg. It is mildly sweet, crispy on the outside, and chewy on the inside.
Provided by cookinkhoos
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two nonstick, 8-inch round pans.
- Beat eggs and brown sugar together in a bowl. Mix in rice flour. Slowly mix in coconut milk and water until batter is smooth. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Turn on the oven's broiler and broil until light brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 249.5 calories, Carbohydrate 39.8 g, Cholesterol 46.5 mg, Fat 8.3 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 4.4 g, SaturatedFat 6.3 g, Sodium 24.8 mg, Sugar 8.9 g
More about "new years cake neen gow recipes"
NIAN GAO RECIPE (CHINESE NEW YEAR CAKE) 年糕 - JACKY
5/5 (22)Total Time 1 hrCategory Dessert, SnackCalories 279 per serving
- Melt Sugar: In a small sauce pan, melt 250g cane sugar, 60g brown sugar in pieces in 1 ½ cup of cold water slowly over medium heat. To speed up the process, break down the sugar pieces once the water starts to warm. You don’t have to bring the sugar mixture to a boil.
- Prepare Dry Ingredients: Sift 300g glutinous rice flour, 110g wheat starch, and a pinch of salt through a fine mesh strainer into a large mixing bowl. Mix well with a silicone spatula.
- Prepare Sesame Coconut Mixture: In a small mixing bowl, mix 1 ⅓ tbsp (20g) Chinese sesame paste/sauce and ¾ cup (188ml) coconut milk together.
- Create Coconut Sugar Mixture: Once the sugar has fully melted, pour the Sesame Coconut Mixture into the Sugar Mixture to cool it down a bit. Mix well.
NEW YEAR'S CAKE (NIAN GAO) RECIPE - LOS ANGELES TIMES
Servings 72Estimated Reading Time 3 minsCategory DESSERTS, STOVETOP, LUNAR NEW YEARTotal Time 2 hrs
- In a small bowl, soak the red dates in cold water until softened, about 30 minutes. When softened, remove and discard the pits.
- Meanwhile, cut each candy slab into 8 pieces. Place the candy in a heatproof bowl and pour 2 cups boiling water over the candy. Set aside until the candy is dissolved and completely cooled.
- Grease a heatproof, 8-inch-round, 3- to 4-inch-deep soufflé dish or other straight-sided bowl, using 2 teaspoons vegetable oil.
- Place the rice flour in a large bowl. Make a well and stir in the cooled sugar water. Knead the mixture until a dough forms in the bowl, adding an additional 1/3 cup cold water until the dough is smooth, slightly moist and shiny, 5 to 10 minutes.
CHINESE NEW YEAR CAKE, OR NIN GAO IS A STEAMED SWEET, …
NIAN GAO (CHINESE NEW YEAR SWEET RICE CAKE) - THE …
NEW YEAR'S CAKE (NEEN GOW) RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
CAKES FOR CHINESE NEW YEAR? NOT... - EATS ROOTS AND LEAVES
PAN FRIED NIAN GAO RECIPE (NEW YEAR CAKE) 傳統香煎年糕
TASTY INDIAN FOOD: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 30, 2008
37 NEW YEAR'S EVE IDEAS | CUPCAKE CAKES, DESSERTS, CAKE ... - PINTEREST
RECIPE: TURNIP CAKE (LAW BOK GOW) - CINNAMON SOCIETY
CHINESE NEW YEAR CAKE / NEEN GO 年糕 MYINSTANTPOTLIFE CHINESE …
PENGUIN SAYS FEED ME: CHINESE NEW YEAR'S CAKE (年糕)
PIROZHKI CAKE | ACZ
MAKE, JANE, MAKE!: CHINESE NEW YEAR COOKING
NIAN GOW (STICKY CHINESE NEW YEAR'S CAKE) - CHINESE RECIPES
12 NEW YEAR'S CAKES WORTH CELEBRATING | ALLRECIPES
NIAN GAO/NEEN GOW/CHINESE NEW YEAR STEAMED GOOEY CAKE
~~ ANGELIC NEW TOSH ~~: N EW Y EAR'S C AKE (NEEN GOW)
CHINESE NEW YEAR CAKE (NIAN GAO) - COOKIST.COM
NEW YEARS CAKES - COOKEATSHARE
NEW YEAR'S CAKE (NEEN GOW) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
NEW YEAR KA CAKE - THE CAKE BOUTIQUE
NIAN GAO LUNAR NEW YEAR CAKE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CHINESE NEW YEAR – ELSIE HUI
FOOLPROOF, RIDICULOUSLY EASY NIAN GAO RECIPE FOR CHINESE NEW …
HOW TO FRY CHINESE NEW YEAR CAKE | BATHROOM CABINETS IDEAS
CHINESE NEW YEAR CAKE (LEEN GOH/NIAN GAO) - MY BF IS GF
LUNAR NEW YEAR RECIPES & MENU IDEAS 2022 - PAGE 6
BAKED NIAN GAO (CHINESE NEW YEAR CAKE VARIATION)
ROAR: CHINESE NEW YEAR
NEW YEAR'S CAKE (NEEN GOW)
370 CHINESE NEW YEAR COOKIES IDEAS IN 2022 | CHINESE NEW YEAR …
GET ALLERGY WISE: CHINESE NEW YEAR: PHOTOS AND NEEN GOW
CHINESE NEW YEAR NEW YEAR HOLIDAYS COOKING RECIPES
HOMEMADE CHINESE NIAN GAO – 年糕 – ELSIE HUI
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What cake is eaten on New Year's day?Main Navigation. Neen Gow, New Year's Cake, is the most important cake eaten on New Year's — the main ingredient, glutinous rice flour, is a symbol of cohesiveness.
What tools do I need to make nian gao (Chinese New Year cake)?Tools for Nian Gao (Chinese New Year Cake) 1 Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker 2 Fine Mesh Strainer 3 Silicone Spatula 4 Fat Daddio 7x3 inch Round Cheesecake Push Pan or Foil Pan (for gifting) 5 Large & small mixing bowls 6 Small sauce pan 7 Trivet or steaming rack 8 Aluminum foil sling More ...
How long to cook Chinese New Year cake in pressure cooker?Tightly wrap the cake pan with aluminum foil. Place the cake pan on top of a trivet. Close the lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 38 minutes and Full Natural Release (~8 minutes). Test Doneness: Open the lid carefully, check the doneness by sticking a chopstick in the center of the Chinese New Year Cake.
How to make nian gao batter?Create Nian Gao Batter: Pour the hot Coconut Sugar Mixture into the large mixing bowl filled with dry ingredients and mix well with a silicone spatula. Remove Lumps in Batter: There should be lots of lumps in the batter. Break up the lumps by pitching them against the mixing bowl with a silicone spatula.