BROWN RICE, CHICKEN, AND CHORIZO PAELLA
My husband is a Spaniard, so I started looking into paella. It took me 4 times to get this right. It has become his favorite dish and expects me to make this every week. I have tweaked this recipe to our taste, so the red pepper, capers, and black olives are simply a preference for us. The vinegar is a Spanish thing, so I always add it. You can leave a little broth in the paella, or cook until the broth is fully absorbed. It is simply a preference.
Provided by Mariposa
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Measure salt, paprika, red pepper, turmeric, and saffron into a small bowl and set spice mixture aside.
- Heat olive oil in paella pan or large pot over medium heat. Add chicken and chorizo and cook until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer meat to a platter. Add onion, bell pepper, parsley, and garlic to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add rice, tomato, and roasted red peppers. Cook until rice begins to brown, about 5 minutes more. Add spice mixture and broth. Return chicken and chorizo to the pot, burying them in the paella.
- Increase heat to high and bring the pot to a boil, stirring every 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 50 to 55 minutes more. Add thawed peas and carrots, black olives, capers, and apple cider vinegar and stir. Cook until everything is heated through, 3 to 5 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 465.1 calories, Carbohydrate 43.3 g, Cholesterol 63.2 mg, Fat 22 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 21.9 g, SaturatedFat 6.3 g, Sodium 1630.5 mg, Sugar 3.1 g
- Spritz 4 to 5 pieces of newspaper with vegetable oil and put in the bottom of a charcoal chimney starter. Fill the chimney with half of the charcoal and light the newspaper.
- When the charcoal is lightly covered with gray ash, carefully pour onto the bottom grate of a kettle grill and spread evenly. Top with the remaining unlit charcoal, spreading evenly so as not to suffocate the lit charcoal. Set the second grate in the kettle and cover until ready to cook.
- Meanwhile, halve the tomatoes and remove the seeds to a fine mesh strainer set over a small bowl to catch the juice. Grate the seeded halves on the large hole side of a box grater and discard the skins. Combine the reserved juice and grated tomato and set aside.
- Warm the chicken broth in a kettle or 4-quart saucepan over high heat until it reaches 200 degrees F. Remove the broth from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Combine the rice, saffron, rosemary, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and paprika in a small mixing bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in the paella pan on the prepared grill. Season the chicken on all sides with the remaining 2 teaspoons of salt. Once the olive oil shimmers, add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side. Move the chicken to the outer edges of the pan. Add the green beans, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and garlic to the center of the pan and cook until they begin to soften and darken in color, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juice and cook until most of the liquid has dissipated and the tomatoes thicken and darken, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rice mixture to the center of the pan and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Redistribute the chicken pieces on top of the rice. Add 4 cups of the warm chicken broth and stir to distribute the rice evenly in the pan, making sure that all rice is completely submerged in liquid. From this point forward do not stir the paella. After 8 to 9 minutes, when all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice appears dry, add an additional 4 cups of broth. Continue to cook without stirring, until the liquid is absorbed, about 8 to 9 minutes. The rice should be firm to the bite and the grains have a tiny white dot in the center. Add the remaining cup of broth as needed, until the rice is cooked through. Watch the fire to make sure it is heating evenly and adjust the pan to prevent uneven cooking.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover with a tea towel and rest for 15 minutes before serving.
SHRIMP & BROCCOLI BROWN RICE PAELLA
Years ago my husband and I were vacationing in France and came across an open market where a man from Spain was making paella in a skillet; we've been hooked ever since. I love to whip this up for a large group, but if the gathering is small, I know I can easily freeze leftovers for another time. -Joni Hilton, Rocklin, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper and mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, garlic and seasonings; cook 1-2 minutes longer., Stir in stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Add shrimp and broccoli; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in peas; heat through. Freeze option: Place cooled paella in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little stock or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 331 calories, Fat 5g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 138mg cholesterol, Sodium 693mg sodium, Carbohydrate 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
BROWN RICE PAELLA
I found this on the web. I love paella...specially after a trip to Spain. But I switch to brown rice a few years back, so I wanted to have my paella and my brown rice. I did a search on the web and found this recipe which I've been making ever since. I love it, hope you will too. I'm not really sure about the time so it's a guess.
Provided by Chef BennyBoo
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Toss shrimp, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1 teaspoon garlic in medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until skin begins to blister and turn spotty black, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer peppers to small plate and set aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to now-empty Dutch oven; heat oil until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken pieces in single layer; cook, without moving pieces, until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn pieces and brown on second side, about 3 minutes longer; transfer chicken to medium bowl. Reduce heat to medium and add chorizo to pot; cook, stirring frequently, until deeply browned and fat begins to render, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo to bowl with chicken and set aside.
- Add enough oil to fat in Dutch oven to equal 2 tablespoons; heat over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes; stir in remaining garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes; cook until mixture begins to darken and thicken slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook until grains are well coated with tomato mixture, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, wine, saffron, bay, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Cover pot and transfer to oven; cook until rice absorbs most of liquid, about 30 minutes. Remove pot from oven; add chicken and chorizo, cover pot, and transfer to oven; cook for 15 minutes. Remove pot from oven; scatter shrimp over meat and rice, insert mussels hinged side down into rice (so they stand upright), arrange bell pepper strips in pinwheel pattern, and scatter peas over top. Cover and return to oven; cook until shrimp are opaque and mussels have opened, about 12 minutes.
- Let paella stand, covered, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that have not opened and bay leaf, if it can be easily removed. Sprinkle with parsley and serve, passing lemon wedges separately.
More about "brown rice paella recipes"
BROWN RICE & CHICKPEA PAELLA | COOK FOR YOUR LIFE
4/5 (18)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsCategory Mains
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the rice and 2½ cups of the stock, bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, in a pot combine 1/4 cup of water and enough broth to bring it to 1¼ cups of liquid. Bring to a boil, add the saffron threads, cover and keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide paella pan over medium-high heat. Add the pine nuts and brown slightly, then add the garlic, onions, and red pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are slightly wilted. Add the tomatoes and parsley and sauté 2-3 minutes or until the tomatoes have cooked down. Add the spinach and cook until it has wilted, if using fresh, or when thawed, if using frozen.
- Stir in the paprika, thyme, cumin, and oregano, and blend well. Add the partially cooked rice, along with any remaining broth, coating it well with the mixture.
SEAFOOD PAELLA WITH BROWN RICE RECIPE BY BECKY - COOKPAD
See details »
BROWN RICE VEGETABLE PAELLA | FATFREE VEGAN KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Before you begin: Make sure you have butter beans, lima, or other dried beans already cooked. Defrost the green beans completely and let drain. Warm the broth; remove 1/2 cup to a small bowl or measuring cup and add the saffron to it. Parboil the rice up to an hour before cooking the paella.
- To parboil rice, bring a large pot of water to boil, salted if you want. Add the rice and continue to boil, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Drain water completely (a colander helps) and allow rice to dry for up to an hour.
- Heat a large, deep skillet or flat-bottomed wok. Add the chopped onion and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until onion softens, 4-6 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook, stirring and breaking up large pieces of tomato with the back of the spoon, until mixture thickens and most of the liquid boils off. Stir in the drained rice, paprika, and saffron broth and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the warm broth and the butter beans and bring to a boil. Taste the broth to see if it’s salty enough and add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the Italian beans. Increase heat until boiling again, if necessary, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
ONE PAN HEALTHY PAELLA - THE CLEAN EATING COUPLE
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Cube chicken into 1 inch pieces. In a large pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook chicken for 15 minutes until browned.
- Add in remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Sauté chopped onions and garlic until translucent. (Approx 5-7 minutes)
- Add in peppers and sugar snap peas to the pan. Sauté for 4-6 minutes (until vegetables are slightly tender.. don't over do the veggies, they will continue to cook in the broth later).
PAELLA-STYLE BROWN RICE WITH SHRIMP AND CHORIZO - FROM A ...
4.9/5 (14)Category Fish And SeafoodCuisine SpanishTotal Time 1 hr 15 mins
- Transfer to a plate and let cool to the touch. When cool enough to touch, slice the sausage into 1/4 to 1/3-inch thick slices. THE SAUSAGE WON'T BE COOKED ALL THE WAY THROUGH.
- Refresh oil if needed. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the red bell pepper and tomato and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes.
VEGAN BROWN RICE PAELLA - COOK VEGAN RECIPES - WITH OLLE
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet, saucepan or wok pan. The important part is that you can cover it and that it can hold all the liquid.
SPANISH PAELLA RECIPE - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
- *Please note, this is my version of Paella Mixta I learned to make while living in Madrid, Spain. I've simplified the recipe as best I could for anyone to be able to make without a special pan or equipment. There are MANY variations to Paella so please be respectful that my authentic recipe may be different from yours!
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add chopped tomato, bay leaf, paprika, saffron salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add white wine and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Pour the broth slowly all around the pan and jiggle the pan to get the rice into an even layer. (Do not stir the mixture going forward!).
VEGETABLE AND BROWN RICE PAELLA RECIPE - FOOD.COM
- In a saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer and stir in saffron, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and rice; stir to combine. Pour in reserved broth and bring to a boil. Cover, place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
PAELLA-STYLE BROWN RICE AND CHICKEN | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
- If desired, remove the skin from the chicken. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. In a medium skillet cook the chicken, uncovered, in hot olive oil or cooking oil over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove the chicken from the skillet, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Add the onion, pepper, and garlic to the drippings in the skillet. Cook and stir till the vegetables are tender but not brown. (Add more oil, if necessary.) Drain excess fat from the skillet.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, water, rice, bouillon granules, and chili powder to the vegetables in the skillet. Bring to boiling, scraping up any browned bits. Add chicken pieces. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or till chicken is nearly done.
- Sprinkle the peas over the rice-chicken mixture. Cover and cook about 5 minutes more or till chicken is tender and no pink remains and rice is tender. Dollop with yogurt or sour cream. Makes 2 servings.
BROWN RICE SEAFOOD PAELLA - ALYCOOKS.COM
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
BROWN RICE PAELLA WITH MUSSELS AND BELL PEPPERS
Servings 6Estimated Reading Time 2 minsCategory Main Courses See details »
BROWN RICE PAELLA - BIGOVEN.COM
5/5 See details »
BROWN RICE PAELLA | COOK'S ILLUSTRATED
Cuisine Spanish & PortugueseCategory Main CoursesServings 6 See details »
PAELLA WITH BROWN RICE, SEAFOOD, CHICKEN AND CHORIZO
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
CHICKEN & SAUSAGE BROWN RICE PAELLA RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
4/5 (1) See details »
PRAWN, QUINOA AND BROWN RICE PAELLA | ALLRECIPES.COOKING
See details »
BROWN RICE PAELLA RECIPE - NATUREL
See details »
EASY RICE COOKER PAELLA RECIPE: A HANDS - EASY RECIPES
See details »
BROWN RICE PAELLA RECIPES
See details »
CHORIZO AND SEAFOOD BROWN RICE PAELLA
See details »
RECIPE OF SUPER QUICK YUMMY SEAFOOD PAELLA WITH BROWN RICE ...
See details »
SHRIMP & BROCCOLI BROWN RICE PAELLA RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT ...
See details »
RECIPE OF PERFECT CHORIZO AND SEAFOOD BROWN RICE PAELLA ...
See details »
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #rice #seafood #spanish #european #dinner-party #shrimp #one-dish-meal #mussels #pasta-rice-and-grains #brown-rice #shellfish #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love