CHILLI FOR A CROWD
Make a big batch of Mexican chilli con carne to keep hungry guests happy - this recipe serves 12-14
Provided by Lindsey Bareham
Categories Dinner, Main course
Yield Serves 12-14
Number Of Ingredients 31
- If using dried beans and not freezing the chilli, rinse and pick over the beans, then soak them overnight in plenty of water. Rinse again, and tip into a large pan with enough water to cover by 5cm and bring to the boil. Boil briskly for 10 mins, then turn down the heat and simmer gently for 30 mins or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based lidded pan and brown the pork, then the beef, in 4 batches, scooping into a bowl as you go. Slice the bacon into strips. Add to the empty pan and cook gently to begin with, raising the heat as the bacon crisps. Scoop the bacon out of the pan, stir in the onions, garlic, celery and the bay leaves, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft but hardly coloured - about 20 mins.
- Quarter the lemons lengthways, cut out the pithy core and remove the seeds. Chop into very small pieces, each with a bit of peel. Stir the chilli powder, cumin and oregano into the onions and stir-fry for a couple of mins, then return the meat, adding the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, lemon, wine and stock. Stir as the dish heats up, then simmer, covered, for 1 hr 30 mins. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Can be frozen at this stage for up to 1 month - defrost overnight in the fridge before continuing with the recipe.
- Add the beans to the pan - if you're using canned beans, rinse them first. Cook, uncovered, for a further 30 mins. Can be cooled at this stage and kept covered in the fridge for 24 hrs.
- Tip the soured cream into a bowl, snip the chives into small pieces then scatter them over the soured cream, cover and refrigerate until serving.
- To make the guacamole, halve the avocados lengthways, remove the stone and use a fork to mash the flesh into its shell. Scoop out into a bowl, mashing further if necessary (I like it lumpy). Add the chillies, onions and the garlic crushed to a paste with a little salt. Squeeze over the juice of 3 limes, season with black pepper and add the chopped coriander. Mix, adding extra lime juice to taste. Cover with cling film, allowing it to touch the surface. Chill until required.
- To prepare the couscous, boil the kettle and measure 750ml water into a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and couscous. Stir, cover with cling film and leave to soak for 30 mins, then fluff up with a fork.
- Prepare the corn chips up to 1 hr before serving. Spread the chips on baking sheets, scatter over the cheese and place under a hot grill for 2-4 mins until molten and crusty. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with the chilli, couscous, guacamole, soured cream and chives and some coriander leaves sprinkled over the top, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 548 calories, Fat 34 grams fat, SaturatedFat 14 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 18 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 9 grams sugar, Fiber 7 grams fiber, Protein 36 grams protein, Sodium 1.6 milligram of sodium
CHILLI CON CARNE RECIPE
This great chilli recipe has to be one of the best dishes to serve to friends for a casual get-together. An easy sharing favourite that uses up storecupboard ingredients.
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Lunch
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Prepare your vegetables. Chop 1 large onion into small dice, about 5mm square. The easiest way to do this is to cut the onion in half from root to tip, peel it and slice each half into thick matchsticks lengthways, not quite cutting all the way to the root end so they are still held together. Slice across the matchsticks into neat dice.
- Cut 1 red pepper in half lengthways, remove stalk and wash the seeds away, then chop. Peel and finely chop 2 garlic cloves.
- Start cooking. Put your pan on the hob over a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and leave it for 1-2 minutes until hot (a little longer for an electric hob).
- Add the onion and cook, stirring fairly frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft, squidgy and slightly translucent.
- Tip in the garlic, red pepper, 1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder or 1 level tbsp mild chilli powder, 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp ground cumin.
- Give it a good stir, then leave it to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Brown 500g lean minced beef. Turn the heat up a bit, add the meat to the pan and break it up with your spoon or spatula. The mix should sizzle a bit when you add the mince.
- Keep stirring and prodding for at least 5 minutes, until all the mince is in uniform, mince-sized lumps and there are no more pink bits. Make sure you keep the heat hot enough for the meat to fry and become brown, rather than just stew.
- Make the sauce. Crumble 1 beef stock cube into 300ml hot water. Pour this into the pan with the mince mixture.
- Add a 400g can of chopped tomatoes. Tip in ½ tsp dried marjoram, 1 tsp sugar and add a good shake of salt and pepper. Squirt in about 2 tbsp tomato purée and stir the sauce well.
- Simmer it gently. Bring the whole thing to the boil, give it a good stir and put a lid on the pan. Turn down the heat until it is gently bubbling and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Check on the pan occasionally to stir it and make sure the sauce doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan or isn't drying out. If it is, add a couple of tablespoons of water and make sure that the heat really is low enough. After simmering gently, the saucy mince mixture should look thick, moist and juicy.
- Drain and rinse a 410g can of red kidney beans in a sieve and stir them into the chilli pot. Bring to the boil again, and gently bubble without the lid for another 10 minutes, adding a little more water if it looks too dry.
- Taste a bit of the chilli and season. It will probably take a lot more seasoning than you think.
- Now replace the lid, turn off the heat and leave your chilli to stand for 10 minutes before serving. This is really important as it allows the flavours to mingle.
- Serve with soured cream and plain boiled long grain rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 387 calories, Fat 17 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 25 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 1 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 36 grams protein, Sodium 2.32 milligram of sodium
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI - MODIFIED
- Fry bacon in a heavy pot until crisp and the fat is rendered. Remove and reserve bacon. pour off most of the bacon fat into a heavy cast iron skillet, leaving a small amount in the pot. Brown the meat and garlic in the skillet. Saute onions in the fat remaining in the pot until soft. Add the meat, bacon, ground chilies, dried spices, the sauces, green chilies, Jalapenos, stock and tomatoes. Simmer for two hours. Allow the chili to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours to give the spices a chance to intensify. For garnishes, serve fresh chopped Jalapenos, chopped raw onions, shredded Monterey or Sharp Cheddar cheese, and saltines. Add rest of ingredients abd continue to simmer. Adjust seasonings.
CHILI CON CARNE
Just my own version of spicy chili. It helps to have a garden with fresh spicy peppers and big tomatoes. If you haven't cooked with cayenne peppers before - don't be deceived by their small size. They pack a punch. I mince them in their entirety - no removal of seeds or membranes.
Provided by cathianne
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 , 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Start rice so that it will be done when chili is done.
- Saute bell pepper, onion, cayenne peppers and garlic in olive oil. Sprinkle with white pepper.
- When onions are almost translucent, add ground beef. Chop it as it cooks so that it is crumbly. Sprinkle paprika, chili powder, and vinegar over beef. Cook at medium heat until is it lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes. I like to mash them with a potato masher once they've been cooking for a few minutes.
- Add black beans once the tomatoes are soft. Cover and reduce heat slightly. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 516.8, Fat 10.3, SaturatedFat 3.3, Cholesterol 70.3, Sodium 95.2, Carbohydrate 69.2, Fiber 11, Sugar 5.6, Protein 36.7
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI CON CARNE
- Fry bacon in a heavy pot till crisp and the fat is rendered.
- Remove and reserve bacon.
- Pour off most of the bacon fat into a heavy cast iron skillet, leaving s small amount in the pot. Brown the meat and garlic in the skillet. Saute onions in the fat remaining in the pot until soft. Add the meat, bacon, ground chilies, dried spices, the sauces, green chilies, Jalapenos, stock and tomatoes.
- Simmer for two hours.
- Allow the chili to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours to give the spices a chance to intensify.
- For garnishes, serve fresh chopped Jalapenos, chopped raw onions, shredded Monterey or sharp Cheddar cheese, and saltines.
- Serves 8 generously.
- Joe & Shirley Stewart's Championship Chili.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 721.6, Fat 41.3, SaturatedFat 13.8, Cholesterol 212.4, Sodium 1056.7, Carbohydrate 14.2, Fiber 3.3, Sugar 5.5, Protein 70.8
More about "oakwood feed store chili con carne recipes"
CHILLI CON CARNE | RECIPETIN EATS
CHILI CON CARNE - SIMONE'S KITCHEN
CHILI CON CARNE? : RECIPES
BEST WESTERN FOOD RECIPES: OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI CON CARNE
CHILI LIST - RADICIO.COM
CHILI CON CARNE - THE SEASONED MOM
RECIPE: OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI? - ANSWERS
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI - COMPLETERECIPES.COM
BIG BATCH CHILI CON CARNE - ATCO BLUE FLAME KITCHEN
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI RECIPE - COOKING INDEX
CHILI CON CARNE | HEALTHY RECIPES WIKI | FANDOM
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI RECIPES DETAILS COOKING B - ALL RECIPES …
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI CON CARNE - PLAIN.RECIPES
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI - BIGOVEN.COM
SAUSAGE CHILI CON CARNE - JANEVA'S KITCHEN
CHILI CON CARNE RECIPES
CLAY'S KITCHEN : CHILI RECIPES - PANIX
RECIPE FOR CHILI CON CARNE - FOOD NEWS
CHILI CON CARNE (TEXAS BEEF CHILI) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
7 BEEF STORE RECIPES | RECIPELAND
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
CHILLI CON CARNE - NICKY'S KITCHEN SANCTUARY
OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI - BEYONDMEALS.COM
MORE COMFORT FOOD: CHILE CON CARNE : RECIPES
RECIPES > MEXICAN > HOW TO MAKE OAKWOOD FEED STORE CHILI
CHILE CON CARNE | DOROTHY LANE MARKET
CHUNKY CHILI CON CARNE | CANADIAN LIVING
RECIPES CHILI CON CARNE | SOSCUISINE
CLAY'S KITCHEN : CHILI RECIPES
WE COOK UP SOME FUN ON NATIONAL CHILI DAY | CTV NEWS
#time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #north-american #main-dish #american #southwestern-united-states #tex-mex #chili #dietary #gluten-free #free-of-something #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love