HAM BONE AND GREEN SPLIT PEA SOUP
- Melt butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add celery, onion, carrot, and salt. Cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas and garlic. Nestle ham bone into the pot; add stock and diced ham. Fill pot with water to about 1 1/2 inches from the top. Mix and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer, scraping the bottom of the pot and stirring every 30 minutes, until peas are mostly disintegrated, about 2 1/2 hours. Turn ham bone and skim surface for fat once every hour. Take bone out, remove any meat, and return meat to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 302.6 calories, Carbohydrate 47.8 g, Cholesterol 10.1 mg, Fat 3.9 g, Fiber 19.4 g, Protein 21.2 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 670 mg, Sugar 7 g
UNCLE BILL'S GREEN SPLIT PEA WITH HAMBONE SOUP
- Rinse peas well in cold water and add to a large cooking pot.
- Measure 8 cups of water and add to cooking pot.
- Bring to boil, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Return to stove and bring back to boil.
- Add ham bone, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaf, beef bouillon, salt, peppercorns and dried thyme.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone and cut off any remaining ham, cut into bite size pieces and return to soup.
- Discard ham bone.
- If there are big pieces of ham in the soup, remove, cut into bite size pieces and return to soup.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If you desire a smooth soup, then puree' in batches in a food processor or blender.
- Or eat the soup without puree'ing.
- If soup is too thick, add more water to your desired consistency.
- Beef broth or chicken broth may be added, just reduce the water by the amounts used.
- Smoked ham hocks are excellent to use instead of a ham bone.
- If there is not enough ham on the ham bone, then add additional ham of your choice.
- You may also use about 1/4 teaspoon of Liquid Hickory Smoke, to get a smokey flavor.
- You may also use whole peas, but it will take a bit longer to cook these peas so that they are tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 128.5, Fat 0.5, SaturatedFat 0.1, Cholesterol 0.1, Sodium 390.9, Carbohydrate 23.3, Fiber 9.2, Sugar 4.3, Protein 8.6
OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE
Not only is this old-fashioned favorite a snap to make but it's economical, too. Carrots, celery and onion accent the subtle flavor of the split peas, while a ham bone adds a meaty touch to this hearty soup. It's sure to chase away autumn's chill. -Laurie Todd, Columbus, Mississippi
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Sort peas and rinse with cold water. Place peas in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until peas are softened. Drain and rinse peas, discarding liquid., Return peas to Dutch oven. Add 2-1/2 qts. water, ham bone, onion, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally., Remove the ham bone; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone. Discard bone; dice meat and return to soup. Add carrot and celery. Simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes or until soup reaches desired thickness and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 202 calories, Fat 3g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 11mg cholesterol, Sodium 267mg sodium, Carbohydrate 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 12g fiber), Protein 14g protein.
CANADIAN YELLOW SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM
Creamy yellow pea soup studded with bits of ham, carrots, celery, and thyme. There is nothing like this one on a cold day! I am a Canadian now living in the US. and cannot get Habitant® soup anymore, so I came up with this version. I think it is as good as the real thing, if not better, because it is homemade.
Provided by channyharte
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Place split peas, ham bone, carrots, onion, celery, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper into a large pot; pour in water. Bring mixture to a boil and skim off any foam with a spoon. Reduce heat; place a lid on the pot slightly ajar to allow some evaporation. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and soup is thick, about 3 hours.
- Remove ham bone from soup; strip meat from ham bone, chop meat, and return it to the pot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 171.8 calories, Carbohydrate 31.9 g, Fat 0.1 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 11.8 g, Sodium 995.1 mg, Sugar 3.1 g
GRANDMA'S SPLIT PEA SOUP
After any family ham dinner, my grandmother, and then my mother, and finally me, always use the hambone to make this hearty, home-y soup.
Provided by Chefiebig
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Combine all ingredients in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thick.
- Remove bone, skin, and any fat.
- Chop meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Season to taste.
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM
- In a Dutch oven or 5-quart heavy pot with a lid, heat oil over medium. Add onion, carrots, celery, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add broth, split peas, ham bone, and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and partially cover; simmer until peas are soft, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make croutons: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add bread and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Remove and discard bone from soup. Working in batches, puree only 1/2 the soup in a blender (don't overfill); return to pot. Add ham cubes, and simmer until heated through. If necessary, thin with water. Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Serve topped with croutons.
More about "old fashioned split pea soup with ham bone recipes"
OLD-FASHIONED HAM BONE SPLIT PEA SOUP (SLOW-COOKER)
5/5 (8)Total Time 4 hrs 15 minsCategory SoupCalories 194 per serving
- Give everything a quick stir, and then set slow cooker to HIGH and cook 4-6 hours. If possible, stir it about halfway through.
- After cooking for 5-6 hours, the meat on the ham-bone should be falling apart. Reduce the slow cooker to LOW. If your soup seems too thick, add more water at this time.
- Using tongs or an extra-large serving spoon, carefully remove ham bone to a plate to cool.When the ham bone is cool enough to handle, remove any ham and return the meat to the soup. Discard the ham bone.
CLASSIC SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.2/5 (34)Total Time 3 hrs 10 minsCuisine AmericanCalories 75 per serving
OLD FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPES
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH BARLEY AND HAM RECIPES
OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM - SELENE RIVER PRESS
OLD FASHIONED HAM BONE SPLIT PEA SOUP - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT …
HAM AND SPLIT PEA SOUP BONE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM - ONCE UPON A CHEF
10 BEST SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE RECIPES - YUMMLY
OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE RECIPE: HOW TO …
OLD-FASHIONED HAM BONE SPLIT PEA SOUP (SLOW-COOKER RECIPE)
OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE [VIDEO] | RECIPE …
SPLIT PEA AND LEFTOVER HAM SOUP RECIPES
OLD FASHIONED HAM BONE SPLIT PEA SOUP - CREATE THE MOST …
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH LEFTOVER HAM BONE - THERESCIPES.INFO
SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE WITH HAM - HOW TO MAKE ON THE STOVE
OLD FASHIONED PEA SOUP BEST RECIPES
OLD FASHIONED HAM BONE SPLIT PEA SOUP BEST RECIPES
OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE - PINTEREST
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM | THE RECIPE CRITIC
OLD FASHIONED HAM BONE SPLIT PEA SOUP : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST ...
JULIA CHILD’S SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM - IN THE KITCHEN WITH KATH
OLD-FASHIONED PEA SOUP - RICARDO
20+ OLD FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE RECIPE PICS
OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE | PUNCHFORK
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE (PEA AND HAM SOUP ... - COOK IT …
SPLIT PEA & HAM SOUP (USING THE HAM BONE)
HAM BONE CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE - THE GRACIOUS WIFE
OLD FASHIONED HAM BONE SOUP - FRUGAL HAUSFRAU
SPLIT PEA AND HAM SOUP IS AN OLD FASHIONED MEAL IN A BOWL
PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE RECIPES - RECIPESFORWEB
OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE RECIPE
SOUP BONE RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
SPLIT PEA SOUP - KITCHEN NOSTALGIA
OLD FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM BONE BEST RECIPES
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM - INDIANA MOMMY
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
Is split pea soup with ham bone a good recipe?It is a great soup, especially on a cold day. Split pea soup with ham bone recipe made on the stove in a stock pot. Carrots, onions also a part of this easy to make soup that is comfort food for the fall. In a 10 qt pot bring water, with the ham bone in pot, to a boil.
How to make split peas soup?In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until fragrant. Drain split peas and add to pot with ham bone, bay leaves, thyme, chicken stock, and water. Stir to combine. Bring soup mixture to a boil.
How to cook ham bone in soup?Melt butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add celery, onion, carrot, and salt. Cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas and garlic. Nestle ham bone into the pot; add stock and diced ham. Fill pot with water to about 1 1/2 inches from the top. Mix and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover.
How long do you cook peas and Ham in soup?Reduce heat; place a lid on the pot slightly ajar to allow some evaporation. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and soup is thick, about 3 hours. Remove ham bone from soup; strip meat from ham bone, chop meat, and return it to the pot.