In New York, as in most North American cities these days, oysters are relatively plentiful, whether they're harvested locally or flown in from afar. Open space for lighting bonfires, however, is in decidedly short supply, so we set about adapting the oyster roast's winning combination of extreme informality and indulgence to a city setting.
Provided by Matt Lee And Ted Lee
Categories appetizer, side dish
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Heat oven to 475 degrees. Working in batches, arrange oysters in a single layer in a 12-by-16-inch roasting pan fitted with a flat rack. Pour 1/3. inch of hot tap water into pan, and bake for 7 minutes, or until oyster shells have begun to open.
- Using gloves or tongs, transfer oysters to a table covered in newspaper for guests to shuck, garnish and eat while next batch cooks. Add water to pan as necessary, and repeat roasting until all oysters have been served, about 45 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges hot sauce, and sour orange mignonette.
PERFECT TURKEY IN AN ELECTRIC ROASTER OVEN
I never found good information on making a great whole roasted turkey in an electric roaster oven and thought I'd share my tried and true tips for making your holiday turkey moist and beautiful and delicious! I've read that roaster ovens effectively 'steam' the turkey making the meat come out ... well, steamed. This is not true. Follow these tips and your holiday turkey will get rave reviews!
Provided by Squirrel Gone Wild
Categories Whole Turkey
Yield 1 Turkey, 18 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Take the insert pan out of the roaster and pre-heat the roaster to its highest setting. On mine it's 450, but use 500 if your oven goes that high.
- Do not wash the turkey! The USDA says that washing it could cause a spread of salmonella poisoning. Sprinkle salt in the cavities. Stuff if desired. Don't pre-stuff your turkey; mix and stuff ingredients immediately before roasting. Tossing in a few pieces of cut fruit or herbs is not considered 'stuffing.' Stuffing usually means filling up the cavity with about ¾ cup stuffing per pound of turkey.
- Rub the entire bird with olive oil or butter. Doctor up your bird with whatever special seasonings you wish. I always use poultry seasoning. Finish with a good sprinkle of seasoning salt and black pepper.
- I highly recommend using a wired thermometer so you can watch the temperature without lifting the lid. Your turkey will be done much earlier than the estimated cook time, so keep a sharp eye on that thermometer. If using a pop-up turkey plug type thermometer, those little pop-ups stick sometimes so you should really use two of them.
- Put the rack into the insert pan and make sure the handles are up, not tucked below. Put the bird in the insert pan on top of the rack. Don't add water to the pan. Put the insert pan back into the roasting pan. If your roaster doesn't have an insert pan, it's ok - just be very careful putting the bird into that hot oven, you don't want to burn your hands on the sides of the oven! Cover.
- Roast at highest setting for 30 minutes. The butter/oil, seasonings and the searing time will make the skin beautifully browned and perfect!
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 325.
- The turkey will self-baste if you do not lift the lid, so you don't have to baste it every 20 minutes like you do in your conventional oven. DO NOT LIFT LID during cooking time! Lifting the lid will increase cooking time because roaster ovens lose their heat unlike regular ovens. I've read that roaster ovens effectively 'steam' the turkey making the meat come out -- well, steamed. This is not true as you will find out. Similar to the roasted chickens you can get at your supermarket, the bird will come out moist and perfectly roasted. Why do you think they call it a Roaster Oven?.
- Figure your total cooking time from the time you first put the bird in the roaster. The Butterball website has a great calculator:.
- FINAL TEMPERATURE FOR SAFETY AND DONENESS IS: 180 DEGREES IN THIGH AND 165 DEGREES IN BREAST AND STUFFING. Juices should be clear, not pink.
- Check your turkey EARLY. Really start watching the temp an hour before it's supposed to be done. Your turkey will almost certainly be done before the suggested cooking time. Watch your wired meat thermometer. If using a pop-up turkey plug type thermometer, check by lifting the lid quickly so the oven doesn't lose its heat. If necessary, check after another 30 minutes, but I doubt you'll have to do that. I say check after 30 minutes because it's really OK to let the bird roast a little extra - you won't dry it out using my method if you let it go for 1/2 hour.
- When done, remove the turkey from the roaster, tent with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes. This allows the juices to really seep into the meat, so they say.
- If you try this method, please let us know your results!
- Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 482.9, Fat 25.9, SaturatedFat 6.9, Cholesterol 193.8, Sodium 185.3, Carbohydrate 0.1, Protein 58.2
More about "oster roasting oven recipes"
OSTER ROASTER OVEN COOKBOOK FOR BEGINNERS: SIMPLE AND EASY …
Reviews 9Format PaperbackAuthor Marthan Stanet
OSTER ROASTER OVEN COOKBOOK FOR BEGINNERS: SIMPLE AND EASY …
Reviews 9Format HardcoverAuthor Marthan Stanet
COOK THE BEST SMOKING TURKEY – OSTER SMOKER ROASTER OVEN
COOK ANYTHING IN AN ELECTRIC ROASTER OVEN | SURPRISING RECIPE IDEAS
OSTER COUNTERTOP OVEN WITH AIR FRYER RECIPES
OSTER OVEN RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
OSTER 18 QUART ROASTER OVEN TURKEY RECIPE
RECIPES | OSTER
60 RECIPES TO MAKE IN A ROASTING PAN | TASTE OF HOME
HOW LONG COOK TURKEY IN OSTER ROASTER OVEN
13+ EASY ROASTER OVEN RECIPES- TOP RECIPES
160 BEST ROASTER OVEN RECIPES IDEAS - PINTEREST
OSTER ROASTER OVEN RECIPES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
OSTER COUNTERTOP OVEN RECIPES - EASY KITCHEN APPLIANCES
RECIPES BY COURSE - MAIN COURSES - OSTER CANADA
RIVAL ROASTER OVEN COOKBOOK - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
TOP 10 RECOMMENDED OSTER 22 QUART ROASTER OVEN RECIPES
28 LB TURKEY ROASTER OVEN - THERESCIPES.INFO
OSTER 22 QUART ROASTER OVEN RECIPES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED …
HOW TO ROAST A PERFECT PRIME RIB IN AN ELECTRIC ROASTER OVEN
HOW TO COOK A CHICKEN IN MY OSTER ROASTER OVEN
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN PIECES IN AN ELECTRIC ROASTER OVEN
ROASTER OVENS | HAMILTONBEACH.COM
ROASTER OVEN RECIPES AND IDEAS - PINTEREST
HOW TO COOK IN AN ELECTRIC ROASTER (PLUS TURKEY & HAM RECIPES)
WHAT CAN YOU COOK IN A ROASTER OVEN ’15 RECIPE IDEAS’
ROAST BEEF - OSTER
OSTER AIR FRYER RECIPES
RECIPES BY PRODUCT - TOASTERS & OVENS - OSTER CANADA
OSTER CONVECTION COUNTERTOP OVEN RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
OSTER ROASTER OVEN RECIPES HAM - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
HOW TO USE A ROASTER OVEN TO COOK A CHUCK ROAST | LIVESTRONG
OSTER ROASTER OVEN RECIPES TURKEY - THERESCIPES.INFO
OSTER ELECTRIC ROASTER BEEF BRISKET : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
100 ROASTER OVEN RECIPES IDEAS - PINTEREST
SMOKING MEAT THE RIGHT WAY | TALENTED OSTER SMOKER ROASTER OVEN
HOW TO COOK TENDER AND JUICY RIBS IN A ROASTER OVEN
6 SURPRISING WAYS TO USE YOUR ROASTER OVEN | HAMILTONBEACH.COM
10 WAYS TO USE YOUR ROASTER OVEN FOR MORE THAN JUST TURKEY
OSTER ROASTER OVEN PULLED PORK RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
SHOP BY CATEGORY - HAMILTON BEACH
HOW TO COOK RIBS IN OSTER ROASTER OVEN - MONTALVOSPIRIT
ELECTRIC ROASTER OVEN WHOLE CHICKEN RECIPES – RECIPE SELF
26 ROASTER OVEN RECIPES IDEAS - PINTEREST.CA
ROASTER OVEN CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE - EVERYDAY GOOD THINKING
OSTER ROASTING OVEN RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
You'll also love