EASY PHILLY CHEESESTEAK
Smothered with melted cheese and stuffed into a hoagie roll, this authentic Philly cheesesteak sandwich is delicious in its simplicity.
Provided by Natalya Drozhzhin
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Slice ribeye into thin strips. Cut bell peppers into long strips, onion into half rings and mushrooms into bite-sized pieces.
- Preheat an oiled skillet over high-heat. Add onions, bell peppers and mushrooms to the skillet. Sautee until all veggies are golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add sliced beef to the same skillet and season with salt and pepper. Sautee until the beef is fully cooked. Add vegetables back to the skillet and stir to combine. Top with cheese slices and let mixture sit for a minute to melt.
- Stuff toasted or untoasted hoagie buns with the mixture. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 682 kcal, Carbohydrate 8 g, Protein 48 g, Fat 51 g, SaturatedFat 25 g, Cholesterol 160 mg, Sodium 769 mg, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 4 g, ServingSize 1 serving
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK (THE WAY I REMEMBER IT)
Lived in N. E. Philly until 1972. Moved to Wilkes-Barre area. There was one place that made cheesesteaks that was awesome. THAT'S the recipe I've submitted. Dicing the onion early in the day alters the strong taste of onion to give the sandwich that certain "taste". Green Peppers are NOT the norm only an option as are mushrooms.
Provided by SarikaKisSzentem
Categories < 30 Mins
Yield 3 Hoagies, 3 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Large dice the onions and set them aside earlier in the day; covered with a paper towel.
- Pour the peanut oil into a large hot stainless steel fry pan. Quickly saute the onions tossing them often until they become slightly translucent and tinged with brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same hot pan add some of the meat (not all; it will sweat and release too much liquid) and roughly tear apart with two forks. When nicely browned remove and keep warm. Continue to do all the meat.
- Slice the hoagie buns (make sure they are really fresh. To get them sllightly crispy leave them early in the day uncovered) and place 1/3 of the meat in each. Top evenly with the cheese. Distribute the cooked onions and place in 300 degree oven on a baking pan until cheese is melted.
- You have the options of using either ketchup or a marinara sauce.
A REAL PHILLY CHEESESTEAK
I come from Philly and now live in Alaska. What they think is a Philly Cheese Steak involves green peppers and onions. So if thats what you are looking for, then no dice. If you want something similar to what they sell in every pizza place in the philly metro area, this is as close as you can get from outside the state
Provided by Fleischer
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- MEAT: Make friends with your butcher. You need him to partially freeze a hunk of Rib Eye, and then slice it very thin. You want it sliced thin even though common sense tells us that thick is better. You can buy the hunk of rib eye and freeze and slice it yourself, but the butcher generally does a better job than I do. I can only get it about 1/8" thick and he does about.
- BREAD: This is the hard part. If you aren't in the tristate area, and can't get AMOROSOS rolls (the only thing that is REALLY good on a cheesesteak) then you have to find a substitute. Squishy sub rolls will NOT do. They do not hold together under pressure. Refrain from buying those "hero" rolls too. A good hoagie roll is almost rubbery in texture, but quite soft. The best substitute I have found is a loaf of French bread. Not as good as the real thing, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.
- Toppings: All of this is personal choice. I like fried onions and mushrooms myself.
- Cheeses used vary - I hate to admit it but I think cheese whiz tastes the best. Provolone is awesome too and thats what I would use if I was afraid of the plastic orange stuff called whiz.
- Cooking the steak: In a cast iron frying pan, or a grill pan heat some oil. Saute toppings until pliable - make them however you like them. Remove them from pan and set aside.
- Pour some more oil in the pan (I use olive oil, but if you have access to the stuff they use in restaurants on grills it would taste even better) on medium high heat. Place 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound of meat in the pan, lying the pieces flat and overlapping to form a shape that will fit nicely in a bun.
- When the meat turns grey with doneness, flip it over and if you are using cheese slices now is the time to lie them on top of the meat. Add the other toppings back into the pan next to the meat and allow to reheat. Cover the pan to allow the cheese to melt. This should take 1-2 minutes. If the meat looks overcooked, thats ok - i t should be GRAY.
- This is the time to toast the bread if you so wish. I don't like mine toasted at all. Warmed is ok.
- If you are using cheese whiz, warm it in the microwave. Pick up meat and melted cheese with a spatula and deposit on the roll. IF using cheese whiz, use a butter knife or chopstick to smear whiz next to the meat.
- Push the meat on one side of the roll and deposit the toppings next to it. This is important because if you put the toppings ON the meat, they will not be in the bottom of the sandwich, which really sux.
- You should get meat, toppings and cheese in every bite.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 477.7, Fat 27.5, SaturatedFat 10.6, Cholesterol 77.1, Sodium 373.6, Carbohydrate 30, Fiber 1.3, Sugar 1, Protein 25.5
LEAN PHILLY CHEESESTEAK
This is adapted from Cooking Light. It still has 12.3 g total fat and 56 mg cholesterol and is a little high in sodium (942 mg) but worth the splurge occasionally.
Provided by TXOLDHAM
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Saute onion bell peppers, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. Reduce heat and continue to cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar, oregano, vinegar and salt. Add cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Combine the beef broth and sliced beef in a bowl and microwave until hot.
- Place 3 ounces beef mixture in each bun and top with cheese mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 210.5, Fat 5.6, SaturatedFat 1, Sodium 356.6, Carbohydrate 35.4, Fiber 3.5, Sugar 10.2, Protein 6.1
AUTHENTIC PHILLY CHEESESTEAK
This is the way they do it in philly. You can get almost any butcher to shave the meat thin for you.
Provided by GingerlyJ
Yield 4 sandwiches, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- add three tablespoons oil to skillet and heat
- add onions and saute to desired doneness.
- heat three more tablespoons oil and saute peppers.
- remove from pan and set aside.
- add remaining three tablespoons oil and brown meat quickly.
- break the meat into smaller pieces as it is cooking with two spatulas.
- melt cheez whiz in microwave.
- divide meat among rolls.
- add onions and peppers
- top with cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1287.9, Fat 106.1, SaturatedFat 43.5, Cholesterol 233.6, Sodium 2159.8, Carbohydrate 35.5, Fiber 3.3, Sugar 10.8, Protein 46.9
Principally made up of thinly sliced pieces of steak and melted cheese on a long Italian roll with vegetable options. a Philadelphia comfort food.
Provided by Kana K.
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat a griddle, iron skillet or a non stick pan over medium heat. Add 3 Tablespoons of oil to the pan & sauté the onions to desired doneness.
- Remove the vegetables and add the remaining oil and sauté slices of meat quickly on both sides, The slices will quickly brown, scramble into smaller pieces with a flat spatula.
- Melt the Cheez Whiz in a pot or in the microwave.
- Place 6 oz. of the meat into the rolls and push the meat on one side of the roll and deposit the toppings next to it.
- Use a butter knife or chopstick to smear the whiz next to the meat.
- This is important because if you put the toppings ON the meat, they will not be in the bottom of the sandwich. You should get meat, toppings and cheese in every bite.
- Pizza Steak Variation - instead of using cheese whiz, top with pizza sauce & sliced or crumbled mozzarella. Place briefly under a broiler to melt & lightly brown the cheese.
More about "philly cheesesteak the way i remember it recipes"
CLASSIC PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE - COOKTHESTORY
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 20 minsCategory EntréeCalories 672 per serving
- Add the onions and cook until just starting to soften, 3-4 minutes. Increase heat to medium high.
- Add steak and stir. Move the meat and onions around to form a single layer and leave it alone for a minute, until it darkens underneath. Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Arrange meat in the skillet into two oblong piles that are the length and width of your buns. Top each pile with two slices of cheese covering as much of the meat as possible.
EASY HOMEMADE PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE A …
Reviews 8Calories 795 per servingCategory Super Bowl, Weeknight Meals, Dinner
BEST PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SAUCE RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
HOMEMADE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK - THE TEXAS WAY! - SIMPLY MADISYNN
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK BOWL | SUNBASKET
SECRETS OF ULTIMATE TENDER & FLAVORFUL PHILLY CHEESE STEAK
ULTIMATE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE - SMOKED BBQ SOURCE
THE BEST PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE - CHEF BILLY PARISI
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE | COMPLETE STEPWISE INSTRUCTIONS
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
SUPER-TENDER PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE - ALYONA’S COOKING
20+ BEST PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPES-PHILLY CHEEESTEAK INSPIRED
10 BEST PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPES | YUMMLY
HOW TO MAKE PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS | KITCHN
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST PHILLY CHEESESTEAK- BAKER BETTIE
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK CASSEROLE - CASSEROLE RECIPES
EASY PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE (+VIDEO!) - BUTTER BE READY
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK - JO COOKS
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK STEW - THE COZY APRON
EASY PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS | FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE WITH PEPPERS AND ONIONS
HOW TO MAKE A PHILLY CHEESESTEAK BECAUSE WE ARE SICK AND TIRED …
BEST EVER CHEESESTEAK - THE TOASTY KITCHEN
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE, THE GLORIOUS PRIDE OF PHILADELPHIA
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE · I AM A FOOD BLOG
HOMEMADE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE (SO EASY!) - CARLSBAD CRAVINGS
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK EGG ROLLS RECIPES | HEALTHYRECIPES.EXTREMEFATLOSS
THE BEST DAMN PHILLY CHEESESTEAK YOU'LL EVER EAT - DELISHABLY
SAVORY AND DELICIOUS PHILLY CHEESESTEAK CASSEROLE
AUTHENTIC PHILLY CHEESE STEAK RECIPE - EVERYDAYMAVEN™
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK DIP RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
QUICK PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE | AN EASY DINNER RECIPE
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE - GOOD LIFE XPLORERS
BEST EVER PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS - COOKING WITH KARLI
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE | THE ART OF MANLINESS
EASY PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE - TWOSLEEVERS
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK CASSEROLE - NO SUGAR NO FLOUR RECIPES
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK STEW - BAREFEET IN THE KITCHEN
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a Philly cheesesteak?A classic Philly cheesesteak consists of thinly shaved steak (usually ribeye or top round) and is traditionally cooked on a griddle. It’s a wonderful sandwich. When you bite into it you get the savory pieces of thin steak and melty, gooey cheese. Add in some good bread and caramelized onions and you are in for a treat!
How to make the Best Philly cheese steak recipe?Step 1 – Marinate Steak: Marinating the steak is KEY for the Best Philly Cheese Steak recipe. The marinade is where all the flavor comes from AND it tenderizes the meat. Our marinade consists of a simple mixture of Dijon, balsamic, Worcestershire and seasonings.
What toppings do you put on a Philly cheesesteak?Some versions also contain mushrooms, sweet peppers, hot peppers, banana peppers, pimientos, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, olives and/or pepperoncinis. So while I’ve kept this Philly Cheesesteak recipe simple with steak, onions, bell peppers and cheese, feel free to add whatever toppings your heart – or belly – desires!
Do you have to refrigerate Philly cheesesteak?You should store your cooked Philly cheesesteak meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I like to refrigerate mine with any leftover drippings in the pan for extra moisture and flavor. When stored correctly, cooked beef will keep fresh for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.