RED BEANS AND RICE
- Place the vegetable oil in a 7-quart Dutch oven and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, salt and pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions and celery are semi-translucent and the bell peppers are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the pickled pork, bay leaves, thyme, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, water and beans to the pot and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring frequently until the mixture comes to a boil, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Decrease the heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat slightly to maintain a steady simmer and continue to cook for another 30 to 40 minutes or until the beans are tender and the sauce is thickened to your liking. If you prefer an even creamier texture, mash some of the beans with a potato masher.
- Prepare rice during the last 30 minutes of cooking the beans. Place the water into an electric kettle and bring to a boil. While the water is coming to a boil place the butter into a 3-quart saucepan, set over medium heat. Once the butter begins to bubble, add the rice and stir to combine. Add the salt and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Carefully pour the water over the rice and stir to combine. Decrease the heat to the lowest setting, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve the beans over the rice.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the ice and the pork in a 2-quart non-reactive saucepan, set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and maintain a simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the ice and stir. Place the pork into a 1-gallon zip top bag and add the cooled pickling liquid. Remove as much air as possible; seal the bag and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 days, turning the bag occasionally. Use within 2 weeks or remove from the pork from the brine and freeze.
RED BEANS AND RICE
- Place the beans in a large bowl or pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add the tasso and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the onions, celery and bell peppers to the grease in the pot. Season with the salt, pepper, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the bay leaves, parsley, thyme, sausage, and ham hocks, and cook, stirring, to brown the sausage and ham hocks, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and stock or water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and starting to thicken, about 2 hours. (Should the beans become too thick and dry, add more water, about 1/4 cup at a time.)
- Remove from the heat and with the back of a heavy spoon, mash about 1/4 of the beans against the side of the pot. Continue to cook until the beans are tender and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.
RED BEANS AND RICE
- In a large skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, celery, green bell pepper, and garlic until tender. Add the smoked sausage, Neelys Dry Rub, thyme, salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes then add the red beans, chicken stock and bay leaves. Let simmer uncovered on low for 1 1/2 hours. Stirring occasionally and adding water, if necessary.
- While the beans are cooking add all the ingredients for the rice to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes. Once the rice is cooked, let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with the red beans.
AUTHENTIC LOUISIANA RED BEANS AND RICE
Authentic Cajun flavor! I grew up in Louisiana and love red beans and rice; these are just like I remember. Serve with Tabasco sauce for a little kick. My family loved to splash a little cider vinegar in each bowl.
Provided by MIAMI BEACH
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Rinse beans, and then soak in a large pot of water overnight.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Rinse beans, and transfer to a large pot with 6 cups water. Stir cooked vegetables into beans. Season with bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir sausage into beans, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice. In a saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve beans over steamed white rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 630.4 calories, Carbohydrate 79.1 g, Cholesterol 32.9 mg, Fat 24.2 g, Fiber 10.1 g, Protein 24 g, SaturatedFat 6.7 g, Sodium 603.9 mg, Sugar 2.6 g
RED BEANS AND RICE WITH SAUSAGE
This recipe was given to me by my sister. It's a hearty dish, and wonderful for the cold winter months. To make a little meatier, I cut up a small ham steak in cubes and add the cubed ham the last 20 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.
Provided by Donna Gandy
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Pick over the dried beans, and soak them in water overnight.
- The next day, drain off the soaking water, and place the beans in a large pot or slow cooker. Cover with water, and stir in the dried garlic and onion, salt, bay leaf, sugar, cayenne pepper, celery seed, cumin, and crushed red pepper flakes. Push the ham hock down into the beans. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer over low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
- Stir in the smoked sausage, simmer for 20 more minutes, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 345.1 calories, Carbohydrate 12.2 g, Cholesterol 55.6 mg, Fat 23.6 g, Fiber 3.9 g, Protein 20.2 g, SaturatedFat 8.3 g, Sodium 1449.8 mg, Sugar 2.7 g
RED BEANS AND RICE
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Saute garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper until tender. Stir in kidney beans, onion powder, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Reduce heat to low and let mixture simmer slowly while you cook the rice.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil and stir in rice and butter. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes without removing the lid. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fold rice and beans gently together and transfer to a serving dish. Serve garnished with cilantro.
RED BEANS AND RICE
"I'm originally from Honduras, where beans are served in different variations for breakfast, lunch and dinner," relates Carin Perkins of Waukesha, Wisconsin. "This bean and rice dish has been enjoyed by my family for generations. It's not spicy but gets nice flavor from the cilantro and cumin.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add cilantro; cook and stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the beans, salt, cumin and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts :
MY RED BEANS AND RICE
- Place red beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat; cook sausage until cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer sausage to a work surface and slice.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onions, bell pepper, celery, and bay leaves until softened, about 5 minutes. Add sausage, ham, and 1/2 of the Creole seasoning; saute over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir drained beans into sausage mixture.
- Mix chicken broth, garlic, and remaining Creole seasoning into bean mixture; cover skillet and simmer on low for 3 hours.
- Stir tomato sauce, vinegar, and 1/2 of the green onions into bean mixture, slightly smashing beans with a potato masher. Simmer, uncovered, until thickened and beans are tender, about 30 minutes more. Mix remaining green onions and parsley into beans and serve over cooked rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 507.7 calories, Carbohydrate 80.5 g, Cholesterol 27.4 mg, Fat 9.3 g, Fiber 21.8 g, Protein 26.8 g, SaturatedFat 3.9 g, Sodium 2123.8 mg, Sugar 7.8 g
RED BEANS AND RICE
This is my uncle Willie's recipe. He's from Mississippi but has a love for everything New Orleans. I would watch him make this dish over the holidays, so this is my memory of watching Willie all those years. And great rice? I will show you the best trick for cooking it!
Provided by JJ Johnson
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Generously coat the bottom of a large, heavy-bottom saucepan with oil. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne, oregano, basil, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add the beans, ham hock and broth and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.
- Remove the ham hock from the pan but let the beans continue to cook. When the hock is cool enough to handle, take the meat off the bone, chop it into bite-size pieces and return it to the pan.
- Add the rice to the pan along with 1 cup water if more liquid is needed. Cook, tightly covered, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Serve in bowls garnished with parsley.
EASY RED BEANS AND RICE
This is an easy and delicious take on a Louisiana classic that you can prepare and cook in 40 minutes! I use turkey kielbasa to cut down on the fat, but not the flavor. Season with hot pepper sauce if you like.
Provided by Paula
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet over low heat, cook sausage for 5 minutes. Stir in onion, green pepper and garlic; saute until tender. Pour in beans and tomatoes with juice. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 289.1 calories, Carbohydrate 42.4 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Fat 5.7 g, Fiber 7.8 g, Protein 16.3 g, SaturatedFat 1.6 g, Sodium 807.8 mg, Sugar 3.7 g
More about "red beans and rice recipes"
EASY RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CAJUN RED ...
4/5 (4)Category DinnerOccupation Senior Food EditorTotal Time 35 mins
- Cook sausage until slightly browned. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add cayenne, thyme, hot sauce, oregano and beans and stir until fully incorporated.
RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE - IMMACULATE BITES
- Rinse dry beans and pick through and discard any foreign object. (I did not have to do this because I used the package beans,). Add beans to a large pot covering with 3-4 inches of cold water. Let it sit overnight.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Cut sausage and turkey into 1-inch chunks and add to oil, saute for about 3- 5 minutes stirring, frequently, any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until brown.
- Then add onions, garlic, celery, bell peppers, bay leaves, thyme and sprig fresh thyme to the pot. Season vegetables with , creole seasoning, paprika and cayenne, if using. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables start to wilt.
RED BEANS AND RICE - SWANKY RECIPES
- In an extra-large stockpot, add red kidney beans. Fill water to top then cover with foil. Let beans soak at least 12 hours or more. I soak them overnight or about 14 hours.
- Drain water from beans. In a large stockpot, combine beans, bay leaves, and 8-10 cups water. Bring to boil; 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In a separate saucepan, add diced andouille sausage, celery, green pepper, and diced onions. Brown over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add in garlic and ham. Cook 2 minutes. Add mixture to red beans pot.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer(I usually set the heat to level 3 or 4), uncovered, about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Beans should thicken in the pot.
COPYCAT POPEYES RED BEANS AND RICE YOU'LL CRAVE
- Add onion to the pot and cook until the onions begin to soften, scraping the bottom to incorporate the fond.
RED BEANS AND RICE - DAMN DELICIOUS
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
RED BEANS AND RICE – INSTANT POT RECIPES
5/5 (21)Servings 8-10Cuisine ModernCategory Main Course See details »
RED BEANS AND RICE | CREOLE STYLE RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Place dry red beans in a large mixing bowl. Add boiling water, enough to cover the tops. Cover with a plate to seal in the heat. Sit for 3 hours. Drain and rinse in a colander.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Add onions, saute until they start to soften and become fragrant, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, bell peppers and celery, saute for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add softened red beans and chicken broth through freshly ground pepper, stirring to combine. Cover and simmer on low heat, stirring periodically, for 2 hours.
- At 2 hours, smash a cup or two of beans with a potato masher. Stir in smoked andouille sausage and continue to cook for 30 minutes. If the mixture becomes dry (similar to refried beans), add more water to keep the mixture moist, but still thick.,
4 TASTY RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Quick Red Beans and Rice. This easy recipe uses canned red kidney beans for a quick take on this classic. Bacon; the "holy trinity" of onions, bell peppers, and celery; andouille sausage (if desired), and seasonings make this a tasty weekday dinner.
- Red Beans and Rice With Ham and Sausage. This traditional recipe for red beans and rice with sausage or ham is a commitment. It takes three hours and 15 minutes to cook, though the preparation takes just 10 minutes.
- Louisiana Beans and Rice. This is a slightly different version of this concoction, made the Louisiana way. This one uses ham hocks only; you can add smoked sausage if you like.
- Southern Red Beans and Rice. You might be wondering what the difference is in Louisiana red beans and rice and Southern red beans and rice. This recipe turns up the heat with lots of crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, and cumin.
A SATISFYING RED BEANS AND RICE - SIMPLY TRINI COOKING
- Put the beans to boil. Then add the chopped pumpkin, onion, garlic, celery and pimento pepper. Note: You may have to add about a cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes. Then cover and pressure cook for 30 minutes or until the beans are soft.
LOUISIANA STYLE RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE - BUDGET BYTES
- The night before, add the dry beans to a large bowl with double their volume in water. Allow the beans to soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you're ready to start cooking, slice the sausage into rounds. Add the cooking oil and sliced sausage to a large pot and cook over medium until the sausage pieces are browned. Remove the cooked sausage with a slotted spoon to a clean bowl. Place the cooked sausage in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- After removing the cooked sausage, add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to the pot. Sauté over medium heat, allowing the moisture from the vegetables to help dissolve any browned bits off the bottom of the pot as you stir.
RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE, A NEW ORLEANS CLASSIC MADE AT HOME
- Prep. Prepare all of the red beans and rice ingredients, starting by cutting the andouille sausage into 1/2-inch rounds. Chop the onions and celery. Press the garlic. Chop the Roma tomatoes.
- Prep the optional garnishes by first chopping the green onion. Remove the stem and seeds from the jalapeños and finely chop. Chop the Roma tomatoes into 1/2-inch chunks. Refrigerate garnishes until ready to serve.
- When some fat renders, add the sausage and ham, and brown them. If the bottom looks like it might burn, add an ounce or two of water to loosen the meat bits and scrub them off with a wooden spoon.
RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE | ALTON BROWN | COOKING CHANNEL
Servings 8Total Time 75 hrsCategory Side-Dish See details »
RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE | MIX AND MATCH MAMA
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins See details »
48 RED BEANS RECIPES IDEAS IN 2021 | RED BEANS, RED BEANS ...
See details »
BEANS AND RICE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
RED BEANS AND RICE - RECIPES - SUR LE PLATSUR LE PLAT
See details »
RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE | LOUISIANA TRAVEL
See details »
INSTANT POT RED BEANS AND RICE - AN EASY CLASSIC! - THECOOKFUL
See details »
JAMAICAN RED BEANS AND RICE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
See details »
NEW ORLEANS RED BEANS AND RICE: NEWORLEANS.COM
See details »
time-to-make main-ingredient cuisine preparation north-american healthy beans american cajun southern-united-states dietary low-cholesterol low-calorie low-carb inexpensive healthy-2 low-in-something 4-hours-or-less
You'll also love