- Melt butter in a skillet. While foaming is subsiding, lightly dredge roe in flour and shake off excess. Add roe and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Turn over, and brown on the other side. Remove the roe to a plate. If necessary add more butter to the skillet. Add ginger and saute for a moment. Add lemon juice and remove from heat; season with salt and pepper, add parsley or chives and spoon over shad. Serve with lemon or lime wedges.
SHAD ROE PAN FRIED WITH BACON
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Dredge roe in seasoned flour. In a saute pan over medium heat, heat oil until hot. Add roe to pan and cook top side (side without vein) until well browned. Reduce heat, turn roe over, and continue to cook on second side until well browned and almost firm. Cover pan slightly to avoid dangerous splattering. Remove roe and blot on paper. Return saute pan to heat. Add butter, let melt, and cook until brown. Add lemon juice, allow to sizzle, and add chopped parsley. Plate roe and drizzle lemon butter over top. Serve smoked bacon on top of roe.;
FRIED SHAD ROE
A rich dish just lovely served with bacon. The whole roe actually consists of two egg sacs connected by blood vessels and membranes, which must be cut away. The roe is encased in a taut crispy covering like the casing of a great sausage. Once the membranes are cut away, you have two options: open the roe sac or leave it whole. The only reason for opening it would be to add it to scrambled eggs as the egg grains within become tough and gritty if exposed to direct heat. That's why most recipes call for broiling or pan-frying a whole shad roe, often dredged in flour. When done, the roe should still be faintly red at the very center, and its texture will be creamy and smooth. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time is approximate.
Provided by Molly53
Categories Very Low Carbs
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Place shad roe in saucepan and cover with water to which salt and vinegar have been added.
- Simmer 20 minutes; drain and cover with cold water for five minutes.
- Drain again; sprinkle with salt and pepper, dip in flour and fry in hot deep fat (375F) until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 159.3, Fat 7.3, SaturatedFat 1.6, Cholesterol 424.5, Sodium 494.1, Carbohydrate 1.7, Protein 25.3
SHAD ROE WITH MUSTARD
Shad the largest member of the herring family, migrates to the rivers of the East Coast every spring. It's a big, bony fish (filleting it properly is an increasingly rare skill) with moist flesh that is not unlike that of salmon. But its huge egg sacs, which come in pairs held together by a thin membrane, are the real attraction. They're filled with millions of eggs, which, if they are not overcooked, remain creamy and rich in a way that is reminiscent of fine organ meat-not quite foie gras, but not that far away either. As a bonus, the exterior membrane becomes slightly crisp. Most shad roe is sadly overcooked, but this need not be the case. Keep the cooking time for shad roe short, just long enough to firm up the roe and cook it to the equivalent of medium-rare. (It's okay to cut into it for a look-see the first couple of times you try this, but it's also pretty easy to get the hang of it, because the change in texture is rather dramatic.) Note that this recipe serves two; it's easy enough to double, however; just use two skillets instead of one to avoid crowding the roe.
Yield makes 2 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Heat an 8- or 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for a minute or two, then add the butter. When it melts, gently lay the shad roe in the pan and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the underside is lightly browned.
- Turn very gently-a large spatula is best for this-and season the cooked side. Cook for another 3 minutes or so, again until the underside is lightly browned. By this time the roe should be quite firm to the touch; if it is still soft, cover the pan and cook for another minute or two, then cut into it to check. When done, the center will be red and the area surrounding it pink.
- Transfer the roe to a warm plate. Add the mustard and 1/4 cup of water to the pan; stir. Raise the heat to high and stir the sauce with a wooden spoon until smooth and thick. Spoon over the roe, garnish if you like, and serve immediately.
- Shad Roe with Capers and Vinegar: In step 3, omit the mustard. Instead, stir in 2 tablespoons capers, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir until blended and the liquid is reduced by about half. Spoon over the roe, garnish, and serve.
- Shad Roe with Bacon: Omit the butter. Begin by cooking 4 thick slices good-quality bacon over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is done; remove the bacon and keep warm. Cook the shad roe in the bacon fat, exactly as directed. Serve the shad roe and bacon with lemon wedges, garnished with fresh parsley.
POTOMAC PANFRIED SHAD ROE
Back in the early 1970's, shad runs in the Potomac called my family in spring evenings to Hane's Point, where we used to dip net shad under the cherry blossoms. The roe is unctuous & encased in a taut crispy covering like the casing of a great sausage. Not low fat but full of those Omega fatty acids! Did not know we were eating so "high on the hog" at the time!
Provided by Busters friend
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Cook bacon in cast iron or other heavy bottomed pan until crispy. Place in 200 degree F oven.
- Leave about 2 T bacon grease in pan & keep hot from cooking bacon.
- Separate roe pair trying not to puncture roe casing (Cut connecting tissue).
- Cook roe in casing like a sausage in bacon grease over low-medium heat until casing feels taut like a sausage, about 2-3 minutes, turning once. Grease needs to be hot enough for the roe to sizzle when placed in it but not wild splattering. If heat is too hot the casing can pop (this is messy & painful to the cook).Try not to pierce casing when turning as the tiny eggs will extrude.
- Remove from pan & place roe with bacon on paper towel or paper bag in oven.
- Turn up heat in pan & scramble your eggs, toast your tost & serve all with coffee.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 458.4, Fat 40.6, SaturatedFat 13.3, Cholesterol 469.2, Sodium 706.4, Carbohydrate 1.2, Sugar 0.8, Protein 20.5
More about "saltimbocca of shad and shad roe recipes"
SALTIMBOCCA OF SHAD AND SHAD ROE: RECIPE - THE NEW …
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
HOW TO MAKE SALTIMBOCCA - GREAT ITALIAN CHEFS
HOW TO COOK SHAD FISH - EATING AMERICAN SHAD FISH
SHAD ROE, AN ABANDONED DELICACY – ABANDONED COUNTRY
SHAD ROE WITH BACON AND GRITS - HUNTER ANGLER …
SHAD ROE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD - STEVEHACKS
SALTIMBOCCA OF SHAD AND SHAD ROE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
FRIED SHAD ROE WITH PICKLED MORELS AND BACON - CHEF
COOKING SHAD ROE : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
SHAD STUFFED WITH SHAD ROE| CUISINE TECHNIQUES - GREAT CHEFS
SALTIMBOCCA OF SHAD AND SHAD ROE RECIPE | RECIPE | RECIPES, …
SHAD & SHAD ROE - THE COOK'S COOK
SALTIMBOCCA OF SHAD AND SHAD ROE RECIPE | RECIPE
MOM, APPLE PIE AND SHAD ROE - MONAHAN'S SEAFOOD
SHAD ROE SOUTHERN-STYLE FOR SPRINGTIME #LETSLUNCH
2 SHAD ROE RECIPES YOU’RE SURE TO LOVE | TIMES LEADER
SALTIMBOCCA OF SHAD AND SHAD ROE - DINING AND COOKING
GARLIC PAN FRIED SHAD ROE RECIPE - THE TOP MEAL
SHAD ROE WITH BACON AND CAPERS RECIPE - ANDREW ZIMMERN
WHAT IS SHAD ROE AND HOW DO YOU COOK IT? - THE DAILY MEAL
SAUTéED SHAD ROE RECIPE | EASY SHAD RECIPES - FULTON FISH MARKET
SUNDAY COOKING – SHAD AND SHAD ROE - THE CHESTERTOWN SPY
BLACKENED SHAD ROE & SAUTéED IN BUTTER – COOKING MELANGERY
SHAD AND SHAD ROE WITH MUSHROOMS - PLAIN.RECIPES
SALTIMBOCCA OF SHAD AND SHAD ROE - RECIPES - TASTY QUERY
PLANKED SHAD WITH SHAD ROE DRESSING RECIPE - IFOOD.TV
PAN FRIED SHAD ROE RECIPE - FULTON FISH MARKET
SHAD ROE WITH LEMON GREMOLATA - FROM CHEF TO HOME
SALTIMBOCCA - TRADITIONAL AND AUTHENTIC ITALIAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
FRIED FISH EGGS | WILD + WHOLE
SHAD ROE: WHAT IS IT? • HARBOR FISH MARKET
SHAD RECIPES - NYT COOKING
RECIPE: PAN-FRIED SHAD ROE - WASHINGTONIAN
BROILED SHAD WITH SHAD ROE MOUSSE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
DUCK FAT FRIED SHAD ROE — ELEVATED WILD
SHAD ROE - FAIDLEY'S SEAFOOD
You'll also love