An easy, delicious way to use celeriac or even make mashed potatoes a little more exciting. Can make a low fat version by using low fat milk and cutting back on the butter. Adapted from Bon Appetite.
Provided by Kristin Boraas
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Place the celeriac cubes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 12 minutes. Add the potatoes, and continue boiling until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes more. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two.
- Return the vegetables to the pot, and stir over medium-high heat until liquid is no longer pooling from the vegetables. Remove from the heat, and pour in the cream and butter. Mash with a potato masher until almost smooth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 117.3 calories, Carbohydrate 15.6 g, Cholesterol 16.7 mg, Fat 5.6 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 2.2 g, SaturatedFat 3.4 g, Sodium 92.8 mg, Sugar 1.5 g
SIMPLE AS THAT CELERIAC
- This is the most underrated vegetable in the whole of the United Kingdom. It's available in every single supermarket, we walk past it all the time, and yet we still take no notice of it. It's an incredible vegetable, it's really good for you and you only need to use 2 or 3 ingredients to bring it to life and blow people's socks off.
- Shave off the celeriac ends and throw them away, then use your knife to peel away the outside skin, cutting away any cracks and crannies as you go. Once you've cut the edge you'll be able to see the thickness of the skin you need to peel away. Chop the celeriac up into slices, then into rough 1cm cubes.
- Put a casserole-type pan on a medium-high heat and add a lug of olive oil. Rip in the lemon thyme - the smells from this will be outrageous - then go straight in with the diced celeriac and a generous pinch of salt. Turn the heat down to medium, pop the lid on and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Make sure you keep it moving - you want it to fry lightly from the bottom, and kind of steam in its own moisture.
- At this stage, you have two choices. You can either serve it up blonde or you can take the lid off and fry for a further 4 minutes or so, to take the colour much darker. This is such a flexible recipe, you can make it the day before and reheat when you need, or you can blitz it up with some stock for a delicious soup. Give it a try.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 34 calories, Fat 1.8 g fat, SaturatedFat 0.2 g saturated fat, Protein 1.5 g protein, Carbohydrate 2.8 g carbohydrate, Sugar 2.2 g sugar, Sodium 0.67 g salt, Fiber 4.7 g fibre
HERB ROASTED CELERIAC
Roasted Celeriac with Italian herbs is a simple, tasty side dish that's ready in just 20 minutes with 4 simple ingredients.
Provided by Kate Hackworthy | Veggie Desserts
Categories Side Dish
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C
- Peel the celeriac (it may be easier to use a knife than a vegetable peeler), then chop into chunks.
- Add the celeriac to a bowl with the remaining ingredients and toss well to coat.
- Spread into a single layer on a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the outside and soft and cooked inside.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 133 kcal, Carbohydrate 16 g, Protein 3 g, Fat 8 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 163 mg, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 3 g, ServingSize 1 serving
- Place a large pot over a medium low heat and add the olive oil. Add the celeriac, leek, potato, garlic and onion, and season with salt and pepper. Gently sweat the vegetables until the celeriac starts to soften, around 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring the soup up to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the celeriac is completely tender. Add the parsley and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth, or alternatively blend in batches in a blender. Return to the heat and check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil or a dollop of yoghurt or sour cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 132 kcal, Carbohydrate 20 g, Protein 2 g, Fat 5 g, Sodium 742 mg, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 4 g, ServingSize 1 serving
SIMPLE CELERIAC STEAK
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Peel celery root and cut into 1 cm/0.4 inch slices.
- Whisk together mustard, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, crushed garlic, half a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Brush half of the mixture over celery slices.
- Roast celeriac steaks for about 25 minutes, turn them over and brush with remaining marinade. Continue roasting for about 30 minutes, until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile mix together pomegranate seeds, chopped cilantro and walnuts, lime juice, one tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Serve celeriac steaks warm, top with a generous amount of pomegranate mixture. Enjoy!
EASY ROAST CELERIAC
Delicious roasted celeriac makes a tempting alternative to roast potatoes, served with roasts, stews and any number of dishes.
Provided by Helen Best-Shaw
Categories Side Dish
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Heat oven to 200°C / 400°F / GM6.
- Cut the celeriac into quarters with a good heavy knife, trim and discard the knotty root end.
- Peel the celeriac and then cut into 2.5 cm/1" cubes.
- Put everything in a roasting pan, making sure that there's enough space so that the celeriac pieces are in one layer, with some spice between them. If necessary use two pans.
- Mix well to coat each cube with oil and herbs.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Turn the celeriac with a spatula.
- Return to the oven for a final 10-15 minutes. The celeriac will be golden and crisp on the outside. Check with a fork to see that celeriac is soft in the middle.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 99 kcal, Carbohydrate 9 g, Protein 1 g, Fat 7 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 28 mg, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 4 g, ServingSize 1 serving
More about "simple as that celeriac recipes"
CREAMY CELERIAC MASH RECIPE - IT'S A VEG WORLD AFTER ALL®
Ratings 10Category Side DishCuisine AmericanTotal Time 30 mins
- Use a swivel peeler to remove the brown celeriac flesh. You may need to use a paring knife to slice off small areas that you can't reach with the peeler. Rinse off each peeled celeriac, and cut into cubes.
- Add the celeriac, shallots, and whole garlic cloves to a pot or Dutch oven. Pour in enough vegetable broth to just cover the veggies. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, or until the celery root is fork-tender.
- Carefully drain most of the vegetable broth (about 2/3 of it; leave some for flavor). Return the pot with the veggies back to the stove and add the whole milk and butter. Cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, stirring well, until the butter is melted and the milk is warmed (but not boiling).
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender. Depending on the size of your blender, you may want to do it in batches to prevent overheating/splattering. Blend for ~1-2 minutes, until smooth. Alternatively, you can use a potato masher and mash the celeriac right in the pot. It will still taste delicious but won't have as creamy of a texture as it does when you blend it.
15 CELERIAC RECIPES | EPICURIOUS
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
HAVE YOU TRIED CELERIAC YET? HERE ARE OUR 10 BEST RECIPES ...
Author Rhea ParsonsPublished 2019-01-26
- Whole Roasted Celeriac with Herbs, Olive Oil, and Sea Salt. It doesn’t get any simpler than Ida Hemmingsson-Holl‘s Whole Roasted Celeriac with Herbs, Olive Oil, and Sea Salt.
- Crispy Oil-Free Celeriac Fries. Celeriac, also known as celery root, isn’t the first thing you’d think of when it comes to vegetables that make awesome fries, but Natalie Tamara‘s recipe for Crispy Oil-Free Celeriac Fries is here to prove that it can be done.
- Creamy Cauliflower and Celeriac Soup With Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms. Source: Creamy Cauliflower and Celeriac Soup With Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms. Advertisement.
- Herbed Celeriac Puree With Sautéed Chanterelle Mushrooms. Celeriac, also known as celery root, is the perfect substitute for mashed potatoes in Emma D’Alessandro‘s dish of Herbed Celeriac Puree With Sauteed Chanterelle Mushrooms.
- Raw Mushroom Kale Rice. If you’re trying to cut back on carbs, Amy Lyon‘s Raw Mushroom Kale Rice dish is perfect. Celeriac and kale form the base of this faux rice while garlic and thyme add flavor.
- Leek and Celeriac Soup. Adding celeriac to dishes that are steamed or boiled brings out the flavor of celery with a nutty twist. Celeriac also has the texture of a potato, which makes it a perfect addition to Lindsey Auerbach‘s Leek and Celeriac Soup with sweet, onion-y leeks.
- Cheesy Leek and Celeriac-Potato Gratin. Celeriac tastes like potatoes with a hint of celery so why not put them together as in Clémence Moulaert‘s Cheesy Leek and Potato Gratin?
- Potato, Leek, and Celeriac Soup. Celeriac is one of those magical root vegetables that works perfectly in soup, like this Potato, Leek, and Celeriac Soup by Molly Ashworth.
- Mashed Potatoes and Celery Root. You’ve probably tried blending cauliflower with potatoes for a lighter dish. Now it’s time to try Cathy Elton‘s Mashed Potatoes and Celery Root.
- Root Veggie au Gratin. Change up your usual menu rotation by trying a bunch of new veggies. Molly Patrick‘s Root Veggie au Gratin combines celeriac, rutabagas, parsnips, and turnips for a healthy and delicious casserole.
TOP 10 CELERIAC RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
- Celeriac, hazelnut & truffle soup. This elegant winter soup is simple enough for a weeknight dinner or dress it up with a drizzle of truffle oil for a sophisticated dinner party starter.
- Whole truffle roast celeriac with cheese sauce & hazelnuts. Try this sensational whole truffle roast celeriac with creamy cheese sauce and hazelnuts.
- Cheesy celeriac, leek & rosemary gratin. Combine celeriac and leek with mature cheddar for an indulgent Sunday roast side dish. To save on prep time, this dish can be prepared up to a day ahead and kept in the fridge.
- Whole roasted celeriac. Make celeriac the star of the show with this hearty whole roasted version. This easy recipe doesn't require peeling so it's great if you're short on prep time.
- Braised pork cottage pie with celeriac topping. Warm up on a chilly winter evening with this comforting family supper. This unique take on cottage pie uses pork mince and swaps mashed potato for celeriac.
- Celeriac, pancetta & thyme soup. This five star soup is highly rated for a reason, packed full of flavourful pancetta with a creamy base, it's the perfect winter pick-me-up.
- Roasted celeriac & carrots with kale & hazelnuts. Pack in those nutritious leafy greens with this hearty celeriac salad recipe. Roast chunky carrots and celeriac for 40 minutes until golden brown, then add some roughly chopped kale and toasted hazelnuts for an extra 15 minutes.
- Roast chicken with lemon & rosemary roots. For a more wholesome take on celeriac, try this healthy roast chicken for a Sunday dinner. Cut a handful of large carrots, two red onions, a celeriac and a swede into large chunks.
- Celeriac hash with ham hock & duck eggs. Mix roughly chopped celeriac with shredded cavolo nero and cooked ham hock, topped with duck eggs, for a unique dinner idea.
- Lamb, turnip & celeriac hotpot. Make use of budget-friendly lamb neck, a hugely underused cut, in this comforting family hotpot. Celebrate seasonal roast veg with celeriac, turnips and potatoes, plus hearty merguez sausages and lamb fillets.
14 DELICIOUS CELERIAC RECIPES YOU SHOULD TRY
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
YOTAM OTTOLENGHI’S RECIPES FOR CELERIAC | VEGETABLES | THE ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
28 NON-BORING WAYS TO USE CELERY | TASTE OF HOME
Author Laurie DixonEstimated Reading Time 6 mins
HOW TO COOK CELERIAC - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
CELERIAC: WHAT IS CELERY ROOT AND WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE ...
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
EASY CELERIAC REMOULADE - FUSS FREE FLAVOURS
WHAT IS CELERIAC? | ALLRECIPES
ROOTING-TOOTING! 17 WAYS WITH CELERIAC – FROM A COMFORTING ...
BEST CELERIAC RECIPES - OLIVEMAGAZINE
CELERIAC RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
9 CELERY ROOT RECIPES WE'RE CRAVING | TASTE OF HOME
CELERIAC SOUP RECIPE MARY BERRY WITH INGREDIENTS ...
CELERIAC RECIPES | TESCO REAL FOOD
EASY OVEN ROASTED CELERIAC (CELERY ROOT) RECIPE - EAT ...
22 CELERIAC RECIPES IDEAS | RECIPES, CELERIAC RECIPES ...
CELERIAC - THE BEST RECIPES - 2021
JAMIE OLIVER CELERIAC REMOULADE RECIPES
CELERIAC RECIPES - BBC FOOD
You'll also love