SLOW-COOKED IRISH STEW
Middle neck or scrag end of lamb are flavoursome cuts and perfect for braising. This traditional casserole contains filling pearl barley, too
Provided by Sarah Cook
Categories Main course
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the slow cooker if necessary, then heat the oil in a frying pan. Sizzle the bacon until crisp, tip into the slow-cooker pot, then brown the chunks of lamb in the pan. Transfer to the slow-cooker pot along with the thyme, onions, carrots, potatoes, stock, bay leaves and enough water to cover the lamb. Cover and cook on Low for 7 hrs.
- Stir in the pearl barley and leek, and cook on High for 1 hr more until the pearl barley is tender.
- Stir in the butter, season and serve scooped straight from the dish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 673 calories, Fat 39 grams fat, SaturatedFat 16 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 40 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 11 grams sugar, Fiber 7 grams fiber, Protein 40 grams protein, Sodium 1.4 milligram of sodium
SIMPLE SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW
I received this recipe when I was in the third grade. Our teacher made this for us in class on St. Patrick's Day, and I've made this very simple, hearty meal every year in March since then.
Provided by RainbowJewels
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil. Cook stew meat until browned on all side, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer browned meat to the insert of a slow cooker. Add potatoes, onion, water, bouillon cubes, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on Low power for 8 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 393.6 calories, Carbohydrate 33.2 g, Cholesterol 62.6 mg, Fat 19 g, Fiber 4.4 g, Protein 22.4 g, SaturatedFat 6.7 g, Sodium 292.6 mg, Sugar 3.7 g
SLOW-COOKER IRISH STOUT BEEF STEW
During the colder months, we can't get enough soup, stew and chili, but truth be told-sometimes we need a break from our old favorites. That's why this recipe is such a welcome addition. It makes for a hearty bowl with fall-apart-tender chunks of beef in a luscious, rich broth, but that's not all that's going on here. Caramelized onions add a sweetness that's well balanced by the slightly bitter (think coffee-flavored) taste of the Guinness®. The preparation of the beef-it's dredged in flour and browned before being added to the slow cooker crock-helps thicken the stew and adds all sorts of deeply savory flavor. So when you want something comforting and crowd-friendly-but also feel like you've been eating the same thing for months-turn to this sensational stew for something new.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Mix onions, melted butter, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper in slow cooker. Add 1 cup of the broth. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until onions are very tender and browned.
- In large bowl, mix flour, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add beef; toss to coat. Discard any excess flour. In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Cook half of beef 5 to 7 minutes or until browned on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker; repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining half of beef.
- Add remaining 1 cup broth to skillet; heat to boiling over medium-high heat, scraping up any browned bits on bottom of skillet. Add to slow cooker.
- Add Guinness®, potatoes, carrots and thyme to slow cooker; stir. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until meat is tender and sauce is thickened.
- Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 480, Carbohydrate 31 g, Cholesterol 100 mg, Fat 1/2, Fiber 4 g, Protein 35 g, SaturatedFat 9 g, ServingSize About 1 1/3 Cups, Sodium 630 mg, Sugar 7 g, TransFat 1 g
SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW
This is a traditional Irish stew to simmer in the slow cooker for easy preparation while the family is away at school and work. Chunky potatoes fill this hearty stew to warm you up on a cold night. Look for less expensive cuts of lamb for stews, such as shanks and shoulders or let chops, that are meaty and flavourful.
Provided by Chef mariajane
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Sprinkle both sides of lamb cuts with half of the salt and pepper. Brown lamb all over, in batches, in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place in slow cooker.
- Add water to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits. Pour liquid into slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium heat and cook onions, carrots, parsley thyme and remaining salt and pepper for about 8 minutes until softened and beginning to turn golden.
- Scrape into slow cooker.
- Add stock and potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until lamb is tender and easily pulls away from the bone.
- In a small bowl, mash together butter and flour until well combined. Uncover slow cooker, and stir butter mixture into stew and cook on high for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 686, Fat 35, SaturatedFat 15.8, Cholesterol 162.1, Sodium 836.1, Carbohydrate 43.5, Fiber 6, Sugar 5, Protein 48
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW
The most comforting and delicious variation of Irish stew you'll ever try.
Provided by Jill Brune Lash
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Coat beef thoroughly with flour.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer beef to a slow cooker and add potatoes, carrots, onion, diced tomatoes, coffee, soup mix, bouillon cubes, soy sauce, and mustard.
- Cook on Low until beef and vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 361.6 calories, Carbohydrate 24.9 g, Cholesterol 62.6 mg, Fat 19 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 21.7 g, SaturatedFat 6.6 g, Sodium 778 mg, Sugar 3.6 g
LOZ'S SLOW COOKED IRISH GUINNESS STEW
This is an all time favourite! NB (Including some review suggestions - THANKS!): #1 If you prefer fresher veggies (not the stew soaked kind), leave the celery, carrots and potato until the last 1.5 hours. #2 Pumpkin and sweet potato are nice in this too. (try not to exceed the level of the liquid) #3 As a poster suggested: throw some peas and / or corn kernels in at the end to freshen the stew #4 Dumplings can be added #5 Leave out the potatoes and serve on a bed of Mash - fab idea thanks! :) #6 Making a roux to thicken is also a good idea! #7 Enjoy!!! :)
Provided by Delicious Bits
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Stir in beer, stock, the garlic, carrots, celery, potato, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary to slow cooker.
- Caramelise onions in butter and sugar in a saucepan then add to cooker.
- Sprinkle meat lightly with 2 tbsp flour, salt and pepper. In batches, brown meat all over, mix all in to the slow cooker. Set on Auto or Low for 8 hours, or High for 4-5 hours.
- After cooking, mix remaining flour and water in a cup and add to stew. Set on high and stir until thickened. Add parsley and serve with thick slices of Vienna Bread.
- Sometimes you may need to add a bit more brown sugar if it has a bitter taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 927.8, Fat 10.7, SaturatedFat 5, Cholesterol 15.3, Sodium 624.1, Carbohydrate 123.1, Fiber 18.3, Sugar 12, Protein 15.3
More about "slow cooked irish stew recipes"
SLOW COOKED IRISH LAMB STEW - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
4.5/5 (23)Total Time 2 hrs 40 minsCategory Dinner, StewCalories 321 per serving
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large pot and brown the lamb in batches. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the onions, carrots and celery until they start to color slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute then add the flour.
- Stir to coat the vegetables in the flour then add the wine and some stock, if necessary. Allow to simmer until the wine reduces.
- Add the lamb and Guinness to the pot and stir to combine with the vegetables. If necessary, top up with stock to ensure the meat is covered in liquid.
TRADITIONAL SLOW COOKER IRISH LAMB STEW RECIPE
4.3/5 (73)Total Time 9 hrs 25 minsCategory Entree, DinnerCalories 590 per serving
SLOW-COOKER IRISH STEW: HOW TO MAKE IT - TASTE OF HOME
Author Jenna UrbenEstimated Reading Time 7 mins
SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
IRISH SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW | ROAST BEEF AND CABBAGE …
CROCK POT IRISH BEEF STEW - THE BEST IRISH BEEF STEW …
CROCK POT BEEF STEW (IRISH BEEF STEW) | FAVORITE FAMILY …
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW RECIPE | COOK SMARTS
SLOW-COOKED IRISH STEW RECIPE | NEW IDEA FOOD
THIS SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW RECIPE IS PERFECT FOR FAMILY …
SLOW COOKED IRISH BEEF STEW RECIPE - 5 DINNERS IN 1 HOUR
SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW RECIPE | OLIVEMAGAZINE
CROCK POT GUINNESS IRISH STEW RECIPE - LEMONSFORLULU.COM
IRISH STEW (INSTANT POT OR SLOW COOKER) | A MIND "FULL" MOM
SLOW COOKER IRISH GUINNESS BEEF STEW - TASTES LOVELY
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW RECIPE - MY HEAVENLY RECIPES
SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW
SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW - HEALTHY FOOD GUIDE
IRISH BEEF STEW SLOW COOKER RECIPE | SCRAPPY GEEK
IRISH STEW RECIPE FROM SLOW BY JAMES MARTIN | COOKED
15 IRISH STEW RECIPE SLOW COOKER - SELECTED RECIPES
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW RECIPE - SAVORY NOTHINGS
IRISH STEW - THE SEASONED MOM
SLOW COOKER IRISH LAMB STEW | CANADIAN LIVING
SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW RECIPE - THE HEDGECOMBERS
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW - FOX AND BRIAR
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW - ORGANIZED ISLAND
SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW - PINCH OF NOM
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW RECIPE - EYES CLOSED COOKING
IRISH STEW (SLOW COOKER) - SEEKING GOOD EATS
IRISH BEEF STEW (SLOW COOKER) RECIPE - THE LITTLE KITCHEN
SLOW COOKER GUINNESS BEEF STEW - ABERDEEN'S KITCHEN
SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW WITH GUINNESS RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
SLOW COOKER GUINNESS & CORNED BEEF IRISH STEW RECIPE
SLOW-COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW RECIPE - TABLESPOON.COM
THIS SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW RECIPE IS A CLASSIC RESTORED
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW - SLIMMING WORLD RECIPES - SLIMMING …
IRISH STEW SLOW COOKER RECIPE | YOUR HOMEBASED MOM
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW • CURIOUS CUISINIERE
SLOW-COOKER IRISH STEW - CATZ IN THE KITCHEN
DISCOVER IRISH SLOW COOKER RECIPES 'S POPULAR VIDEOS | TIKTOK
BEST SLOW COOKER IRISH STEW RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE IRISH STEW IN A …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
Can you cook Irish stew in a slow cooker?Potatoes, carrots, and either turnips or rutabagas are among the vegetables in this hearty Irish stew. The slow cooker makes the stew a great choice for a busy day. Just sear the lamb and toss it into the crock pot with the remaining ingredients. You'll come home to a fully cooked meal.
How to cook lamb stew in a slow cooker?When the slow cooker is warmed, add the lamb and the onion, garlic and broth mixture—you want every bit of flavor from the skillet going into the slow cooker. Then stir in the potatoes, carrots, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Let the stew cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
What do you put in Irish Stew?This gorgeous slow cooker lamb Irish stew is packed full of bacon, pearl barley and veggies. Brown the lamb and bacon before adding to the slow cooker for maximum flavour. Serve with greens, and a pint of Guinness of course. This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page.
How to cook stew meat in a crock pot?Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil. Cook stew meat until browned on all side, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer browned meat to the insert of a slow cooker. Add potatoes, onion, water, bouillon cubes, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on Low power for 8 hours.