SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Inspired by Moroccan tagines, which often pair sweet dried fruit with savory elements, this dish has deep layers of contrasting flavors: warmth and sweetness against acidity and spice. Taking the time to brown chicken skin, sauté onion and toast spices is definitely worth the 20-minute investment here, lending this stew a rich flavor. But if you're really pressed for time, you can skip it. Instead, layer the squash, dates, onion and chicken in the slow cooker, and season everything generously with salt and pepper. Whisk together the oil, ginger, garlic, spices and lemon juice, and pour it on top before cooking. Then finish the dish the same way the recipe directs: Season to taste with lemon and salt and finish with the parsley and scallions.
Provided by Sarah DiGregorio
Categories dinner, weekday, tagine, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 22
- Put the squash and dates into a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker. Season generously with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon stick, sweet paprika, turmeric, cumin, hot smoked paprika, ground ginger, cloves and cayenne and set aside.
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken dry and season it generously with salt. Working in two batches, put the chicken in the skillet skin side down and cook without moving it until the skin is deeply golden, crisp, and releases fairly easily from the bottom of the pan, about 5 to 8 minutes per batch. (You need to brown only the skin side.) Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker, nestling the thighs skin side up and in one crowded layer on top of the squash.
- Decrease the stovetop heat to medium. If there is a lot of rendered fat in the pan, pour off all but a thin layer to cover the entire bottom of the skillet. Add the onion, season with salt, and cook, stirring to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the reserved spices and stir well for about 30 seconds, until the mixture is a uniform brick red. Add the lemon juice, stir well to incorporate the browned bits, then scrape the mixture over the top of the chicken, making sure to include any spice-stained oil that remains.
- Cook on low until the squash and chicken are very tender and the flavors are mellow, at least 4 hours and up to 6 hours. If it's more convenient, you can let the slow cooker switch to warm after 6 hours. The dish will hold on warm for another 2 hours before the chicken starts to dry out. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Add lemon juice and salt to taste and fold in the chopped parsley and scallions. Serve with couscous or pita, topped with yogurt and toasted almonds, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 644, UnsaturatedFat 25 grams, Carbohydrate 43 grams, Fat 38 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 36 grams, SaturatedFat 9 grams, Sodium 876 milligrams, Sugar 25 grams, TransFat 0 grams
SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE WITH PUMPKIN
I first discovered tagines-Moroccan stews-when my oldest son was a baby, and I've loved them ever since. The first version I made was in a slow cooker, and since I'm a mom with two active boys, that has stayed my preferred method. The pumpkin mixture is supposed to be thick, but if you like a thinner consistency, stir in chicken broth before serving. -Necia Blundy, Bothell, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 19
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 14 ingredients. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute longer. Stir into slow cooker., Cook, covered, on low until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours. Serve with couscous; sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 400 calories, Fat 14g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 76mg cholesterol, Sodium 668mg sodium, Carbohydrate 42g carbohydrate (18g sugars, Fiber 10g fiber), Protein 28g protein.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE
- Layer chicken thighs, onions, carrots, raisins, and apricots in a slow cooker.
- Whisk chicken broth, tomato paste, lemon juice, flour, garlic salt, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, and pepper together in a bowl. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on High 4 1/2 hours or on Low for 7 1/2 hours. Shred chicken slightly using 2 forks. Continue cooking 30 minutes.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat and stir in couscous and butter. Cover saucepan and let stand until water is absorbed completely, 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork. Serve chicken tagine over couscous.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 419.2 calories, Carbohydrate 56.5 g, Cholesterol 73.1 mg, Fat 9.7 g, Fiber 5.4 g, Protein 26.7 g, SaturatedFat 3.1 g, Sodium 589.5 mg, Sugar 13.6 g
PUMPKIN, CRANBERRY & RED ONION TAGINE
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the onions until lightly coloured. Add ginger, pumpkin and spices, stir, then add honey, passata and cranberries. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, then simmer for 20 mins until the pumpkin is tender. After 10 mins, stir in the chickpeas. (If the mixture is a little thick, you can loosen it with some vegetable stock.)
- Meanwhile, tip the couscous, stock granules and lemon zest into a heatproof bowl. Pour over 300ml boiling water, stir briefly and cover with a plate. Leave for 5 mins. Tip in the lemon juice, almonds and remaining tbsp oil and fluff up with a fork. Scatter the coriander over the tagine and serve with the couscous.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 449 calories, Fat 16 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 67 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 23 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 13 grams protein, Sodium 1.93 milligram of sodium
CHICKEN WITH SUGAR PUMPKINS & APRICOTS
When we have family gatherings, we give the slow cooker kitchen duty. This yummy chicken with pumpkin and apricots has the warm flavors of Morocco. -Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Place pumpkin in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray., In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken thighs on all sides. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. In same skillet, saute onion and garlic 1-2 minutes; transfer to slow cooker., Add next eight ingredients to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 4-5 hours. Top with parsley. If desired, serve with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 318 calories, Fat 10g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 76mg cholesterol, Sodium 376mg sodium, Carbohydrate 36g carbohydrate (20g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
More about "slow cooker chicken tagine with pumpkin recipes"
CROCKPOT MOROCCAN PUMPKIN CHICKEN - SUNKISSED KITCHEN
Ratings 6Calories 167 per servingCategory Main Course
- In a frying pan, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Over high heat, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion, and saute until translucent.
- Add the chicken and onions to a crockpot, and then add pumpkin puree and vegetable broth. Stir to help spread the pumpkin puree throughout the chicken mixture.
A SUPER EASY SLOW COOKER MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE
4.7/5 (3)Total Time 8 hrs 10 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 637 per serving
SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
Servings 8Total Time 7 hrs 20 minsCategory EntreeCalories 313 per serving
- Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook half of the chicken in oil 6 minutes, turning once, until browned. Place in slow cooker. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add onion, apricots, raisins and cinnamon sticks to slow cooker. In medium bowl, mix broth, honey, turmeric and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt with wire whisk until blended. Pour into slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove cinnamon sticks. Serve chicken mixture over couscous. Garnish individual servings with cilantro and almonds.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
5/5 (1)Total Time 4 hrs 20 minsCategory EntreesCalories 486 per serving
- Stir in the olives, cilantro, and parsley. Serve over couscous with warm naan bread on the side, if desired.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Cuisine North AfricanCategory Main CourseServings 4
PUMPKIN AND CHICKEN TAGINE - CLOSET COOKING
Reviews 18Estimated Reading Time 4 minsServings 6Total Time 50 mins
15 PUMPKIN RECIPES FOR YOUR SLOW COOKER
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
15 SLOW COOKER PUMPKIN RECIPES TO TRY OUT THIS FALL ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 minsPublished 2020-09-19
- Pumpkin Cobbler. A recipe on the more traditional side, this sweet pumpkin cobbler has everything you could ask for in a pumpkin-flavored dessert. In this recipe, all you need to do is beat the eggs, add the ingredients to the slow cooker, drizzle with butter and let it all cook low and slow for three-four hours.
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup. Treat yourself to a big bowl (or several bowls, TBH) of slow cooker pumpkin soup this fall—featuring actual pumpkin (not canned!)
- White Chicken Chili With Pumpkin. Chili is always the perfect choice for a cold fall evening or brisk autumn day, but white chicken chili with pumpkin is a total game-changer.
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Rice Pudding. Rice pudding is one of the most underrated desserts of our time, and adding a pumpkin spice flavor just makes it that much better.
- Roast Beef with Pumpkin & Salsa. This roast beef with pumpkin and salsa is a little more involved as far as slow cooker recipes go, but the pay-off is so worth it.
- Slow Cooker Whole Pumpkin. The recipe you’ve been waiting for: An entire pumpkin cooked in a slow cooker. After washing your pumpkin and removing the seeds and stringy bits (don’t forget to save the seeds to roast later!)
- Slow Cooker PSLs. That’s right, no need to trek out to Starbucks to get your pumpkin spice latte fix! They’re actually super easy to make right at home in your slow cooker.
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal. Oatmeal is the ultimate comfort breakfast food, and adding a pumpkin pie flavor only makes it that much better. Prep this delicious recipe the night before and let it cook low and slow overnight for about six to eight hours.
- Pumpkin Chili. Pumpkin is the perfect unexpected ingredient to add to a fall chili recipe. This one calls for pumpkin pureé along with chili powder and cayenne, so you get the perfect blend of sweet and spicy.
- Pumpkin Risotto. OK, yum. This slow cooker pumpkin risotto recipe is so easy, you could practically make it with your eyes closed. Just toss all of the ingredients (except for the parmesan) into the slow cooker and let them cook for two to three hours.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE WITH APRICOTS AND CHICKPEAS
4.9/5 (9)Total Time 6 hrs 25 minsCategory DinnerCalories 565 per serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan, top/seasoned side down. Cook for 5 minutes, until nicely browned on the top side only. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add spices: cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, ginger, red pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add broth and honey, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a simmer. Carefully pour hot mixture into a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Stir in apricots, chickpeas and cinnamon sticks. Arrange chicken on top, browned side facing up. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Discard cinnamon sticks.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook the almonds, tossing constantly, until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE - SEARCHING FOR SPICE
4.8/5 (24)Total Time 8 hrs 10 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 721 per serving
- Make a marinade with the spices, lemon juice and oil. Add the chicken. Ideally put it in the fridge and leave overnight or for a couple of hours.
SLOW COOKER CREAMY PUMPKIN CHICKEN - THE LEAN GREE BEAN
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsServings 4Total Time 6 hrs 5 mins
CHICKEN AND PUMPKIN, SLOW COOKER; LAST OF THE BLUE · THYME ...
Servings 2Estimated Reading Time 2 minsCategory Slow Cooker ChickenTotal Time 6 hrs 15 mins
SLOW COOKER PUMPKIN STEW RECIPE - GOODHOUSEKEEPING.COM
Category Weeknight Meals, Comfort FoodCalories 268 per serving
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Cuisine North AfricanTotal Time 6 hrs 20 minsServings 3
SLOW COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN WITH PUMPKIN RECIPE | COLES
Servings 4Category Dinner,Main-Meal,Lunch
SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE WITH PUMPKIN RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Cuisine Africa, MoroccanCategory DinnerServings 4Total Time 5 hrs 35 mins
TRADITIONAL MOROCCAN LAMB TAGINE RECIPE SLOW COOKER ...
SIMPLE WAY TO PREPARE PERFECT CHICKEN TAGINE WITH HONEYNUT ...
SLOW COOKER MOROCCAN CHICKEN RECIPE : DOWNLOAD RECIPE ...
SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE WITH PUMPKIN RECIPE: HOW TO ...
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAGINE WITH PUMPKIN RECIPES
THREE HEALTHY SLOW COOKER RECIPES – MYHEALTHBOOK
SLOW COOKER PUMPKIN BUTTER CHICKEN TACOS RECIPE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How long to cook Chicken Tagine in slow cooker?Whisk chicken broth, tomato paste, lemon juice, flour, garlic salt, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, and pepper together in a bowl. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Cook on High 4 1/2 hours or on Low for 7 1/2 hours. Shred chicken slightly using 2 forks.
How to make Moroccan pumpkin chicken in crockpot?If you want to make Slow Cooker Moroccan Pumpkin Chicken to come home to on Monday evening, just sauté the chicken (I make sure to cook the chicken through if I am not planning on slow cooking until the next day- just don’t overcook it), the onion and the spices, and add to your slow cooker with the pumpkin and broth.
How long to cook Chicken Tagine with apricots and chickpeas?When the onions are nice and soft, add broth, honey and spices to the pot. Stir to loosen any brown bits and pour the whole mixture into the slow cooker. Stir in the apricots and chickpeas. Place the chicken on top. Cover, and cook on low for 6 hours.
How to make pumpkin chicken in a slow cooker?Place onion, garlic, potatoes, corn and peppers in a slow cooker. Top with chicken. In a small bowl, combine pumpkin, broth and spices. Pour over chicken. Cook on low 4-6 hours. Shred chicken and stir in half and half and cheese.