EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH GARLIC ROMANO POTATOES
This is a very easy shepherd's (cottage) pie that's topped with wonderful garlic and Romano potatoes. You can change the ingredients to add almost anything you like. Kids love this, and it's even better after sitting for a day. You should have most of the ingredients on hand so no trips to the grocery! You can substitute any cheese for the Romano, as well.
Provided by HEATHER C
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- Place the beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat. Season with rosemary and basil. Cook until beef is evenly brown; drain grease. Mix in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and mixed vegetables. Cook and stir until vegetables are heated through. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Place potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and drain. Mix butter, Romano cheese, garlic, salt, oregano, and milk into the pot. Mash together with a potato masher. Top beef and vegetables with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn oven to broil, and continue cooking 3 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 392 calories, Carbohydrate 33.4 g, Cholesterol 73.5 mg, Fat 20.9 g, Fiber 6.2 g, Protein 18.2 g, SaturatedFat 11.4 g, Sodium 889 mg, Sugar 6.9 g
SOMETHING DIFFERENT SHEPHERD'S PIE
I was craving Shepherd Pie but i wanted a little spice. My boy friend added hot sauce, I add sour cream. Add spice to your own taste.
Provided by Lonifer739
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Cut 4 potatoes in half skin or no skin. Boil until potatoes are soft enough to mash. while mashing stir in half jar of sausage gravy, 1 tbs garlic powder, and 1 tbs onion powder. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown turkey or beef in large skillet. Stir in 1 tbs garlic, 1 tbs onion powder, taco seasoning, and season salt while meat is still raw. Add red onion and jalapeño.
- In a 9x9-inch casserole dish or pan spread meat mixture on bottom of pan, spread corn with chilies on top of meat. Spread potato mixture on top of corn evenly. Spread the rest of the sausage gravy on top of potatoes evenly and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 289.4, Fat 8.5, SaturatedFat 2.9, Cholesterol 65.5, Sodium 393.3, Carbohydrate 36.9, Fiber 2.3, Sugar 3.1, Protein 18.6
More about "something different shepherds pie recipes"
SHEPHERD'S PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
Cuisine American, British, Irish, Irish-AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory DinnerCalories 650 per serving
- Place the beef, baking soda, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1 tablespoon of water in a medium bowl. Mash with your hand to combine. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- While the meat tenderizes, place the potatoes in medium saucepan and add just enough cold water to cover them. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are soft and fork-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan. Place the pan over medium heat and stir the potatoes with a wooden spoon or potato masher until they are dry and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the sour cream, butter, half & half, and the remaining teaspoon of salt. Using a potato masher, stir and mash the potatoes with the other ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Set the mashed potatoes aside.
- Heat a 12-in oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the fat in the pan. Add the onions and carrots to the bacon fat and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the wine and increase the heat to high; bring to a boil, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until the liquid is reduced by about half. Add the flour and stir until dissolved. Add the reserved ground beef mixture, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce; continue cooking on high heat, breaking the meat apart with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth; bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the thyme, pepper, peas, and reserved bacon,
THE BEST AUTHENTIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - SCRAMBLED CHEFS
Reviews 24Calories 716 per servingCategory Main Dish
- In a large skillet, heat oil, onions, carrots, rosemary, thyme, and garlic over medium heat cooking for 1-2 minutes;
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the Worcestershire sauce, salt pepper, green peas, and corn. Add the tomato paste at this time if desired, and stir to combine well;
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - THE FOOD CHARLATAN
4.8/5 (4)Category Main CourseCuisine AmericanCalories 485 per serving
- Add the chopped potatoes and make sure the water covers them.Bring to a boil, covered, over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue boiling for about 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.Add 1/2 cup butter.
- Mash with a potato masher or mixer until they are as smooth as you like them.Stir in sour cream, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
EASY RUSTIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | LITTLE SPICE JAR
5/5 (24)Category BeefServings 5Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
- potatoes: boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until fork tender. Sometimes I'll throw in a couple cloves of garlic in with the potatoes too. Drain, mash and mix in the remaining mashed potatoes ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- cook the meat and veggies: heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground lamb and crumble the meat using a wooden spoon. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the meat browns, drain any excess grease leaving just 1 tablespoon. Add the mirepoix and season the veggies with a small pinch of salt and allow the veggies to cook down until translucent, about 7-9 minutes. Add the garlic and let cook another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- beef gravy: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. Sprinkle the ground meat mixture with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch, stir to combine and let cook for 15 seconds before adding the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, herbs, bay leaf, and beef stock. Allow the gravy to come to a simmer before reducing the heat to low and letting it simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the herbs, stir in the peas, taste and adjust with salt and pepper as desired.
- bake and serve: Drop large dollops of the prepared mashed potatoes on top of the beef gravy then smooth out gently. Bake for 15 minutes then, finish it under the broiler if you want it to be golden brown on top. Let cool for several minutes before serving.
EASY SHEPHERDS PIE| MADE WITH LEFTOVERS - GRITS AND GOUDA
Reviews 4Category Main CourseCuisine AmericanTotal Time 50 mins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook ground chuck, onion, salt and pepper together in a large (10- to 12-inch) cast iron or oven-proof skillet 12 minutes, stirring often, until browned. Drain in a colander and return to the skillet. Add carrots, green beans, corn, and gravy to the skillet and stir well. If you are not using an oven proof skillet, transfer meat mixture into a casserole or baking dish.
- Stir together mashed potatoes and half the cheese. Dollop the mashed potatoes over the meat mixture. If your mashed potatoes are cold, warm them in the microwave. Spread the mashed potatoes to the edge of the skillet or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of cheese over the potatoes. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until gravy is bubbly around the edges.
SHEPHERD'S PIE (COTTAGE PIE) - TRADITIONAL ENGLISH RECIPE ...
5/5 (3)Category Main CourseCuisine English, Irish, ScottishTotal Time 1 hr 45 mins
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons of butter and brown the onion over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
SHEPHERD’S PIE – NEWFIE STORY
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
19 BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES - WAYS TO MAKE …
Occupation Commerce EditorEstimated Reading Time 2 minsAuthor Sienna Livermore
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
Servings 4Estimated Reading Time 1 minCategory Main
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH LAMB - SIMPLE SEASONAL
Reviews 16Servings 4-5Cuisine IrishCategory Entrees
OUR TOP 12 SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Author Carl HansonEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
GUINNESS SHEPHERD'S PIE FOR TWO (GLUTEN FREE ...
4.6/5 (46)Category Main DishesCuisine IrishTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Have two 12 or 14-ounce ramekins, one 6x2inch round cake pan, or one 1-quart casserole dish ready.
- Add potatoes to a large pot with a handful of salt. Bring to a boil. Let this heat up while you cook the meat filling.
- Heat the oil in large skillet (preferably 12 inch) until hot. Once hot, add the meat, onion, and a big pinch of salt. Cook until the beef is browned, about 5-8 minutes.
MEXICAN SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - CLASSIC WITH A TWIST | THE ...
4.5/5 (24)Total Time 1 hrCategory Main CourseCalories 242 per serving
- While potatoes are cooking, heat an oven safe 10" skillet over medium high and add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic, sauteing for about 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add ground turkey to the skillet, and continue cooking, breaking up the ground turkey with a spoon, until turkey is cooked through.
- Add peppers, corn, chiles, chili powder, cilantro, cumin and lime juice. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until peppers are slightly softened.
ASIAN INSPIRED SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE WITH GROUND BEEF ...
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hrCategory Main DishCalories 586 per serving
- In a large frying pan cook oil, onions and celery over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add in ground beef, cook until fully browned.
- In the meantime, place potatoes in a large pot of boiling water. Boil until cooked through, and then drain. Add in butter and milk, mash.
- Once meat is browned, drain any excess fat. Add flour, stir until well mixed. Add Soya Sauce, VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce, Tomato Sauce and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, partially covered, until slightly thickened.
- Spray 9"x13" baking dish with oil. Spread meat mixture in dish. Layer with peas and corn. Top evenly with mashed potatoes.
SHEPHERDS PIE - YOUR TOP SOURCE OF FILIPINO RECIPES
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 3 minsServings 6Total Time 55 mins
- Put-in the Worcestershire sauce, salt, ground black pepper, and beef broth. Stir and simmer for 12 minutes.
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - AMANDA'S COOKIN' - GROUND BEEF
Ratings 16Calories 473 per servingCategory Dinner
- In a large skillet, brown the beef until no longer pink. Drain off excess grease. Add onion, garlic, and zucchini and saute for 3-5 minutes.
SHEPHERD'S PIE: HOW TO MAKE IT + WAYS TO SWITCH IT UP ...
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
- In a greased casserole dish, layer meat, vegetables, mashed potatoes, salt, pepper, and cheese (optional).
CLASSIC BEEF SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - THE COOKFUL
5/5 (1)Total Time 50 minsAuthor DeneCalories 429 per serving
- Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and stir. Immediately add in the ground beef, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until meat is cooked through, about 7-8 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Place cut potatoes in pot filled with cold water. Add salt. Turn heat to high and cover slightly. Once boiling uncover and drop heat to medium-high. Cook until you can pierce potatoes easily with a fork, about 10-15 minutes.
11 TWISTS ON SHEPHERD’S PIE – SHEKNOWS
- Vegetarian-style shepherd’s pie. This hearty, warm, vegetarian-style shepherd’s pie replaces the meat with veggie-style grounds, which are mixed with a variety of veggies and topped with fluffy homemade mashed potatoes.
- Stuffed Irish shepherd’s pie potatoes. Make these stuffed Irish shepherd’s pie potatoes and everyone can have their own individual portion. As blogger Alejandra recommends, make a big batch of these and freeze them for quick lunches.
- Meatless shepherd’s pie. Have vegetarians in the family? This meatless shepherd’s pie will bring everyone to the table.
- Shepherd’s pie in a jar. Another great version of individual portions, this shepherd’s pie in a jar is perfect for bringing to a St. Patrick’s Day potluck party.
- Southwest turkey shepherd’s pie. Like we recommended, using local spices makes for a fun twist on a classic Irish recipe. This Southwest turkey shepherd’s pie uses different spices to bring some extra flavor into the meal.
- Leftover turkey shepherd’s pie. The perfect pie to make after Thanksgiving but perfect any other time of year, this leftover turkey shepherd’s pie will have everyone thinking you slaved in the kitchen for hours when you actually just used leftovers.
- Cheesy shepherd’s pie with ground. beef or lentils and crimini mushrooms. Mushrooms are a fantastic replacement for meat, since their texture when cooked is similar.
- Lamb shepherd’s pie with garlic mashed potato crust. A classic meat used in Irish cooking, lamb is a fantastic source of protein to use in this recipe. Bake this lamb shepherd’s pie with garlic mashed potato crust and indulge in the true Irish spirit.
- Seafood shepherd’s pie. Live on the coast? Bring this seafood shepherd’s pie to your St. Patrick’s party using fresh, local seafood. Scallops, shrimp, clams and lobster would be a great addition.
- Lentil and veggie shepherd’s pie. Another fantastic option for vegetable lovers, this lentil and veggie shepherd’s pie focuses on the heartiness of lentils, a nutritious legume that will fill up the hungriest of bellies.
THE BEST CLASSIC SHEPHERD’S PIE WITH MASHED POTATOES ...
Servings 6Calories 520 per servingCategory Main Course
MIX-AND-MATCH SHEPHERD'S PIE | RECIPES, DINNERS AND …
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
OLD FASHIONED SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH CORN - OLD FASHIONED ...
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
SHEPHERD'S PIE DISHES YOU'LL WANT TO MAKE ALL WINTER LONG
CAN YOU FREEZE SHEPHERD’S PIE? HERE'S HOW YOU CAN DO THIS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a good recipe for Shepherd's pie?Ingredients for Shepherd’s Pie. 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or lamb) 1/2 large onion, diced. 1/2 medium zucchini, grated. 3 cloves garlic, finely minced. 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce. 2 tbsp tomato paste.
Why is it called Shepherd's pie?Shepherd’s Pie was originally called Cottage Pie. Some would argue that this recipe can’t be called Shepherd’s Pie because it doesn’t contain lamb. Americans have adapted the original meaning of the recipe title to suit a beef-eating culture.
Can you freeze Shepherd's pie?Make sure to freeze it as soon as possible after cooking to avoid having the liquid separate from the meat. Prepare your Shepherd’s pie according to your preferred recipe but do not put it in the oven to bake. If your recipe calls for shredded cheese to be added, add that after thawing.
What kind of vegetables are used in Shepherd's pie?The most traditional vegetables you will find in this dish are carrots, peas, and onions. That isn't the only mixture that is known, and our family loves the addition of some corn. Below are some other vegetables that I have seen in a cottage or shepherd's pie and know are still considered pretty true to original flavors.