This is my favorite cornbread. I found it about a year ago on another website. I can't remember where. You will need an activated sourdough starter. Hope you like it. NOTE: Please read through directions before beginning as preparation time does NOT include fermentation time. If I am planning ot it for dinner, I just start it in the morning .
Provided by Barb K
Yield 1 skillet, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Stir together the starter, buttermilk,cornmeal and flour and let it sit covered in a cool place overnight. (I just leave it on the counter). Heat an oiled iron skillet or a cake pan in the oven at 400 degrees F. When the oven and pan are really hot, stir the egg, oil, salt, sugar, baking powder, and soda into the batter. NOTE: If mixture seems a little to thick, just add a little more buttermilk, until it is the consistency of a regular cornbread batter. Pour the batter into the hot pan and pop it into the oven to bake until done, about 25-30 minutes.
- 1.If I want it for dinner, I just start it in the morning.
- 2. I use about a 10 inch iron skillet.
BETTER-THAN-BAKERY NO-KNEAD SOURDOUGH
This crusty, chewy, tangy bread can't be beat. You'll be shocked at how simple it is to create such a professional loaf at home. Glossy, crunchy crust. Resilient, airy crumb. Baking inside a Dutch oven (set in your kitchen oven) does an excellent job simulating the effects of a professional bread oven.
Provided by hrabbot
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Mix water and salt together in a very large bowl. Add sourdough starter and whisk vigorously to mix and aerate; stir in 3 cups bread flour until smooth. Stir in remaining 3 cups bread flour until dough is completely mixed.
- Cover bowl and set aside until dough is bubbly and increased in volume, 12 to 15 hours.
- Turn dough on to a well floured work surface using floured hands. Turn dough several times to cover with flour. Return dough to an oiled bowl and let rest until dough is doubled in size but not risen enough to collapse, 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat an oven-safe, lidded Dutch oven (at least 8 quarts) in a 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove Dutch oven using oven mitts and sprinkle cornmeal into the bottom to prevent dough from sticking.
- Gently roll dough out of oiled bowl and into the Dutch oven; replace lid.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove lid and continue baking until crust is lightly browned, about 15 minutes more. Carefully tip loaf out onto a cooking rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 32.6 calories, Carbohydrate 6.4 g, Cholesterol 0.1 mg, Fat 0.1 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 1.4 g, Sodium 491.1 mg, Sugar 0.5 g
BASIC SOURDOUGH BREAD WITH CORNMEAL (BREAD MACHINE)
- In the bowl of your bread machine add the ingredients in the order they are listed.
- Make sure that the yeast does not touch the water.
- Set the bread machine on bread cycle.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1760, Fat 17.8, SaturatedFat 8.2, Cholesterol 30.5, Sodium 3604.4, Carbohydrate 348.7, Fiber 16.3, Sugar 14, Protein 46.9
More about "sourdough cornmeal bread recipes"
FLUFFY SOURDOUGH CORNBREAD — BLESS THIS MESS
5/5 (3)Total Time 55 minsCategory SideCalories 283 per serving
- Mix the sourdough starter, milk, cornmeal, and flour together in a medium mixing bowl. At this point, you can cover the bowl with a clean dish towel and set the mixture aside at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours to help it develop a more sour flavor, or you can go right into adding the other ingredients. It’s very flexible and can work with your taste preferences and schedule. Do not let it rest more than 2 hours at room temperature, though.
- When you are ready to move forward with making the cornbread after your chosen timing, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., and spray a 9-inch baking dish, cast iron skillet, or a round pie plate well with cooking spray (or butter it well).
SOURDOUGH CORNBREAD MUFFINS - THE SOUTHERN LADY COOKS
4/5 (1)Category BreadCuisine American, SouthernTotal Time 35 mins
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, sourdough starter, buttermilk, honey and cooking oil. Mix well with a spoon.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and fill cups about 1/2 full. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes until tops are good and brown. Makes 12 muffins.
SOURDOUGH CORNBREAD - REBOOTED MOM
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
SOURDOUGH CORNBREAD | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE …
MAIZE FLOUR BREAD RECIPES - CORNMEAL BREAD | THE BREAD SHE ...
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
SOURDOUGH CORNMEAL BREAD | FROM THE GRAPEVINE
AT THE IMMIGRANT'S TABLE: ROSEMARY SOURDOUGH BREAD
4.2/5 (5)Total Time 48 hrs 30 minsCategory BreadCalories 1488 per serving
- Two nights before you're planning to bake your bread, revive your starter: remove starter from fridge and let come to room temperature. Stir the starter well to recombine any liquid that may have gathered on the top. Measure out 1 cup of starter.
- When ready to bake, chop rosemary finely. Dump the bread flour and whole-grain flour into a mixing bowl, and stir with a wooden spoon to combine well. Add salt and chopped rosemary, and stir to combine.
- About 30 minutes before baking, place a broiler pan on the bottom rack of the oven. Place your baking sheet on in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 450F.
THE BEST SOURDOUGH CORNBREAD RECIPE - THE GINGERED …
4.4/5 (138)Total Time 8 hrs 35 minsCategory BreadCalories 328 per serving
SOURDOUGH CORNBREAD WITH JALAPENO & FRESH CORN - BAKING SENSE®
4.3/5 (14)Category BreadsCuisine Baked GoodsTotal Time 3 hrs 55 mins
- Combine the starter, water, salt and honey in a mixing bowl. Mix with beater on medium speed to combine. Add 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour and mix for 1 minute on medium speed.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the cornmeal and grated onion. Switch to the dough hook. Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough gathers around the hook and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- You can mix the dough by hand starting with a wooden spoon and switching to your hands when the dough gets too thick to stir.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few times to create a smooth ball. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turn once to coat the dough.
BAKED SOURDOUGH TORTILLA CORN CHIPS RECIPE (DISCARD OR ...
4.8/5 (8)Category Appetizer, Party Food, Side Dish, SnackServings 72Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Next shape and squish each dough ball into a patty like rectangular shape until the dough thickness is about a half inch.
- Place the rectangular dough patties on their own plates and cover with plastic wrap, parchment paper, or beeswax wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours hours.
WILD RICE, CRANBERRY, AND CORNMEAL SOURDOUGH | KING ARTHUR ...
3.8/5 (20)Total Time 5 hrs 50 minsServings 1Calories 108 per serving
- Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess. , In a large bowl, combine the starter, water, yeast, cornmeal, and flours.
- Mix and knead for 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes., Knead in the cooked wild rice, salt, and dried cranberries.
SOURDOUGH CORNMEAL MILLET BREAD TURNIPS 2 TANGERINES
Cuisine All-AmericanCategory Bread, Sourdough
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and honey in warm water; set in a warm spot for about 10 minutes, until mixture becomes bubbly. Add starter, oil, millet, cornmeal and salt; mix well. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the flour then continue mixing in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead 5 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic, kneading in more flour if needed to keep dough from sticking. Form dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover loosely and set in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough and knead briefly on a floured surface. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 9 x 5-inch pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place the loaf in a warm spot to rise for about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. If desired, brush top of hot loaf with about 2 teaspoons of butter. Cool on wire rack.
THE BEST (AND ONLY?) SOURDOUGH CORNMEAL WAFFLE RECIPE EVER ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
SOURDOUGH CORN BREAD RECIPE, WHATS COOKING AMERICA
Cuisine AmericanCategory BreadServings 2Total Time 1 hr
HEALTHY SOURDOUGH BREAD RECIPE - GUBBATV
PUMPKIN SOURDOUGH BREAD RECIPE
SOURDOUGH CORNMEAL BREAD RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
SOURDOUGH CORNMEAL BREAD #1 RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
SOURDOUGH DISCARD CORNBREAD – ANKARSRUM USA
SOURDOUGH CORNBREAD - CHALLENGER BREADWARE
SOURDOUGH CORNMEAL BREAD RECIPES
SOURDOUGH CORNBREAD | EMERILS.COM
SOURDOUGH CORNMEAL BREAD - UNPACKED
#time-to-make #course #preparation #sourdough #breads #bread-machine #easy #yeast #equipment #small-appliance #3-steps-or-less #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make sourdough cornbread at home?In a large bowl, mix the starter, milk, cornmeal & flour - let sit on the counter for 1-2 hours (covered). In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, eggs, & melted butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the sour batter. Mix in the baking soda and powder just until blended.
How to make your own sourdough bread dough?Directions 1 Mix water and salt together in a very large bowl. Add sourdough starter and whisk vigorously to mix and aerate; stir in 3 cups bread flour until smooth. ... 2 Cover bowl and set aside until dough is bubbly and increased in volume, 12 to 15 hours. 3 Turn dough on to a well floured work surface using floured hands. ... More items...
Is it good to discard cornmeal in sourdough bread?Since cornmeal has a pretty strong flavor, the sourdough discard adds a background note of subtle tanginess, which brings that extra something to the bread. Let us know if you have any questions or comments or more suggestions on how to use up that sourdough starter discard. Happy baking!
How long does it take to ferment sourdough corn bread?Cover and ferment for 2.5 hours, with folds at 50 and 100 minutes. Turn the dough into a lightly floured counter. Divide it into 6 pieces of approximately 250 grams each. Preshape them into balls and let rest, covered, for 30 minutes. Shape the dough into balls and place them, seam-side-up, into small floured, linen-lined bowls or baskets.