If you didn't grow up in a coastal town in the South, you might never have eaten pickled shrimp with your Thanksgiving dinner. But since you can use frozen shrimp in this recipe, it might be time to try. Briny and a bit spicy, this pickled shrimp is full of flavor. You can make this dish the day before the feast for a faint pickle taste or leave them in the refrigerator for a week before, which means you'll bring something with huge personality to the table. Either way, this might become a tradition for your family. Good for a week.
Provided by Shauna James Ahern
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Fill a large bowl with ice-cold water.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add shrimp and 1 tablespoon salt; reduce heat to low and cook until shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Drain the shrimp and transfer to the bowl of cold water until chilled, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain again.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon salt, lemon zest and juice, parsley, pickling spice, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Pour in olive oil and whisk together to make the pickling oil.
- Fill a resealable glass jar with shrimp and shallots in 4 alternating layers. Pour the pickling oil on top, submerging all contents. Put on the lid and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 650.3 calories, Carbohydrate 18.4 g, Cholesterol 172.6 mg, Fat 57.4 g, Fiber 4.5 g, Protein 20.9 g, SaturatedFat 8.2 g, Sodium 3088.6 mg, Sugar 1.5 g
SOUTHERN PICKLED SHRIMP
Pickled shrimp are not your standard, classic pickle: it's more of a preservation technique, using oil, acid in the form of lemon juice, and tons of flavor from onion, bay leaf, allspice, and celery seed. Everything comes together in this beautiful thing that you can pile on top of crusty bread, chop into salsa, or serve with toothpicks, just like grandma used to.
Provided by Hugh Acheson
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Cook the shrimp: Prepare an ice bath and set aside. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low and add the Old Bay and shrimp. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through. Drain, then plunge the shrimp into the ice water to cool. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Make the pickling mixture: In a mixing bowl, combine the onion, parsley, garlic, bay leaves, lemon juice, olive oil, allspice, chili flakes, celery seed, and salt. Add the shrimp and gently stir to combine them with the pickling mixture.
- Finish the pickled shrimp: In a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid (Mason or Weck), arrange the shrimp, onions, and pickling mixture in layers. Seal with lid and let sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving. The shrimp will keep in the fridge for 4-6 days.
- Bring water, salt, lemon juice, peppercorns, and pepper flakes to a boil and poach the shrimp. Drain and place in heat proof bowl. Bring marinade ingredients to a boil and pour over shrimp. Allow to cool and refrigerate. Can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
BEST PICKLED SHRIMP
These pickled shrimp are the best--a perfect light appetizer that can be made ahead of time and enjoyed as-is with a cold glass of white wine. You'll love the contrast between the bright lemon acidity and the pungent peppers, onions, and capers.
Provided by NicoleMcmom
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Combine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, onion, lemon slices, Fresno chile, garlic, crushed bay leaves, capers, celery seed, and lemon zest in a large bowl; stir until well combined. Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the shrimp.
- Combine 3 quarts of water and seafood seasoning in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for exactly 2 minutes. Drain well and add to chilled onion mixture. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours to overnight, or up to 4 days.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 225.3 calories, Carbohydrate 3.9 g, Cholesterol 172.8 mg, Fat 14.6 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 19 g, SaturatedFat 2.1 g, Sodium 642.8 mg, Sugar 0.8 g
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss thoroughly. Pack everything into a large glass jar, cover, and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to come together. Serve with toothpicks.
- In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, the pepper, the salt, the sugar, the mustard, the red pepper flakes, the mustard seeds, and the coriander seeds and add the oil in a stream, whisking. Whisk the marinade until it is emulsified and stir in the garlic and the bay leaf. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water cook the shrimp for 1 minute, or until they are just cooked through, drain them well, and add them to the marinade. Let the mixture cool, stir in the onion and the lemon, and let the shrimp mixture marinate, covered and chilled, stirring occasionally, for at least 12 hours and up to 1 day. Stir in the minced dill or parsley, transfer the pickled shrimp to a bowl, and garnish it with the dill sprigs.
More about "southern pickled shrimp recipes"
EASY SOUTHERN PICKLED SHRIMP - MY FORKING LIFE
5/5 (1)Total Time 10 minsCategory AppetizerCalories 101 per serving
- Shrimp preparation - Bring the water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Place the shrimp in the water and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the shrimp is pink on the outside. Remove the shrimp from the water and place in a 32 oz mason jar.
- Brine preparation - Add distilled vinegar, water, onion, dill, white sugar, black peppercorn, salt, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves if using to the mason jar. Cover and shake it up.
- Place in the refrigerator and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, remove shrimp from brine and enjoy.
PICKLED SHRIMP - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.7/5 (18)Total Time 6 hrs 18 minsCategory Appetizer, SaladCalories 186 per serving
RECIPE: SOUTHERN-STYLE PICKLED SHRIMP | KITCHN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
RECIPE - SOUTHERN STYLE PICKLED SHRIMP | COOKINGBITES COOKING …
SOUTHERN LIVING PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT …
SOUTHERN-STYLE PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE | YUMMLY | RECIPE | PICKLED …
SUNDAY SUPPER...SOUTHERN PICKLED SHRIMP - PROVIDENCE DESIGN
DEEP SOUTH DISH: PICKLED SHRIMP
PICKLED SHRIMP - COOKTHESTORY
RECIPE PICKLES SHRIMP OVERNIGHT | ST. MARY NOW
PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE - PAULA DEEN - SOUTHERN FOOD
63 SOUTHERN-STYLE SHRIMP RECIPES | SOUTHERN LIVING
EASY LOWCOUNTRY QUICK PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE & VIDEO - EAT …
JESSE HOUSTON'S PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
PICKLED SHRIMP, SAVANNAH-STYLE – GARDEN & GUN
THIS PICKLED SHRIMP SALAD IS REFRESHING, LIKE SOUTHERN CEVICHE
SOUTHERN PICKLED SHRIMP – A SNEAK PEEK INTO SUMMER FEAST
7 SIMPLE SOUTHERN SHRIMP RECIPES PERFECT FOR SUMMERTIME
LOWCOUNTRY PICKLED SHRIMP – GARDEN & GUN
PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE PICKLED SHRIMP | HANK SHAW
PICKLED SHRIMP - SIMPLE SHRIMP RECIPE | SOUTHERN FOOD …
SOUTHERN PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
PICKLED SHRIMP - A SOUTHERN SOUL
SOUTHERN STYLE PICKLED SHRIMP! - PICKLEADDICTS.COM
LOUISIANA PICKLED SHRIMP IN A JAR - SOUTHERN DISCOURSE
37 BEST SHOWER RECIPES - SOUTHERN DISCOURSE
PICKLED SHRIMP - TASTE OF THE SOUTH
HOW TO MAKE PICKLED SHRIMP - BEST RECIPE | CHARLESTON MAGAZINE
CHEF FRANK STITT’S PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE BY SUSAN BENTON
SOUTHERN PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
SOUTHERN PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
PICKLED SHRIMP - SOUTHERN LADY MAGAZINE
SOUTHERN LIVING SHRIMP PASTA RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
3 PICKLED "SEA ISLAND" SHRIMP RECIPES - THE SOUTHERN C
CHARLESTON HARBOR PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SOUTHERN LIVING PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
PICKLED SHRIMP | SAVEUR
SOUTHERN-STYLE PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE | YUMMLY | RECIPE | PICKLED …
JOHN BESH'S PICKLED SHRIMP | LOUISIANA KITCHEN & CULTURE
BOBBY'S PICKLED SHRIMP | PAULA DEEN - SOUTHERN FOOD
QUICK PICKLED SHRIMP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Southern-Style Pickled Shrimp??!! Recipe Test2.1K views-09:35
Jesse Houston Pickled Shrimp | Southern Living9.7K views-01:41
Pickled Shrimp | Emeril Lagasse10K views-01:30
Pickled shrimp recipe736 views-04:20
How to make PICKLED SHRIMP recipe5.9K views-04:21
Charleston Pickled Shrimp12K views-06:36
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a good Shrimp Pickle Recipe?Pickled Shrimp. Pickled Shrimp is a simple shrimp recipe that you can serve as an appetizer or as a main course. Ingredients. Instructions. Use a large sealable container. In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegar, and oil to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Layer half the shrimp and cover with half the onions.
Do you have to boil shrimp before pickling?Unlike a ceviche, pickled shrimp are actually cooked before pickling. Some cooks just toss a bunch of bay leaves in the salty boiling water, but I prefer either some Old Bay seasoning or Zatarain’s crab boil. It adds one more layer of flavor.
How do you cook shrimp in Old Bay sauce?Cook the shrimp: Prepare an ice bath and set aside. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low and add the Old Bay and shrimp. Cook for about 2–3 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through. Drain, then plunge the shrimp into the ice water to cool. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
How to cook shrimp in a crock pot?In a large saucepan, combine 2 quarts well-salted water, the celery, onion, bay leaves, and lemon slices and bring to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook until just pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the shrimp in a colander and rinse under cool running water to stop the cooking.