SOUTHERN TEA CAKES
There were nine children in our family and Mother had to stretch the budget, so she made these often for dessert. I loved them when I was a child, and they're still a special treat. In fact, I've never met anyone who doesn't like these cookies. They're so simple and quick to make.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield about 3 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir in flour; mix well. , Drop by tablespoonfuls 2-1/2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 252 calories, Fat 11g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 25mg cholesterol, Sodium 251mg sodium, Carbohydrate 34g carbohydrate (19g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 3g protein.
GRANDMA'S TEA CAKES
When I was a child, these golden cookies were a special treat from my grandmother, who often invited me to tea parties at her house. Now when I make these cookies. I remember those warm special times.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5-1/2 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and extract; beat well. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Chill for 1-2 hours. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place 2-1/2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned (do not overbake). Cool 1 minute on pan before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 150 calories, Fat 6g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 20mg cholesterol, Sodium 97mg sodium, Carbohydrate 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 2g protein.
AUNT BURVIN'S SOUTHERN TEA CAKES
- Beat white sugar, confectioners' sugar, and butter together in a stand mixer until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat until fully incorporated. Pour oil into sugar-butter mixture; beat until smooth. Slowly add flour to sugar-butter mixture, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition until dough is stiff. Refrigerate dough, 8 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Drop dough by the spoonful onto baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Work in batches if needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 293.5 calories, Carbohydrate 31.1 g, Cholesterol 35.8 mg, Fat 17.5 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 2.9 g, SaturatedFat 6.2 g, Sodium 358.1 mg, Sugar 13.7 g
GRANDMA'S OLD FASHIONED TEA CAKES
A soft teacake that is best when one to two days old. You can change flavors by substituting almond or lemon extract for the vanilla. Add a few drop of food coloring to dress up the dough for special occasions.
Provided by RGA
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; stir into the creamed mixture. Knead dough for a few turnns on a floured board until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 187.8 calories, Carbohydrate 26.6 g, Cholesterol 35.8 mg, Fat 8.3 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 2.2 g, SaturatedFat 5 g, Sodium 135.3 mg, Sugar 14.7 g
More about "southern tea cakes recipes"
OLD FASHIONED TEA CAKE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
Servings 12Total Time 1 hr 35 minsCategory Cakes
- Combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to mix.
- Scatter butter across surface. Pulse until butter is completely incorporated into dry ingredients. Add buttermilk and pulse a few times until the dough clumps together. Gather dough, barely kneading until you can shape the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. On a well floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle. Use a 3-inch round cutter to punch out circles from the dough; transfer circles to prepared baking sheet. Reroll scraps and cut out additional circles.
- Bake until tea cakes have puffed slightly and barely take on color, 12-14 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.
THE BEST SOUTHERN TEA CAKES RECIPE ONLINE
4/5 (210)Total Time 15 minsCategory SnackCalories 180 per serving
- In the bowl of your mixer, add butter and sugar and mix together on high speed until fluffy and smooth (about 4-5 minutes).
- Turn mixer to medium speed and add in one egg and vanilla extract and beat until well incorporated.
- Lastly, turn mixer to slow speed and add in flour mixture in intervals of three beating after each addition to incorporate.
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES | PAULA DEEN
Servings 13Total Time 13 mins
BLACK FOLKS SOUTHERN TEA CAKE RECIPE - THE SOUL FOOD POT
Ratings 1Total Time 22 minsCategory DessertCalories 143 per serving
OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN TEA CAKES RECIPE - THE STORIED RECIPE
DEEPLY SOUTHERN TEA CAKES » NOT ENTIRELY AVERAGE
EPISODE 59: OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - YOUTUBE
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
HOW TO MAKE SOUTHERN KETO TEA CAKES – BEST KETO TEA CAKES RECIPE
DELICIOUS SOUTHERN TEA CAKES RECIPE | BEAUTIFUL CAKES AND COOKIES
OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - TEA CAKE RECIPE
TEA CAKES - OLD-FASHIONED SOUTHERN FAVORITE RECIPE
TEA CAKES RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
SOUTHERN TEA CAKE COOKIES | 12 TOMATOES
TEA CAKES RECIPE WITH ICING - SOUTHERN PLATE
OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - BIGOVEN.COM
RETRO SOUTHERN RECIPES - TEA CAKES (COOKIES) - MERRY ABOUT TOWN
THE BEST SOUTHERN TEA CAKES YOU'LL EVER HAVE | EASY TEA CAKE …
GRANDMA'S SOUTHERN TEA CAKES | I HEART RECIPES
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES! - SWEET TEA AND CORNBREAD
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES (PLUS VIDEO) - IMMACULATE BITES
OLD-FASHIONED TEA CAKES RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES, UPDATED - FIRST AND FULL
AUTHENTIC SOUTHERN TEA CAKES RECIPE | COOKIES AND CUPS
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES | SYRUP AND BISCUITS
THE BEST OLD FASHIONED TEA CAKES RECIPE - SOUTHERN KISSED
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES – BIJOUXS | LITTLE JEWELS FROM THE KITCHEN
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - ECLECTIC RECIPES
OLD-FASHIONED TEA CAKES - SOUTHERN KITCHEN
NANNY'S OLD FASHIONED TEA CAKES | MY NOURISHED HOME
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - MELISSASSOUTHERNSTYLEKITCHEN.COM
CLASSIC TEA CAKES RECIPE – SIMPLY SOUTHERN MOM
EASY SOUTHERN TEA CAKES RECIPE - KENNETH TEMPLE
OLD FASHIONED TEA CAKES - SOUTHERN-STYLE LIKE GRANDMA'S!
SWAN'S SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - CINNAMON AND SUGAR
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 CAKES
CLASSIC TEA CAKES - SOUTHERN LADY MAGAZINE
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE COMMUNITY!
OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - DEEP SOUTH DISH
LEMON GLAZED SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - CREOLE CONTESSA
25 BEST SOUTHERN DESSERTS - INSANELY GOOD RECIPES
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES ARE EASY AND DELICIOUS - AN ALLI EVENT
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES - BAKECELLENCE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to bake old fashioned southern tea cakes?Bake at 350 degrees to 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Old Fashioned Southern Tea Cakes 2 1/2 cups Flour sifted 1/4 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoon Baking powder 1/2 CUP Butter 1 CUP Sugar 2 Eggs 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 1 tablespoon milk Sift flour, salt, baking powder together. Cream butter, sugar, eggs together.
How do you make a simple tea cake?1 Combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to mix. ... 2 Scatter butter across surface. Pulse until butter is completely incorporated into dry ingredients. ... 3 Preheat oven to 350°F. ... 4 Bake until tea cakes have puffed slightly and barely take on color, 12-14 minutes. ...
Where do Southern Tea Cakes come from?This recipe for Southern Tea Cakes is a very old recipe, handed down from one generation to another. Its origins, a remarkably deep history with the African American community. Get My Recipes For These Thoughtful (but sooo easy!) Cookies, Bars, and Cakes Just By Clicking On Each Highlighted Link Below
What are tea cakes?A Traditional Southern tea cakes recipe makes simple cookies with more of a cake like taste. They have been pared-down ingredient list which results in a simple flavor. The term “tea cake” comes from the fact that the cookie lends itself to being paired with a cup of hot tea.