RIVER ROAD SPINACH MADELEINE
This is my adaptation of the recipe in the River Road Recipes cookbook from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, La. This has been around at least since the 1960's and is still a favorite. It tastes better the next day after it is made. It freezes beautifully.
Provided by Miss Annie
Yield 5-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Cook spinach as directed on package; drain; reserve 1/2 cup liquid.
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Add onion; cook until soft but not brown.
- Slowly add milk and reserved spinach liquid, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in garlic salt, celery salt, pepper, Worcestershire and cheese; continue stirring until sauce is smooth.
- Combine with spinach.
- Pour into a 1 1/2-quart casserole and top with crumbs.
- Bake at 350ºF until heated through and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.
SPINACH MADELEINE TART WITH CHEESY PASTRY
Try this tart as a veggie course at Christmas or other celebration. With cheesy pastry and a cheese and spinach filling, it's sure to be a crowdpleaser
Provided by Anna Glover
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Unravel the pastry on a lightly floured work surface, and sprinkle the 2 tbsp of hard cheese over one half of the pastry along with ½ tsp cayenne and a crack of black pepper. Fold the other half of the pastry over to close it like a book, and roll out, squashing the cheese in the middle, until it fits into a 22cm tart tin with an overhang. Prick the base with a fork, cover with a sheet of parchment and fill with baking beans. Cook for 15 mins, then remove the parchment and beans. Bake for 10-15 mins until lightly golden, then leave to cool in the tin.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Spoon small piles of the remaining hard cheese (about 16) in a thin layer onto the sheet, then bake for 5-7 mins until bubbling and melted. As soon as they look lacy, remove from the oven or they will burn quite quickly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and crisp up. Will keep in an airtight container for two days.
- Put the spinach in a sieve over a clean bowl, and squeeze well with the back of a spoon. Keep the liquid.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based pan and fry the shallots with a pinch of salt for 10 mins. Stir in the garlic, thyme and 2 tbsp flour, then pour in 250ml of the spinach water, boiling for 1-2 mins. Stir in the mascarpone, nutmeg and a pinch of cayenne, and cook for 5 mins.
- Fold through the cheddar and spinach, tip into a bowl and leave to cool for 5-10 mins. Stir in the eggs. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the tart case, then pour in the filling. Bake for 35-40 mins until golden. Leave to cool a little before topping with thyme and the cheesy crisps.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 460 calories, Fat 30 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 30 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 16 grams sugar, Fiber 10 grams fiber, Protein 13 grams protein, Sodium 0.5 milligram of sodium
- Melt butter in a skillet over low heat. Add bread crumbs. Cook and stir until butter is incorporated into the bread crumbs. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Place spinach in a microwave-safe baking dish. Add water. Cover and cook on high for 7 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Drain over a measuring cup. Add enough evaporated milk to make 1/2 cup. Set aside.
- Melt butter in the skillet. Add flour and cook, stirring continuously, until mixture turns paste-like. Add onion and cook, stirring constantly until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture, stirring constantly. Mix in cheese, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Add spinach and cook until well incorporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Place spinach mixture in a small greased baking dish, top with bread crumbs, and place under the broiler until bread crumbs are golden, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 428.8 calories, Carbohydrate 25.6 g, Cholesterol 85.8 mg, Fat 30.2 g, Fiber 4.7 g, Protein 16.8 g, SaturatedFat 17.3 g, Sodium 683.2 mg, Sugar 5.3 g
FRESH SPINACH MADELINE
- Place spinach and water in a microwave-safe steamer. Microwave until spinach is wilted down, about 2 minutes. Drain off liquid and set spinach aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in flour to create a paste. Season with salt. Pour in half-and-half, whisking continuously until smooth. Add onion, garlic, ancho chile powder, and cayenne, whisking until incorporated. Add spinach.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons habanero-flavored cheese. Stir remaining cheese into the spinach mixture and spoon into a small oval baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn on the oven's broiler and broil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 364.4 calories, Carbohydrate 15.5 g, Cholesterol 84.8 mg, Fat 27.6 g, Fiber 2.8 g, Protein 17.4 g, SaturatedFat 17.6 g, Sodium 548.8 mg, Sugar 0.8 g
RIVER ROAD SPINACH MADELINE
First published in 1959 in River Road Recipes, the Junior League of Baton Rouge's community cookbook, spinach Madeline remains a favorite side dish in Southern Louisiana. Thick and creamy with a hint of jalapeno heat, it's most at home on holidays next to turkey, cornbread dressing, and green bean casserole. It's easy to make and easy to multiply for big gatherings. This may be served immediately or put into a casserole and topped with buttered bread crumbs. The flavor is improved if the latter is done and kept in the refrigerator overnight. This may also be frozen.
Provided by Mary Claire Lagroue
Categories Spinach Casserole
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place frozen spinach and water in a saucepan over high heat; bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 8 minutes. Separate with a fork and cook for 2 more minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Slowly add evaporated milk and the reserved cooking liquid, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Add processed cheese spread, celery salt, garlic salt, pepper, cayenne, and salt; cook and stir until melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked spinach.
- Stir in cooked spinach and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 216.3 calories, Carbohydrate 11.8 g, Cholesterol 46.4 mg, Fat 15.9 g, Fiber 2.9 g, Protein 10.3 g, SaturatedFat 9.9 g, Sodium 1008.9 mg, Sugar 5 g
- Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain and reserve liquid. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. Add onions and sauté 3-5 minutes or until wilted. Add evaporated milk, spinach liquor and Worcestershire sauce slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook mixture until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Add seasonings and cubed cheese. Stir until melted and combine with cooked spinach. This may be served immediately or put into a casserole and topped with buttered bread crumbs. The flavor is improved if the latter is done and kept in refrigerator overnight.
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - (3.8/5)
Provided by Bigeasy110
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Sauté onions in butter until onions are clear. Add the flour and mix. Chip the jalapeño pepper cheese and to mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until cheese is all melted. Add spinach and mix well. Put in casserole dish and bake until bubbly on sides. at 375 degrees
- Cook spinach according to directions.
- Drain and keep liquid.
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until soft but not brown.
- Add flour, stirring while blending.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved spinach liquid and evaporated milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cook until smooth and thick.
- Continue stirring.
- Add pepper, celery salt and cheese.
- Stir some more till melted.
- Combine with cooked spinach.
- Top with buttered bread crumbs if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 243.3, Fat 18.3, SaturatedFat 11.3, Cholesterol 51.7, Sodium 313.6, Carbohydrate 10.2, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 1.4, Protein 11.7
The jalapeños in this American-inspired dish from Good Food reader Pippa Greve give the spinach a lovely warmth
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Side dish
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for 2 mins. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 mins until soft. Add the mascarpone, then slowly add the spinach liquid, stirring until smooth. Cook for 4-5 mins until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the cheddar, jalapeños, celery salt, paprika and spinach. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 40 mins until golden.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 295 calories, Fat 25 grams fat, SaturatedFat 16 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 7 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 10 grams protein, Sodium 1.35 milligram of sodium
More about "spinach madeline recipes"
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
SPINACH MADELEINE - LOUISIANA COOKIN
BEST SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE SPICY …
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE • ROUSES SUPERMARKETS
SPINACH MADELINE - GEAUX ASK ALICE!
SPINACH MADELEINE RECIPE - CAJUN COOKING RECIPES
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
SPINACH MADELEINE RECIPE - AIMEE BROUSSARD
SPINACH MADELINE - RECIPE - COOKS.COM
SPINACH MADELINE – LOUISIANA PICKLE
SPINACH MADELINE RIVER ROAD RECIPES : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
KAYE'S SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
SPINACH MADELINE - THE WIMPY VEGETARIAN
SPINACH MADELEINE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE COMMUNITY!
MY WAY SPINACH BAKE AND THE ORIGINAL SPINACH MADELINE
SPINACH MADELEINE | FIRST...YOU HAVE A BEER
SPINACH MADELINE // THE SPECKLED PALATE
SPINACH MADELEINE | ROBERT ST. JOHN
RIVER ROAD SPINACH MADELEINE RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
SPINACH MADELINE - RECIPE - COOKS.COM
SPINACH MADELINE (LOW FODMAP) — IBS GAME CHANGER
RECIPE: SPINACH MADELEINE | WHOLE FOODS MARKET
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE • ROUSES SUPERMARKETS - EASY RECIPES
SPINACH MADELEINE RECIPE JOHN BESH - THERESCIPES.INFO
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH MADELINE | CAJUN COOKING TV
DEEP SOUTH DISH: SPINACH MADELEINE BAKE - MY WAY
SPINACH MADELEINE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
RED STICK RECIPE: SPINACH MADELINE - VISIT BATON ROUGE
SPINACH MADELINE | | NOLA.COM
SPINACH MADELEINE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SPINACH MADELINE | RECIPE | VEGETABLE CASSEROLE RECIPES, VEGGIE ...
SPINACH MADELINE | HOW TO MAKE SPINACH MADELINE | COOKING
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #side-dishes #vegetables #american #cajun #southern-united-states #easy #beginner-cook #dinner-party #creole #comfort-food #inexpensive #greens #spinach #taste-mood #savory
You'll also love