The particular joy of this dreamy dessert, which was named in honor of the Russian ballerina, is that the meringue base can be made in advance. Then to serve it, drizzle the strawberries with a little balsamic vinegar and vanilla (a combination that brings out the fullest essential flavor of the fruit), whip some cream and arrange it all on a plate. It's magnificent, and deliriously easy.
Provided by Nigella Lawson
Categories brunch, project, dessert
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- To prepare meringue: heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and draw a circle on the paper using an 8- or 9- inch cake pan as a guide. Flip the parchment over so the pencil marking is facing down (this ensures that the pencil won't transfer to the meringue). In bowl of an electric mixer, combine egg whites and salt. Begin beating at low speed, slowly increasing to high. Continue until satiny peaks begin to form; gradually beat in sugar a tablespoon at a time until meringue is stiff and shiny.
- Sprinkle in cornstarch, white-wine vinegar and vanilla, and fold in gently. Mound onto parchment within circle, and shape into a disk, flattening top and smoothing sides. Place in oven, and immediately reduce heat to 300 degrees. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Turn off heat, and allow meringue to cool completely in oven.
- To prepare topping: in a mixing bowl, combine strawberries, vanilla, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Cover with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- To serve, carefully peel off parchment and place meringue on a platter or cake stand. Gently crack the top with the back of a soup spoon to make a shallow nest for the whipped cream and berries. Whip cream until it is thick enough to hold peaks, and spoon it evenly over meringue. Cover cream with strawberries, allowing a small amount of their liquid to dribble onto cream. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 472, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 50 grams, Fat 30 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 18 grams, Sodium 109 milligrams, Sugar 47 grams
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until stiff, glossy peaks form. Beat in cornstarch, vinegar and vanilla just until blended.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil, spread meringue into a 10-inch (25 cm) circle with a raised edge and a slight indentation in the centre.
- Bake in a preheated 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) oven until firm to the touch, about 1-1/4 hours. Meringue should be cream-coloured. If it appears to be browning, reduce oven temperature to 225 degrees F (105 degrees C).
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- When ready to serve, peel parchment paper off back of meringue. Place meringue on a serving plate. Cut strawberries into halves or slices, if large. Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gently stir in liqueur, if using. Spread whipped cream over meringue leaving edge of meringue visible. Top with strawberries. Cut into wedges to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 280.9 calories, Carbohydrate 27.9 g, Cholesterol 65.2 mg, Fat 17.8 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 2.8 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, Sodium 41.2 mg, Sugar 24.1 g
PAVLOVAS FILLED WITH STRAWBERRIES AND MANGOES
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Load meringue into a pastry bag fitted with medium plain or star tip. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and use a dab of meringue in each corner to secure paper to the pans. Pipe out spirals to form 4-inch disks, 4 disks on each baking sheet. On one baking sheet, build up the walls of each disks by piping around outer rim to form a shell. You should have four round open shells and four disks to be used as lids. Also, pipe out several mini meringue disks or bars to serve as tests. Place pans in oven and bake for about 1 1/2 hours. They should be thoroughly dry but not colored. Break open a test meringue: it should be not at all shiny. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries, mangoes, brown sugar and rum in medium bowl. Set aside until ready to serve.
- At serving time, whip cream with white sugar until soft peaks form. Places a dab of whipped cream in the bottom of each meringue shell. Spoon in fruit mixture, dividing evenly. Top with another dollop of whipped cream and set lids on top. Serve.
MINI STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PAVLOVAS
- For the meringues: Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch and set aside.
- Wipe a metal, glass or ceramic bowl out with paper towel and add in the egg whites and salt. Using a hand mixer, whip the egg whites on high until soft, foamy peaks form. With the mixer running, slowly sprinkle in the sugar mixture and continue to whip until the meringue is glossy and stiff peaks hold when the beaters are lifted out of the mixture.
- Whip in the vanilla. Using a large spoon, drop four large dollops of the meringue onto the prepared baking sheet, creating an indentation in the middle of each.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and allow the meringues to sit in the oven until cooled completely, about 30 minutes.
- For the toppings: Meanwhile, combine the strawberries and rhubarb in a small saucepan with the wine or water and 1/4 cup sugar. Place over medium-low heat and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fruit starts to break down and becomes jammy. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Just before serving, whip the cream with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and the vanilla. To serve, dollop whipped cream in the center of each pavlova and top with the fruit and a scattering of toasted almonds.
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2.
- Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on baking parchment.
- Whisk 4 egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in 250g caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the meringue looks glossy.
- Whisk in 1 tsp white wine vinegar, 1 tsp cornflour and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Spread the meringue inside the circle, creating a crater by making the sides a little higher than the middle.
- Bake for 1 hr, then turn off the heat and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven.
- When the meringue is cool, chop 100g of the hulled strawberries. Mix them with 100g of the redcurrants and 2 tbsp icing sugar.
- Place in a food processor, blitz until smooth, then push the fruit mixture through a sieve.
- Whip 350ml double cream with the remaining 1 tbsp icing sugar and spread it over the meringue. Put the remaining 400g hulled and halved strawberries and 100g redcurrants on the cream and finally pour the sauce over the whole lot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 525 calories, Fat 31 grams fat, SaturatedFat 18 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 60 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 59 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 4 grams protein, Sodium 0.17 milligram of sodium
I eat lots of fruits, and this recipe showcasing strawberries is a favorite. It's an impressive dessert that never fails. -Mary Pead, Ocala, Florida
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1-1/4 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Sprinkle cornstarch over egg white mixture; fold in. Fold in lemon juice and extract., Coat a 14-in. pizza pan with cooking spray. Spoon meringue onto pan, forming a 12-in. heart; build up edges slightly. Bake at 250° for 45-55 minutes or until crisp. Cool on pan on a wire rack., In a bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon over meringue; arrange strawberries over top. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 248 calories, Fat 15g fat (9g saturated fat), Cholesterol 54mg cholesterol, Sodium 34mg sodium, Carbohydrate 28g carbohydrate (26g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 2g protein.
It looks fancy but it's so easy!! Cooking time does not count the hours of cooling in the oven. It would work best making the meringue either the night before or early in the day then finish just before serving.
Provided by Elmotoo
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until glossy peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- On foil-lined baking sheet, spread meringue into a 10-inch circle, pushing up edges to form a slight ridge.
- Bake in a 275-degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven and leave meringue in oven to dry. Remove foil, and let cool. Place on serving platter.
- Slice the strawberries. Just before serving, spread whipped cream over meringue and cover with fruit. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 308.9, Fat 22.2, SaturatedFat 13.7, Cholesterol 81.5, Sodium 44.1, Carbohydrate 26.1, Fiber 1.4, Sugar 22.4, Protein 3
CHEF JOHN'S PAVLOVA WITH STRAWBERRIES
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl until they are foamy and have a thick, ribbony texture, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 of the sugar mixture into the egg whites; whisk until completely incorporated, about 30 seconds. Repeat for the rest of the sugar mixture, whisking after each addition, until all of the sugar mixture is incorporated and the egg whites are glossy and thick.
- Pour vanilla and vinegar into egg white mixture; whisk until you can lift your beater or whisk straight up and the egg whites form a sharp peak that holds its shape, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon egg white mixture onto prepared baking sheet; spread out into a 2-inch high by 6-inch wide disc.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Turn off the oven, crack open the oven door and let the Pavlova cool for one hour.
- Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl until soft peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer Pavlova to a serving plate. Top with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 210.3 calories, Carbohydrate 18.4 g, Cholesterol 54.3 mg, Fat 14.8 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 1.9 g, SaturatedFat 9.1 g, Sodium 29.4 mg, Sugar 16.1 g
More about "strawberry pavlova recipes"
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | GET CRACKING
Servings 8Total Time 1 hr 35 minsCategory Desserts & SweetsCalories 298 per serving
BEST STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE …
3/5 (1)Servings 6-8Cuisine American, Comfort FoodTotal Time 4 hrs 15 mins
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA ROULADE - RECIPE WINNERS
STRAWBERRY & MASCARPONE PAVLOVA RECIPE - SAVING ROOM FOR DESSERT
MINI STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA (DAIRY FREE OPTION) - COTTER CRUNCH
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE - COOK.ME RECIPES
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | DRISCOLL'S
MARY BERRY'S STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE - SUMMER DESSERT RECIPES!
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA | METRO
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE - LET THE BAKING BEGIN!
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | SUMMER BERRIES | JAMIE OLIVER
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA WITH CHOCOLATE CREAM - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE - BBC FOOD
EASY STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA - APPLY TO FACE BLOG
PIMMS AND STRAWBERRY PAVLOVAS RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA | BAKING MAD
GLUTEN-FREE STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | SIMPLY GLUTEN FREE
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA CAKE - SPATULA DESSERTS
EASY STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA - NEILS HEALTHY MEALS
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA - EASY, FANCY DESSERT WITH STEP-BY-STEP …
CLASSIC STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA - ANNA BANANA
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | EASY PAVLOVA RECIPE
SIMPLY DIVINE STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA - WWW.THESCRANLINE.COM
VERY STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA • COOK TIL DELICIOUS
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE EASY | YUMMY TREATS
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA - TASTEBOTANICAL - EASY, SHOW-STOPPING DESSERT
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
STRAWBERRY PASSIONFRUIT PAVLOVA RECIPE - SEW WHITE
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA - JAMES MARTIN CHEF
MINI STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA NESTS | EASY WEEKNIGHT RECIPES
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | SIMPLE FRUIT BY LAURIE PFALZER
STRAWBERRY AND VANILLA PAVLOVA | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
PAVLOVA WITH STRAWBERRIES - OH SWEET BASIL
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA - BELULA
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA | GET CRACKING
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVA RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
STRAWBERRY PAVLOVAS RECIPE FROM JESSICA SEINFELD
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #low-protein #desserts #eggs-dairy #fruit #dinner-party #romantic #eggs #dietary #low-sodium #low-in-something #berries #strawberries #taste-mood #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love