HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE
This simple and sweet pie comes from Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, Indiana. They add a cinnamon-sugar sprinkle to the top before baking for a special touch.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For filling: In a medium bowl, combine heavy cream, flour, brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Fit crust into a 9-inch pie pan and dot bottom with butter. Pour filling into crust. Combine cinnamon and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and sprinkle on top. Bake pie until set and center is firm to touch, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 478 calories
INDIANA SUGAR CREAM PIE
Also known as Hoosier pie, this regional specialty pairs a buttery crust with a rich vanilla custard filling. Martha made this recipe on "Martha Bakes" episode 713.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes one 9-inch pie
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Make the Pate Brisee: Pulse flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor (or whisk together by hand in a bowl). Add butter and pulse (or quickly cut in with a pastry blender or your fingertips) until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some larger pieces remaining. Drizzle 1/4 cup water over mixture. Pulse (or mix with a fork) until mixture just begins to hold together. If dough is too dry, add 1/4 cup more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse (or mix with a fork).
- Divide dough in half onto two pieces of plastic wrap. Gather into two balls, wrap loosely in plastic, and press each into a disk using a rolling pin. Refrigerate until firm, well wrapped in plastic, 1 hour or up to 1 day. Dough can be frozen up to 3 months; thaw in refrigerator before using.
- Make the pie: On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 disk pate brisee to a 13-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick. (Reserve remaining disk for another use.) Fit dough into a 9-inch pie dish and press into bottom edges and up the sides. Trim edge, leaving a 1-inch overhang; fold edge under and crimp as desired. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with the rack located in the lower third. Line crust with parchment paper, gently pressing the parchment into the edges of the crust; weigh down parchment with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake until the edges of the pastry begin to turn golden, about 25 minutes. Carefully remove pie weights and parchment paper. Continue to bake until crust is golden brown in color, about 15 minutes more. Transfer the crust to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and cook, whisking, over medium heat for 2 minutes (do not let flour darken). Whisk in milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Strain mixture into cooled crust and bake until filling is slightly set, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
SUGAR CREAM PIE
I absolutely love Indiana sugar cream pie; especially the one that my grandma made for me. Here, we serve it warm or chilled and call it "Hoosier" sugar cream pie. -Laura Kipper, Westfield, Indiana
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes., Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edge is light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°., Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to crust; sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack; refrigerate until chilled.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 418 calories, Fat 24g fat (15g saturated fat), Cholesterol 66mg cholesterol, Sodium 275mg sodium, Carbohydrate 47g carbohydrate (28g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
More about "sugar cream pie hoosier pie recipes"
SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE| OLD-FASHIONED HOOSIER PIE
4.9/5 (8)Servings 8Cuisine American, SouthernCategory Dessert, Pie
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE | EASY SUGAR CREAM PIE …
Reviews 5Category DessertCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 10 mins
- In a medium bowl add the sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk to combine. Slowly add the cream, whisking to incorporate and the vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Pour the sugar mixture into the prepared (unbaked) pie crust. Add 8-10 thin slices of unsalted butter on top of the sugar mixture. Bake the pie for one hour. Cool and serve at room temperature.
CLASSIC HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE | WHOLEFULLY
Reviews 6Calories 647 per servingCategory Desserts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. If using your own pie crust, place your pie crust on top of a 9” ungreased deep dish pie plate. Gently push it into the plate to contour along the sides. Leaving about 1/2″ all the way around, trim the extra crust, roll the 1/2″ under, and then flute or decorate the edge however you prefer.
- For either homemade or store-bought crust: line the unbaked crust with parchment paper, fill the crust with pie weights (dried beans work, too). Then bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven. Using the parchment paper, lift out the weights and set aside.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the filling by whisking together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the half and half. Place the saucepan over medium high heat, and cook, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until the mixture is thick and bubbly—about 10 minutes. You’re looking for the texture of a thick pudding.
SUGAR CREAM PIE: THE OFFICIAL HOOSIER STATE PIE
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE : RECIPES - COOKING CHANNEL
SUGAR CREAM PIE (THE HOOSIER PIE) - ONE HOT OVEN
HOOSIER PIE - RECIPE GIRL®
OLD FASHIONED SUGAR CREAM PIE - MY INCREDIBLE RECIPES
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - THE FARMWIFE COOKS
INDIANA FAMOUS HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY …
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE - SAVING ROOM FOR …
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
SUGAR CREAM PIE IS ALSO KNOWN AS... - INCREDIBLE RECIPES | FACEBOOK
SUGAR CREAM PIE (AKA HOOSIER PIE) - CREATIONS BY KARA
SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE HOOSIER - MARYVALE.CO.ZA
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
HOOSIER PIE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SIMPLE SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE - CRAZY FOR CRUST
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - PARADE.COM
HOOSIER MAMA'S SUGAR CREAM PIE - SERIOUS EATS
MAE DAWSON'S HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - PAULA DEEN
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - THAT SKINNY CHICK CAN BAKE
MAE DAWSON’S HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - THIBEAULT'S TABLE
CLASSIC HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - SHUGARY SWEETS
HOOSIER MAMA SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE - Y-ARRIVAREM-ARIEGE.ORG
BEST SUGAR CREAM “HOOSIER” PIE RECIPE - COUNTRY LIVING
MARTHA STEWART’S HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE | MARTHA BAKES RECIPES
AMERICAN CLASSICS: HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - SERIOUS EATS
DUTCH SUGAR CREAM PIE (HOOSIER PIE) - COSMOPOLITAN CORNBREAD
RECIPE: SUGAR-CREAM 'HOOSIER' PIE : NPR
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE | PIES & PASTRIES | HANNAFORD
INDIANA HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE AND KREMPITA | ALL THAT'S JAS
SUGAR CREAM PIE TART- HOOSIER CREAM PIE - BASILMOMMA
THE HIRSHON HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - THE FOOD DICTATOR
INDIANA FAMOUS HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - INDIANA GROWN
HOOSIE SUGAR CREAM PIE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE …
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - SOUTH SHORE KITCHEN
INDIANA'S HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE IS SIMPLE AND CLASSIC
HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE RECIPE - PINTEREST
INDIANA SUGAR CREAM PIE (HOOSIER PIE) - THE SHORT ORDER COOK
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What does Hoosier sugar cream pie taste like?Classic Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie tastes like Creme Brulee with a pie shell! With a sweet custard filling and flaky crust, this unique midwestern dessert is a must try. Here in the Midwest, we love our pies.
How do you make sugar cream pie in Indiana?Sugar Cream Pie is a simple custard pie that is commonly served at family gatherings in Indiana, but it is delicious enough to be a success anywhere! Preheat oven to 375°F. If using your own pie crust, place your pie crust on top of a 9” ungreased deep dish pie plate. Gently push it into the plate to contour along the sides.
What is a sugar cream pie?An old-fashioned sugar cream pie made with simple ingredients. Creamy filling, buttery pie crust and crackling sugar cinnamon topping. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
How do you make old fashioned sugar cream pie?An old-fashioned sugar cream pie made with simple ingredients. Creamy filling, buttery pie crust and crackling sugar cinnamon topping. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter and shortening until mixture resembles large crumbs. Stir in the water until a dough forms.