An old fashioned recipe that is different from most pickles. Cucumbers and onions are pickled in a mustard sauce made with turmeric and celery seed.
Provided by BJ MOORE
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Place the sliced cucumbers and onions into a large bowl and sprinkle the salt over the top. Fill the bowl with enough water to cover the cucumbers. Let stand for 8 to 10 hours.
- Drain and rinse the cucumbers and onion with fresh water. Sterilize 4 (1 quart) jars and lids.
- In a 6 quart pot, stir together the sugar and flour. Whisk in the vinegar, turmeric, mustard powder and celery seed to make a smooth paste. Add the cucumbers and onions and fill with enough water to cover. Stir, and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars filling to within 1/2 inch of the top. Seal with lids and rings. Process for 10 minutes in a simmering water bath. Refrigerate any jars that fail to seal properly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 138.3 calories, Carbohydrate 33.9 g, Fat 0.5 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 1.5 g, SaturatedFat 0.1 g, Sodium 879.9 mg, Sugar 28.6 g
BEST EVER SWEET PICKLES
I pack away homegrown cucumbers every summer. This recipe is based on the pickled veggies in Brown Eggs and Jam Jars by Aimee Wimbush-Bourque, but I've made it less mustardy and more garlicky to fit my family's tastes. This method keeps them incredibly, refreshingly crunchy. -Ellie Martin Cliffe, Taste of Home Digital Deputy Editor
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 pints.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large nonreactive bowl, combine cucumbers, onion and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly., In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, water, vinegars, mustard seed, celery seed and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until heated through., Carefully ladle hot mixture into 4 hot wide-mouth 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Add 3 garlic cloves and 1 bay leaf to each jar. Remove air bubbles and, if necessary, adjust headspace by adding hot pickling liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight. , Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 35 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 175mg sodium, Carbohydrate 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 0 protein.
DELICIOUS GOLDEN MUSTARD PICKLES
These are the best mustard pickles that you will ever have...if you love mustard pickles, and have some time, these are well-worth the time and effort to prepare, once you make these a few times, you will probably do them with your eyes closed!...a definate must-make! Note: plan ahead, the blanched veggies have to sit for 12 hours.
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Categories Low Protein
Yield 20 cups
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Trim the core off of cauliflower; cut into bite-size florets to make 8 cups.
- Place in a large stockpot, along with cucumbers, onions, red and green peppers.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pickling salt; cover with cold water.
- Set aside in cool spot (do not refrigerate) for 12 hours.
- Return the pot to element; bring veggie mixture just to a boil, over med-high heat; drain in large colander, discarding brine.
- Set the veggies aside.
- Rinse the pot.
- Add 4 cups of vinegar; bring to boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together, sugar, flour, mustard and tumeric powder; whisk in 1 cup water, and remaining vinegar to make a smooth paste.
- Whisk into hot vinegar, and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened (amout 3 minutes).
- Add the veggies, stir to coat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring gently.
- Ladle into 2-cup hot canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Cover with warm discs; screw on bands fingertip tight.
- Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
- Remove, and let cool on rack.
MUM'S YELLOW BEAN MUSTARD PICKLES
I love these yellow bean pickles that were my Mum's recipe :) They are tart and tasty, and hope you'll enjoy them! They are wonderful with baked ham.
Provided by Sue Fitzpatrick
Categories Other Side Dishes
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1. Boil beans in salted water until tender, strain, put back into pot and set off to side.
- 2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a saucepan. Add vinegar and stir well to remove any lumps. Heat and boil until thickened reduce heat to low.
- 3. Put pot with beans on burner and add the mixture to the beans. Just heat through thoroughly (about 5 mins - don't let boil).
- 4. Put into sterilized jars and seal.
SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES
GREAT ON COLD MEATS : This is a mixture of Vegetable preparation from one recipe and the Mustard Sauce from another .. A family favorite All Year Around .. Make in quantity when cauliflowers are cheap... because your friends will be wanting a jar or two from each batch .. Shirley used to make these Pickles at least 3 or 4 times a year and her grandchildren were often caught eating it out of the bottle .. Shirley would chastise them with "Get out of there ..Don't eat it all .. I won't have any left" .. but they knew that she had 5 or 6 jars in the cupboard above the fridge ! *IF YOU CAN'T GET GREEN TOMATOES.. REPLACE WITH 1 MORE CUCUMBER AND ONE MORE CAULIFLOWER*
Provided by GREG.H
Yield 10-12 500gm JARS
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Cut the Cucumbers lengthways and discard the seeds: scrape out with a spoon.
- Dice Onions,Green Tomatoes,Cauliflower and Cucumbers.
- Place into Boiler, Cover with Brine and let stand overnight.
- Next day: Place Boiler on the Stove and bring to the boil then drain into a Colander.
- Return the Boiler to the Stove with sauce mix and Boil until it thickens Stir constantly on a Low heat. Otherwise the sauce will stick.
- Add vegetables bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place in Clean Jars and allow to cool.
- Cover with Lid and Store in Cupboard.
- Keeps for 12 months . but it won't last that long !
SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES
- Combine the water and salt in a large pot. Add the cauliflower, onion, and cucumber to the pot and allow to soak overnight.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; simmer until the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the vinegar, flour, sugar, mustard powder, curry powder, and turmeric to the vegetables and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into sterilized jars; seal. Process in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 84.7 calories, Carbohydrate 19.4 g, Fat 0.2 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 1.1 g, Sodium 8.8 mg, Sugar 14.9 g
People also searched
More about "sweet mustard pickles recipes"
HOW TO MAKE MUSTARD PICKLES - GREAT-GRANDMA'S RECIPE ...
4.3/5 (21)Servings 4Cuisine AmericaCategory Condiment
- Mix 1 cup of pickling/canning salt with 8 cups of cold water (double this as needed if doing a larger batch of pickles). Pour over top of cucumbers and onions, add more cold water if necessary to cover the tops of the cucumbers. Use a clean plate and place on top of the cucumbers to keep them under the surface of the ice salt water.
- Fill a pint sized Mason jar with water (use a lid) and set it on top of the plate to act as a weight. Let soak for 1 to 2 hours on the counter or put the bowl in the fridge overnight or for 12 hours.
- After soaking cucumbers and onions, pour out salt water and rinse thoroughly with cold water and allow cucumbers to drain.
THE BEST SWEET PICKLE RECIPE - QUICK, EASY AND DELICIOUS
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- In a medium saucepan mix the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour hot liquid over the cucumbers and onions. Let cool or process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes (adjusting for altitude as necessary).
"IN A PICKLE" - MUSTARD PICKLE-MAKING, MY ISLAND BISTRO ...
Cuisine CanadianEstimated Reading Time 10 minsCategory Condiment
- Make a brine of pickling salt and water using 1/2 cup coarse pickling salt to 4 cups of water. (I use apx. 6 cups water and 3/4 cup pickling salt for this recipe. The salt will dissolve better if it is mixed with 2 cups of boiling water and stirred. Then, when dissolved, add remaining 4 cups of cold water to cool the mixture down.) Enough brine is needed to completely cover the vegetables so, depending on the size of bowl the vegetables are soaking in, additional brine may need to be mixed up so have some extra pickling salt available for this purpose. Ensure the brine is completely cooled before pouring over the vegetables.
- Wash and peel the cucumbers. Slice each in half, lengthwise. Slice in half again. Remove and discard the seeds and inner membrane of the cucumbers. Cut cucumbers to desired size, apx. 1/2″ – 3/4″ pieces.
THE BEST SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES - SALTWATER DAUGHTERS
5/5 (2)Category Side DishServings 6
- Combine cucumbers and onion with salt in a large mixing bowl. Cover completely with cold water and soak for 4-5 hours or overnight. Rinse and drain twice to remove the salt.
- Meanwhile, mix the spices, sugar, and cornstarch together in a bowl. Add the cold water and stir to form a "slurry".
- Heat the vinegar in a large stockpot until almost boiling. Add the slurry slowly, while stirring, then bring to a boil and simmer, stirring until thickened.
SWEET CUCUMBER MUSTARD PICKLE - HEALTHY CANNING
5/5 (4)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory PicklesCalories 11 per serving
- Wash cucumbers. Peel, slice in half length-wise. Drag the tip of a spoon down the middle of each to scrape out the seeds. Discard the seeds.
- Cut each half length-wise into quarters, then slice each long baton of cucumber into narrow slices.
SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES - SOBEYS INC.
3/5 (12)Total Time 3 hrsEstimated Reading Time 1 minCalories 30 per serving
- Place cucumbers, cauliflower and onion in large colander with bowl underneath. Pour salt over vegetables and toss to coat. Let stand 30 min., until vegetables are slightly tender and juices have been released. Discard juices. Rinse vegetables well. Pat dry with paper towel. Set aside.
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, dry mustard, curry powder, turmeric and 2 tbsp (30 mL) cold water in small bowl. Set aside.
- Place vinegar and ½ cup (125 mL) water in large non-reactive saucepan (such as stainless steel). Add vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Simmer, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 min., or until mixture slightly thickens.
- Spoon into canning jars. Apply lids and screw on bands loosely. Cool to room temperature, approx. 2 hr. Screw bands tightly. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES | AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S WEEKLY FOOD
Cuisine Modern AustralianCategory SideServings 9Total Time 45 mins
- Combine salt and the boiling water in large non-metallic bowl; stir until salt dissolves. Add the cold water. Add vegetables; mix well. Cover with a large plate or a sealed plastic bag half-filled with water to keep vegetables submerged; stand overnight.
- Combine vegetables, vinegar, sugar and spices in large saucepan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Blend cornflour with the water in small jug until smooth, add to pan; cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens.
HOMEMADE GERMAN MUSTARD PICKLES (SENFGURKEN) RECIPE
Calories 275Total Fat 1g 1%Saturated Fat 0g 1%Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES | RECIPE | MUSTARD PICKLES, RELISH ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins See details »
10 BEST SWEET MUSTARD CAULIFLOWER PICKLES RECIPES | …
See details »
EASY MUSTARD PICKLE RECIPE...TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT ...
See details »
MUSTARD PICKLES - AUSSIE TRUE BLUE RECIPES
See details »
SWEET MUSTARD PICKLE | RECIPE | SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES ...
See details »
SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES - CELEBRATION GENERATION
5/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory Condiment, SnackCalories 484 per serving
- Wash all vegetables. Cut cauliflower into bite sized florets, peel the cocktail onions, and slice cucumbers into 3/4-1" thick slices. If you have a wavy slicer, feel free to use that for authenticity!
- Fill your LARGE pot with at least 6" of water, put on medium or high heat to bring it to a boil as you prepare your brine.
- In another pot (NOT the canning pot!), combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, mustard powder, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring well to dissolve the salt.
- As brine is coming to a boil, cut two large squares from the cheesecloth, stack on top of each other. Measure the pickling spice into the center of the cheesecloth, draw edges of cloth in to enclose the spices, tie into a tight little package with the twine.
SWEET MIXED PICKLES - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
4/5 (1) See details »
GERMAN MUSTARD PICKLES – SENFGURKEN - ALL TASTES GERMAN
5/5 (1)Category Basic RecipesCuisine GermanTotal Time 25 mins See details »
EASY SWEET PICKLE RECIPE | MCCORMICK
Cuisine Deep SouthCategory CondimentsServings 2.5 See details »
10 BEST SWEET MUSTARD CAULIFLOWER PICKLES RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »
12 SWEET MUSTARD PICKLES RECIPE IDEAS IN 2021 | MUSTARD ...
See details »
DELICIOUS MUSTARD PICKLES - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
See details »
You'll also love