SWISS STEAK FOR TWO
Even though I'm a widow, I still cook for two since I frequently have a friend or grandchild join me for lunch or dinner. This is a hearty main dish that gets great flavor and color from tomatoes, green pepper and onion.-Mildred Stubbs, Rockingham, North Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cut steak into two pieces; place in bag and shake to coat. , In a skillet over medium heat, brown steak in oil. Add tomatoes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add green pepper, onion and remaining salt. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 379 calories, Fat 12g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 96mg cholesterol, Sodium 1141mg sodium, Carbohydrate 25g carbohydrate (12g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 42g protein.
OLD-FASHIONED SWISS STEAK
- In a large plastic bag, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and garlic salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove meat from bag and pound with a mallet to tenderize. , In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil until no longer pink. Add the green pepper, celery and onions; cook and stir for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, soy sauce and remaining salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours. , Remove from the oven and return to stovetop. In a small bowl, combine water and remaining flour until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir sauce for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 257 calories, Fat 9g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 64mg cholesterol, Sodium 1033mg sodium, Carbohydrate 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 28g protein.
MY MOTHER'S SWISS STEAK
- Stir flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper together in a bowl. Sprinkle pieces of steak with flour mixture and pound the flour mixture into the meat with a meat mallet or the edge of a sturdy plate.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook the floured beef in the hot oil until browned on both sides, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low, pour in water, cover skillet, and simmer beef until tender, about 1 hour. Add more water to the skillet if needed to prevent burning.
- Mix diced tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a bowl. Pour tomato mixture over beef, bring to a simmer, and cook until sauce has thickened, about 30 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 262.4 calories, Carbohydrate 7.2 g, Cholesterol 76.1 mg, Fat 12.2 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 28.6 g, SaturatedFat 3.6 g, Sodium 548.6 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
EASY AND QUICK SWISS STEAK
This was my favorite growing up. I was amazed when I was older and asked my mom for the recipe how EASY it is! A small amount of prep. time, a day in the slow cooker, and you'll be amazed! It sounds too simple to be good... TRUST me! This gets RAVE reviews when we make it! The amount of vegetables is only an estimate. Use as many or as few as you choose. When it's done, you will have a yummy gravy, and will have to carefully dig for the steak pieces.
Provided by azdadof5
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper, and paprika. Dredge the steaks in the flour mixture, and place in the skillet. Brown steaks on both sides, and remove from heat.
- In a slow cooker, alternate layers of steak, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes.
- Cover, and cook 6 to 8 hours on Low, until steaks are very tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 349.3 calories, Carbohydrate 48.6 g, Cholesterol 27.2 mg, Fat 8.7 g, Fiber 7.3 g, Protein 21.6 g, SaturatedFat 2.5 g, Sodium 304.6 mg, Sugar 5.3 g
This is a great way to use inexpensive cuts of meat. The sauce is savory and tastes great over mashed potatoes, noodles, rice or even toasted bread.
Provided by Laurie Lenartowicz
Categories Main Dishes
Number Of Ingredients 11
- 1. Cut cubed steaks into large serving pieces. Mix together salt, pepper and garlic powder. Season steaks on both sides.
- 2. Dredge steaks through the flour. Shake off excess flour. Heat 1/3 cup cooking oil in large skillet.
- 3. Brown steak pieces on both sides in the oil. Remove to a clean platter. Turn heat to medium in the same skillet.
- 4. To the warm skillet, add minced garlic, onions and can of diced tomatoes. Mash the tomatoes, slighty, with a fork. Add the onion soup mix and water. Stir to combine. Add browned steak pieces along with any juices back to the skillet. Stir to coat the meat with tomato mixture. Cover and lower heat to low.
- 5. Simmer the steaks on low for 1 and 1/2 hours stirring frequently.
- 6. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or noodles.
SWISS STEAK WITH PEPPERS AND TOMATOES
- 1. Place the meat between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap, leaving ample room all around. With the flat side of a meat bat or the bottom of a heavy skillet, pound each piece of meat to an even thickness of about 3/4 inch. If you're using a meat bat, use the textured side to pound each piece on both sides, leaving light indentations. Transfer the meat to a plate and sprinkle with salt and black pepper on both sides. 2. On a plate, mix together flour and paprika. Dip each piece of meat into the flour mixture, lightly coating both sides. 3. In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add the onions, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until softened. Transfer the onions to a bowl. 4. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to the pan. When it is hot, add the bell peppers. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until softened. Add the peppers to the onions. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the pepper mixture for the subs. Wipe out the pan. 5. In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium high heat. When it is hot, add the butter. When it melts, add 4 pieces of the meat. Cook 4 minutes on a side, or until well browned. Transfer to a plate, and cook the remaining pieces in the same way. Remove all the meat from the pan. 6. Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook, stirring, to release the sediment. Add the water and return the meat and pepper mixture to the pan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 30 minutes. 7. Remove the lid and continue simmering for 15 minutes. (Total cooking time is 45 minutes.) Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Reserve 4 pieces of meat for the steak and cheese subs. 8. Serve the steak garnished with the pepper mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.
People also searched
More about "swiss steak with peppers and tomatoes recipes"
SWISS STEAK - BRAISED CUBE STEAK IN STEWED TOMATOES
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a shallow bowl. Dredge the steak in the flour mixture until coated all over.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the steak and cook about 4 minutes per side. The flour should brown and create a crust around the steak. If there are more pieces of steak than will fit in the skillet, cook them in multiple batches. After the steak has cook about 4 minutes per side, remove them from the skillet and let them rest on a plate.
- The skillet will have a buildup of browned flour and other seasonings. This has incredible flavour that should not be wasted. Add 1/2 cup of water and stir to pull the bits off the skillet.
SWISS STEAK WITH ROUND STEAK AND STEWED TOMATOES RECIPE
Calories 321Saturated Fat 3g 17%Cholesterol 101mg 34%Total Fat 10g 13% See details »
SWISS STEAK WITH PEPPERS RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
5/5 (1)Total Time 2 hrs See details »
OLD-FASHIONED SWISS STEAK RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
See details »
10 BEST CROCK POT SWISS STEAK WITH TOMATOES RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »
10 BEST SLOW COOKER SWISS STEAK TOMATOES RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »
TRADITIONAL STYLE SWISS STEAK RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (14)Category MeatServings 4-6Total Time 2 hrs 30 mins See details »
DELICIOUS FAMILY SWISS STEAK RECIPE | HOME CHEF WORLD
Servings 6Estimated Reading Time 9 minsCategory DinnerTotal Time 2 hrs 50 mins
- Season the pieces of steak all over with some salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour and pound the flour into the steak using the side of a bread and butter plate. Keep doing this on both sides of the pieces of steak until no more flour can be absorbed. This is what makes the meat meltingly tender.
- Melt the butter and canola oil together in a large deep skillet. Brown the pounded and floured pieces of steak in the hot fat on both sides, working in batches until all of the meat is browned, and removing to a plate as it is done.
- Add the onions to the pan drippings and sauté until they are beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds then pour in the tomatoes, along with their juices, and the Worcestershire sauce. I like to break the tomatoes up roughly with my hands.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and hot sauce if desired. Return the steak to the pan, submerging it in the tomato sauce.
SLOW COOKER SWISS STEAK - THE MAGICAL SLOW COOKER
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Dredge each steak in this mixture on both sides, transfer to another plate. Save any excess flour mixture, you will add this to the slow cooker with the meat later.
- Set a large skillet to medium high heat. Add enough oil to coat the pan. Brown the steaks on both sides, no need to cook through. You may have to cook the meat in two batches if your pan is too small, add more oil inbewteen batches. Add the browned steaks to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over any excess flour from the plate.
- Deglaze the pan that you browned the meat in with by adding the beef consomme and scrapping up any brown bits. Add to the slow cooker on top of the beef.
SWISS STEAK - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron Dutch oven. Add onion and green pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove onion and green pepper to a bowl and set aside.
- Season both sides of cube steak with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. You want a thick coating of flour because it will help thicken the sauce.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to Dutch oven. Working in 2 batches, cook cube steak until browned on both sides (it will not be cooked through).
- Leave the second batch of cube steak in the Dutch oven and return the first batch plus the onion and green peppers to the Dutch oven.
SMOTHERED SWISS STEAK - MY HOMEMADE ROOTS
4.6/5 (11)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsServings 6
- Preheat oven to 325° F. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Add steak, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- On the stovetop, heat oil in a cast-iron Dutch oven (or other heavy, oven-safe pot) over medium-high heat. Brown steak in oil on both sides. Remove steaks to a plate.
- To the same pot, add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Turn the heat down to medium, and cook and stir for 6-7 minutes, or until vegetables are beginning to soften. If needed, add a little extra oil. Add garlic and tomato paste, and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, sugar, and celery seed. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a spatula to release all of the flavorful bits. Return steaks to the pot, making sure they are covered by the gravy.
HOMESTYLE SWISS STEAK | FEAST AND FARM
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Cut your steak into 4-inch wide strips. Mix the garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the meat.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high and add the oil. Heat until just shimmering and add the meat in a single layer. It should sizzle immediately. Cook on one side until golden brown--about 4 minutes, then turn and cook 4 minutes or so on the other side.
- Turn off the skillet and transfer the meat to your slow cooker. If you used your dutch oven to sear the meat, just add the ingredients in with the meat.
EASY INSTANT POT SWISS STEAK - AN OLD-FASHIONED FAVORITE ...
- Place the flour in a shallow dish and dredge the pieces of beef in the flour, turning to coat all sides. Tap to shake off excess.
- Place the pieces of beef into the hot oil, allowing the beef to brown, about 2 minutes. Turn the beef and brown the other side for a couple of minutes.
CROCKPOT SWISS STEAK - SLOW COOKER SWISS STEAK RECIPE
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium high heat. Cook the steaks on each sides until slightly brown (approximately 3-5 minutes on each side). Transfer the steaks to the crock pot.
- Put the remaining ingredients in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the steak is tender.
EASY SWISS STEAK - SPEND WITH PENNIES
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven. Brown steaks on each side (adding additional olive oil if needed). Set aside.
SWISS STEAK – CAN'T STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN
Cuisine SwissCategory Beef Main DishServings 6 See details »
SWISS STEAK ONIONS TOMATOES - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
See details »
SWISS STEAK SALSA RECIPES
See details »
SWISS STEAK RECIPE WITH TOMATOES FOR DINNER | SHE KITCHEN
See details »
TENDER SWISS STEAK RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
See details »
RECIPE: SWISS STEAK (WITH PEPPERS, ONION, AND TOMATOES ...
See details »
RECIPE FOR SWISS STEAK WITH PEPPERS AND TOMATOES - THE ...
See details »
SWISS PEPPER STEAK - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
See details »
You'll also love