TANGERINE CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO
When I wanted a new frozen treat for my family, I came up with this citrusy, chocolaty version of classic Italian semifreddo. For an elegant presentation on special occasions, top each serving with whipped cream, a tangerine section and baking cocoa. -Claire Cruce, Atlanta, Georgia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In top of a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, tangerine zest, juice and salt. Beat on medium speed until mixture is thick, frothy and holds a ribbon and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from heat; whisk in melted chocolate and vanilla. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and refrigerate 15 minutes or until completely cool, stirring occasionally., In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled chocolate mixture. Pour into six freezer-safe dessert glasses or dishes. Freeze until firm, 4 hours or overnight., Just before serving, top with sweetened whipped cream and dust with cocoa. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 376 calories, Fat 25g fat (14g saturated fat), Cholesterol 327mg cholesterol, Sodium 76mg sodium, Carbohydrate 36g carbohydrate (33g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
TANGERINE SEMIFREDDO WITH SALTED ALMOND BRITTLE
- For brittle:
- Coat large rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon butter. Combine sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in heavy large saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Attach candy thermometer to side of pan. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Boil without stirring until mixture turns amber and thermometer registers 330°F to 340°F, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; immediately stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter, then almonds and baking soda (mixture will bubble). Working quickly, pour mixture out onto prepared baking sheet. Using offset metal spatula, quickly spread mixture into irregular 15x10-inch rectangle. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sea salt evenly over brittle. Cool brittle completely at room temperature until firm, about 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Break brittle into irregular pieces and store in airtight container.
- Coarsely chop enough brittle to measure 1 1/2 cups; store in airtight container while making semifreddo mixture.
- For semifreddo:
- Line 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan with 2 layers of plastic wrap, leaving generous overhang on all sides. Fill large bowl with ice cubes and water. Whisk egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, tangerine juice, and tangerine peel in medium metal bowl. Set bowl with yolk mixture over saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture thickens and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 160&Deg;F, about 3 minutes. Remove bowl from over hot water and set over bowl with ice water. Using electric mixer, beat mixture until thick and cool, about 3 minutes. Remove bowl from over ice water.
- Beat cream in another large bowl until peaks form; set aside. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold 1/3 of egg whites into yolk mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining whites in 2 additions. Fold in whipped cream in 2 additions until just incorporated.
- Spread 1/3 of semifreddo mixture (about 3 cups) evenly in loaf pan. Sprinkle 3/4 cup chopped brittle evenly over. Repeat layering with half of remaining semifreddo mixture; sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup brittle over, then spread remaining semifreddo mixture over (loaf pan will be very full and mixture will extend slightly over top of pan). Fold plastic wrap overhang over semifreddo to cover. Freeze overnight. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep frozen.
- For sauce:
- Bring tangerine juice and honey to boil in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Boil until mixture is syrupy and reduced to generous 1/3 cup, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl; cool completely. Stir in tangerine segments. DO AHEAD: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
- Invert semifreddo onto platter. Remove plastic wrap. Dip large knife into hot water, wipe dry, then cut semifreddo crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices, dipping knife into water and wiping dry as needed. Place 1 slice on each plate. Spoon tangerine sauce alongside semifreddo and serve.
- Ingredient tip:
- Maldon sea salt has soft, pyramid-shaped crystals and a mild flavor. It's available at some specialty foods stores and from igourmet.com.
TANGERINE SEMIFREDDO (FROZEN TANGERINE SOUFFLE)
I made this for Christmas, and it was a refreshing, delicate dessert after a heavy meal of rib roast and mashed potatoes. It tasted a bit like a Creamsicle! I'll post it in the amounts I made it in, but I'd probably add more citrus zest next time. Also, we preferred this dessert when it had thawed a bit and the texture was smooth (and there were few ice crystals in it). ***Cook time includes 4 hours of freezer time.
Provided by TigerJo
Categories Frozen Desserts
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- To form a collar, cut a sheet of waxed paper, aluminum foil or parchment that's long enough to fit around a 1qt souffle dish. Fold it in quarters lengthwise to make a ribbon about 3" wide. Wrap the collar around the top of the souffle, and tape the ends together. The collar should extend about 2" above the rim of the dish; secure with tape and/or a rubber band, and place in the freezer to chill.
- Zest the tangerines with a fine grater/microplane to make about 1t zest (or more to taste) and juice the tangerines, until you have 1/2c of juice. In a small saucepan, combine the zest and juice, and warm over low heat. Add gelatin and stir until it dissolves, then add vanilla extract. Place the saucepan in a bowl of cold water until the mixture thickens into a jelly (or place in a bowl of ice water if your kitchen is warm, or if you live in a hot climate). Set aside.
- Bring a small stockpot of water to a simmer. Mix egg yolks & sugar in a medium metal or glass mixing bowl, and place over the simmering water (being careful not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Immediately start whisking the egg yolks and continue until they are pale, and have approximately doubled in volume. You'll know the sugar has melted when you rub a little of the mixture between your fingers, and you don't feel any grit from the sugar.
- When the yolks have doubled in volume, whisk in the thickened, cooled tangerine juice, and continue whisking and scraping until the entire mixture has cooled further (a few minutes). It should be thick and sticky. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks; set aside (I stowed them in the fridge). In a large bowl, beat heavy cream to soft peaks; set aside. Spoon half of the egg whites into the cooled egg yolk mixture, and stir until its color becomes lighter. Add remaining egg whites to the large bowl of whipped cream, and add the tangerine mixture on top. Gently fold them all together to make a uniform mixture.
- Gently spoon the mixture into the chilled souffle dish. It should come about halfway up the paper collar, but if not, it will still taste and look good (my dish was slightly bigger, and it turned out great). Freeze until firm, about 4hrs. If you freeze it overnight, transfer it to the fridge for at least 1hr so it can soften before serving. However, ours froze for six hours, and 20 minutes in the fridge wasn't enough for it to thaw as much as we would have liked (so use your best judgement).
- When ready to serve, if desired, sprinkle with pistachios, and carefully remove the collar. Cut into sectons with a very sharp knife, and carefully remove with a small offset spatula.
- If you make this in advance and it will be in the freezer for more than 4hrs, once it freezes, cover it with plastic wrap and gently press the wrap against the surface of the dish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 288.7, Fat 19.7, SaturatedFat 11.4, Cholesterol 202.8, Sodium 59.2, Carbohydrate 23.3, Fiber 0.6, Sugar 20.7, Protein 6
Who could resist a chocolate orange in fruity form? These easy segments make the ideal lunchtime snack for kids and adults!
Provided by Chelsie Collins
Number Of Ingredients 2
- Dip half of each tangerine segment in the melted chocolate, then put on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Keep in the fridge for 1 hr to set completely, or overnight if you prefer.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 99 calories, Fat 4 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 13 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 12 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 1 grams protein
More about "tangerine chocolate semifreddo recipes"
DARK CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
TANGERINE SEMIFREDDO WITH SALTED ALMOND BRITTLE RECIPE
MANDARIN SEMIFREDDO WITH BITTER CHOCOLATE RECIPE
CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO RECIPE WITH CHERRY SAUCE - POSH …
CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO RECIPE - INSIDE THE RUSTIC KITCHEN
TANGERINE CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO | RECIPE | SEMIFREDDO, …
CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO RECIPE - GREAT ITALIAN CHEFS
CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO | AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN
TANGERINE CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Cuisine Europe, ItalianCategory DessertsServings 6Total Time 35 mins
CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO WITH RASPBERRY COULIS – TRAVEL GOURMET
| FOOD AND TRAVEL MAGAZINE
| FOOD AND TRAVEL MAGAZINE
CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO | COOK'S ILLUSTRATED
TANGERINE SEMIFREDDO WITH ALMOND BRITTLE RECIPE
CHOCOLATE AND TANGERINE SEMIFREDDO (SEMIGREDDO DI CIOCCOLATO E ...
CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO | TASTE
ASTRAY RECIPES: ASTI SPUMANTE SEMIFREDDO
ITALIAN SEMIFREDDO RECIPE - 713BANKRUPTCY.COM'S BLOG
TANGERINE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
TANGERINE MARMALADE A ITALIAN ORGANIC MANDARIN JAM RECIPE …
TANGERINE SEMIFREDDO WITH SALTED ALMOND BRITTLE RECIPE | BON …
TANGERINE-CHOCOLATE TART RECIPE | EATINGWELL
TANGERINE SORBET IN CHOCOLATE SHELLS RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
TANGERINE CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO | RECIPE | DESSERTS, SEMIFREDDO, …
TANGERINE VODKA RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO - FAMILYSTYLE FOOD
8 NEW DESSERT IDEAS | DESSERTS, PLATED DESSERTS, FOOD
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE TANGERINE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
COOK'S ILLUSTRATED CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO RECIPE
SEMIFREDDO RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - MSN
TANGERINE SEMIFREDDO (FROZEN TANGERINE SOUFFLE) - MEDITERRANEAN …
CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY SEMIFREDDO SANDWICH
TANGERINE CHOCOLATE SEMIFREDDO RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT | TASTE OF …
WHOLE WHEAT PITA BREAD
CHOCOLATE-COVERED CANDIED TANGERINES RECIPE - TEALEAVES
Tangerine cake: moist, soft and fragrant!2.1K views-03:54
Soft tangerine cake: fragrant and delicious!805 views-03:58
Chocolate Semifreddo | Jamie Oliver138K views-03:01
How To Make Chocolate Semifreddo with Raspberry Sauce by Buddy Valastro1.8K views-03:09
Chocolate Semifreddo Recipe | Masala Mornings | Masala TV | Shireen Anwar | Dessert13K views-55:29
How to Make Elegant Chocolate Semifreddo71K views-12:39
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a chocolate semifreddo?How we use your email ? For a chocolate semifreddo that's rich and creamy but isn't overly complicated, we started by preparing a custard-style base of whole eggs, sugar, cream, and water directly on the stovetop (rather than over a fussy water bath). We convenien...
What can I do with tangerines dipped in chocolate?Enjoy tangerines dipped in chocolate for an easy lunchbox snack, in desserts or savoury meat glazes and salads. A star rating of 5 out of 5. Who says meringue is only for summer? Add rich dark chocolate and pair with walnuts, madeira-spiked cream and tangerine for a wonderful winter dessert A star rating of 3.7 out of 5.
What does chocolate semifreddo taste like?The chocolate semifreddo turned out so yummy! it is very chocolatey and rich. You don’t need a large piece to feel satisfied. The cherries are just a little tart and the almonds add such a nice crunch. I’m seriously in love with this dessert. Now I want to make every kind of semifreddo!
How do you make semifreddo sauce?(Semifreddo can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 2 weeks.) Combine cherries and sugar in bowl and microwave for 1½ minutes. Stir, then continue to microwave until sugar is mostly dissolved, about 1 minute longer. Combine kirsch and cornstarch in small bowl. Drain cherries in a mesh strainer set over small saucepan.