This recipe has been in our family for years. We like turnips with turkey, so my mother used to serve this side dish with our turkey dinner at Christmas. Then I served this dish, and now my daughter, who has taken over preparing Christmas dinner, is carrying on the tradition.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place turnips in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain. , In a small bowl, combine turnips, 2 tablespoons butter and eggs. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add to turnip mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. , Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 125 calories, Fat 7g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 68mg cholesterol, Sodium 510mg sodium, Carbohydrate 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
CHINESE NEW YEAR TURNIP CAKE
This recipe is handed down from my mom's mom. This is NOT a dessert (not sweet), but more like a 'quick bread' for the Chinese. This 'cake' is usually made and eaten during the Chinese New Year or its slices are usually found all year round among the DIM-SUMs in the Chinese restaurants. You can chill it in the fridge, but it should always be eaten HOT after re-heating either in the microwave, or frying in a few tablespoons of oil. This cake can be kept for 1 week in the fridge (but usually it's finished within a day!!)
Provided by Carol, Chung Chi Wa
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms, shrimp and sausages and saute for 1/2 minute. Remove from skillet and set aside. Heat 1 more tablespoon oil in wok/skillet. Add ginger and saute a bit. Add shredded turnips and stir fry for about 3 minutes (do NOT remove turnip water). Add 5-spice powder, salt, chicken bouillon and white pepper and toss all together until evenly distributed. Extract ginger slices from mixture.
- Turn off heat. Top turnip mixture with rice flour and use chopsticks to toss and mix flour in evenly. Add reserved sausage mixture and toss to mix in. Remove mixture from wok/skillet and place into a 9x2 inch deep round cake pan.
- Clean wok/skillet, fill with water and bring to a boil. Place cake pan on a round wire rack over boiling water. Reduce heat to low and let simmer, steaming cake 'batter', for 45 minutes. (Note: you can also use a large bamboo steamer if you have one). When 'cake' is steamed through, slice into pieces and serve hot OR cool on wire rack before covering tightly with plastic wrap and placing in refrigerator to chill.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 629.3 calories, Carbohydrate 74.7 g, Cholesterol 62.2 mg, Fat 29.9 g, Fiber 29.2 g, Protein 19.1 g, SaturatedFat 8.9 g, Sodium 1504 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
More about "turnipcake recipes"
TURNIP CAKE-RADISH CAKE | CHINA SICHUAN FOOD
5/5 (3)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory Dim Sum, Side DishCalories 154 per serving
- In a small bowl, soak the dried shrimp until softened. Set aside, drain well and cut both shrimp and shiitake mushroom into really small cubes.
- Peel all the skin of radish and then use a shredder to finely shred the radish. If you do not want to taste any radish texture in the final cake, shred the radish as small as possible.
- Transfer shredded radish in a large pot or bowl, spread salt on the surface and rub with hand. Set aside for around 20 minutes to 30 minutes until the radish shreds are totally softened.
- To prepare the side ingredients: in a small pan, add around 1/2 tablespoon oil and then fry onions, dried shrimp, sausage and shitake mushroom until aroma. Set aside.
STEAMED RADISH CAKE RECIPE (TURNIP CAKE) 萝卜糕 | …
5/5 (2)Category AppetizerCuisine Asian, ChineseCalories 134 per serving
- In a hot wok, add in the radish strips (daikon). Toss around until slightly wilted. Then add in the soaking water. Cover with lid and lower the heat. Simmer and cook for another 10 minutes until nice and soft, stirring occasionally before done.
- To make the flour batter, first put rice flour and tapioca starch into a mixing bowl. Then pour in the 1 cup radish juice and using a whisk, mix well till there are no lumps and a smooth batter is formed. Then prepare to cook the steamed radish cake.
- Heat a little oil in wok and saute garlic till fragrant. Then add in the diced chinese sausage and over low heat, fry the sausage till the pork fat is released. Then add in the diced mushrooms, dried shrimp and dried scallop and saute till aromatic.
TURNIP CAKE (LO BAK GO/蘿蔔糕) | HEALTHY NIBBLES BY …
4.7/5 (7)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory Dim SumCalories 266 per serving
- Soak the dried scallops and dried shrimp in water overnight. Drain the water. Use your hands to shred the scallops. Roughly chop the dried shrimp.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet (or sauté pan) over medium-high heat. Add the scallops, shrimp, Chinese sausage, and shallots and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the oyster sauce, salt, and white pepper. Stir to combine. Turn off the heat and transfer everything to a bowl.
- Trim the tops off the daikon and peel them. Grate the daikon into a 9x13 pan or a bowl. You are doing this to ensure that you save all the daikon juices that release as you are grating the turnips. Alternatively, grate the daikon using a food processor.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large wok (or sauté pan) over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic to the wok and sauté for about a minute, until fragrant. Transfer the grated daikon and daikon juices into the wok. Add 1 1/2 cups of water, the rock sugar, salt, chicken powder, white pepper, and garlic powder to the wok. Cover the wok with a lid and cook the daikon for about 5 minutes.
TURNIP CAKE (CHINESE LO BAK GO) - THE WOKS OF LIFE
4.8/5 (100)Total Time 2 hrs 30 minsCategory Appetizers And SnacksCalories 206 per serving
- Add the grated turnip and 1 cup water to a wok or large pan, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the turnip does not brown. The turnip will produce liquid, some of which will evaporate. You will have liquid left in the wok with the radish that you will also use. Scoop the cooked turnip into a large mixing bowl to cool. Pour any remaining liquid in the wok into a measuring cup, and add water until you have a total of 1 cup of liquid. Add it to the mixing bowl with the cooked turnip.
- Clean your wok or pan and place it over medium heat. Add a couple tablespoons oil. Add the shrimp, mushrooms, and sausage, and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped scallion and remove from the heat to cool.
- Add rice flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, and white pepper to the mixing bowl with the radish and cooking liquid. Mix well until the dry ingredients are well-incorporated. Add in the cooked shrimp, mushrooms and sausage, and be sure to scrape the oil from the pan into the batter. If you like your radish cake soft, you can add another 1/4 cup or more of boiling water to the batter. If you feel the batter is too thin, return it to the wok on low heat to thicken the batter while stirring. Mix well and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Give the batter a final stir, and pour it into a well-oiled loaf pan. Place the pan into a steamer with plenty of water and steam over medium-high heat for 50 minutes.
CHINESE TURNIP CAKE (LO BAK GO, 萝卜糕) - OMNIVORE'S …
4.8/5 (5)Total Time 25 hrs 50 minsCategory AppetizerCalories 170 per serving
- Rinse the shiitake mushrooms and dried shrimp separately with tap water and gently rub them to remove any dirt. Place each ingredient into a different bowl. Add hot water to cover. Soak for 15 minutes, or until the ingredients turn soft. Drain and dice into small pieces.
- Add the Chinese sausage into a large nonstick skillet and heat it over medium heat. Cook until the sausage is lightly browned and some oil is rendered off, 5 minutes or so.
- Prepare 1 to 2 glass tupperware or baking dishes that can fit into your steamer. I used two 4.5” x 4.5” (11cm x 11 cm) glass containers to cook two batches. If you have a large wok or steamer, you might be able to fit an 8” x 8” (20cm x 20cm) baking pan in it. You’ll only need to cook one batch in this case. If you’ll be cooking in two batches, cover the uncooked batter with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
- To serve, cut the turnip cakes into 1/4” (1 cm) thick pieces. Brown both sides in a heated skillet coated with a thin layer of oil until heated through and the surface turns golden.
SWEET MASHED TURNIPS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4/5 (104)Total Time 40 minsCategory Dinner, Side DishCalories 106 per serving
TURNIP CAKE/RADISH CAKE (CHINESE NEW ... - CHRISTINE'S …
Cuisine ChineseCategory Steamed, SnackServings 2-3Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
TURNIP CAKE – INSTANT POT RECIPES
4/5 (3)Servings 10Cuisine ChineseCategory Appetizer
LEARN HOW TO MAKE TURNIP CAKE FROM HONG KONG'S TOP …
THE BEST PAN FRIED TURNIP CAKE RECIPE | DIM SUM CENTRAL
TURNIP CAKE - HOW TO MAKE AS GOOD AS DIM SUM STORE
Reviews 30Calories 316 per servingCategory Dim Sum
- Stir-fry the dry seafood, sausage and mushrooms. First let me clarify that this Chinese turnip cake recipe is savory, not a sweet dessert! The main ingredients apart from the turnip are Chinese sausage, dry shiitake mushrooms, dry scallops, and dry shrimps.
- Cut and cook the turnip. Choose the turnips that feel heavy when you hold, as they contain more water and is fresher. Peel off the skin, and divide it into two equal portions.
- Constitute the flour mix. Rice flour is the main ingredient in the recipe to hold the turnip cake in shape. Most of the Chinese radish cake recipe also includes a small amount of wheat starch to ensure all the components will stick together.
- Steam the turnip cake. Once you have the flour batter ready, add it to the turnip and combine well. Let the turnip mix cools down before adding the flour batter because the starch will get cook and turn sticky if it is too hot.
- Pan-fry the turnip cake. Remove the turnip cake from the refrigerator. Run a knife along the sides of the container and remove it with a spatula or knife.
CHINESE TURNIP CAKE (萝白糕) | MADE WITH LAU
5/5 (552)Category Main Course
- We'll need to cook everything for a bit and add some flavors before it becomes a turnip cake mix that we can steam.
TURNIP CAKE (LO BAK GO, 萝卜糕) - RED HOUSE SPICE
Ratings 12Calories 204 per servingCategory Appetizer, Breakfast, Side Dish
- Rinse dried shrimp and dried shiitake mushroom. Soak them in about 400ml water overnight or at least 3 hours.
- While waiting for the radish to cook, chop dried shrimp, mushroom, shallots and Chinese sausage into tiny pieces.
- Measure out 400ml of the liquid in which the radish was cooked. Top up with room temperature water if it’s not enough (Make sure the liquid isn’t hot any more). Add rice flour and corn starch. Mix until well dissolved.
TURNIP CAKE (RADISH CAKE) | CHINA YUMMY FOOD
5/5 (3)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory SnackCalories 168 per serving
- Marinate the white radish shred and salt in a bowl for over 20 minutes until the white radish shred becomes soft. (If there is a blender, stir the white radish with water until evenly)
- Pour the white radish with water in a wok and cook it until boiling. Then reduce the fair and continue to cook it under low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice syrup in the wok and stir it for a few seconds until the rice slurry begins to stick together. Then, Turn off the fire.
VEGAN CHINESE RADISH CAKE - EASY HEALTHY RECIPES FROM ...
Ratings 5Category Appetizers/ SnacksCuisine ChineseTotal Time 13 hrs 15 mins
- In a large wok, place one teaspoon of oil and then add shredded diakon and cook until softened and about 1/4 cup water to finish the cooking process. (about 10 minutes) Season diakon with vegetable or chicken powder (vegetable bouillon cube crushed), sugar salt, white pepper and five-spiced powder. All the water should be evaporated.
- Slowly add the rice flour, a little at a time, to the daikon mixture, stirring continuously. Add a little water at time to help smooth the product up to six cup of water. (The consistency you are looking for is like a soft cement or bondo for a car or maybe stiff frosting in the can (don't laugh) Don't let the mixture burn so keep it moving until you reach the right consistency. Please note: I had a very large diakon and I live in a super humid climate and all of these factors play a part in determining how much water you will need to add to your mixture. You may need to add between 5 to 6 cups of water, maybe less or maybe more, to achieve the soft cement like consistency. It is very important that you add just a little water at a time until you get to the consistency of soft cement. I needed to add 5.5 cups to achieve the consistency I was looking for.
- Turn the burner off. Add a little at a time the chopped mushrooms and spring onions to your diakon flour mixture. Season to taste.
- Scoop the batter into a 9-inch cake tin and level it and smooth out the batter. (If your steamer is small, divide diakon batter into 2 smaller pans)
HOME-MADE LO BAK GO - CHINESE TURNIP CAKE - COOK LIKE ASIAN
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory RecipesCalories 177 per serving
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes until they soften completely. Remove the stems and dice.
CHINESE TURNIP CAKE WITH STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOS | EAT, LITTLE ...
5/5 (6)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory DinnerCalories 373 per serving
- To steam the turnip cake, you can either use a 21 x 11 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaf pan or 20 cm (8 inch) round cake pan. Generously grease the cake pan of your choice with some oil.
VEGAN CHINESE TURNIP CAKE (LO BAK GO) – MARY'S TEST KITCHEN
Reviews 10Calories 208 per servingCategory Appetizers + Snacks
TURNIP CAKE RECIPE - DUMPLING CONNECTION
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
TURNIP CAKE - TRADITIONAL CHINESE RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
Cuisine Asian, ChineseTotal Time 1 hr 35 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 1804 per serving
蘿蔔糕 LUóBO GāO - ASIAN & TAIWANESE RECIPES MADE ...
TOP 10 TURNIP RECIPES (YES, TURNIPS!) - TASTE OF HOME
FIVE CHEFS ON HOW TO CREATE THE PERFECT TURNIP CAKE FOR ...
TURNIP RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
HOW TO MAKE CHINESE TURNIP CAKES (蘿蔔糕) | DIM SUM STYLE
TURNIP CAKES: THE EASY, TASTY RECIPE FOR A CLASSIC CHINESE ...
You'll also love