VEGAN WELSH CAKES
Make a vegan version of Welsh cakes, with all the flavour of the traditional recipe but free from dairy. Sprinkle with sugar to finish and serve warm or cold
Provided by Esther Clark
Categories Afternoon tea
Yield Makes 20
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Tip the flour into a large bowl and stir through the salt and nutmeg. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips to make a fine, breadcrumb consistency. Add the sugar and currants and stir in 3 tbsp milk until it just comes together, add a further 1 tbsp if the dough is a little dry. Bring together into a ball, try not to overwork the dough as this will make it tough.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 5mm thickness and cut out rounds using a 6 or 7cm cutter. Re-roll any scraps and cut out more until you have used up all the dough.
- Place a cast iron pan or heavy based frying pan over a medium heat to get really hot. Cook for 3-4 mins on each side or until lightly golden, you will need to turn the heat down slightly if they begin to catch. Immediately toss in the sugar and set aside on a wire rack to cool down for 15 mins.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 85 calories, Fat 3 grams fat, SaturatedFat 1 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 13 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 1 grams protein, Sodium 0.2 milligram of sodium
We attended a county fair in Wales and the ladies of the local church were baking and selling these. We asked for the recipe and they graciously shared it with us. This has been converted to US standard. They are delicious and not as sweet as some of our style cookies. Dried currants can be used in place of the raisins.
Provided by Flo Buehler
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Put in butter and lard and mix until resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar and currants or raisins. Beat the eggs lightly and add to flour mixture with just enough milk to make a firm dough similar to shortcrust pastry.
- Chill dough 1 to 2 hours.
- Roll the dough to 1/4 inch on floured surface and cut with 3 inch rounds. Bake the cakes on a greased griddle or frying pan (I use my electric skillet with just a little non-stick spray) over low heat until golden brown. Cool and sprinkle with sugar. These also freeze well.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 234.5 calories, Carbohydrate 39.8 g, Cholesterol 42.1 mg, Fat 7.3 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 3.8 g, SaturatedFat 3.4 g, Sodium 165.8 mg, Sugar 21 g
EGG FREE WELSH CAKES
these yummy welsh cakes are suitable for people who can not eat egg and are also alot of fun to make.
Provided by angharadjones
Yield Makes Cakes
Number Of Ingredients 6
- sieve the flour , baking powder and spices into a bowl. add the butter, broken into small chunks . rub together until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- add the currants and the suger then mix. slowly add the milk until it comes to a lump when you mix it. roll and cut into shape.
- heat a heavy bottomed frying pan and grease ir. place the welsh cakes in the pan and turn over when it is a nice golden brown.
- take them out of the pan and sprinkle them with cinamon and sugar.
More about "vegan welsh cakes recipes"
VEGAN WELSH CAKES - VEGAN ON BOARD
Ratings 1Category Breakfast, Dessert, SnackCuisine BritishTotal Time 30 mins
- To make a 'flax egg', mix the ground flaxseed with the water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes while you carry on with the steps.
WELSH CAKES - VEGAN RECIPE BOWL
5/5 (1)Category SnackCuisine BritishCalories 100 per serving
- Mix together the soy milk and ground flaxseed - making sure to thoroughly wet the flaxseeds. Set aside to thicken for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, rub in the flour, margarine, sugar, baking powder and salt until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the dried fruit and mix to distribute evenly. Finally, gently mix in the flaxseed and soy milk mixture - the goal is to bring everything together as a cohesive dough with the least handling possible. First, stir with a spoon until everything is just wetted, then with lightly floured hands grasp the dough and gently press it together, rotating it and pressing a few times until it forms a ball that doesn't fall apart when handled.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to roughly 0.75 cm thick. Cut out rounds using a 7 cm cutter, re-rolling and cutting any trimmings until the dough is used up. Generously grease a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan with margarine, and place over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh cakes in batches, for 2-3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked through.
VEGAN WELSH CAKES | FOODACIOUSLY
- Roll out the dough to a 1 cm thickness. Then, use the fluted edge of an 8 cm (3 inches) pastry cutter to cut out round cakes.
- Heat a dash of oil in a large non-stick skillet and add four or five cakes. Cook them for 2 - 3 minutes on each side until golden and slightly puffed.
VEGAN WELSH CAKES - DOMESTIC GOTHESS
5/5 (4)Category SnackCuisine BritishTotal Time 21 mins
VEGAN WELSH CAKES - A MUMMY TOO
28 DROOL-WORTHY VEGAN CAKE RECIPES
WELSH CAKES - AVANT-GARDE VEGAN
VEGAN WELSH CAKES | RECIPE | WELSH CAKE, TEA TIME FOOD, CANNED …
GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN WELSHCAKES – MAMGUWELSHCAKES
TRADITIONAL WELSH CAKES.
GAZ OAKLEY'S WELSH CAKES - PETA UK
VEGAN TRADITIONAL WELSH CAKES [BAKESTONE CAKES]
RECIPES - OAKDEN
VEGAN WELSH CAKES – VIBRANT VEGAN
WELSH TEA CAKES — STEAMY VEGAN KITCHEN
WELSH-CAKES - BEST OF VEGAN
QUICK AND EASY VEGAN WELSH CAKES | RECIPE
WEARACTIVE BLOG - VEGAN WELSH CAKES
VEGAN WELSH CAKES - CLAYTONS COOKBOOK
VEGAN WELSH CAKES — A VEGAN VISIT
VEGAN WELSH CAKES APPROVED BY GRANDMA - | VIVA! THE VEGAN …
VEGAN WELSH CAKES - PLANTBASED MAGAZINE
VEGAN WELSH CAKES : VEGANRECIPES - REDDIT
VEGAN WELSH CAKES — THAT VEGAN DAD - VEGAN RECIPES, BLOGS
VEGAN WELSH CAKES RECIPE - WE MADE THIS VEGAN
VEGAN WELSH CAKES | HOW TO RECIPE – VEGAN KITCHENETTE
VEGAN WELSH CAKES - GLOBALMOUSE TRAVELS FAMILY TRAVEL
VEGAN WELSH CAKES | HOW TO RECIPE | VEGAN RECIPES
(VEGAN) WELSH CAKES – BLUEMONKI DOT NET
VEGAN WELSH CAKES | VEGAN RECIPES
MAMGU’S WELSH COFFEE SHOP – MAMGUWELSHCAKES
SCOTTISH VEGAN OATCAKES - TRADITIONAL PLANT-BASED COOKING
GLUTEN-FREE WELSH CAKES RECIPE
WELSH CAKES - QUINTESSENTIALLY VEGAN - POACH ME QUICK - VEGAN …
BEST WELSH CAKES RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE WELSH CAKES
VEGAN WELSH CAKES - HOW TO RECIPE - MOTHER OF GROM
GLUTEN FREE WELSH CAKES (BAKESTONES) - THE FREE FROM FAIRY
VEGAN WELSH CAKES - OAT MILK & COOKIES
TRADITIONAL EASY WELSH CAKE LOW-CALORIE RECIPE
GF + VEGAN WELSH CAKES
PIN ON DESSERT - PINTEREST
VEGAN WELSH CAKE RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
You'll also love