SWEET AND SALTY GRILLED STEAK WITH CUCUMBER SALAD
The marinade on this steak is inspired by a classic Vietnamese dipping sauce called nuoc cham. Since it consists mostly of pantry staples - Asian fish sauce, brown sugar and garlic - all you need to pick up on the way home are some fresh limes and jalapeño. Nuoc cham works as a salad dressing, too. Here we drizzle it on crisp cucumbers and radishes, but sliced ripe tomatoes work just as well. You could serve it as it is with the salad on the side, or put everything on top of a bed of rice noodles or rice for a more substantial meal.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic and jalapeño. Pour 1/2 of the mixture over the flank steak and let marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or refrigerate for up to 24 hours). Let meat come to room temperature before cooking if necessary.
- Combine the cucumber, radishes and scallions. Pour in just enough of the marinade sauce to coat.
- Light the grill or heat the broiler to high. Pat steak dry with paper towels.
- If grilling, cook until done to taste, about 3 minutes per side for rare. If broiling, heat a 10-inch skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Add oil to pan and sear the meat for 2 minutes. Flip meat and immediately transfer pan directly to top shelf of oven and broil for 2 to 3 minutes for rare, or longer for more well-done meat. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes covered in foil.
- Thinly slice steak and serve over cooked rice noodles or rice if desired, and top with the cucumber salad. Garnish with sesame seeds and plenty of herbs if using and serve with remaining marinade as a sauce.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 228, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 9 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 26 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 1959 milligrams, Sugar 6 grams
VIETNAMESE GRILLED STEAK AND CABBAGE SALAD
- To make the marinade, grate the zest from 1 lime; juice that lime. Whisk together 1/4 cup soy sauce, lime juice and zest, ginger and sesame oil. Chop 2 cloves garlic. With a mortar and pestle or with the flat side of a knife, mash the garlic into a paste. Whisk into the marinade.
- Place the steak in a shallow dish and cover with the marinade, turning completely to coat. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours. (Alternate method: place steak in a ziplock bag, pour over marinade, squeeze out air, seal and massage to distribute marinade.) Remove the steak from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- In the meantime in a food processor fitted with the large grating attachment, shred the carrots. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cabbage and cilantro; toss well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
- To make the vinaigrette, juice the remaining lime. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, vinegar, olive or peanut oil, fish sauce, lime juice and cayenne. Chop the remaining garlic clove. Using a mortar and pestle or with the back of a knife, mash garlic to a paste; whisk into the vinaigrette.
- Heat a broiler or grill. Remove the steak from the marinade, scraping off excess; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, turning once halfway through, until browned, 5 or 6 minutes per side for medium/medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
- To assemble, add just enough of the vinaigrette to the salad to coat it; toss well. Taste and add more dressing or salt or lime juice if desired. Place the salad onto the center of a platter and top with the steak. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and drizzle with more vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 329.2, Fat 15.1, SaturatedFat 5.4, Cholesterol 96.4, Sodium 1270.6, Carbohydrate 15.3, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 5.1, Protein 35.1
More about "vietnamese grilled steak and cabbage salad recipes"
VIETNAMESE CABBAGE SLAW • COOKING HAWAIIAN STYLE
Cuisine Thai, VietnameseCategory SaladServings 4Total Time 30 mins
VIETNAMESE STEAK SALAD - NICKY'S KITCHEN SANCTUARY
5/5 (2)Total Time 21 minsCategory DinnerCalories 270 per serving
- Start with the dressing. Simply mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and put to one side whilst you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Cover the rice noodles in boiling water and leave to stand for 3 minutes - until the rice noodles are cooked. Drain and rinse under the cold tap to stop the noodles sticking together. Leave to drain in a colander.
- Heat a small frying pan until very hot. Spray the steak on both sides with the spray oil and rub in the salt and pepper. Place the steak in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side so that it's charred on the outside, but still pink in the middle (cook for a couple of minutes longer if you prefer your steak well-done). Take the steak out of the pan and place on a chopping board. Cover with foil and then a tea-towel on top and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Whilst the steak is resting, divide the salad leaves, cucumber, carrot and spring onions between two bowls. Top with the noodles.
FIVE REFRESHING VIETNAMESE SALADS - VIET WORLD KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
VIETNAMESE BEEF AND RICE NOODLE SALAD RECIPE ...
VIETNAMESE FLANK STEAK WITH CITRUS-MINT CABBAGE SALAD ...
5/5 (7)Total Time 25 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 465 per serving
- Make the marinade. Whisk together the soy sauce (or tamari), ginger, garlic, lime juice and zest, and sesame oil. Pat the steak dry and place it in a shallow dish, pour the marinade over the steak and flip it over to coat both sides. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour or up to twelve.
- Make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce (or tamari) rice vinegar, olive oil, fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, and sambal oelek (or sriracha).
- Preheat the broiler. Scrape the solid bits of marinade off the steak (to prevent burning), season with kosher salt, and transfer to a sheet pan. Broil for 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare or 4-5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain.
VIETNAMESE STEAK SALAD RECIPE | EATINGWELL
3.5/5 (2)Calories 225 per servingTotal Time 4 hrs 30 mins
- To prepare steak: Combine lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and chile oil in a large sealable plastic bag. Add steak and seal the bag, turning to coat the meat with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator, turning the bag occasionally, for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette: Combine broth, lemongrass and 2 tablespoons shallot in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain into a small bowl, discarding solids. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons shallot, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and chile oil; whisk to combine. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and mint.
- Remove the steak from the marinade (discard marinade). Grill the steak, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly on the diagonal, across the grain.
VIETNAMESE STEAK AND SUGAR SNAP SALAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr
- Prepare the Marinade: Whisk together fish sauce, cilantro, oil, brown sugar, vinegar, jalapeño, garlic, ginger, and lime zest in a medium bowl.
VIETNAMESE BEEF SALAD RECIPE - THE LEMON BOWL®
5/5 (1)Total Time 42 minsCategory Entree, Main CourseCalories 224 per serving
- In a large plastic resealable bag, combine beef, lime juice, salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes or longer to marinade.
- Preheat grill on High (or turn on broiler if cooking indoors.) Make salad dressing by combining soy sauce through brown sugar in a small glass bowl. Set aside.
- Cook beef on hot grill about 6 minutes per side for medium rare (longer if you prefer.) When beef is done cooking, take off the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
VIETNAMESE FLANK BEEF STEAK WITH NOODLE SALAD
Category Main Courses, Salads, SandwichesEstimated Reading Time 1 min
VIETNAMESE-STYLE STEAK SALAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 4Calories 584 per serving
VIETNAMESE BEEF SALAD RECIPE | BEEF + LAMB NEW ZEALAND
VIETNAMESE GRILLED STEAK AND CABBAGE SALAD | RECIPES ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
VIETNAMESE GRILLED BEEF SALAD RECIPE | AUSTRALIAN BEEF ...
Cuisine AsianServings 4
VIETNAMESE GRILLED STEAK SALAD WITH CABBAGE AND PEANUTS ...
GRILLED STEAK WITH CABBAGE-MANGO SALAD | CANADIAN LIVING
VIETNAMESE CABBAGE SALAD- TFRECIPES
VIETNAMESE GRILLED STEAK AND CABBAGE SALAD RECIPES
VIETNAMESE STYLE STEAK SALAD RECIPES
VIETNAMESE GRILLED STEAK AND CABBAGE SALAD WITH PEANUTS ...
VIETNAMESE GRILLED STEAK AND CABBAGE WITH PEANUTS, MINT ...
VIETNAMESE SWEET PEPPER SALAD - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
VIETNAMESE SALADS RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
VIETNAMESE STEAK SALAD RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
VIETNAMESE STEAK SALAD RECIPES
VIETNAMESE GREEN MANGO SALAD RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ...
VIETNAMESE CABBAGE SALAD RECIPE- TFRECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make Vietnamese steak salad?Tangy Vietnamese flavours and juicy steak make for a moreish salad. Brush steaks with oil and season with pepper. Place a chargrill pan over high heat and cook steak for 3 minutes each side for medium rare or until cooked to your liking. Rest. Peel carrot into ribbons with a vegetable peeler and toss with the rice vinegar.
What kind of sauce do you put on a Vietnamese steak?The marinade on this steak is inspired by a classic Vietnamese dipping sauce called nuoc cham. Since it consists mostly of pantry staples – Asian fish sauce, brown sugar and garlic – all you need to pick up on the way home are some fresh limes and jalapeño. Nuoc cham works as a salad dressing, too.
What is the best salad to make with pickled cabbage?Combine cabbage, carrot plus pickling liquid, vermicelli, cucumber, snow peas and mint leaves and toss with dressing. Top salad with sliced beef and peanuts.
How many calories are in this Vietnamese steak salad?This Vietnamese Steak Salad is a crisp salad with noodles, tender steak and a spicy dressing - only 270 calories! Vietnamese Steak Salad for lunch anyone?