ALMOST-FAMOUS CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE
LongHorn Steakhouse is known for its cowboy-size portions, but fans of the chain somehow manage to save room for the Chocolate Stampede: a dark cocoa cake covered with two kinds of chocolate mousse, dark chocolate ganache, whipped cream, ice cream and fudge sauce. LongHorn created the dish 10 years ago to remedy a lack of chocolate on the menu, and now the place sells more than a million a year. Execs won't ever sell you the recipe, though - so Food Network Kitchens created one that's just as rich as the real deal.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Make the cake: Prepare the cake mix as the label directs for a 9-by-13-inch cake. Bake; cool slightly in the pan, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
- Clean out the cake pan and line it with plastic wrap. Cut the cake in half lengthwise, then in thirds crosswise to make 6 rectangles. Using a serrated knife, slice each rectangle in half to make two layers. Arrange half of the pieces snugly in the cake pan. Crumble the remaining pieces and press tightly into 6 small balls; arrange 1 cake ball in the center of each cake rectangle in the pan.
- Make the mousse: Heat the chocolate, butter, coffee and 1/4 cup water in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water), stirring, until melted. Remove the bowl from the pan; stir until cool. Reserve the simmering water. Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Whisk the egg yolks, 1 1/2 cups sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a separate large heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and whisk until pale yellow, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the chocolate-coffee mixture and the vanilla and whisk until combined, about 2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the pan and set in the bowl of ice water; whisk until slightly cool but not thick, about 4 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites and salt in a bowl with a mixer until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until almost stiff; gently fold into the chocolate-yolk mixture to make a dark chocolate mousse. Spread 5 cups over the cake and cake balls. Freeze until firm on top, about 30 minutes.
- Beat the heavy cream and the remaining 4 tablespoons sugar until soft peaks form; fold into the remaining mousse. Remove the cake from the freezer; spread with the light chocolate mousse, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Make the chocolate shell: Stir the chocolate, heavy cream and 4 tablespoons corn syrup in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water) until melted. A spoonful at a time, spread half of the shell mixture over the frozen mousse. Return to the freezer.
- Make the chocolate sauce: Add the remaining 1 tablespoon corn syrup and the butter to the remaining chocolate shell mixture. Microwave 30 seconds, then stir until glossy.
- To serve the cake, beat the heavy cream with a mixer until foamy. Add the sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Remove the cake from the freezer; invert onto a baking sheet and unmold, then invert again onto a platter, chocolate shell-side up.
- Cut the cake in half lengthwise using a warm knife, then cut into thirds crosswise to make 6 rectangles; cut each rectangle in half diagonally to make 2 triangles. Top each triangle with whipped cream, ice cream and the prepared chocolate sauce.
WICKED YELLOW DINOSAUR CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine yellow cake mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely, about 25 minutes.
- Combine heavy cream, 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, and sugar in a chilled glass or metal bowl; beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spread over cooled cake.
- Freeze cake until whipped cream layer is firm, about 1 hour. Sprinkle confetti candy on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 358.3 calories, Carbohydrate 29 g, Cholesterol 96.6 mg, Fat 26.5 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 4.1 g, SaturatedFat 12 g, Sodium 209 mg, Sugar 13.4 g
WICKED HOT CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- Whisk the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of sugar, butter, 1/4 cup of water, coffee liqueur, and chili oil in a large metal bowl to blend. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water); whisk constantly until the mixture is very thick and frothy, about 3 minutes. Add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites in another large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, beating until stiff and glossy peaks form. Remove the chocolate from over the water. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the warm chocolate mixture to lighten, then fold in the remaining meringue.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours or overnight. Spoon the mousse into 6-ounce bowls. Top with spicy whipped cream and serve.
- Combine the oil and crushed red pepper flakes in a heavy small saucepan. Cook over low heat until a thermometer inserted into the oil registers 180 degrees F, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Transfer the oil and pepper flakes to a 4-ounce bottle. Seal the lid. Refrigerate up to 1 month.
- With an electric mixer, whip cream gradually adding the sugar until soft peaks form. Top with a dusting of cocoa powder and a pinch of cayenne. Serve immediately.
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE
While looking for a special dessert for Easter, I came across this recipe on another site. It is by Marcel Desaulniers of Death by Chocolate fame! It was a huge success and everyone went back for seconds. My husband requested this for his next birthday instead of his favorite lemon coconut cake.
Provided by MrsC7606
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Lightly grease insides of 3 9 inch cake pans with melted butter. Line each pan with parchment paper, then lightly grease parchment paptr with more melted butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat 1 inch water in bottom of a double boiler over medium heat. Place 14 tablespoons butter and 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in top of double boiler. Tightly cover top with plastic wrap. Allow to heat for 10-12 minutes, remove from heat, stir until smooth and hold at room temperature.
- Place 8 egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in bowl of electric mixed with paddle. Beat on high until slightly thickened and lemon-colored, about 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on high for an additional 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk or beat 4 egg whites until stiff, but not dry, about 3-4 minutes.
- Fold the melted chocolate mixture into the beaten egg yolk mixture. Add a quarter of the beaten egg whites and stir to incorporate, then gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Divide the batter among the 3 pans, spread evenly and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22-30 minutes. Allow to cool in pans for 15 minutes. (During baking, the surface of the cakes will form a crust; this crust will normally collapse, when the cakes are removed from the oven.) Invert the cakes onto cake circles, remove the parchment and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Mousse Filling:.
- Heat 1 inch of water in bottom of a double boiler over medium heat. Place 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in top of double boiler. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and allow to heat for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir until smooth. transfer melted chocolate to a stainless steel bowl and set aside until needed. Place 2 1/2 cups of heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a well chilled bowl of electric mixer fitted with well-chilled balloon whip. Whisk on high until stiff peaks form, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Use a hand whisk to combine 1/4 of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate until smooth and completely incorporated. Add the combined whipped cream and chocolate to the remaining whipped cream and fold together.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a 3 quart saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Place the 18 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in 3 quart stainless steel bowl. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Chill 1 cup of ganache for at least 1 hour. Remaining ganahe should be at room temperature.
- Assemble the cake:.
- Arrange one of the cake layers in a 9 inch springform pan, evenly spread half of the mousse filling over the cake and top with the second layer. Add remaining mousse and top with the remaining cake layer. Chill 2 hours. Transfer chilled cup of ganache to a pastry bag fitted a star tip. Remove cake from springform pan and coat top and sides with room temperature ganache. Using chilled ganache, pipe decorative stars on top of cake.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 787.7, Fat 74.5, SaturatedFat 45.4, Cholesterol 441.5, Sodium 84.3, Carbohydrate 26, Sugar 22.2, Protein 7.2
BAILEY'S CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE
This recipe comes from "The Ballykissangel Cookbook" which has been leant to me by my good friend Joan. Ballykissangel was a very popular gentle drama series set in the fictional Irish village of the same name. The cookbook is a collection of traditional and modern Irish recipes, created by Aidan Dempsey, who used to do the catering for the BBC film unit. This cake can be made in advance, frozen, then served straight from the freezer. The recipe states that this serves 4, but I reckon that that's a typo; this will be rich and even though the cake is not deep, a quarter of a 9 inch cake still sounds like a lot of cake to me! You will gather that this means that I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds super good and super easy to make; it would also be a good way to use up egg yolks if you have been making meringues. Cooking time is freezing time.
Provided by Mrs B
Categories Frozen Desserts
Yield 1 x 9 inch cake
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Line and grease the base of a 9 inch (23cm) spring form cake tin with the extra butter.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Put the butter, sugar, egg yolks, Bailey's Irish Cream and melted chocolate in a food processor and 'whiz' for about 3 or 4 minutes until well mixed; transfer chocolate mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks then fold it into the chocolate mixture; pour into the prepared cake tin and place in the freezer overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the cake from the freezer; sprinkle cocoa powder and grated chocolate over the top of the cake to decorate and serve with extra whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 4270.6, Fat 401.6, SaturatedFat 246.2, Cholesterol 1645.9, Sodium 940.1, Carbohydrate 202.6, Fiber 37.6, Sugar 122.4, Protein 50.2
More about "wicked yellow dinosaur chocolate mousse cake recipes"
A DINOSAUR FOSSIL BIRTHDAY CAKE: AN UNUSUAL DINO-THEMED …
Cuisine AustralianEstimated Reading Time 5 minsCategory Birthday Cakes (Dinosaur Party)Calories 173 per serving
- If the cake is not already frosted, frost the cake so that the top is covered in the chocolate frosting or cream.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the marshmallows to form dinosaur bones. You will need leg bones, backbones, tail bones, ribs and skull and jawbone at least. Ours was a carnivore, so I added arms and hands and teeth.
- Place them on the cake so that the dinosaur is recognisable, but not necessarily anatomically correct – it is a fossil.
- Sprinkle the chocolate 'dirt' around the marshmallow fossil to give the impression of dirt and rocks.
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE | RICARDO
5/5 (126)Total Time 1 hrCategory Desserts
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
10 BEST CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPES
COPYCAT CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPE - ALL SHE COOKS
CHOCOLATE OREO DINOSAUR CAKE - FLOURISHING FOODIE
MOIST CHOCOLATE DINOSAUR CAKE - EDMONDS COOKING
WICKED YELLOW DINOSAUR CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE TASTY RECIPES
DOMINIQUE ANSEL’S CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE | BEWITCHING …
BIRTHDAY CAKE PIE WITH CHOCOLATE MOUSSE - FOODIECRUSH
RECIPES/WICKED-YELLOW-DINOSAUR-CHOCOLATE-MOUS.JSON AT …
PRALINE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE | PRALINE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE …
9 CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - GOOD CHEF BAD CHEF
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - OH SWEET DISNEY! - DISNEY RECIPES
CHOCOLATE DINOSAUR CAKE - FOODHEAVENMAG.COM
BEST RICH CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
YELLOW CAKE WITH RICH CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM - ONCE UPON A CHEF
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - I HEART EATING - I HEART RECIPES
BEST EVER EASY VEGAN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - THE BANANA DIARIES
LAYERED CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
DINOSAUR DIG TRIPLE CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE - SPRINKLE BAKES
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPE - CLOVE AND CUMIN
15 STUNNING CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPES - THE RUSTY SPOON
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - EASY DESSERT RECIPES
DIVINE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - JAZZY VEGETARIAN
HOW TO MAKE THE LEGENDARY CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE
THE BEST EASY NO BAKE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - EAZY PEAZY …
RECIPE: ANNA OLSON'S CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE | CBC LIFE
ROYAL CHOCOLATE CAKE / TRIANON - BAKING LIKE A CHEF
DINOSAUR CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE | DR. OETKER
BAKERY STYLE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - GRETCHEN'S VEGAN BAKERY
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - VJ COOKS
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE | JAPANESE FOOD AT HOME
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - CUTTERLIGHT
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE | MAKING RICH AND FRAGRANT TRIPLE
BEST CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE RECIPE FOR CHOCOLATE LOVERS
BAKED CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - EVERYDAY GOURMET
CHOCOHOLIC: CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE - SERIOUS EATS
GUINNESS CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE | MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
THIS MAGICAL CHOCOLATE MOUSSE TRANSFORMS INTO A CHOCOLATE CAKE
You'll also love