BEAN SOUP WITH CABBAGE, WINTER SQUASH AND FARRO
Wondering what else you can do with the cabbage and winter squash in that box of delivered produce? Here's a meal in a bowl, perfect for a cold winter night.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Yield Serves six
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven. Cook the onion until it begins to soften, about three minutes. Add the carrot, celery and sage, and continue to cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about five minutes. Add half the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about one minute. Add the cabbage and a generous pinch of salt, and cook, stirring often, until the cabbage is limp, about 10 minutes. Drain the soaked beans, and add them to the pot, along with the squash, bouquet garni and 2 quarts water, or enough to cover by two inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, add salt to taste and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the beans are tender. Remove the bouquet garni, and discard.
- While the soup is simmering, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat in a medium-size nonstick skillet. Add the remaining garlic and the rosemary. Cook for a half-minute to a minute until fragrant, and stir in the tomatoes. Add salt. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down and the mixture is thick, beginning to stick to the pan and delicious. Stir into the soup along with the cooked farro. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust salt, and add lots of freshly ground pepper. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 264, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 45 grams, Fat 6 grams, Fiber 12 grams, Protein 12 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 659 milligrams, Sugar 7 grams
WINTER CABBAGE SOUP
From SOS Cuisine. I made a double batch and froze part of it so didn't add the milk until I served it. I like it better without the milk and my dbf enjoys it with the milk!! :)
Provided by Redsie
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Prepare the vegetables: thinly slice the onions; finely chop the cabbage; shred the carrots.
- Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegetables, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then cover and cook 25 min over very low heat.
- Pour in the broth, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 15 minute Pour in the milk, then adjust the seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 157.5, Fat 8.8, SaturatedFat 3.9, Cholesterol 16.6, Sodium 903.4, Carbohydrate 13.2, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 9.3, Protein 7.4
WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP
A hearty and healthy combination of vegetables readily found in wintertime. Very low in fat. Red cabbage gives a rich color to this soup. This recipe also happens to be vegan!
Provided by JOHNTHEBEAR
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Saute onions and leeks until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, celery, carrot, and parsnip. Increase heat to medium-high and mix thoroughly. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Uncover and add ginger, cumin, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add broth, potatoes, turnip, squash, and barley to the pot. Bring to a boil, then add lima beans. Add additional broth or water if soup is too thick. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 216.2 calories, Carbohydrate 36.2 g, Fat 6.1 g, Fiber 7.2 g, Protein 5.4 g, SaturatedFat 0.8 g, Sodium 553.3 mg, Sugar 8.8 g
SAVORY WINTER SOUP
Even my father, who doesn't particularly like soup, enjoys my full-flavored version of traditional vegetable soup. He asked me to share the recipe with Mom, and I gladly obliged! -Dana Simmons, Lancaster, Ohio
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. , Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 163 calories, Fat 8g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 40mg cholesterol, Sodium 583mg sodium, Carbohydrate 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 14g protein.
More about "winters cabbage soup recipes"
HEARTY WINTER CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
Servings 4Total Time 45 mins
9 BEST BRITISH SOUP RECIPES FOR WINTER - THE SPRUCE EATS
RED CABBAGE WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP - EVERYDAY HEALTHY …
CABBAGE AND WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP - LUNCH VERSION
BEST CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SOUP
WINTER CABBAGE AND CHORIZO SOUP RECIPE | DELICIOUS.
THE BEST CABBAGE SOUP DIET RECIPE WONDER SOUP 7 …
WINTER CABBAGE SOUP - MINDFUL LIVING NETWORK
ULTIMATE WINTER CABBAGE SOUP | RECIPELION.COM
Category SoupsEstimated Reading Time 50 secs
WINTER SOUPS AND STEWS RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
CANNING CABBAGE SOUP: AN EASY WINTER DINNER
CABBAGE SOUP WITH MILK RECIPE - SUNAYANAGUPTA.COM
BEST CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE - BUTTER BE READY
PUMPKIN AND CABBAGE SOUP - SWEET AS HONEY
CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE - LOVE AND LEMONS
11 EASY AND TASTY WINTER CABBAGE SOUP RECIPES BY HOME …
WEIGHT LOSS CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE (WONDER SOUP) [VIDEO]
WINTER SOUP WITH CABBAGE - 6 RECIPES | TASTYCRAZE.COM
WINTER CABBAGE SOUP - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
36 WINTER SOUPS THAT GO FROM STOVE TO TABLE IN 30 MINUTES
THE AMISH COOK: WINTER CABBAGE SOUP » AMISH 365
WINTER RED CABBAGE AND APPLE SOUP RECIPE - PUREWOW
CABBAGE SOUP - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
NANI'S SCRUMPTIOUS PORK CABBAGE SOUP - STONEGABLE
KOHLSUPPE - AN AUTHENTIC SLOW COOKED GERMAN CABBAGE SOUP
30 BEST WINTER SOUPS FOR COLD WEATHER - WINTER SOUP RECIPES
CABBAGE SOUP: A HEALTHY RECIPE FOR COLD WINTERS
WINTER RED CABBAGE AND APPLE SOUP - TASTE
RECIPE: APPETIZING WINTER CABBAGE SOUP - MYCELEBES
160 BEST CABBAGE SOUP RECIPES IDEAS IN 2022 - PINTEREST
A CABBAGE SOUP PERFECT FOR CHILLY NIGHTS | KITCHN
WINTER ALBONDIGAS SOUP WITH SHREDDED CABBAGE - TASTES LOVELY
WINTER CABBAGE AND BEAN SOUP | COOK WITH M&S
15 CABBAGE SOUP IDEAS IN 2021 | COOKING RECIPES, CABBAGE RECIPES, …
SWEET AND SOUR CABBAGE SOUP IS THE CURE FOR WINTER | MYRECIPES
CABBAGE SOUP RECIPE | YUMMLY
HEARTY BEEF AND CABBAGE SOUP FOR A COLD WINTER’S NIGHT
AMISH WINTER'S DAY SOUP - EASY AND DELICIOUS - AMISH365.COM
10 BEST WHITE CABBAGE SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
11 WINTER-SPECIAL VEG SOUP RECIPES TO BRAVE THE COLD SEASON
32 BEST WINTER SOUPS AND STEWS - INSANELY GOOD RECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make the best cabbage soup?1 .In the pot heat up 3 tablespoons of oil, add the bay leaf, allspice, onion, leek and red cabbage. Stir and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes stirring often. 2. Add the carrot, celeriac, potato, stock and balsamic vinegar, stir, cover and bring to the boil.
What are the ingredients in red cabbage soup?This chunky red cabbage soup contains typical hearty winter vegetables including carrots, celeriac, potatoes, leek and spinach. Herbs add freshness and complexity of flavour.
Which is the best soup to make in winter?Top 10 winter soup recipes 1. Winter minestrone with pesto croûtes 2. Spiced root vegetable soup 3. Indian Winter Soup 4. Roasted red pepper, sweet potato & smoked paprika soup 5. Roasted butternut squash soup 6. Winter vegetable & lentil soup 7. Celeriac, hazelnut & truffle soup 8. Hearty winter veg soup 9. Chicken noodle soup
What to do with red cabbage?I also like to juice red cabbage with different fruits and vegetables for a vitamin boost during dark winter months. Red cabbage also makes a great soup ingredient as it has a mildly sweetish flavour (when cooked) which makes it suitable to combine with lots of different vegetables and flavour combinations.