- Fill a 24 quart kettle 3/4 full of water. Place over open fire or on stove and bring to boil. Add potatoes and 1 pound of salt. When boil resumes, time for 8 minutes. Then add onions wait until boil resumes then time for 2 minutes. Add whitefish and remaining salt. After 14 additional minutes of boiling dinner is ready. Broth may be ladled off prior to serving. Or use a slotted spoon to retrieve food from kettle.
- Fish is placed on plate along with 2 potatoes and 3 onions, melted butter is then ladled over and garnished with lemon wedge.
FISH BOIL RECIPE - (5/5)
Provided by DebCooks
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Fill Dutch oven 2/3 full with water and bring to a rolling boil. Add the salt and onions bring back to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until potatoes are done when pierced with a fork. Add fish steaks bring back to a boil and cook until fish is done about 10 to 11 minutes. Drain and arrange the fish, potatoes, onions on a platter. Pour melted butter over all and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
WHITE GULL INN TRADITIONAL FISH BOIL
This is for anyone who has ever been to Door County, Wisconsin and attended a fish boil, an outdoor event held every night in the summer. Fish and potatoes are boiled outdoors in a huge kettle. This recipe, courtesy of Sheila Lukins from her "USA Cookbook" adapts the method for the indoor cook. It's best to use a 5 gallon pot with a removable insert (steamer or pasta insert.)
Provided by yooper
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Wash the potatoes well and cut a thin slice off each end (this allows for better flavor penetration).
- Set them aside.
- Pour the water into a 5-gallon pot and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Keep it boiling as much as possible during the cooking procedure.
- Add 1 cup of the salt and the potatoes to the pot.
- Cook until the poatoes are nearly done (test with a fork), 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 cup salt and the whitefish.
- Cook until the fish is still firm but beginning to pull away from the bone when lifted with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the fish is cooking, skim the oil off the surface of the water with a spoon.
- Lift the cooked potatoes and fish from the water and drain well.
- Arrange the fish and potatoes on a large platter and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Serve immediately with the Tartar sauce, melted butter for dipping or spooning over, and the lemons alongside.
- NOTE: The amount of salt is based on the amount of water.
- If you're increasing the amount of water, add 1 cup of salt for each additional gallon of water.
DOOR COUNTY FISH BOIL DINNER (AT HOME)
If your not close enough to Door County, but are really in the mood for the delicious fish boil, you can make it at home now. Got this recipe from a free Door County dining guide. I put extra info in though so it truly tastes like the real deal!
Provided by livie
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Add a 1/4 lb. of the salt to water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, boil for 16 minutes. Add onions, boil for 4 minutes more. Add fish and the other 1/4 lb. of salt and boil for 10 minutes, then drain in a colander. For each plate, place two pieces of fish, two potatoes and two onions. Then drizzle the fish, potatoes and onions with 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter (I use unsalted). Serve with a wedge of lemon, coleslaw and a piece of Door County cherry pie for dessert.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 320.6, Fat 0.4, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 11040.9, Carbohydrate 73.5, Fiber 9.4, Sugar 8.6, Protein 8.2
More about "wisconsin fish boil recipes"
COOK LIKE A WISCONSINITE: FISH BOIL RECIPE - MILWAUKEE …
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
WISCONSIN FISH BOIL | A DOOR COUNTY TRADITION - LOVE AND TRAVELING
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
WISCONSIN FISH BOIL | MIDWEST LIVING
Calories 445 per serving
FISH BOILS - EXPERIENCE | DESTINATION DOOR COUNTY
FAMOUS WISCONSIN FISH BOIL - RECIPE - COOKS.COM | BOILED FOOD, …
DOOR COUNTY TROUT BOIL RECIPE – LAKE MICHIGAN ANGLER A
HOW TO MAKE A FISH BOIL : RECIPE FOR A GREAT LAKES CULINARY
WISCONSIN FISH BOIL RECIPE BY SEAFOOD.MASTER.CHEF | IFOOD.TV
FISH BOIL FOR HOME COOKES - RECIPES | DESTINATION DOOR COUNTY
WISCONSIN FISH BOIL RECIPE - DEVONA LAWS
FAMOUS WISCONSIN FISH BOIL RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
WISCONSIN FISH BOIL RECIPE BY ADMIN | IFOOD.TV
WISCONSIN FISH BOIL RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
RECIPE: WISCONSIN FISH BOIL - EXPRESSNEWS.COM
WISCONSIN FISH BOIL RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
WISCONSIN FARMER FAVORITE RECIPES - WISCONSIN BEEF COUNCIL
WISCONSIN FISH BOIL RECIPE - KAILA HERSHBERGER
COOKING – EAT WISCONSIN FISH
FAMOUS WISCONSIN FISH BOIL - RECIPE - COOKS.COM
7 PLACES FOR DELICIOUS FISH BOILS IN WISCONSIN
DOOR COUNTY, WI. FISH BOIL | QUICK RECIPES | NANA B'S QUICK RECIPES
FAMOUS WISCONSIN FISH BOIL - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT A WISCONSIN FISH BOIL
HOW TO THROW A FISH BOIL - DOOR COUNTY RECIPE | MEN'S JOURNAL
HOME-STYLE FISH BOIL | FOOD CHANNEL
WISCONSIN RECIPES: FISH BOIL, CHEESE SOUP, SHEBOYGAN STYLE BRATS
AT-HOME FISH BOIL RECIPE - SUSAN HERRMANN LOOMIS | FOOD & WINE
HOMESTEADING AT REDTAIL RIDGE: A WISCONSIN FISH BOIL
HOW TO BOIL FISH: 15 STEPS (WITH PICTURES) - WIKIHOW
FISH BOIL RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
DOOR COUNTY FISH BOIL - FOX VALLEY FOODIE
DOOR COUNTY FISH BOIL RECIPE – LAKE MICHIGAN ANGLER A
20 FAVORITE WISCONSIN RECIPES | MIDWEST LIVING
BOILED FISH RECIPES - GLIFWC
REDDIT - DIVE INTO ANYTHING
THE ULTIMATE SEAFOOD BOIL | I HEART RECIPES
FISH BOIL - WIKIPEDIA
TRADITIONAL FISH BOIL – EAT WISCONSIN FISH
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a Wisconsin fish boil?A Wisconsin fish boil is a door county tradition dating back over 100 years. The early settlers used the process of boiling fish to feed large groups at a time. Home
How do you cook fish and potatoes in boiling water?Add 1 cup of salt to the water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 20 minutes. Add onions and boil for 4 minutes more. Add fish and another 1 cup salt, boil for 10 minutes.
How to make fish boil at home?For small at home fish boils one basket is enough for both vegetables and fish. If your pot does not have a basket you can use cheesecloth. Use one cheesecloth pouch to hold the vegetables and another to hold the fish. Add 1 cup of salt to the water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 20 minutes. Add onions and boil for 4 minutes more.
How do you boil whitefish for dinner?Place over open fire or on stove and bring to boil. Add potatoes and 1 pound of salt. When boil resumes, time for 8 minutes. Then add onions wait until boil resumes then time for 2 minutes. Add whitefish and remaining salt. After 14 additional minutes of boiling dinner is ready. Broth may be ladled off prior to serving.