OLD FASHIONED SWEET NINE DAY PICKLES
Love these Sweet Pickles, one of the best sweet pickle recipes in my collection and one of the best I have ever tasted. This is one of those old old recipes shared by a lady that made really great pickles. Very easily made and not as time consuming as it sounds. While modern safety method requirements may call for processing I don't process my pickles as I find it changes the taste and texture, you may do so if you wish. As with many of the old recipes some things just do not enter well ... with this one it's you have to be making up enough of each of the brine solutions to completely cover! NOTE be sure to use non - reactive containers ( stainless steel - unchipped enamel/porcelain, assure all your plastic bowls and containers are food grade)
Provided by Gerry
Yield 4 quarts, 20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- STEP ONE: Cut cucumbers in 1/2 inch pieces or a little larger and place in a crock or large glass container. Bring the soaking brine to a boil, pour over cut cucumbers, cover with a clean cloth and weigh down with a plate. Cover crock with a clean tea towel.
- Let stand three days.
- STEP TWO: Drain, put back in crock and cover with fresh water. There is no salt added to this.
- Let stand two days.
- STEP THREE: Drain and place back in crock.
- Bring the pickle solution with the alum to a boil and simmer two minutes pour over.
- Stand overnight.
- STEP FOUR: Drain and place back in crock. Make Sweet Pickle brine, bring to a boil and pour over. For three days drain this syrup into a large pot and bring to a boil. Pour back over the cucumber slices. The third day once again bring the syrup to a boil. Put pickles into sterilized jars, pour hot brine over and seal.
- I often replace some of the cucumber pieces with cauliflower chunks, making for a mixed sweet pickle.
- Makes about eight pints.
BEST EVER SWEET PICKLES
I pack away homegrown cucumbers every summer. This recipe is based on the pickled veggies in Brown Eggs and Jam Jars by Aimee Wimbush-Bourque, but I've made it less mustardy and more garlicky to fit my family's tastes. This method keeps them incredibly, refreshingly crunchy. -Ellie Martin Cliffe, Taste of Home Digital Deputy Editor
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 pints.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large nonreactive bowl, combine cucumbers, onion and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly., In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, water, vinegars, mustard seed, celery seed and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until heated through., Carefully ladle hot mixture into 4 hot wide-mouth 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Add 3 garlic cloves and 1 bay leaf to each jar. Remove air bubbles and, if necessary, adjust headspace by adding hot pickling liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight. , Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 35 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 175mg sodium, Carbohydrate 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 0 protein.
3 DAY SWEET PICKLES
My Grandmother used to make these pickles when I was a little kid in 1/2 gallon paper milk cartons. I am trying to find her original recipe. I found this one and hope it is close. Let me know how they turn out if you make them before I do. Thanks, Brian
Provided by brian48195
Yield 10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Day 1-3 - Soak pickles in water and salt for 3 days.
- Day 3 - Drain and rinse pickles. Mix 2 cups of vinegar to 1 cup water. Pour over pickles. Bring to boil. Put in jars.
- Mix 3 cups of sugar, 2 cups of vinegar and ½ tsp allspice. Heat. Pour over top of pickles and add a pinch of alum to each jar. Seal.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 272.2, Fat 0.2, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 11330.3, Carbohydrate 65.6, Fiber 0.8, Sugar 62.5, Protein 1
9 DAY PICKLES SWEET AND CRISP BY FREDA
I have made Both 9 day and 14 day pickles, thay are both my favorite Sweet pickles to make. These are very tasty stay crispy, and sweet for Years. Very Easy, even for You beginners. Just be sure you use a glass container Big enough for the Pickles, or a crock, but No metal. I have used gallon jars and crocks, or even a big enamal pot they all work well.
Provided by FREDA GABLE @cookin4me
Number Of Ingredients 10
- add 2 cups salt to 1 gallon boiling water Pour water over whole cukes . Soak Pickles in canning salt water 3 days, in cool spot, then drain. (Weight down pickles under brine with a Plate and a canning Jar filled with water on top if the plate for weight.)
- Soak in clear Fresh water (no salt) 3 more days , changing to fresh water every day. note this = 6 days
- 7th day, Cut into chunks 1" size pickles Simmer in vinegar, add alum, continue to simmer 2 hrs.
- add & Heat remaining ingredients, Sugar, and spices, bring to boil, and pour over chunks of pickles. Drain solution, (do not toss it out) reserve and Bring same solution to a boil for next 3 days and Pour over Pickles . . making a total of 9 days. pack pickles into jars, add liquid, on last day & Seal. Makes approx 7-9 pints depends on how many cukes and size you use. Be sure to use small pickling cukes they are the Best for Pickles.
More about "9 day pickles sweet and crisp by freda recipes"
QUICK NINE DAY SWEET PICKLES - DUNLOP BROTHERS FAMILY …
LUVEY'S EIGHT DAY SWEET PICKLE CHIPS - CATHY BARROW
DELICIOUS & EASY 14-DAY SWEET PICKLE RECIPE : ATTA GIRL …
THE BEST SWEET PICKLE RECIPE - A MODERN HOMESTEAD
CRAVEN COUNTY SWEET PICKLES RECIPE, WHATS COOKING …
EASY SWEET, CRUNCHY PICKLE RECIPE (WITH SECRET SHORTCUT)
CRISP SWEET PICKLE RECIPE - 7 DAY PICKLES - HONEYBUNCH …
THE BEST SWEET PICKLE RECIPE – QUICK, EASY AND DELICIOUS
VIRGINIA CHUNK SWEET PICKLES | FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
9 DAY PICKLES SWEET AND CRISP BY FREDA | RECIPE - PINTEREST
BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES - THAT SKINNY CHICK CAN BAKE
9 DAY PICKLES SWEET AND CRISP BY FREDA | RECIPE | SWEET …
ALLSPICE AND PICKLING SPICE RECIPES (9) - SUPERCOOK
SWEET PICKLES TRADITIONAL NINE DAY - BERNARDIN
OLD FASHIONED SWEET NINE DAY PICKLES RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
9 DAY PICKLES SWEET AND CRISP BY FREDA | RECIPE | PICKLING RECIPES ...
OLD FASHIONED NINE DAY SWEET PICKLES RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
MERLE'S NINE DAY PICKLES - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
9 DAY PICKLES SWEET AND CRISP BY FREDA | SWEET PICKLES …
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
OLD FASHIONED SWEET NINE DAY PICKLES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT …
CRISP SWEET PICKLES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
NINE DAY SWEET PICKLES - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
OVERLAY UNDERLAY RECIPES
MY CUCUMBER RELISH CANNED BY FREDA - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT …
SEVEN-DAY PICKLES – THE FOUNTAIN AVENUE KITCHEN
CUCUMBER CRISP SWEET PICKLES RECIPE CANNING AND PRESERVES
SWEET CHUNK PICKLES CANNING RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
9-DAY SWEET PICKLES - FARM BELL RECIPES
9 DAY PICKLES - OPPORTUNITYZONEHUB.ORG
14 DAY SWEET PICKLES : 8 STEPS - INSTRUCTABLES
CRISPY SWEET PICKLES – WATER BATH OR COLD PACK CANNED
NANNY'S 7 DAY SWEET PICKLES - GRUMPY'S HONEYBUNCH
10 MINUTE FRIDGE PICKLES - SWEET CS DESIGNS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make pickles for 9 days?How to Make 9 day Pickles Sweet and Crisp By freda. Soak in clear Fresh water (no salt) 3 more days , changing to fresh water every day. Simmer in vinegar, add alum, continue to simmer 2 hrs. Drain solution, (do not toss it out) reserve and Bring same solution to a boil for next 3 days and Pour over Pickles . . making a total of 9 days.
What are crisp sweet pickles?Sweet and tangy homemade pickles made in a crock over a 7 day time frame. Crisp Sweet Pickle Recipe was first seen on Grumpy's Honeybunch as Nanny's 7 Day Sweet Pickles where I am an author. This recipe for Crisp Sweet Pickles are a crunchy dark green pickle with a sweet and tangy vinegar bite.
How do you make sweet pickles with cucumbers?Pour back over the cucumber slices. The third day once again bring the syrup to a boil. Put pickles into sterilized jars, pour hot brine over and seal. I often replace some of the cucumber pieces with cauliflower chunks, making for a mixed sweet pickle.
How to make pickles in a crock pot?Pour sugar over top of cucumbers and toss to coat. Let sit at least 2 hours. Heat reserved cucumber juice until scalding. Pack pickles into hot sterilized jars. Pour hot cucumber juice over top of pickles. Cover and seal. Tried this recipe? Let us know how it was! Sweet and tangy homemade pickles made in a crock over a 7 day time frame.