APPLE FILLING FOR PIES
After just making this again I think some may find the filling too thick so I am changing the instructions to say 2-4 tablespoons of cornstarch. We like our apples diced so it takes 3-4 large apples to achieve 4 cups. I also used the micro.this time stirring every couple minutes. No chance of burning on the bottom that way.
Provided by Dorel
Yield 1 9inch pie, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Sprinkle lemon juice over apples in saucepan.
- Mix next four ingredients together and add to apples.
- Mix well.
- Add very hot juice to pan, (I microwave juice for 2 minutes) cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Fill a well chilled 9 inch pastry lined pan and cover with top crust.
- Bake on lowest rack at 425* for 10 minutes, and finish baking on center rack until bubbling, about 20 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 105.2, Fat 0.2, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 2.3, Carbohydrate 27.1, Fiber 1.8, Sugar 22.1, Protein 0.2
APPLE PIE FILLING
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. Pour water into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl; add to water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into 5 freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 1/2 hours.
- Seal and freeze. Can be stored for up to 12 months.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 129.2 calories, Carbohydrate 33.4 g, Fat 0.1 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 0.2 g, Sodium 60.8 mg, Sugar 28.4 g
I remember coming home sullen one day because we'd lost a softball game. Grandma, in her wisdom, suggested, "Maybe a slice of my homemade apple pie will make you feel better." One bite, and Grandma was right. If you want to learn how to make homemade apple pie filling, this is really the only recipe you need. -Maggie Greene, Granite Falls, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat. , On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge loosely with foil. , Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 414 calories, Fat 16g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 14mg cholesterol, Sodium 227mg sodium, Carbohydrate 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
APPLE PIE FILLING
My family is always delighted to see an oven-fresh pie cooling on the counter. What a convenience it is to have jars of homemade freezer apple pie filling on hand so I can treat them to pies year-round. -Laurie Mace, Los Osos, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5-1/2 quarts (enough for about five 9-inch pies).
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add water; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add apples; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes. , Ladle into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1-1/2 hours. Seal and freeze; store up to 12 months.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 128 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 60mg sodium, Carbohydrate 33g carbohydrate (28g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 0 protein.
FRESH APPLE PIE
There's nothing better than the smell of the fresh apple pie baking in the oven. It signifies the start of cozy fall days, and it's the ultimate dessert to kick off the season. This recipe uses Betty's pie crust mix so you can skip chilling your pastry dough and get right to the baking part-meaning less time waiting around for pie and more time eating it! Apple pie is best served warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oven to 425°F. Make pie crust mix as directed for 9-Inch Two-Crust Pie, using 1/3 cup cold water--except trim overhanging edge of bottom pastry 1 inch from rim of plate.
- Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Add apples; toss. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter.
- Roll remaining pastry; cut into 10 strips, each about 1/2 inch wide. Place 5 strips across filling in pie plate. Weave a cross-strip through by first folding back every other strip of the first 5 strips. Continue weaving, folding back alternate strips before adding each cross-strip, until lattice is complete. Trim ends. Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust over ends of strips, building up a high edge. Seal and flute. Brush lightly with milk; sprinkle lightly with additional sugar.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 320, Carbohydrate 46 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Fat 2 1/2, Fiber 2 g, Protein 3 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 300 mg
APPLE PIE FILLING
Many apple pies call for simply tossing cut apples with sugar, adding a thickening agent and some spices, and plopping it all into a crust. But precooking the apples has multiple advantages: First, it draws out some of their juices, to ensure consistency. (No undercooked apples or runny filling here!) And, second, it prevents the filling from sinking away from the crust as it cools, leaving a pocket of air between filling and crust. Use this all-purpose filling in a traditional pie, tiny hand-held pies, or in a cobbler. It can be made several days ahead, leaving just assembling and baking.
Provided by Erin Jeanne McDowell
Categories pies and tarts, dessert
Yield 6 cups (enough for 1 9-inch pie)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples, tossing to coat in the butter. Add lemon juice, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the apples start to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and flour. Add to the pot and stir well to combine. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Let the filling cool completely before using. (You can speed this process up by spreading it into an even layer on a baking sheet.) The filling will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons brown sugar in a large skillet over high heat. When butter is melted and bubbling, add half the apples. Sprinkle apples with 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and slightly golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons sugar in skillet. Add remaining apples and cinnamon. Cook according to step 1. Transfer cooked apples to same large bowl. Stir in lemon juice. Cool completely before using for cookies.
QUICK APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE
A homemade filling that tastes much better than store bought. I use the recipe with apples grown by friends or try using a tart apple such as Granny Smith.
Provided by Cullinaryjudge
Yield 1 quart
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Combine apples and sugar in large saucepan.
- Let stand until juice begins to release.
- Stir as you bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Mix in tapioca, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Boil hard for 1 minute more.
- Pack into hot sterilized quart jar to within 1/2 inch from top.
- Place sterilized metal lid on the jar and screw metal band on securely.
- Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- Repeat for as many jars as you like.
- Makes 1 quart; enough for 1-9 inch pie.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1198.4, Fat 1.1, SaturatedFat 0.2, Sodium 131.3, Carbohydrate 312, Fiber 15.8, Sugar 281.4, Protein 1.7
More about "apple pie filling recipes"
MAKING APPLE PIE FILLING - ALLRECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- We used eight medium Granny Smith apples and a mixture of 2/3 of a cup sugar, 1/3 of a cup all-purpose flour, and one tablespoon of cinnamon to make Emily's Famous Apple Pie filling.
- Use a peeler or paring knife to peel the apples. If you have an apple corer, use it while the apple is still whole. Cut the apple in half to remove the seeds, blossom end, and stem.
- Use a melon baller, spoon, or paring knife to remove the seeds and hard flesh of the core. If you used an apple corer, remove any remaining bits of core with your paring knife.
- Cut the apples into even slices no more than ¼ of an inch thick. If you like a chunkier pie, cut the apples into ½-inch cubes. To ensure the apples bake evenly and completely, the fruit pieces should be cut to the same size.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the sugar-flour-spice mixture. If you're using a sweeter variety of apple, add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to brighten the flavor.
- Top the pie with a crumb topping, a lattice crust, or a full crust, as desired, and bake as directed.
HOMEMADE APPLE PIE FILLING - CRAZY FOR CRUST
10 BEST APPLE DESSERT WITH APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPES
PERFECT APPLE PIE RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
PERFECT APPLE PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
20 APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPES - FAST AND FUN MEALS
APPLE PIE RECIPE WITH THE BEST FILLING (VIDEO)
EASY APPLE PIE FILLING - EVERYDAY PIE
4.9/5 (79)Estimated Reading Time 7 minsServings 6Total Time 35 mins
- Add apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a heavy bottom pot. Stir together and let macerate at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Add ¾ cup of apple cider to the pot, and stir the apples one more time.
- Turn the heat to medium and begin to cook the apples, stirring occasionally to make sure the apples cook evenly. Cook until the apples have softened, about 10 minutes, making sure not to cook off all of the liquid. If the liquid does cook off quickly, add ⅓ cup more apple cider to the pot.
- Create a slurry by whisking together the cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons apple cider together in a small bowl.
- Pour the cornstarch slurry into apples and stir together until dissolved. Continue cooking until the mixture is thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
BEST HOMEMADE APPLE PIE FILLING | SWEET TEA + THYME
EASY HOMEMADE APPLE PIE FILLING - OH SWEET BASIL
10 BEST APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPES | YUMMLY
APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
EASY APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE | HOMEMADE FOOD JUNKIE
APPLE PIE FILLING - JO COOKS
11 DROOL-WORTHY RECIPES USING APPLE PIE FILLING
HOW TO USE APPLE PIE FILLING - PILLSBURY.COM
HOMEMADE APPLE PIE WITH THE BEST FILLING EVER! - COOKIES AND CUPS
PERFECT APPLE PIE FILLING - I AM BAKER
10+ RECIPES USING APPLE PIE FILLING - HOMEMADE IN THE …
APPLE PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
HOMEMADE APPLE PIE - BEST RECIPE FOR APPLE PIE
20 RECIPES USING CANNED PIE FILLING WILL MAKE YOUR DESSERT-PREP …
STOVETOP APPLE PIE FILLING - THE YUMMY BOWL
APPLE PIE FILLING - CULINARY HILL
THE BEST APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE - CRYSTALIA HOME & KITCHEN
APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE FILLING - BUTTER WITH A SIDE OF BREAD
APPLE PIE FILLING (EASY MAKE-AHEAD RECIPE) | KITCHN
APPLE PIE RECIPE WITH COOKED FILLING - THERESCIPES.INFO
APPLE PIE FILLING (MADE ON THE STOVETOP!) - SPEND WITH PENNIES
THE BEST GROCERY STORE APPLE PIE FILLINGS | MYRECIPES
APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE (CANNING DIRECTIONS INCLUDED) - DINNER, …
APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE - KAY CHUN | FOOD & WINE
APPLE PIE FILLING - DINNER AT THE ZOO
HOMEMADE APPLE FRITTERS RECIPE (WITH FRESH APPLES OR PIE FILLING)
CLASSIC APPLE PIE WITH PRECOOKED APPLE FILLING - COOKING FOR MY …
APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS – HOWTOBBQRIGHT
HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE WITH APPLE PIE FILLING - LOAVES AND DISHES
SUPER EASY INSTANT POT APPLE PIE FILLING - BAKE ME SOME SUGAR
APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE – SIMPLY SOUTHERN MOM
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #5-ingredients-or-less #pies-and-tarts #desserts #fruit #easy #diabetic #pies #dietary #inexpensive #apples
You'll also love