The mead you make with this recipe will reflect the qualities of the honey you use. Consult our guide to mead and consider using a first-rate varietal honey. Because mead is fairly high in alcohol (10- to 12-percent by volume), I recommend 12-ouncebottles over 22-ounce ones.
Yield Makes about five gallons, which should fill 53 twelve-ounce bottles.
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Note on equipment:
- Making mead requires essentially the same basic kit necessary to brew beer at home: primary and secondary plastic-bucket fermenters with air locks and spigots, transfer hosing, a bottle-filler tube, heavy bottles, bottle caps, bottle capper, and a bottle brush and washer. You should be able to find these items for approximately $70 total (excluding the bottles) through a home-brewing supplier, such as The Home Brewery. Bottles cost from $6 to $20 per dozen, depending on style. You might instead buy a couple of cases of beer in returnable bottles, drink the beer, and - after sanitizing them! - reuse those bottles, for the cost of the deposit.
- All your equipment must be sanitized or sterilized before use. Ordinary unscented household bleach does the job fine. Put all the equipment (including the lid and stirring spoons) into the fermentation bucket, fill with water, and add 2 teaspoons of unscented bleach. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Drain the water through the spigot, rinse everything in hot water, and allow to air-dry.
- Bring the 4 1/2 gallons of water to a boil. Well water, by the way, should be avoided because of potentially high levels of strong tasting minerals like iron. Boiling should remove harsh chlorine from municipal tap water. If you don't own a pot large enough to hold five gallons of water, boil as much as possible. You will add the remaining water to the fermenter later.
- Once the water reaches a boil, remove it from the heat and stir in all of the honey. Do not boil the honey, as it reduces the aromatic quality of the finished mead.
- While the honey dissolves in the water, put a cup of lukewarm (90 to 100°F) water into a clean bowl. Sprinkle in the yeast and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. When the honey has been fully dissolved in the water and the pot is cool to the touch (not over 80°F), pour the honey-water into the fermentation bucket and stir in the yeast mixture. Note: Cooling the honey-water should take about half an hour. This process can be accelerated with a so-called sink bath, that is, repeatedly immersing the pot in cold water in a sink or basin.
- If you have not already added the full 4 1/2 gallons of water, top it off with the balance in bottled water (or tap water if you're confident of its quality).
- Seal the bucket and allow the mixture to ferment for two weeks to one month. The progress of fermentation can judged by monitoring the carbon-dioxide bubbles escaping from the air lock: When they drop to one bubble every sixty seconds, fermentation has nearly concluded. Note that is only an issue during this primary fermentation; secondary fermentation has more to do with aging and mellowing and hence is more flexible. When primary fermentation has subsided, siphon the mead over to your secondary fermentation bucket and seal it. Allow one to four months aging time. Do not open the fermenter, as this risks contaminating the mead.
- When you decide it has matured enough (and the mead has cleared), you will want to siphon it into sterilized bottles and cap them. Follow the same procedure as you would for home-brewed beer. My book Beer for Dummies has a detailed guide in its Chapter Ten, or consult the web site of the American Homebrewers Association.
- Keep in mind that this is a recipe for still (i.e., non-carbonated) mead.
- Mead typically improves with age, so the longer you can wait to open the bottles, the better.
More about "basic mead recipes"
HOW TO MAKE MEAD: HOMEMADE HONEY MEAD RECIPE …
Instructions. Simmer ½ gallon of water until warm. Add honey: 2 pounds for a dry mead or 3 pounds for a sweet mead. Stir until dissolved. Simmer (don't boil) for about 30 minutes, skimming off any scum that forms. Remove from heat and …
HOW TO MAKE MEAD: PLUS 5 EASY & DELICIOUS MEAD …
2015-07-01 Step One – Empty the wine and honey into a large saucepan. Heat this up gently being sure to stir the mixture frequently until a scum forms on the top of the mixture. Step Two – Scrape the scum off and chuck it away. Step …
TRADITIONAL MEAD RECIPE METHOD FROM A BEEKEEPER
2019-07-20 Crush 3 Camden tablets in 4 litres of water and rinse all equipment. This includes mixing containers, fermenting bottles and storage bottles. Next, start your yeast in starter jar. Place 1 tablespoon of honey in a jar with one …
HOW TO MAKE MEAD AT HOME [EASY GUIDE] | HOMEBREW …
2020-11-20 Mead, an alcoholic beverage, is somewhat easy to make. You just need to ferment honey with water to get started. You can also mix it with fruits, spices, grains or hops. The drink has around 8% and 20% alcohol by volume. …
ALMOST OFF GRID MEAD RECIPE FOR BEGINNERS
2021-05-25 Instructions. 1. Sterilise all equipment. 2. Scrub the orange and lemon clean under cold, running water. 3. Heat about 2 litres of water in a saucepan until warm, then dissolve the honey in the water. 4. Whilst allowing …
EASY 1 GALLON OF MEAD – VIKING SMASH BREWING
Shake the mixture for about 10 minutes to make sure it’s aerated. Now pour the yeast into the mix. Place the rubber bung in the opening of the carboy. Fill the airlock with water about half way. Place the airlock on top. Put the carboy in a …
ONE GALLON HOMEMADE MEAD RECIPE - SIMPLE AND …
A delicious, simple mead recipe that'll get you making mead (or honey wine) just like the vikings did way back when! by Brewsy Recipe Team wed, aug 26, 20 Scroll to Recipe. tags: all Featured mead other drinks When you make mead, …
10 OF THE BEST MEAD RECIPES - LIFEHACK
3. Cyser Apple Mead. This recipe notes that “cyser” is a combination of honey and apple cider, which to me sounds like a match made in heaven. And, ironically enough, this just happens to be a drink that was supremely popular during …
TRADITIONAL MEAD RECIPE - MEDIUM BODIED SHOW MEAD
2018-01-03 Mead Recipe Method. 1. In the fermenting bucket add half the water and then stir in all of the honey to thoroughly mix add the yeast nutrient and then the rest of the water and once again stir to thoroughly mix. You can take …
HOW TO MAKE MEAD (HONEY WINE) - PRACTICAL SELF …
2019-12-27 The Big Book of Mead Recipes ~ Includes 60 mead recipes from basic batches to experimental meads. Making Wild Meads and Wines: 125 Recipes Using Herbs, Fruits, Flowers and More ~ The title says it all. I got this …
HOW TO MAKE MEAD – A BASIC MEAD RECIPE | THE EALY …
2021-01-16 Mix all of your honey with about half of the water. No need to heat it up to do this. Stir and let the honey dissolve. Then pour into your carboy using a funnel. Add the rest of the …
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
TRADITIONAL SHOW MEAD RECIPE | MEADIST
2013-01-06 Directions. Add 4 gallons of 80 degree water to a 5 gallon carboy or food-grade plastic bucket. Add the honey while stirring, swirling, or shaking until all honey is dissolved and …
BASIC MEAD RECIPE | EPICURIOUS.COM | RECIPE CART
12 to 18 pounds of grade-A honey 4 1/2 gallons of tap or bottled water 8 grams (1/4 ounce) of freeze-dried wine, champagne, or dedicated mead yeast 12 to 18 pounds of grade-A honey 4 …
HONEY MEAD RECIPE (AN EASY ONE-GALLON RECIPE) - FERMENTERS …
2 days ago People have been making and enjoying mead for thousands of years, and the simple recipe has hardly changed. I’ll walk you through your first time making your ancient …
BASIC MEAD RECIPE (HONEY WINE) - FOOD NEWS
With easy to understand directions, and simple recipes for all types of honey wine, Making Your Own Mead provides a great reference to novice and expert meadmakers alike!--Robert Rivelle …
EASY VIKING MEAD RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE MEAD STEP BY STEP
Easy Viking Mead Recipe Viking mead ingredients – honey, water and yeast. Unpasteurised natural honey contains wild yeast and Vikings created mead by mixing honey with spring …
BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING MEAD - ALMOST OFF GRID
2019-03-13 These are the steps for making a simple, still mead: Mix honey and water together in a container of choice, whether that be bucket or demijohn. Add mead yeast and some sort …
HOW TO MAKE MEAD: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE - DIY MEAD
1. Introduction and High-Level Overview. As mentioned above, the basic process of making mead is straightforward. To start, combine water, honey and yeast to start a process called …
EASY VIKING MEAD RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE MEAD STEP BY STEP
By following our recipe, you can make 4.5 liters of mead. But if you wish, you can adapt the quantities to make less or more. But be sure that you have large enough containers and large …
HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE MEAD — MAN MADE MEAD
Steps to make a mead: 1.) Sanitize everything extremely well! (Use StarSan or equivalent brewing sanitizer) 2.) Mix your ingredients . 3.) Take a gravity reading and write down all mead …
1 GALLON MEAD RECIPE - HIDDEN LEGEND WINERY
Put 4 cups of hot water in your 2-gallon fermenter, measure out about 2 ¾ lbs of honey and mix with the warm water in your bucket. Add 8 cups of cold water and stir. Put must (honey and …
MAN MADE MEAD RECIPES
Blueberry Mead Recipe. 1 Gallon of Spring Water (Another good option is to use 1/2 Gallon of Water & 1/2 Gallon of Blueberry Juice if you have it) 3 Pounds of any honey. 2 Grams Lalvin …
EASY MEAD : 10 STEPS (WITH PICTURES) - INSTRUCTABLES
When in reality, they had some commercial Mead that isn't made anything like the way it's traditionally made. If you've ever tasted real Mead, made the real way, it's totally worth it. …
MEAD RECIPES – EASY MEAD
Mead Recipes / By Easy Mead. Viking Blod (or Blood) Mead is one of the most popular first time mead recipes for many beginners that are looking to make a flavored mead. This is probably …
HOW TO MAKE QUICK MEAD THE EASY WAY - SEED TO PANTRY SCHOOL
Again, make sure to air dry. First, prepare your yeast. Heat the orange juice to about 95°F – 100°F, add the yeast, cover the container and shake well. Leave it loosely capped for about 20 …
50+ MEAD RECIPES FOR HOMEMADE HONEY WINE - PRACTICAL SELF …
2022-01-04 Mead Recipes. The basic process for making mead is the same regardless of the type of mead you choose. If you’re a beginner, I’ve written a guide that explains in detail how …
BASIC SEMI-SWEET MEAD - THE COOK'S COOK
4. Once you’ve mixed in your initial ingredients, set the vessel in a warm (15–27° C or 60–80° F) dark room, and stir the must vigorously for a couple of minutes several times a day. This …
BASIC METHEGLIN RECIPE : MEAD
The Real Housewives of Atlanta The Bachelor Sister Wives 90 Day Fiance Wife Swap The Amazing Race Australia Married at First Sight The Real Housewives of Dallas My 600-lb Life …
HOW TO MAKE MEAD | BBC GOOD FOOD
Step 2: Making the mead. These instructions produce a light session mead at around 4%, this means we’re going to start with 150g of honey per litre (so for 5 litres that’s 750g). Add 5 litres …
Easy Mead Guide. Start with a simple tried and true mead recipe and learn about fermentation . Equipment. Find the right equipment from beginner kits to advanced nerd gear . Recipes & …
BASIC MEAD RECIPE (HONEY WINE) : 7 STEPS - INSTRUCTABLES
Step 3: Primary Fermintation. Now that everything is clean, you are ready to start brewing. In a large pot on the stove heat your honey and water until the honey dissolves.You will want to …
MEAD RECIPES - AMERICAN HOMEBREWERS ASSOCIATION
Mead Recipes. Mead, a honey-based wine, is easy to mix up at home and add to your repertoire of fermentations. Browse through all mead recipes, including traditional mead, pyment, cyser, …
YOUR FIRST TRADITIONAL MEAD RECIPE - YOU TO BREW
2021-10-11 For your first mead, I will step you through a basic traditional mead recipe skeleton, then give you a fully written example recipe. Feel free to use this as a template for your own …
SIMPLE 5 GALLON MEAD RECIPE FOR HOMEBREWERS - SOUND BREWERY
2022-03-12 Pour the mixture into the plastic bucket. Use a large spoon to stir the honey water for about 5 minutes. If there isn’t 5 gallons in the bucket, add non-chlorinated water until it …
HOW TO MAKE MEAD LIKE A VIKING! - ADVENTURES IN HOMEBREWING
2018-09-10 For more detailed instructions and good basic recipes, try the website Got Mead or books like Ken Schramm’s Nicole Totino-Clark on June 24, 2020 at 11:47 am said: Hello!
HOW TO MAKE EASY MEAD - TWO THIRSTY GARDENERS
Add approx 3lb of honey (three medium-sized jars) to a litre of water and warm carefully on your stove until dissolved. Its important not to over do it on the heating, as hot honey burns like …
HOW TO MAKE MEAD: 15 STEPS (WITH PICTURES) - WIKIHOW
2021-05-17 1. Mix 1 US gal (3.8 L) of water and 3 lb (1.4 kg) of honey in your bucket or carboy. The first stage of making mead is a mixture called a "must." Bring the water to a boil in a large …
SIMPLE TRADITIONAL MEAD - HOW TO MAKE A BASIC DRY MEAD
How to make a Basic Dry Mead Recipe. Traditional Mead is honey wine, made with honey, water and yeast. There are thousands of way... Traditional Mead is honey wine, made with …
MEAD – 5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW (AND A RECIPE)
2019-07-04 Basic Semi-Sweet Mead Recipe. This traditional mead recipe is adapted from “Make Mead Like a Viking: Traditional Techniques for Brewing Natural, Wild-Fermented, …
STANDARD MEAD HOMEBREW RECIPES - AMERICAN HOMEBREWERS …
Strong, Sweet, Simple Mead. Standard Mead Strong, Sweet, Simple Mead. ABV: 14-14.5%. OG: 1.146 (33.4°P) FG: 1.036 (9°P) SAVE RECIPE Login or join to save this recipe. Mark as …
BASIC MEAD RECIPE | GOTMEAD - THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF MEAD …
New posts New blog entries Latest activity. Blogs. New entries Blog list Search blogs
PART III: THE BASIC MEAD RECIPE - MEADMAKR
If using a single 5 g packet of yeast and 7.5 g of Go-Ferm, you will need 150 mL of water, or a little more than a half cup. Heat the water to at least 120 degrees F. Add your Go-Ferm. When …
BASIC MEAD RECIPE
So I’m looking into trying to make my own mead, going to start with a basic 1 gallon kit off of Amazon. That being said, does anyone have a basic “base” recipe that they like that I can …
HOW TO MAKE 1-GALLON MEAD: A GUIDE TO SMALL-BATCH BREWING
2021-02-14 Once you blended the mixture thoroughly, let it cool for ten minutes or so. Use the funnel to pour the must into the one-gallon glass jug. Add the remaining cool water (1/3 gallon) …
BASIC MEAD RECIPE (HONEY WINE) | MEAD RECIPE, HONEY WINE, …
Oct 6, 2019 - Basic Mead Recipe (Honey Wine): An ancient drink made by fermenting honey and water. This recipe is very basic and easy for a beginning brewer. This recipe is for a 5 gallon …
HOW TO MAKE YOUR FIRST MEAD (BEGINNER MEAD MAKING MADE EASY)
2021-07-30 Mix until it’s totally blended, and mix for two more minutes to be sure. I’m not even kidding. Add more water, but leave 4-5 inches of space between the opening of the fermenter …
You'll also love