BARLEY LENTIL SOUP
Canadian Living recently featured a an article promoting recipes rich in grains. This soup looked so comforting and satisfying, I knew that as autumn arrived it would be the perfect meal. Submitted for 'Zaar World Tour.
Provided by justcallmetoni
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In large saucepan or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, marjoram and pepper until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, water, lentils and barley to the pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in chopped parsley before serving.
- To serve, top each serving with a dollop of yogurt. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.
BARLEY, LENTIL AND MUSHROOM SOUP
This is a hearty soup made with whole grains and mushrooms simmered in a beef broth. It goes great with a crusty bread and salad.
Provided by Diana Hagewood Smith
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until onions are limp, but not brown, about 5 minutes. Mix in the celery and carrot; cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the barley and lentils so they are coated with oil, continue to cook and stir until lightly toasted.
- Pour in the beef broth and season with thyme, parsley, pepper and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Add the porcini mushrooms, cover and simmer for 25 minutes over low heat. Add the button mushroom, cover and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in sherry during the last 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 265.4 calories, Carbohydrate 33 g, Fat 8.9 g, Fiber 10.3 g, Protein 14 g, SaturatedFat 1.5 g, Sodium 106.7 mg, Sugar 3.7 g
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP
Start this in the slow cooker before heading out to work and come home on a cold winter afternoon to the wonderful aroma of hot, hearty beef barley soup. Yum--what a treat. From Tasteofhome.com
Provided by Ellen Bales
Categories Vegetable Soup
Number Of Ingredients 12
- 1. Put the meat into a 5-qt. slow cooker. Layer with onion, potatoes, celery, carrots, lentils, and barley.
- 2. Combine the water, bouillon, salt and lemon pepper; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- 3. Add the tomatoes; cook 2 hours longer.
- 4. Can use ground beef instead of stew beef. Brown beef with onion before putting in slow cooker. If you have to leave for more than 6 hours, you could add the tomatoes at the start, but use chopped tomatoes instead of stewed.
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP
I serve this soup often to family and friends on cold nights, along with homemade rolls and a green salad. For variety, you can substitute jicama for the potatoes. -Judy Metzentine, The Dalles, Oregon
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10 servings (about 3-3/4 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. , Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Layer with the potatoes, celery, carrot, lentils and barley. Combine the water, bouillon and lemon pepper; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender. , Add the tomatoes and salt; cook 2 hours longer.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 232 calories, Fat 4g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 28mg cholesterol, Sodium 603mg sodium, Carbohydrate 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
LENTIL SOUP WITH BEEF AND BARLEY
Source: a very old issue of Canadian Living. A thick, flavourful, and inexpensive soup for the upcoming cold weather!
Provided by Atomic Girl Cooks
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In large, heavy pot, brown beef lightly.
- Drain off fat.
- Add lentils, barley, water or stock, and beef broth.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until lentils and barley are nearly tender (about half an hour).
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add extra liquid to give thickness desired.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 128.7, Fat 2.5, SaturatedFat 0.8, Cholesterol 12.5, Sodium 299.6, Carbohydrate 17.6, Fiber 6.4, Sugar 3.1, Protein 9.6
LENTIL SOUP WITH BEEF
- Heat the oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Add half of the beef and cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining beef. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, and oregano to the pot. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juices from the bowl to the pot. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juice. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the meat is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Add the lentils. Cover and continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
More about "beef barley lentil soup recipes"
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE : GLORIOUS SOUP RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 40 secs
BEEF MUSHROOM LENTIL SOUP RECIPE FROM A GOUDA LIFE
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
LENTIL AND BARLEY SOUP - RECIPES 'R' SIMPLE
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
10 BEST GROUND BEEF LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
LENTIL BEEF BARLEY SOUP - RECIPES AT MY TABLE
BEEF & LENTIL SOUP | RECIPETIN EATS
Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
- Saute onion & garlic: Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes until golden on the edges.
- Brown & spice beef: Turn heat up to high, add beef and cook until it's no longer red, breaking it up as you go. Add 2 tablespoons of the Spice Mix and cook it for a further 2 minutes - it will smell so good!
- Carrot & celery: Add carrot and celery, then stir for 1 minute. (If using your own veg mix, add the veg in this step that will hold up to full 25 min simmer time)
LENTIL-BARLEY SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leek to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add broth, 1 cup water, and beer; bring to a boil. Add chopped carrot and next 8 ingredients (through bay leaves); return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in lentils; cover and cook 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Place 1 1/2 cups broth mixture in a blender. Remove the center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan, and stir in salt. Return mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
RECIPE FOR SLOW COOKER BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP WITH LENTILS ...
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
14 PIONEER WOMAN SOUP RECIPES
Author Ree DrummondEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
SLOW COOKER BARLEY & LENTIL SOUP - SWANSON
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP - SLOW COOKER RECIPE - YOUTUBE
BEEF SOUP RECIPE : BEEF: BEST DANGED BEEF POT ROAST CROCK ...
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP - PRINTER FRIENDLY - ALLRECIPES.COM
INA GARTEN BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPES
LENTIL SPLIT PEA SOUP - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - HOME | FACEBOOK
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - POSTS | FACEBOOK
BEEF BARLEY LENTIL SOUP (SLOW COOKER) RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
CROCK POT LENTIL VEGETABLE BARLEY SOUP RECIPE 425
VEGETABLE BEEF BARLEY SOUP – ROSE REISMAN
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook barley and lentils for Soup?In large saucepan or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, marjoram and pepper until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add stock, water, lentils and barley to the pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
How long to cook lentils in soup?Directions. Pour in the chicken broth, tomatoes, and browned beef. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the meat is beginning to turn tender, about 1 hour. After the soup has simmered 1 hour, add the lentils, recover, and continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
How do you cook Chard and lentils in soup?Continue to simmer, covered, until the lentils and barley are tender, 25-30 min. Add the chard to the soup, cover and simmer until the chard is tender, about 5 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Thin the soup with more broth or water, if desired. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
What to serve with barley soup?The beef gets nice and tender in short amount of time. Serve this barley soup with crusty bread. You can add other veggies if you like, I went with just onions and carrots. But you can add celery or green beans or anything else that you like.