My mother used to make this hearty soup from her garden's bountiful crop of beets and other vegetables. -Ruth Andrewson, Leavenworth, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a saucepan, bring the beets, carrots, onion, water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add broth, cabbage and butter; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice. If desired, top each serving with sour cream and chives or dill.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 48 calories, Fat 2g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 4mg cholesterol, Sodium 375mg sodium, Carbohydrate 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
BEET & CABBAGE BORSCHT
Beets are a health-building powerhouse and combined with all the other vegetables, this is antioxidant heaven. If the beet greens look good, I sometimes add them in as well. And you can use tomato puree or sauce in place of the Pomi. Soups are flexible that way. Being Polish, we always stir in a little sour cream when serving. - Jenny Jones
Yield 6 - 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large pot, cook and stir the onion and celery in hot oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.
BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT
- In a large saucepan cook the onion in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is softened, add the garlic, the cuminseed, the cabbage, and the potato, and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth, 1/2 cup water, the beets with the reserved liquid, the vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer the soup, covered partially, for 25 minutes. Divide the soup between 2 bowls and garnish it with the sour cream and the dill.
BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT
- Place the chicken stock, wine, cabbage, beets and onion in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper. (This can be prepared ahead, cooled, covered and set aside at cool room temperature for several hours or refrigerated for several days.) To serve, remove from the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving if presenting chilled. Simmer over medium-high heat to reheat if presenting warm. Ladle into 4 soup bowls. Spoon on a generous dollop of yogurt. Serve immediately.
BEET & CABBAGE BORSCH
- Brown beef in oil in a large pot.
- Add beets, onions.
- Add beef stock.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, celery and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook until just tender.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and heat through.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- The soup is perfect when the sweet taste of the beets is slightly altered by the sour taste of the lemon juice.
- Garnish with sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh dill.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 172.9, Fat 5.2, SaturatedFat 2, Cholesterol 21.9, Sodium 860.4, Carbohydrate 19.3, Fiber 4.4, Sugar 8.4, Protein 13.7
BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, cabbage and onion and sauté until cabbage softens, about 5 minutes. Add 8 cups broth, beets and tomatoes. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Working in small batches, puree 4 cups of soup in blender; return to remaining soup in pot. If desired, add more broth by 1/2 cupfuls to thin soup. Add lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with dollop of sour cream; sprinkle with parsley. Serve, passing lemon wedges separately.
RUSSIAN CABBAGE BORSCHT
An elderly lady residing in Turkey served this to a friend of ours while he was in that country several years ago. She has since passed away, but her recipe lives on. It is the best Borscht recipe I've ever enjoyed. Serve topped with sour cream, extra dill weed, chopped fresh tomatoes.
Provided by Puma
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Place sliced potatoes and beets in a medium saucepan over high heat; cover with stock, and boil until vegetables are tender. Remove potatoes and beets with a slotted spoon, and reserve stock.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, caraway seeds, and salt; cook until onions become soft and translucent. Then stir in celery, carrots, and cabbage. Mix in reserved stock; cook, covered, until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and beets to the skillet. Season with black pepper and dill weed. Stir in cider vinegar, honey, and tomato puree. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer at least 30 minutes. Serve topped with sour cream, extra dill weed, and chopped fresh tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 127.7 calories, Carbohydrate 19.8 g, Cholesterol 10.8 mg, Fat 5 g, Fiber 3.7 g, Protein 3 g, SaturatedFat 2.9 g, Sodium 908 mg, Sugar 8.6 g
This tastes great on a cold day and is very filling with just a bun or crusty bread. I received this at an auction in a bunch of hand written recipes.
Provided by marjorie knight
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Put all ingredients in water, in large pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Let sit overnight in refrigerator,this improves the flavor.
- Remove bay leaf and then reheat.
- This freezes well.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 130.8, Fat 2.2, SaturatedFat 1.3, Cholesterol 5.1, Sodium 175.3, Carbohydrate 26.6, Fiber 4.7, Sugar 16, Protein 3.2
BEEF AND BEET BORSCHT
It was this soup that started my lifelong love of adding sour cream to things. The way the tangy, rich cream melts into the hot, beefy broth is a wonder to behold.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Cook beef shank in a large soup pot over high heat until browned, about 3 minutes per side; add water, onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf to the pot, bring to a simmer and cook until meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 4 hours. Strain broth and discard solids.
- Combine beef broth, beets, and cabbage in a large soup pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add vinegar, salt, and black pepper.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and dill.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 137.7 calories, Carbohydrate 12 g, Cholesterol 21.3 mg, Fat 7.8 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 5.9 g, SaturatedFat 4.4 g, Sodium 95.7 mg, Sugar 6.3 g
More about "beet and cabbage borscht recipes"
BEETROOT AND CABBAGE SOUP (BORSCHT) RECIPE- COOKITSIMPLY.COM
10 BEST CABBAGE BORSCHT SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
BEEF, BEET & CABBAGE BORSCHT – ANDREW ZIMMERN
CLASSIC BORSCHT RECIPE (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
BEEF AND CABBAGE BORSCHT | CANADIAN LIVING
SIMPLE BORSCHT RECIPE (INSTANT POT OR STOVE TOP!)
BEET-CABBAGE BORSCHT SOUP - A MEAL IN MIND
BORSCHT RECIPE (RUSSIAN-STYLE BEET SOUP)
BEET CABBAGE BORSCHT ONE OF THE WORLD'S GREAT SOUPS – HEARTY ...
QUICK BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT | EPICURE.COM
BORSCHT RECIPE (ICONIC SOUP MADE EASY!) - VIKALINKA
BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT, POLISH SOUP RECIPE | JENNY CAN COOK
CABBAGE, BEET AND TURNIP BORSCHT — REAL GOOD GREENS
BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
BEEF, BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT RECIPE - ANDREW ZIMMERN | FOOD …
UKRAINIAN BORSCHT RECIPE - BEET CABBAGE SOUP » …
BORSCHT WITH CABBAGE AND BEETS RECIPE
BORSCHT - A PERFECT SOUP RECIPE FOR BEETS AND CABBAGE
RUSSIAN BORSCHT RECIPE - BEETS CABBAGE SOUP / THE BIG APPLE MAMA
BEET, CABBAGE & MUSHROOM BORSCHT | WILLIAMS SONOMA
BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT - BIGOVEN.COM
BEET AND RED CABBAGE BORSCHT - JEWISH FOOD EXPERIENCE
BEET AND RED CABBAGE BORSCHT - EASTERN EUROPEAN RECIPES
BEET AND RED CABBAGE BORSCHT RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
BORSCHT RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE TRADITIONAL UKRAINIAN BORSCHT
RED CABBAGE AND BEET BORSCHT RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
BEET AND RED CABBAGE BORSCHT RECIPE | POPSUGAR FOOD
RED BEET AND CABBAGE BORSCHT - DISH 'N' THE KITCHEN
VEGAN BORSCHT - CONNOISSEURUS VEG
BEETS AND BEEF BORSCHT - MY CAFé GOURMAND
RUSSIAN CABBAGE BORSCHT (BEET SOUP) RECIPE
COOKING BORSCHT • BORSCHT WITH RED CABBAGE
BEET BORSCHT WITH BEEF AND CABBAGE RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
HOMEMADE BORSCHT (CABBAGE & BEET SOUP) : BOOK RECIPES
BEST AUTHENTIC UKRAINIAN BORSCHT SOUP RECIPE - IFOODREAL.COM
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make borscht with beets?Complete the borscht: Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the saucepan used to cook the base; heat over medium-low heat. Add the cabbage, the remaining 1 cup of beets, and carrots, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add the honey and vinegar, and cook 3 minutes more to reduce the acidity of the vinegar.
What is beet and cabbage borscht?Technically, borscht is any stew-type soup. The best-known kind in the U.S., however, is made with beets and is brilliantly red. This beet and cabbage borscht is packed with roasted red beets, onions, cabbage, and white beans - all the better to make it through a cold winter night.
How to cook beets on the stove with cabbage?Add beets, cabbage, carrots, parsnips, and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 12 minutes. Add broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until beets are tender, about 20 minutes.
What is borscht and what does it taste like?It is quite a healthy soup full of good-for-you vegetables like beets, cabbage, carrots, and onion. And as all the different variations show, Borscht is very open to adaptations.