CORNBREAD TAMALE PIE
This recipe came to The Times in a 2006 magazine article about the 75th anniversary edition of The Joy of Cooking, the soup-to-nuts cookbook found on practically every home cook's shelf since its first publication in 1931. Like many of the book's beloved recipes, this dish is a crowd-pleasing, homespun classic that is incredibly simple to put together. First, make a quick chili of beef, black beans, corn, green pepper and onion seasoned with chile power and cumin. Spread that in a baking dish, top with a simple cornbread batter and pop it into the oven. In about a half hour: tamale pie. Serve with hot sauce, a dollop of sour cream and a few slices of avocado. If you're trying to eat less red meat, ground turkey or chicken would make a fine substitute for the beef.
Provided by Jennifer Steinhauer
Categories dinner, main course
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 3-quart high-sided casserole dish with cooking spray. In a large skillet, saute the beef and onion over medium-high heat until the meat is brown and the onion translucent, about 10 minutes. Then add the beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, bell pepper (if using), chili powder, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and teaspoon salt. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, milk and oil until combined. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until combined. Spread the meat mixture into the casserole dish and cover with the corn bread topping. The topping will disappear into the meat mixture but will rise during baking and form a layer of corn bread. Bake until the corn bread is brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 445, UnsaturatedFat 14 grams, Carbohydrate 37 grams, Fat 24 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 21 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 678 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 1 gram
BLACK BEAN TAMALE BAKE
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet until shimmering. Add onion, green pepper, and salt. Cook and stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Add ground chuck and garlic; cook until meat is browned, about 5 minutes. Drain fat if desired. Add beans, chile cooking sauce, and tomatoes. Cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add cornmeal and salt; cook until thick and creamy, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add corn, Monterey Jack cheese, and jalapeno. Stir well and spread over meat mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden and filling is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 264.4 calories, Carbohydrate 25.2 g, Cholesterol 29.5 mg, Fat 12.4 g, Fiber 5.3 g, Protein 13.8 g, SaturatedFat 4.9 g, Sodium 636.6 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
BLACK BEAN TAMALE PIE
Corn bread mix speeds the preparation of this Southwestern entree with beef and black beans. My husband really likes it, and guests seem to enjoy this unique Mexican dish. For a change of pace, try topping it with lettuce, guacamole or extra salsa. -Laura Morris, St. Joseph, Missouri
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6-8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans and salsa; set aside. , In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, milk, egg and 1 cup cheese. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 5-6 minutes. , Spoon beef mixture over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. edge. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and olives if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 338 calories, Fat 14g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 78mg cholesterol, Sodium 691mg sodium, Carbohydrate 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 17g protein.
BLACK BEAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE
This casserole never fails to receive compliments whenever I serve it. The ingredients come together so nicely to give it a unique wonderful flavor. It's one of our favorites. -Tracy Kimzey, Blacksburg, Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, salsa, cumin, salt, oregano and pepper. Add beans and chicken; heat through., Spread a third of the mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with four tortillas, a third of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture., Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream, green onions and olives if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 283 calories, Fat 9g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 50mg cholesterol, Sodium 664mg sodium, Carbohydrate 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
BLACK BEAN AND TAMALE PIE
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- In the same pan add drained corn, beans, the salsa and season to taste with the taco seasoning.
- Let simmer on medium for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a deep dish pie pan.
- Spoon muffin mix over the filling covering evenly.
- Bake at temperature (400 degree) specified on muffin mix until the crust is cooked through.
- Garnish with Salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 673, Fat 25.1, SaturatedFat 8.7, Cholesterol 78.1, Sodium 1135.5, Carbohydrate 79.3, Fiber 13.7, Sugar 20, Protein 36.5
More about "black bean tamale bake recipes"
BLACK BEAN TAMALES | KITCHN
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Soak the corn husks: Place the corn husks in a large pot and cover with hot water. Let sit until pliable. Meanwhile, prepare the filling and masa.
- Make the filling: Finely chop 2 serrano peppers (remove the seeds first if you want it less spicy) and 1 large garlic clove, and place both in a small bowl. Dice 1 small yellow onion and coarsely chop 1/2 cup cilantro.
- Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the serrano and garlic and sauté until the serrano turns bright green. Add the cilantro, 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, and 1 cup water. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until about half of the water has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Use a potato masher and mash the bean mixture, keeping some of the beans whole. Taste and season with salt as needed. Cover to keep warm.
SKILLET BLACK BEAN AND CORN TAMALE PIE RECIPE - TABLESPOON.COM
- Heat oven to 375°F. In 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add poblano chile and onions; cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened. Add garlic; cook 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, frozen corn, taco seasoning mix and chili powder; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, stir cornbread mix, Cheddar cheese, milk, melted butter and egg just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Spoon cornbread batter evenly over top.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
CORN AND BLACK BEAN TAMALE PIE RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
Total Time 1 hr 15 mins See details »
SPICY BLACK BEAN AND CHEESE TAMALES | THIS MESS IS OURS
Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
- Cover the husks with hot water and soak for at least 2 hours. You may need to weigh them down to completely submerge in the water.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook, stirring often, over medium-low heat until onions are softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the chili powders and cumin, and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Combine the Maseca, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the vegetable shortening and work into the dry mixture with your hands until they are the size of small pebbles. Add the broth and mix it into the flour with your hands until the dough is uniformly wet and soft. It needs to be easily spreadable but not runny, like the consistency of fluffy mashed potatoes. Add more stock if necessary. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Fill a large tamale steamer with enough water to reach the rack where the tamales will sit to cook. If you don’t have a tamale steamer you can fill the bottom of a large stockpot with water and place a wire rack in the bottom.
BLACK BEAN TAMALE PIE - DELISH KNOWLEDGE
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and saute the onion for 5-6 minutes until translucent. Add a pinch of salt and the garlic, stir together.
- Add the rest of the vegetables: bell pepper and zucchini along with the chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and coriander. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the beans and tomatoes with juice to the skillet.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder in a large bowl. In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, soymilk and apple cider vinegar.
TAMALES WITH BLACK BEANS RECIPE - DELISH
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Make the filling: Place the black beans, garlic, chili powder, dried chilies, and epazote in a large pot and cover with fresh water by 2 inches.
BLACK BEAN TAMALE PIE WITH SWEET POTATO + CORN
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. (If you use a cast iron skillet or other oven-proof skillet, all the better, as you’ll be able to transfer the skillet right into the oven when you bake the tamale pie.) Once the oil is warm, add the onion, garlic, and a small pinch of salt to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes, before adding the red pepper, the 1/2 teaspoon of salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste, cumin, coriander, and chili flakes. Cook for a couple more minutes , until the peppers to soften.
- Stir in the corn, black beans, and sweet potato, followed by the vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes have softened and are fork-tender, about 20 minutes or so.
SQUASH, BLACK BEAN & GOAT CHEESE TAMALES RECIPE | EATINGWELL
- To prepare wrappers: Place cornhusks in a large bowl, cover with hot water and weight with a heavy plate or pan to completely submerge them. Let soak for 30 minutes.
- To prepare batter: Put masa and 1 1/4 cups hot water in a large bowl; stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms. Beat ricotta, oil, baking powder and salt in another large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add grits (or cornmeal) and mix until combined. Add the ricotta mixture to the masa mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in broth 1/4 cup at a time until the batter is very moist and spreadable, but not runny.
- To prepare filling: Place squash puree in a fine-mesh sieve and gently press on it to extract excess liquid. Transfer to a medium bowl and add beans, chiles and salt; stir until combined.
- To assemble tamales: Drain the cornhusks and pat dry. Sort through and pick out 16 large, unblemished husks to use as wrappers. Cut about 2 dozen thin, long strips from the remaining husks to use as ties (or use kitchen string instead). Cover the husks and ties with a damp towel to keep moist.
VEGAN BLACK BEAN TAMALES RECIPE - CHOWHOUND
- Start the dried corn husks soaking in a sink full of warm water about 15 minutes before you begin so they can soften (put a lid or plate over the husks to keep them submerged).
- Set aside. Using a handheld beater or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the shortening until it is light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
SWEET POTATO BLACK BEAN TAMALES | MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and place whole sweet potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Poke sweet potatoes a few times with a fork to allow steam to escape. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. NOTE: For quicker bake time, halve sweet potatoes, rub with a little oil, and bake cut-side down for 35-40 minutes or until tender (as pictured).
- In the meantime, add masa harina to a large mixing bowl and pour the water over. Stir to combine. It will likely appear a bit dry — that's okay. Let rest 15 minutes to hydrate.
- In the meantime, add dried corn husks to a large mixing bowl and cover with room temperature water. Set something on top to submerge them (such as a small skillet). Set aside and let soak (at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour).
- In the meantime, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add water (or oil) and onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until tender and slightly browned.
BLACK BEAN & SWEET POTATO TAMALES & TOMATILLO SAUCE RECIPE
- Place corn husks in a large bowl; cover with water. Weight husks down with a can; soak 30 minutes. Drain.
- To prepare filling, pierce potato with a fork; wrap in foil. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Peel potato; mash. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon cumin and cinnamon; sauté 30 seconds. Add beans and green chiles; sauté 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine potato, bean mixture, cheese, and chopped cilantro.
RUSTIC BAKED CHICKEN & BLACK BEAN TAMALE RECIPE BY KEN ...
3.5/5 (1)Calories 708 per servingTotal Time 1 hr See details »
MEATLESS TAMALES WITH BLACK BEAN FILLING - RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins See details »
TAMALE BAKE- TFRECIPES
See details »
BLACK BEAN TAMALE BAKE | RECIPE | RECIPES, TAMALE BAKE ...
See details »
BEAN TAMALE RECIPES - COOKEATSHARE
See details »
PUMPKIN BLACK BEAN TAMALE BAKE | ONCE A MONTH MEALS
See details »
BLACK BEAN TAMALE BAKE - MEXICAN - WORLDRECIPES.ORG
See details »
BLACK BEAN TAMALE BAKE RECIPE - HEALTHY MEAL PREP
See details »
RECIPE TAMALE BAKE - TFRECIPES.COM
See details »
BLACK BEAN TAMALE BAKE | RECIPE | MEXICAN FOOD RECIPES ...
See details »
MEXICAN TAMALE PIE (TAMAL DE CAZUELA) WITH BLACK BEAN ...
See details »
QUICK AND EASY VEGETARIAN TAMALE PIE WITH BROWN BUTTER ...
See details »
You'll also love