WINNING RHUBARB-STRAWBERRY PIE
While being raised on a farm I often ate rhubarb, so it's natural for me to use it in a pie. I prefer to use lard for the flaky pie crust and thin, red rhubarb stalks for the filling. These two little secrets helped this recipe win top honors at the 2013 Iowa State Fair. -Marianne Carlson, Jefferson, Iowa
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, 4 tablespoons ice water and vinegar until blended. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add egg mixture, tossing with a fork, until dough holds together when pressed. If mixture is too dry, slowly add additional ice water, a teaspoon at a time, just until mixture comes together., Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight., Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix sugar and tapioca. Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss to coat evenly. Let stand 15 minutes., On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim., Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Brush milk over pastry; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place pie on a baking sheet; bake 20 minutes., Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool pie on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 531 calories, Fat 25g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 53mg cholesterol, Sodium 269mg sodium, Carbohydrate 73g carbohydrate (35g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
AWARD-WINNING STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE
This strawberry rhubarb pie is perfection! The filling is sweet, tart, and addictive to eat. When it's cut, the rhubarb strawberry filling holds up. It's a beautiful slice of pie. We agree with Shannon, this rhubarb pie recipe is definitely a winner.
Provided by Shannon Renee
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1. Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca, and lemon juice. Let sit on the counter for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, using a fork, poke holes in the pie crust. Add parchment paper and pie weights. Then lightly bake the bottom of the pie crust for 5-10 minutes.
- 3. Cool pie crust.
- 4. Pour in the filing. Dot with small pieces of butter.
- 5. Then cover with other pie crust in whatever fashion you want.
- 6. Bake on 400 degrees for 40-45 min. I like to cover the outside edge of the crust with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn (or use a pie crust shield). Then towards the end of the baking time, I take it off to make sure it's the same color as the rest of the pie crust.
- 7. Let stand before serving.
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CREAM PIE
To me, nothing says Spring like fresh strawberries and rhubarb. This wonderful pie is a new family favorite that tastes like jam with a creamy custard all baked into a pie crust with a crunchy crumb topping. So good it will make your eyes roll back into your head!
Provided by Teresa Jacobson
Categories Fruit Desserts
Number Of Ingredients 16
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place preferred pie crust into pie pan and crimp edges as desired.
- 2. Place a layer of strawberries in bottom of crust, then sprinkle half the rhubarb over strawberries. Repeat until all fruit is in crust.
- 3. In a bowl, combine sugar and flour very well. Add eggs,sour cream and vanilla and blend well with mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour evenly over the fruit in pie crust.
- 4. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour in melted butter and combine well. Add in flour and stir well. Mixture should clump together well. Crumble evenly over pie mixture.
- 5. If desired, brush pie crust edges with an egg wash. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- 6. Cool completely on a wire rack for AT LEAST 4 hours. >>>Pie needs at least 4 hours for the cream to set up
STRAWBERRY RIBBON PIE
I have not made this yet but intend to very soon. Posting this for the 2005 strawberry recipe swap contest. Cooking times are approx. because I don't know how long it takes until the mixture "mounds".
Provided by Bri22
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a small saucepan combine strawberry gelatin, sugar and boiling water.
- Add strawberries and lemon juice, mix well.
- Stir every half hour until mixture mounds.
- Then whip the cream cheese in a seperate bowl with the confectioner's sugar , vanilla and salt.
- In a third bowl whip the heavy cream to soft peak stage. Fold the whipped cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream.
- Pour this mixture into the pie shell.
- Pour the strawberry mixture over that, refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 469.3, Fat 29.6, SaturatedFat 14.7, Cholesterol 69.9, Sodium 329.4, Carbohydrate 47.6, Fiber 2.1, Sugar 29.5, Protein 5
BLUE RIBBON STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE
- Combine sugar, preserves and lemon juice.
- Add strawberries, rhubarb and tapioca.
- Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to lower 1/3 of oven.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Prepare bottom crust in pie plate.
- Pour in fruit.
- Top with decorated crust-top. (I like a lattice top.).
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 55 minutes or until filling is bubbling and crust is brown. (You may need to cover the edges of the crust with foil paper part way through, if crust is getting too brown.).
- Remove to wire rack and cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 584.8, Fat 21.1, SaturatedFat 5.3, Cholesterol 0.4, Sodium 337.2, Carbohydrate 96.1, Fiber 3.9, Sugar 51.7, Protein 4.9
More about "blue ribbon strawberry rhubarb pie recipes"
HOW TO MAKE THE ABSOLUTE BEST STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB PIE | KITCHN
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
BLUE RIBBON KITCHEN: GARDEN PARTY STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE
Author Blue Ribbon KitchenEstimated Reading Time 7 mins
RHUBARB–STRAWBERRY PIE - SAVEUR: AUTHENTIC RECIPES, FOOD ...
BLUE RIBBON WINNING STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE | JAZ INNOVATIONS
Cuisine AmericanCategory DesertServings 6Total Time 1 hr 50 mins
TONY FIELDS’ FIRST-PLACE STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB PIE RECIPE ...
Estimated Reading Time 50 secs
FARM JAM: STRAWBERRY - FARMMADE
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB HAND PIES - BLUE BOWL
Cuisine DessertEstimated Reading Time 8 minsCategory Dessert
BLUE RIBBON KITCHEN: BIRTHDAY PIE: OLD FASHIONED ...
Author Blue Ribbon KitchenEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
RECIPE: BLUEBERRY RHUBARB STRAWBERRY PIE - STARTRIBUNE.COM
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
BLUE RIBBON RHUBARB RECIPES
GARDEN PARTY STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE - BLUE RIBBON KITCHEN
BLUE RIBBON STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE- TFRECIPES
BEST STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE RECIPE ARCHIVES - BLUE RIBBON ...
BEE'S BLUE RIBBON RHUBARB PIE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
BLUE RIBBON STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
BLUE RIBBON STRAWBERRY RHUBARB JAM RECIPE - ALL ...
GARDEN PARTY STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE - BLUE RIBBON KITCHEN ...
BLUE RIBBON RHUBARB PIE RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
BEST STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE - BLUE RIBBON GROUP
BLUE RIBBON STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
30 BLUE-RIBBON RECIPES FROM FAIRS ACROSS AMERICA
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #low-protein #healthy #pies-and-tarts #desserts #fruit #american #southern-united-states #dinner-party #holiday-event #pies #dietary #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #comfort-food #healthy-2 #low-in-something #berries #strawberries #taste-mood #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make a rhubarb and strawberry pie?Directions. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix sugar and tapioca. Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss to coat evenly. Let stand 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter.
Do you have to thaw frozen rhubarb for pie?Yes, you should thaw frozen rhubarb if using it in your pie. Frozen fruits release extra moisture that can create a soggy bottom. Can I use frozen strawberries? You can use frozen strawberries, but be sure to thaw them before using to decrease excess moisture.
How do you know when rhubarb is ripe?The stalks, which look similar to celery, are often found near the berries in the produce section, and are easily identifiable by their bright-red color. When picking out rhubarb, look for stalks that are firm, crisp, and shiny, and avoid any that are limp, which is a sign that they’re old.
Can you freeze rhubarb?Frozen rhubarb can be used in place in fresh — just be sure to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, and drain off any excess moisture. Before you head into the kitchen, keep these tips in mind.