- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, and stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes; add a splash of cider vinegar in the last minute of cooking. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
- In a large stock pot, over high heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 2 hours. Remove the stock from the heat and skim off any scum that is on the surface. Strain the stock through a large fine-mesh sieve. Discard the bones and vegetables.
KALE WITH BACON
The hearty bacon flavor in this side dish makes you forget that you're eating right. Seasoned with garlic, it's a great way to enjoy vitamin-rich kale. -Margaret Allen, Abingdon, Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add kale; cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onions and garlic until onion is tender. , Drain the kale; stir into onion mixture. Add the salt, pepper and reserved bacon; heat through.
Nutrition Facts :
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON
- Remove the outer leaves of kale if damaged or discolored. Cut off the bases of the stems, wash the leaves twice in abundant cold water, and drain. Cut the leaves crosswise into 1-inch strips.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide, heavy skillet over medium heat. Whack the garlic cloves with the side of a knife and toss the min to the oil. Stir in the bacon and cook, stirring, until the bacon and garlic are light golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir as many of the kale leaves into the skillet as will fit comfortably. Cook, stirring, until wilted enough to make room for more kale. Continue adding the kale, a handful at a time, until all the kale is in the skillet. Season lightly with salt and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Cover the skillet, lower the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. If all the liquid in the pan evaporates and the greens begin to stick to the pan, sprinkle a tablespoon or two of water over them. Taste the greens and season with additional salt and red pepper if you like. Serve immediately.
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON AND CIDER
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon; cook 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale, and cook 5 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently. Add cider and vinegar; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add apple, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 103.5, Fat 4, SaturatedFat 1.2, Cholesterol 5.1, Sodium 290.8, Carbohydrate 15.4, Fiber 2.8, Sugar 4.7, Protein 3.8
Kale: The ubiquitous dark and leafy green that people either love or love to hate. If you fall into the latter camp, this recipe for a savory-sweet variation adapted from North Pond, a restaurant in Chicago, might change your mind. It requires a bit more work than a typical garlic and olive oil sauté, but it's well worth it. Start with blanching the kale in a pot of boiling water (skip this if you don't mind your kale a bit more toothsome). Sauté some onion, carrot and celery in a little oil, then add 1/3 cup sherry vinegar and reduce. Toss in the kale with a little honey, chicken broth and salt and pepper, then cook until the leaves are tender. At this point, you can either go ahead and eat it, or do as they do at the restaurant: strain the liquid and reduce to make a flavorful sauce to pour over the greens.
Provided by Alex Witchel
Categories easy, vegetables, side dish
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, set aside a large bowl of ice water. Add kale to boiling water, return to a boil, and after 1 minute transfer to ice bath. Drain well, and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over low heat and sauté onion, carrot and celery until just softened. Add sherry vinegar and cook until reduced by two-thirds. Add kale and stir to coat, then add chicken broth, honey, 2 teaspoons salt and the pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, partly covered, until kale is tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer kale leaves to a warm bowl, leaving onion, carrot and celery in broth. Strain broth, discarding solids. If there is more than * cup, it may be boiled in a small saucepan until reduced. Adjust salt and pepper as needed, and pour over kale. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours; gently reheat before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 147, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 20 grams, Fat 6 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 551 milligrams, Sugar 13 grams, TransFat 0 grams
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON AND ONIONS
- Cook kale stems and ribs in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- Cook bacon pieces in heavy large pot over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Add chopped onions and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add kale leaves, ribs and stems and sauté until leaves are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Cover and cook until kale is very tender, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Cook mixture 2 minutes to blend flavors. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.
Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 12
Provided by annmai
Yield Serves 12
Number Of Ingredients 5
- In a very large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, then add the kale in large handfuls, letting it wilt slightly before adding more. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over moderate heat until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
SPICY GARLIC KALE WITH SAUTEED RED PEPPERS
This dish is as lovely to look at as it is to eat, due to its beautifully contrasting colors. It is a simple way to add zest to fresh vegetables and quickly prepare a gourmet side dish for fish, meat, or rice & beans. Steaming the kale instead of sautéing it helps it cook more quickly and maintain its bright green color.
Provided by Whats Cooking
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Wash kale. Pull greens away from the stalks, discarding stalks. Shred by hand into small pieces.
- Place kale in steamer basket, and steam until tender (approximately 10 minutes). Remove immediately from heat.
- Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add onions and leeks. Saute until onions are translucent and leeks begin to brown. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, saute for 1-2 more minutes. Add bell pepper slices, and saute until tender (approximately 4-5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Add kale to pan, and toss ingredients together thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or room temperature.
More about "braised kale with red bell pepper and bacon recipes"
BRAISED KALE WITH BELL PEPPER AND BACON - OUTER AISLE …
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
BRAISED RED KALE RECIPE | DEBI MAZAR AND GABRIELE CORCOS
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON - IN THE KITCHEN WITH KATH
SEARED COD WITH BACON, BRAISED FENNEL, AND KALE - MYRECIPES
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
BRAISED CHICKEN STEW WITH BELL PEPPERS AND BACON RECIPE | EAT …
STIR-FRIED KALE WITH BELL PEPPER RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
RED BELL PEPPER AND KALE STIR-FRY RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON AND ONIONS - FARM FLAVOR RECIPE
RECIPE: BRAISED BACON AND KALE | KITCHN
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON RECIPE - GRACE PARISI | FOOD & WINE
BRAISED KALE WITH RED BELL PEPPER AND BACON RECIPE RECIPE
GUY'S BRAISED KALE WITH RED BELL PEPPER AND BACON - GUY FIERI
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
BRAISED SOUTHERN STYLE KALE | I HEART RECIPES
BEST-EVER BRAISED KALE - HUNGER THIRST PLAY
SWEET BRAISED KALE WITH APPLES AND NUTS | GOOD LIFE EATS
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON AND CIDER RECIPE | MYRECIPES
KALE WITH RED BELL PEPPER RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON AND ONIONS - LODGE CAST IRON
SOUTHERN-STYLE BEER BRAISED KALE WITH BACON - ONE SWEET MESS
BRAISED KALE - JESSICA GAVIN
ONE-PAN BRAISED KALE WITH BACON AND NEW POTATOES - JUSTBENTO
BRAISED KALE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
BRAISED KALE WITH RED BELL PEPPER AND BACON | RECIPE | BRAISED KALE ...
RECIPE: BRAISED BACON AND KALE | RECIPE | BRAISED KALE, BRAISED …
BRAISED KALE WITH RED BELL PEPPER AND BACON | RECIPE | BRAISED KALE ...
BRAISED BACON AND KALE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES …
KALE WITH RED BELL PEPPER RECIPE | SIDE DISH RECIPES - PBS FOOD
SAUTEED KALE WITH BACON - CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON AND CIDER RECIPE
BRAISED KALE WITH BACON AND ONIONS - PLAIN.RECIPES
BRAISED KALE, BACON AND EGG ON TOAST RECIPE
BRAISED KALE WITH RED BELL PEPPER AND BACON – RECIPES NETWORK
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook Kale and bacon together?Add kale; cook until tender, 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, cook and stir onions and garlic until onion is tender. Drain the kale; stir into onion mixture.
How to cook Kale with garlic and peppers?Add the garlic and bell peppers; stirring occasionally, cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the peppers are softened. Step 3 Add the kale and stir in the Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and smoked paprika. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the kale is softened.
What to do with braised kale?This recipe for Braised Kale also serves as an ingredient to three other recipes-- Braised Kale, Sausage, and Creamy Polenta, Whole-Wheat Pasta with Kale and Roast Chicken, Braised Kale Frittata. Strip the kale leaves from the tough stems. Discard the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Rinse well in a colander, leaving the water on the leaves.
How to cook Kale and garlic stir fry?Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, and stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes; add a splash of cider vinegar in the last minute of cooking.