CHEESY BARLEY GRATIN
This cheesy gratin could easily be mistaken for another comfort favorite: macaroni and cheese. But beneath the crispy topping, it's perfectly cooked barley, not pasta, that's cloaked in a creamy and buttery cheese sauce. Browned onions, garlic and thyme give this decadent side dish deep, rich flavor. Serve it alongside roasted turkey, fried chicken or grilled steak.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat it to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Fill a small pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the barley and boil until just cooked through but still slightly chewy, about 20 minutes (it will continue to cook in the oven). Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, put 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Combine the Gruyere, mozzarella and parmesan in another medium bowl. Add the panko, 1 cup of the cheese mixture and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the bowl with the melted butter. Use your hands to work the butter into the cheese and breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter in a wide large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and a large pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. (The butter will start to foam and brown specks will form, but that is okay; this will add a lot of flavor to the finished dish.) Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic and thyme and stir constantly until the garlic is just softened, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a thin paste forms around the onion mixture, about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce is a thin gravy, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded cheese mixture and cooked barley. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Spoon into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved cheesy breadcrumbs evenly on top of the barley and bake until bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
BARLEY & BROCCOLI RISOTTO WITH LEMON & BASIL
Barley and broccoli are packed with vitamins to lower cholesterol and regulate your appetite. This vegan, low-calorie supper will keep you fuller for longer
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Lunch, Main course, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Pour a litre of cold water over the barley, cover and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the barley, reserve the liquid and use it to make 500ml vegetable bouillon. Heat half the oil in a non-stick pan, add the leek and cook briefly to soften. Tip half into a bowl, then add the barley and bouillon to the pan, cover and simmer for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic, basil, remaining oil, the lemon juice and 3 tbsp water to the leeks in the bowl, and blitz to a paste with a stick blender
- When the barley has cooked for 20 mins, add the broccoli to the pan and cook for 5-10 mins more until both are tender. Stir in the basil purée, heat very briefly (to retain the fragrance), then spoon into bowls to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 378 calories, Fat 14 grams fat, SaturatedFat 1 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 49 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 5 grams sugar, Fiber 7 grams fiber, Protein 11 grams protein, Sodium 0.1 milligram of sodium
BUTTERY BROCCOLI WITH PARSLEY
- Place a steamer basket in a saucepan filled with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil. Add broccoli; cover, and steam until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove basket, pour off water, and return broccoli to pan. Toss with butter, parsley, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 87 g, Fat 6 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 3 g
BROCCOLI BARLEY SOUP
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the first three ingredients in butter until tender. Add the chicken and vegetable broths, barley and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is tender. Add broccoli; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. , In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, salt and pepper (do not boil). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 240 calories, Fat 11g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 41mg cholesterol, Sodium 816mg sodium, Carbohydrate 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
BROCCOLI BARLEY SAUTE
Here's a fun way to "spice up" your skillet suppers! Barley is a nice change of pace from rice, and the veggies and peanuts add a fun and festive crunch.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Prepare barley according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine water, soy sauce and cornstarch; set aside. In a large skillet or wok, saute garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots; stir-fry for 1 minute. add broccoli and onions; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce mixture; simmer and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add chicken an barley; heat through. Stir in peanuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts :
WARM BROCCOLI AND BARLEY PILAF
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the barley and cook over moderately high heat, stirring until fragrant and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the barley is tender and the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, bring 1/2 inch of water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets, cover and cook just until bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry. Wipe out the skillet and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the olive oil.
- Add the broccoli stems and stir-fry over high heat until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the shallots, ginger and jalapeño and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli florets, season with salt and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Off the heat, stir in the barley and scallion and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Transfer to a bowl and serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 367, Fat 17.1, SaturatedFat 6.7, Cholesterol 22.9, Sodium 65, Carbohydrate 47.5, Fiber 12.6, Sugar 3.5, Protein 11
SAUTéED BROCCOLI WITH GARLIC AND CHILE
This speedy, two-step recipe yields broccoli - or practically any vegetable - that is perfectly browned and cooked all the way through. After florets and thinly sliced stems are seared, add a little water and cover so the broccoli steams in its own juices until fork-tender. Not only does this bring out the vegetable's inherent sweetness, but it softens whatever flavorings you add without burning them. This recipe embraces the prickly heat of chile and garlic, but you could also use ground spices, thyme or rosemary, ginger or scallions, capers or olives. Swap the broccoli for sliced carrots or sweet potatoes, cauliflower florets, broccoli rabe, or green beans, adjusting cook time and water as necessary.
Provided by Ali Slagle
Categories vegetables, side dish
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Heat the olive oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high. Add the broccoli stems, season with salt and pepper, and cook, undisturbed, until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the florets, season generously with salt and pepper, and shake into an even layer. Cook, undisturbed, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red-pepper flakes and stir until the garlic is fragrant, less than 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium, add 3 tablespoons water, cover, and cook until the broccoli is bright green and fork-tender, 2 to 3 minutes, reducing heat if needed to prevent burning. Season to taste with salt, pepper and red-pepper flakes.
DELICIOUS BARLEY BAKE
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring the barley and chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the barley is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the celery, carrots, garlic, and onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, and broccoli. Continue cooking and stirring until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat.
- Combine cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, Locatella cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, nutmeg, oregano, basil, and thyme in a large bowl, mixing until smooth. Stir in the prepared barley, peas, corn, roasted red peppers, spinach, and shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Spread mixture into a large baking dish and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly, and cheese has melted, 20 to 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 368.5 calories, Carbohydrate 38.5 g, Cholesterol 48 mg, Fat 15.5 g, Fiber 9.2 g, Protein 21.5 g, SaturatedFat 6.9 g, Sodium 501 mg, Sugar 4.7 g
BROCCOLI AND BARLEY VEGETABLE SOUP
- Sauté leeks and garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in barley, and cover with 2 cups of water; bring to the boil, then reduce the flame and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, carrot, salt and 4 cups of water, stir. Bring the soup to the boil, lower the flame and cook for another 7 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened. Season with black pepper and add thyme.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 404.8, Fat 10.1, SaturatedFat 1.7, Sodium 887.2, Carbohydrate 70.1, Fiber 24, Sugar 19.4, Protein 21.9
SQUASH & BARLEY SALAD WITH BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Place the squash on a baking tray and toss with olive oil. Roast for 20 mins. Meanwhile, boil the barley for about 25 mins in salted water until tender, but al dente. While this is happening, whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Drain the barley, then tip it into a bowl and pour over the dressing. Mix well and let it cool.
- Boil the broccoli in salted water until just tender, then drain and rinse in cold water. Drain and pat dry. Add the broccoli and remaining ingredients to the barley and mix well. This will keep for 3 days in the fridge and is delicious warm or cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 301 calories, Fat 14 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 40 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 9 grams sugar, Protein 6 grams protein, Sodium 0.55 milligram of sodium
More about "broccoli and barley recipes"
TOASTED BARLEY SALAD WITH BROCCOLI RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4.1/5 (33)Estimated Reading Time 3 minsServings 4Total Time 45 mins
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add barley and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil; season with salt. Cook until tender, 25–30 minutes.
- Heat remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and anchovy and cook , stirring occasionally, until garlic is just golden,, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli; season with salt and pepper and cook until crisp-tender and bright green, 8–10 minutes. Add barley and cook, tossing until warmed through. Add vinegar; season with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired. Mix in parsley and almonds just before serving.
WARM BROCCOLI AND BARLEY PILAF RECIPE - GRACE PARISI
5/5 (572)Total Time 40 minsServings 4
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the barley and cook over moderately high heat, stirring until fragrant and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the barley is tender and the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, bring 1/2 inch of water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets, cover and cook just until bright green, about 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Wipe out the skillet and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the olive oil. Add the broccoli stems and stir-fry over high heat until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the shallots, ginger and jalapeño and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the broccoli florets, season with salt and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the barley and scallion and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Transfer to a bowl and serve warm.
WARM BROCCOLI AND BARLEY PILAF - RICE RECIPES
28 BROCCOLI RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE TO COOK | FOOD & WINE
BROCCOLI AND BARLEY SOUP RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
CRISPY BROCCOLI AND BARLEY BOWL - TENDING THE TABLE
BROCCOLI CORN & BARLEY SOUP RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
BROCCOLI BARLEY CASSEROLE CUPS - MJ AND HUNGRYMAN
OUR 18 BEST BARLEY RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
RECIPE: PARMESAN BARLEY BOWL WITH ROASTED BROCCOLI AND A …
10 BEST BARLEY SIDE DISH RECIPES | YUMMLY
10 BEST QUICK BARLEY RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHICKEN BROCCOLI AND BARLEY CASSEROLE FEATURING ALASKA …
BROCCOLI AND BITS-O-BARLEY BAKE RECIPE
12 WAYS TO COOK WITH BARLEY - THE SPRUCE EATS
BROCCOLI AND BARLEY SALAD – THE IRISH TIMES
BROCCOLI RABE AND BARLEY GRAIN BOWL WITH CILANTRO PESTO RECIPE ...
ROASTED BROCCOLI BARLEY SALAD - WHAT THE FORKS FOR DINNER?
WARM BROCCOLI AND BARLEY PILAF RECIPE | RECIPE | BARLEY RECIPE, PILAF ...
BARLEY, BEEF & BROCCOLI SOUP | GOBARLEY
BARLEY SALAD (LOADED WITH FRESH VEGGIES!) - SPEND WITH PENNIES
VEGETARIAN BUDDHA BOWL WITH BROCCOLI + CREAMY TAHINI DRESSING
BUTTERNUT SQUASH, BROCCOLI & BARLEY SALAD RECIPES | GOODTO
BARLEY BROCCOLI - RECIPES - COOKS.COM
WARM BROCCOLI AND BARLEY PILAF RECIPE | RECIPES.NET
HOW TO COOK PERFECT BARLEY (NO-FAIL RECIPE) - THE MEDITERRANEAN …
BROCCOLI AND LEMONGRASS BARLEY RISOTTO - FOOD RECIPES HQ
EASY PANTRY MEAL: ITALIAN BROCCOLI, BARLEY AND BEANS
BARLEY AND BROCCOLI CASSEROLE | GOBARLEY
BROCCOLI AND CHEESE BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
ROASTED BROCCOLI AND FARRO BOWLS - GIMME SOME OVEN
BARLEY, SQUASH AND BROCCOLI SOUP | RICARDO
BROCCOLI WITH MUSHROOMS & BARLEY - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
LEMONY BROCCOLI BARLEY AND WHITE BEAN SALAD - FROM A CHEF'S …
BARLEY BROCCOLI RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
You'll also love