SAVORY BROWN RICE AND BARLEY
- Saute onion in olive oil in a 4 qt saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining ingredients, except green onions, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn down to simmer, cooking for 45 minutes without removing lid.
- Fluff with a rice, garnish with green onions and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 200.2, Fat 2, SaturatedFat 0.4, Cholesterol 0.2, Sodium 433.2, Carbohydrate 40.9, Fiber 6, Sugar 3.7, Protein 5.7
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY
Koreans have long embraced the healthful properties of whole grains like millet, barley and oats. This combination is fragrant and delicious! Adapted from Gourmet magazine(March 2009).
Provided by Sharon123
Categories Short Grain Rice
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Rinse the rice and barley in a sieve, then drain and move to a 4-5 quart heavy pot.
- Add water or broth and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook covered, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Stir from top to bottom with a rubber spatula. Add salt and pepper to taste, or whatever seasoning you like. This is good served with veggies, soy sauce and a little butter too. Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the barley into a 1 1/2-quart ceramic or glass baking dish (with a lid) and add the butter, salt and boiling water. Stir to combine. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and place the lid on top of the foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the cover, fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY
Provided by Lillian Chou
Categories Side Christmas Vegetarian Dinner Barley Healthy Vegan Christmas Eve Brown Rice Gourmet Sugar Conscious Kidney Friendly Pescatarian Dairy Free Peanut Free Tree Nut Free Soy Free No Sugar Added Kosher
Yield Makes 8 (as part of a korean meal) servings
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Rinse rice and barley in a medium-mesh sieve, then drain and transfer to a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot. Add water (31/2 cups) and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes, then stir from top to bottom with a rubber spatula.
RICE AND BARLEY PILAF
With a trio of whole grains, wild and brown rice and barley, this is packed with nutrition. Add half-and-half and Parmesan cheese, and you've got one satisfying side! -Barb Templin, Norwood, Minnesota
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large saucepan, combine broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in barley and brown rice; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed., Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice mixture, cheese, cream and pepper; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 176 calories, Fat 7g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 13mg cholesterol, Sodium 363mg sodium, Carbohydrate 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 7g protein. Diabetic exchanges
INSTANT POT® WILD RICE AND BARLEY PILAF
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Add olive oil and let heat for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and onion and cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, dill, and oregano; cook for 1 minute. Hit Cancel.
- Stir chicken broth and wild rice into the pot. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 25 minutes. Allow 10 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 2 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Stir in barley and peas, put the lid back on, and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and let sit until barley is tender and mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 132.5 calories, Carbohydrate 22.3 g, Cholesterol 3 mg, Fat 3 g, Fiber 4.2 g, Protein 5.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.4 g, Sodium 626.7 mg, Sugar 2.7 g
WILD RICE AND BARLEY PILAF
- Bring three cups of the water to boil, add salt and wild rice. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- In another pot, bring the remaining water to boil and add barley. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the cranberries.
- Mix together the rice, barley, cranberries, pine nuts, oil and lemon. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 252, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 38 grams, Fat 9 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 605 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
SKILLET MUSHROOMS AND CHARD WITH BARLEY OR BROWN RICE
Mushrooms and barley are a classic combination, but brown rice is also very nice with this dish, and it cooks faster. Whichever you use, simmer the grain in abundant water and used the drained water to moisten the mushrooms and chard.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories dinner, side dish
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine the barley or rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste, reduce the heat and simmer the barley for 1 hour, brown rice for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Set a strainer over a bowl and drain the grains. Retain the cooking water.
- While the grains are cooking, stem the chard and wash thoroughly in two changes of water. Chop coarsely. If the stalks are merely thick, dice them; if they are stringy, discard them.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat in a large, wide skillet or wok. Add the mushrooms and chard stems, if using, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms sear and begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the chard and raise the heat to high. Cook, stirring, until the chard wilts, which shouldn't take more than 3 minutes (you may have to add the chard in batches, depending on the size of your pan). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the chard has wilted, add .75 cup of the cooking water from the rice or barley. Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 minutes, or until the chard is tender. Uncover, stir and if you wish to have more sauce with the vegetables, add more cooking water from the grains and stir until it reduces to the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning. Drizzle on the remaining oil and serve with the grains.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 286, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 46 grams, Fat 9 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 9 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 1288 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams
More about "brown rice and barley recipes"
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY RECIPE - UNCLEJERRYSKITCHEN.COM
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 50 minsCategory Side DishCalories 71 per serving
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY RECIPE AND NUTRITION - EAT THIS MUCH
Servings 8Total Time 1 hr 5 mins
RECIPE FOR VEGETABLE BARLEY AND BROWN RICE SOUP | ADVENTHEALTH
MEDITERRANEAN BROWN RICE SALAD | RECIPETIN EATS
WILD RICE AND BARLEY SALAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
15+ HEALTHY BROWN RICE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
HERBAL BARLEY AND BROWN RICE PORRIDGE - KUALI
BAKED BROWN RICE AND BARLEY WITH MUSHROOMS RECIPE
BARLEY AND BROWN RICE PILAF | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE …
RECIPES WITH BARLEY | TASTE OF HOME
SPICY BARLEY AND BROWN FRIED RICE - GORDON FOOD SERVICE
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY MEDLEY | RECIPE - KOSHER
BROWN AND WILD RICE MEDLEY RECIPE - ON THE GO BITES
PEARL BARLEY VS. BROWN RICE: WHICH IS THE BETTER GRAIN
HEALTHY BROWN RICE & BARLEY SALAD - FUN AND FOOD CAFE
BARLEY VS BROWN RICE - THERESCIPES.INFO
TOASTED BROWN RICE & VEGETABLE PILAF RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
BARLEY RECIPE WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES | THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
9 VEGETARIAN AND VEGAN BARLEY RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY RECIPE - DELECTABLE PLANET
BARLEY VS BROWN RICE: THE ULTIMATE SMACKDOWN! - INSTEADING
BROWN RICE BEEF BARLEY SOUP - ILONA'S PASSION
BARLEY AND BROWN RICE PILAF - MY THERAPIST COOKS
BROWN RICE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
DELICIOUS VEGAN BARLEY RICE | YUZU BAKES
BARLEY BABY CEREAL RECIPE - SOLAR-HEART.COM
SPICY BARLEY AND BROWN FRIED RICE | GORDON FOOD SERVICE
BAKED BARLEY - ALTON BROWN
RICE & BARLEY RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
BROWN RICE AND RED BEAN BARLEY PULP | MISS CHINESE FOOD
HOW TO COOK BARLEY (RECIPE & TIPS) - THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY PILAF - FLORA STRONG HEART
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY SALAD WITH CABBAGE AND ... - UNWRITTEN …
BARLEY BROWN RICE AND LENTIL CASSEROLE RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
RICE BARLEY RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
RICE AND BARLEY PILAF - THERESCIPES.INFO
EAT HEALTHY BROWN RICE WITH BARLEY SALAD - FIND RICE COOKER
BARLEY, BROWN RICE, AND LENTIL CASSEROLE RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
10 BEST BARLEY BREAKFAST RECIPES | YUMMLY
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #healthy #5-ingredients-or-less #side-dishes #rice #asian #korean #easy #dinner-party #low-fat #vegan #vegetarian #grains #dietary #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #healthy-2 #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #short-grain-rice
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook barley and brown rice?In a large saucepan, combine broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in barley and brown rice; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter and oil until tender.
How to cook brown rice?Fry the rice with the spices for about 1-2 minutes until the grains become slightly translucent at the ends. Add two cups of water and cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the rice absorbs all the water. Add the barley over the brown rice and gently mix the two grains.
What is barley rice?Barley rice is a combination of barley and rice put together. You normally cook them separately and then mix them at the end. They take the same amount of time to cook so you won't be inconvenienced.
How to cook barley and eggs in a pan?Combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar and maple syrup in a small bowl then pour the mixture over the barley and eggs and cook a few minutes more. Remove the barley from the pan and transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle about a tablespoon of oil into the pan. Add the ginger and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes.