CHEF JOHN'S HOT CROSS BUNS
- Place currants in a small bowl. Heat rum until steaming in a small pan and pour over currants to soften them, about 2 hours. Drain; reserve liquid for another use.
- Whisk warm milk, 1/4 cup flour, and yeast together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit about 15 minutes to ensure yeast is active; small bubbles should start to rise to the surface. Add sugar, beaten egg, lemon and orange zest, cinnamon, salt, cardamom, nutmeg, melted butter, and most of the remaining flour (you might not need it all). Mix with a dough hook attachment until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and becomes slightly elastic, 5 or 6 minutes. Continue kneading until dough is soft and shiny, about 10 minutes. Remove dough from dough hook and shape into a ball. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface.
- Flatten dough into a large oval about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle currants evenly over surface of dough. Fold dough into thirds. Turn and fold into thirds again. Reshape dough into a round ball. Transfer to lightly oiled mixing bowl. Cover and let rise in a relatively warm, draft-free place until double in size, about 2 hours.
- Poke dough down a bit with your fingertips. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Flatten out dough into an even shape. Divide into 16 equal pieces using a bench scraper.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- Roll each piece of dough into a round ball. Arrange evenly on prepared baking sheet. Let rise 15 minutes.
- Mix 1/4 cup water and 1/3 cup flour together in a mixing bowl until mixture is thick enough to hold its shape but thin enough to pipe. Transfer mixture to a piping bag.
- After buns have risen 15 minutes, pipe a cross on top of each. Let rise until doubled from original dough balls, another 15 or 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Transfer pan to preheated oven. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture starts to thicken, or until it reaches a temperature of 225 degrees F. Remove from heat.
- Let buns cool on a rack for 5 minutes before glazing. Brush glaze lightly over the tops of the buns.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 201.1 calories, Carbohydrate 30.4 g, Cholesterol 25.9 mg, Fat 6.1 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 4.5 g, SaturatedFat 3.5 g, Sodium 118.7 mg, Sugar 9.2 g
More about "chef johns hot dog buns recipes"
CHEF JOHN'S BEST HOT DOG RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Author Carl Hanson
HOT DOG BUNS - THE SEMISWEET SISTERS
A QUICK AND EASY HOT DOG BUNS RECIPE - CHEF LOLA'S KITCHEN
CHEF JOHN'S HOT DOG BUNS - YUM TASTE
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
HOT DOG RECIPES NO BUN : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
HOW ARE HOT DOG BUNS MADE - SWEET NECTAR DESSERT KITCHEN
HOW ARE HOT DOG BUNS CUT - SWEET NECTAR DESSERT KITCHEN
HOT DOG BUNS RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOT DOG BUNS BREAD MACHINE - THERESCIPES.INFO
THE PERFECT HOT DOG WITH HOMEMADE BUNS FEAT. ROY CHOI
TOASTED HOT DOG BUNS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOMEMADE HAMBURGER BUNS~CHEF JOHN RECIPE~AWESOME!
HOT DOG BUNS - MADE FROM SCRATCH! - THE RECIPE REBEL
SIDE CUT HOT DOG BUNS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOT DOG BUNS MADE AT HOME. - YOUTUBE
FOOD WISHES VIDEO RECIPES: CLASSIC SPLIT TOP HOT DOG BUNS
HOMEMADE HOTDOG BUNS RECIPE | SIDECHEF
MINI HOT DOG BUN PAN - THERESCIPES.INFO - THERECIPES
HOT BUNS RECIPE ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD - STEVEHACKS
BUTTERY HOTDOG BUNS - KING ARTHUR BAKING
HOT DOG BUN PANS - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHEF JOHN HAMBURGER BUNS RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHEF JOHN’S BEST HOT DOGS & GRILLED SAUSAGES - FOODIE BADGE
NEW ENGLAND HOT DOG BUNS - KING ARTHUR BAKING
BEST HOT DOGS & GRILLED SAUSAGES FROM FOOD WISHES - RECIPE ON ...
HOW DO YOU STEAM HOT DOG BUNS - SWEET NECTAR DESSERT KITCHEN ...
HOMEMADE HOT DOG BUNS - GEMMA’S BIGGER BOLDER BAKING
OPEN HOT DOG BUN RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
DOG IN HOT DOG BUN - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHEF JOHN'S HOT DOG BUNS | RECIPE | HOT DOG BUNS, HOT DOG BUNS …
HOT DOG RECIPES WITHOUT BUN RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOW HOT DOG BUNS ARE MADE - SWEET NECTAR DESSERT KITCHEN
HOMEMADE SAUSAGE BUN BREAD RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
HOW TO HEAT HOT DOG BUNS - SWEET NECTAR DESSERT KITCHEN
HOW TO STEAM HOT DOG BUNS FOR A CROWD - SWEET NECTAR DESSERT …
HOT DOG BUNS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOMEMADE HOT DOG BUNS - FLOUR ARRANGEMENTS
FOOD WISHES VIDEO RECIPES: HOMEMADE HAMBURGER BUNS - BLOGGER
SPLIT TOP HOT DOG BUNS - CLASSIC SPLIT TOP SANDWICH ROLLS RECIPE
THE KEY TO A GREAT SONORAN HOT DOG IS A GREAT DOGGO BUN. HERE'S …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What are Chef John's butter-crisped hot dog buns?The only thing your delicious dogs are missing now is the perfect delivery system — Chef John's butter-crisped, split-top hot dog buns. He explains the genius design of these homemade buns: "The meat and fixings go in the top, which leaves three relatively flat sides to toast in butter."
How do you make a hot dog bun?Cut dough into 8 equal lengths. Turn each slice cut-side up and form into a hot dog bun shape about 5 inches long. Transfer dough, cut-sides up, to the prepared baking sheet about set them about 1/4-inch apart. Cut a slit about 1/8-inch deep down the center of each bun. Brush 2 tablespoons melted butter over the top and sides of each bun.
How to cook a hot dog in the oven?Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Arrange hot dog buns on a baking sheet. Cook buns in the preheated oven until soft and warm, 2 to 3 minutes. Place 1 bun on a plate. Place a hot dog in the bun and top with meat sauce. Drizzle yellow mustard and a portion of remaining diced onion over the meat sauce. Repeat with remaining hot dogs.
Can you make hot dog buns with lobster rolls?These homemade hot dog buns turn out to be perfect for more than ‘dogs too — try them with lobster rolls or chili cheese dogs, because these buns will not fall apart! In fact, since they’re so fluffy, they’ll absorb all those delicious juices, letting you savor every last bite. [ Want to make Hamburger Buns instead?