CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD
Unlike lots of other baked products which are better from a bakery, this is so far superior to the stuff you get at the grocery store, it's not even close. And in addition to being delicious to eat, it's also extremely easy to make!
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Place yeast into the work bowl of a stand mixer and add 1 cup warm water and 1 cup flour. Whisk together and let stand 15 to 20 minutes for mixture to rise and make a loose sponge. Mixture will bubble and foam.
- Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and salt into sponge; add 1 3/4 cup flour. Mix at low speed, using a dough hook attachment, until dough is soft, supple, and slightly sticky. If dough sticks to the sides of the bowl, add up to 1/4 cup more flour, a little at a time.
- Knead dough with machine on low speed until slightly springy and still soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and form into a ball.
- Wipe inside of bowl with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil. Turn dough around in bowl to cover with a thin film of oil; cover bowl with foil and let sit until dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Remove dough from bowl and place onto a floured work surface. Lightly pat into a flat shape about 1 inch thick. Use a knife to cut dough into 8 pieces.
- Form each piece into a small round ball with a smooth top, pulling dough from the sides and tucking the ends underneath the bottom.
- Cover dough balls with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour on a work surface and top of a dough ball; gently pat dough ball flat with your fingers, forming a flat, round bread about 1/4 inch thick. Let dough round rest for 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Brush a cast-iron skillet with remaining 3/4 teaspoon olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Lay pita bread into hot skillet and cook until bread begins to puff up and bottom has brown spots and blisters, about 3 minutes. Flip, cook 2 more minutes, and flip back onto original side to cook for about 30 more seconds. Pita bread will begin to puff up and fill with hot air. Stack cooked breads on a plate; when cool enough to handle, break breads in half and open the pocket inside for stuffing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 186.6 calories, Carbohydrate 33.1 g, Fat 3.6 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 4.8 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 510.9 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
More about "chef johns pita bread recipes"
CHEF JOHN’S 5 STAR PITA BREAD RECIPE IS A KEEPER
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD RECIPE - JANE RECIPES
Calcium 8mgSugars 0gSaturated Fat 1.0gVitamin A 0IU
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD - YUM TASTE
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
TATA’S HOMEMADE PITA BREAD - THE BAKER CHICK
QUICK PITA BREAD RECIPE - HOMEMADE - EASY - EMILYFABULOUS
CHEF JOHN’S TOP 25 RECIPES OF ALL TIME - CTM MAGAZINE
210 CHEF JOHN RECIPES IDEAS - PINTEREST
MAKING CHEF JOHNS PITA BREAD, BUT DID 50% AP FLOUR AND 50% HARD …
CHICKEN PITA BREAD RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
PITA BREAD - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD | RECIPE | RECIPES, FOOD TEST, …
CHEF JOHN'S 5-STAR BREAD RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
HOMEMADE PITA BREAD RECIPE BY CHEF JOHN - ASKIDEAS.COM
CHEF JOHN’S PITA BREAD – ANGIE'S OPEN RECIPE BOX
PITA BREAD - K.CUNGCAP.NET
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD - PLAIN.RECIPES
FOOD WISHES VIDEO RECIPES: PITA BREAD – WHAT’S IN YOUR POCKET?
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD - DVO
BREAD RECIPE TASTY RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD RECIPE
PITA BREAD RECIPES OVEN - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD | RECIPE | BREAD, PITA BREAD, HOMEMADE …
PITA BREAD IDEAS FOR LUNCH RECIPES - TUTDEMY.COM
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD | RECIPE | HOMEMADE PITA BREAD, PITA BREAD ...
CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD - FLIPBOARD
TRYING CHEF JOHN'S PITA BREAD - YOUTUBE
CHEF JOHN RECIPES - ASKIDEAS.COM
CHEF JOHN’S PITA BREAD – MYCOOKBOOK.IE
PITA BREAD! - RUMBLE.COM
PITA BREAD – MARLENE'S FOOD BLOG
BEST PITA BREAD RECIPE - FOOD NEWS - FOODNEWSNEWS.COM
HOW TO MAKE PITA BREAD AT HOME - GRILLED FLATBREAD - YOUTUBE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make pita bread?Here is a very basic recipe if you want to bake pita breads. 1 Put the yeast, water, salt, oil, and 1 1/2 cups flour in the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with the bread hook and beat to make a batter. Add more flour until a rough, shaggy mass is formed.
Is chef John's Pita bread legit?I pita the fool! As an Arab American, I can attest that Chef John's recipe is legit. My family owns two specialty food markets in the Bay Area and we get pita bread from some of the best companies in the States. Called Crossroads Specialty Foods (@Chef John, you should visit us in Palo Alto or Hayward, you'll have a field day).
How do you cook pita bread in a cast iron skillet?Let dough round rest for 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough balls. Brush a cast-iron skillet with remaining 3/4 teaspoon olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Lay pita bread into hot skillet and cook until bread begins to puff up and bottom has brown spots and blisters, about 3 minutes.
How to make bread with yeast?1 Put the yeast, water, salt, oil, and 1 1/2 cups flour in the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with the bread hook and beat to make a batter. Add more flour until a rough, shaggy mass is formed.