MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE
Sweet and savory stewed chicken with dried fruits and exotic spices. Serve this on top of couscous and top with toasted almonds and fresh cilantro. Children love the familiarity of the 'sweet' spices and dried fruits.
Provided by Chef Kelly
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Mix cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, coriander, ginger, mint, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Measure out 1/2 cup spice mix and set the remaining aside for another use.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil; add apricots and raisins. Cook until fruit is soft, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- Pour enough olive oil into a large skillet or Dutch oven to coat the bottom; turn heat to medium. Coat chicken with the 1/2 cup spice mix and place in the hot oil; cook until golden brown and releases easily from the skillet, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Mix onion and garlic into skillet with chicken; cook and stir until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apricots, raisins, reserved 1/2 cup water from fruit, chicken broth, and honey; reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until chicken is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve chicken garnished with cilantro and almonds.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 370.8 calories, Carbohydrate 35.8 g, Cholesterol 43.5 mg, Fat 20.4 g, Fiber 6.7 g, Protein 15.4 g, SaturatedFat 3.7 g, Sodium 1375.1 mg, Sugar 22.3 g
CHICKEN AND CHICKPEA TAGINE
Like many dishes that rely on combinations of spices, a tagine, which is a slowly braised stew, may look more intimidating to cook than it is. Even with shortcuts, the results are exotic in flavor and appearance. My version of this tagine may not compare to those that begin with toasting and grinding spices and peeling grapes, but it is easily executed and, I think, divine. Some things to look out for: First, work with dark-meat chicken only and be aware that tagines are on the dry side, so don't add liquid to the sauce unless it is threatening to burn. Home-cooked chickpeas and fresh tomatoes are, of course, preferable to canned varieties, but in this dish the differences are not marked. Do, however, use a vanilla bean, not vanilla extract.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories dinner, one pot, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Put oil and butter in a large skillet or casserole, which can be covered later, and turn heat to medium high. When butter melts, add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it softens, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, a large pinch of salt and spices. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, raisins and vanilla, and bring to a boil. (If mixture is very dry, add about 1/2 cup water.) Taste, and add salt as necessary.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt, and nestle them into sauce. Cover, and 5 minutes later adjust heat so mixture simmers steadily. Cook until chicken is very tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Then garnish, and serve with couscous.
CHICKEN TAGINE WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES
I just bought a Moroccan tagine and had to try it out. After browsing online for recipes, I ventured to prepare something and ended up with my own recipe for chicken tagine with dried cranberries. You can also make this in a slow cooker, see the footnote below. It came out yummy! Enjoy over rice or couscous.
Provided by Milly Suazo-Martinez
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Mix lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and pepper together in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat. Cover and let sit in a refrigerator for 2 hours, up to overnight.
- When ready to start, line a tagine with sliced carrots.
- Heat another 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Brown 1/2 of the chicken pieces, skin-side down, turning over once, 5 to 7 minutes. You are just browning it, not cooking it through. Take out of the skillet and place on top of the carrots, then brown the remaining pieces of chicken. Once those are browned, but not cooked through, arrange on top of the carrots also. The idea is that the chicken does not touch the bottom of the tagine, only the carrots.
- Add onion to the same skillet and saute over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic; saute for 30 seconds. Stir in potatoes and saute, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, cranberries, and parsley; stir well and keep sauteing over medium heat until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle the chicken bouillon granules over the mixture while it cooks.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and carrots. Place the tagine over low heat, making sure any open flames do not touch the bottom of the pot. Drizzle remaining olive oil over top. Pour wine over top and cover.
- Cook over low heat until potatoes are soft and chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 630.5 calories, Carbohydrate 40.6 g, Cholesterol 132.6 mg, Fat 30.3 g, Fiber 5.1 g, Protein 47.2 g, SaturatedFat 5.8 g, Sodium 829.6 mg, Sugar 12.2 g
More about "chicken and merguez tagine recipes"
THIS CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE HAS LOTS OF INGREDIENTS …
MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE, TRADITIONAL RECIPE
AN EASY, AUTHENTIC, MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE
RECIPE: MERGUEZ AND CHICKPEA TAGINE | STUFF.CO.NZ
BEST CHICKEN TAGINE WITH COUSCOUS RECIPE-HOW TO …
MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
10 CLASSIC MOROCCAN TAGINE RECIPES THAT YOU HAVE TO TRY
MOROCCAN MERGUEZ AND VEGETABLE TAGINE RECIPE - FOOD …
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE | CRICKET CARA GLENNON TRUAX | COPY …
CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE - HEALTHY RECIPES 101
CHICKEN BASQUAISE WITH MERGUEZ SAUSAGES - LINSFOOD
MOROCCAN MERGUEZ AND VEGETABLE TAGINE RECIPE — THE FARM …
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
ANDREW ZIMMERN COOKS: CHICKEN, MERGUEZ SAUSAGE & ARTICHOKE …
17 MOROCCAN TAGINE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE - INSANELY GOOD
CHICKEN TAGINE | RECIPETIN EATS
CHICKEN TAGINE — BIT SPICY
MOROCCAN MERGUEZ TAGINE - FIRSTHAND FOODS
MOROCCAN MERGUEZ AND VEGETABLE TAGINE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE | RECIPE | TAGINE, FOOD NETWORK …
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE | RECIPE | TAGINE, FOOD NETWORK RECIPES …
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE- WIKIFOODHUB
MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE - AFRICAN FOOD NETWORK
SHEET-PAN CHICKEN “TAGINE” | RICARDO
CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE WITH OLIVES AND LEMONS - OLIVIA'S CUISINE
TRADITIONAL MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE - FIT MEN COOK
MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE WITH COUSCOUS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CHICKEN AND EGGPLANT TAGINE - DELICIOUSLY MEDITERRANEAN
ONE PAN CHICKEN TAGINE - ONCE UPON A FOOD BLOG
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE WITH CHICKPEAS, FENNEL, AND APRICOTS …
MOROCCAN MERGUEZ AND VEGETABLE TAGINE RECIPE — WURSTHAUS …
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE BY MARC MURPHY IN 2021 | TAGINE …
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE | RECIPE | TAGINE, TAGINE RECIPES, …
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE | RECIPE IN 2021 | FOOD NETWORK …
MOROCCAN MERGUEZ SAUSAGE AND EGG TAGINE - THE SPRUCE EATS
MOROCCAN CHICKEN TAGINE WITH PRESERVED LEMONS, GREEN OLIVES AND ...
JAMIE OLIVER CHICKEN TAGINE - CHEFS & RECIPES
SOUL-WARMING CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE | LITTLE SPICE JAR
CHICKEN AND MERGUEZ TAGINE - WANNACOOKING.COM
Merguez and Chicken Tagine | A dish that will warm your heart | Merguez Tagine1.3K views-03:49
Chicken tagine with caramelised pears recipe - Allrecipes.co.uk8.8K views-02:28
Moroccan Chicken Tagine Recipe | Flavor Makers | McCormick2.2M views-04:41
How to Make A Chicken Tagine Recipe - Homemade by SORTED342K views-08:17
Lemon And Olive Chicken Tagine Recipe30K views-01:03
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is Moroccan Chicken Tagine?This Moroccan chicken is braised with olives, garlic, onion, spices, and lemon. The mix of spices and lemon gives the chicken a fragrant aroma and an otherworldly flavor. Traditionally, chicken tagine uses preserved lemons, which are a bit difficult to find here in the US. That said, we’ll settle for fresh lemon juice and zest for this recipe.
How to cook chicken and eggplant tagine?Chicken and eggplant tagine is an easy one-pot meal with loads of flavour. Heat the tagine on low-heat, once the base has warmed up, increase the heat to medium-high. Add the olive oil and ghee, once the ghee is melted and simmers, add the cumin seeds and cinnamon stick to the oil.
How do you cook merguez with chicken broth?Add 3 cups of chicken broth and allow to bubble for 5 minutes. Place the merguez, plus the oil rendered from the merguez, and the remaining vegetables into the pot. Add the chickpeas, dried apricots and the raisins. Continue to cook over medium for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the merguez is cooked through.
What is a merguez tagine?As you may know, we are big fans of merguez, a spicy Middle Eastern lamb sausage, so a merguez tagine was naturally a big hit at our last test kitchen. For many people across North Africa, tagine is the quintessential comfort food, cooked in a vessel also called a tagine. You can use a Dutch oven or other heavy pot if you don’t have a tagine.