CAJUN CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO
This is a Cajun-style gumbo made with a seasoned roux, a classic from the bayous of south Louisiana. I revised the recipe after many, many trials. Serve it hot over cooked rice or with potato salad.
Provided by Jodi Hanlon
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, whisk in flour. Continue whisking until the roux has cooked to the color of chocolate milk, 8 to 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn the roux. If you see black specks in the mixture, start over.
- Stir onion, bell pepper, celery, and sausage into the roux; cook 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning; blend thoroughly. Pour in the chicken broth and add the bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken, and simmer 1 hour more. Skim off any foam that floats to the top during the last hour.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 479.9 calories, Carbohydrate 14.5 g, Cholesterol 56.3 mg, Fat 39.5 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 16.1 g, SaturatedFat 9 g, Sodium 1182.6 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
DUPRE FAMILY CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO
- Peel back the skin from the chicken drumsticks and breasts without removing the skin, and make several deep cuts in the chicken meat. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning into the cuts and onto the meat, then replace the skin. Whisk 1/2 cup olive oil and white wine together in a bowl. Place the chicken into a large bowl, pour the olive oil mixture over, stir to coat, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, and discard the marinade. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet until the oil shimmers, and brown the chicken pieces over medium heat, working in batches if necessary, about 5 minutes per side. Place all the chicken pieces into a large soup pot, and pour the broth over the chicken. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook the chicken until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering, place the onion, green bell pepper, and celery into a skillet with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and cook and stir until the onions are transparent and the peppers have softened, about 8 minutes. Set the onion mixture aside.
- Make a roux: mix flour and canola oil together in a nonstick pan, stirring the mixture together until smooth and lump-free. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent burning. After about 5 minutes of stirring, the roux will begin to turn a pale golden color, and gently bubble and foam. Stir the roux until it turns the color of milk chocolate and gives off a nutty fragrance, about 30 to 40 more minutes. Watch carefully because it's easy to burn the roux. Pull the pan from the hot burner, and stir until the roux cools and stops cooking, about 5 more minutes.
- Stir the onion mixture and 1 cup of boiling water into the roux (be careful to avoid spattering), heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a simmer, and whisk until the roux and water combine and become thick, about 10 minutes. Pour the thickened roux into the pot with the chicken, stir together, and add 9 more cups of boiling water. Season the gumbo with 2 more teaspoons of Cajun seasoning, or to taste, and bring the soup to a rolling boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and cayenne pepper over the smoked sausage, and brown in a skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Transfer the sausage into the soup, and simmer for 30 more minutes. Remove the chicken pieces, and take the chicken meat off the bones, discarding the skin and bones. Return the chicken meat to the soup. Simmer 15 more minutes, and skim off the layer of oil that has formed on top of the gumbo.
- While the gumbo is simmering, bring the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve gumbo over hot, cooked rice with a generous sprinkling of chopped green onions over each serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 824.6 calories, Carbohydrate 31.5 g, Cholesterol 129.5 mg, Fat 57.5 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 41.7 g, SaturatedFat 12 g, Sodium 1206 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
CHICKEN AND SMOKED SAUSAGE GUMBO
- Combine the oil and flour in a large cast iron or enameled cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Add the sausage, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves. Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth. Stir until the roux mixture and water are well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Season the chicken with the rub and add to the pot. Simmer for 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, green onions, and file powder. Remove the bay leaves and serve in deep bowls.
- Combine all ingredients and store in an air-tight container.
CHICKEN, CRAWFISH, AND SAUSAGE GUMBO
Rick, silky, and delcious, this is a nice thick gumbo that is not too hot. I'm usually all about fast and easy, but this recipe is a real treat that I think is worth the extra time it takes to have the ingredients and prepare. We buy the crawfish shelled and ready to dump in the pot from the freezer section of our grocery store.
Provided by ctrmom
Yield 10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Start by making the chicken stock. Boil the chicken and boullion in 10 cups of water.
- Make roux by browning the flour in the butter. Cook and stir until dark brown.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the roux and cook them until soft.
- Remove the chicken from the stock and set aside. Stir the roux mixture slowly into the hot stock.
- Add seasonings and tomatoes, okra, and sausages. Chop the chicken and add it back into the stock as well.
- Simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
- Add the crawfish. Increase the heat and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and let sit while you prepare rice.
- Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 787.2, Fat 43.7, SaturatedFat 19.9, Cholesterol 152.8, Sodium 1983.1, Carbohydrate 63.7, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 10.9, Protein 34.5
SPICY RED FILE-THICKENED GUMBO WITH CRAWFISH AND ANDOUILLE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 29
- In a bowl blend together the crawfish seasoning mixture. Add the crawfish tails, and reserve in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Make the gumbo: Place the vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. When it's smoking, add the flour, about 1/3 at a time, whisking well after each addition. Cook over fairly high heat, whisking constantly, until the roux reaches a dark, reddish brown, about 10 minutes. If the roux seems about to burn (you'll start to notice a burning smell), move the pan off the heat for a few minutes continuing to whisk. When the roux is ready, add the garlic, onions, celery, bell peppers, and scallions. Place the pan over low heat, and cook the vegetables in the roux for 5 minutes. Bring the stock to a boil in a large soup pot. When the vegetables have cooked in the roux, add the roux-vegetable mixture to the boiling stock by 1/4 cupfuls, blending well. Crush the tomatoes in your hands, and add them, along with the liquid in the cans, to the soup pot. Add the bay leaves, thyme, oregano, allspice, cayenne, cloves, hot sauce and lemon juice. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for20 minutes, partially covered. Add the andouille and simmer the gumbo for another 20 minutes, partially covered. Add the seasoned crawfish tails, and simmer for 5 minutes. Off the heat, blend in the file powder, blending until the desired thickness is reached. Taste for seasoning. Serve immediately over rice. Garnish with the whole, boiled crawfish.;
More about "chicken crawfish and sausage gumbo recipes"
SEAFOOD CHICKEN & ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE GUMBO | I HEART RECIPES
4.9/5 (31)Total Time 2 hrs 15 minsCategory Dinner
- Season the chicken with 1 tsp poultry seasoning,1 tsp seasoning salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp garlic powder.
CREOLE CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE - COOP CAN COOK
SEAFOOD SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE | TASTING TABLE
4.7/5 (42)Category Main CourseCuisine Regional American, SouthernTotal Time 2 hrs 30 mins
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, whisk in the flour to form a roux. Cook the roux, stirring constantly, until almost black in color, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the shrimp stock while constantly stirring until the stock is fully incorporated into the roux. Add the tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, dried basil, onion powder, cayenne, garlic, celery, bay leaves, peppers and onion. Bring to a simmer, then cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 hour.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the rice, and simmer until the seafood is cooked and the okra is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with a scoop of rice on top. *This article was originally published on 07/17/2016 by Tasting Table editors. The restaurant, chef and/or recipe are in no way affiliated with or endorsing the featured sponsor.
CRAWFISH GUMBO - LOUISIANA COOKIN
Estimated Reading Time 50 secs
A LOUISIANA RECIPE: SEAFOOD GUMBO WITH CRAWFISH, SHRIMP ...
CRAWFISH AND SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE | LOUISIANA TRAVEL
CRAWFISH AND SAUSAGE JAMBALAYA | EMERILS.COM
10 BEST SHRIMP CRAWFISH GUMBO RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHICKEN SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO - IMMACULATE BITES
4.9/5 (99)Total Time 1 hr 50 minsCategory MainCalories 619 per serving
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed Dutch Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, and then remove. Set aside.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring continuously, for about 20-30 minutes or until it turns a rich dark brown color - just like chocolate. Don’t walk away from the stove during this process. It might burn.
EASY CAJUN GUMBO RECIPE - READY IN AN HOUR! - HOUSE OF ...
3/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory DinnerCalories 682 per serving
- Make the roux by combining the flour and oil in a large dutch oven or other large heavy-bottomed pot. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 30-45 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until dark brown, almost chocolate colored, and about cookie dough consistency. May need to add more oil or flour.
- Brown the sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place them in an even layer and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, working in batches if needed. Use a fork to flip them. Transfer to a plate when done.
- Add remaining broth, vegetables, parsley, and roux and stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the celery, peppers, and onions start to soften. Add cajun seasoning and stir.
HOW TO MAKE AUTHENTIC CAJUN CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO
Reviews 8Calories 200 per servingCategory Entrees
- Brown the mixture over medium heat until dark brown, constantly stirring to ensure the flour mixture does not burn. It will smell nutty. (This will take between 30-45 minutes total.)
CAJUN STYLE SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO | JENNIFER COOKS
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsServings 10
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy iron skillet, lightly brown sausage in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon grease.
- When sausage is lightly browned and rendered of fat, remove it to a plate with a slotted spoon and pour drippings in a heatproof measuring cup.
CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO | REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM: LA ...
5/5 (7)Total Time 2 minsCategory Main DishesLocation Lafayette, Louisiana
- In large stock pot, add chicken, water, boullion, and a little salt and pepper. Boil about 30 minutes, or until done.
- Meanwhile, chop veggies and set aside. When chicken is finished, reserve the broth and set the chicken aside to cool slightly.
- Using a wire whisk, mix in flour. Continue whisking constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter.
CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE | LOUISIANA TRAVEL
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until browned. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Cook chicken in reserved drippings in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes or until browned. Remove to paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add enough oil to drippings in Dutch oven to measure 1/2 cup. Add flour, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 20 to 25 minutes, or until roux is chocolate colored.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook, stirring often, 8 minutes or until tender. Gradually add 2 quarts hot water, and bring mixture to a boil; add chicken, garlic, and next 5 ingredients.
- Add sausage to gumbo; cook 30 minutes. Stir in green onions; cook for 30 more minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Remove gumbo from heat. Sprinkle with filé powder, if desired. Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.
CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO | SOUTHERN LIVING
5/5 (3)Total Time 3 hrs 55 mins
SHRIMP & SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE AND SPICES | SPICE HOUSE ...
CHICKEN AND SMOKED SAUSAGE GUMBO | EMERILS.COM
CAJUN GUMBO WITH CHICKEN AND ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE RECIPE
RECIPES WITH CRAWFISH
CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO | LOUISIANA KITCHEN & CULTURE
CHICKEN, CRAWFISH, AND SAUSAGE GUMBO
CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE | LOUISIANA TRAVEL
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make gumbo with chicken and crawfish?Remove from heat and slowly whisk in water; add onion, garlic, parsley, celery, salt, black pepper, okra, chicken, and sausage. Simmer for 2 hours or until chicken is tender and gumbo is thickened; stir in crawfish tails, if using, for the last 10 minutes.
How to make Cajun Chicken and sausage gumbo?Directions Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, whisk in flour. Stir onion, bell pepper, celery, and sausage into the roux; cook 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
How to make gumbo with sausage and scallions?While simmering, saute sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned on all sides. Add sausage to gumbo. Taste gumbo and season lightly with salt. Simmer for 2 hours. After simmering, add chicken, chopped scallions, and parsley to gumbo. Stir well and continue to simmer for 30 minutes longer.
How do you make crawfish and sausage jambalaya?Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and season with the salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, tomatoes, garlic, and crawfish and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.