- Cut chicken breasts into 1 x 3 inch strips, and dredge in flour.
- In 10 inch skillet, heat oil and butter. Add chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides (3 to 4 minutes). Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet. Set aside and keep warm.
- To same skillet, add shallots and garlic. Saute until softened (1 minute). Add water, wine, broth mix, and seasonings. Mix well. Cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced by 1/2 (3 to 4 minutes). Return chicken to skillet, and cook until sauce is thick and chicken is heated through (2 to 3 minutes).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 580.1 calories, Carbohydrate 14.3 g, Cholesterol 175.8 mg, Fat 21.4 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 67.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.4 g, Sodium 1085.8 mg, Sugar 1 g
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Cut chicken into large chunks and season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin oil to the hot pan, 1 turn in a slow stream. Set chicken into pan and do not turn for 2 or 3 minutes or you will tear the meat. Brown chicken 3 minutes on each side and then remove all of the chicken to a warm plate. Add bell peppers, hot peppers and garlic to the pan. Saute the peppers and garlic for 5 minutes, tossing and turning them frequently. Add wine to the pan and reduce 1 minute. Scrape up the pan drippings. Add the chicken stock and bring it up to a bubble. Set the chicken back into the pan. Toss the parsley with the chicken and peppers and cook the chicken through, 2 or 3 minutes. Scatter a little hot pepper juice over the pan and serve the Scarpariello over a bed of lemon orzo. WOW!
- Cook orzo in salted water about 12 minutes, to al dente. Drain orzo well. Do not run under cold water. You want the cooked pasta to remain hot. Transfer pasta to a serving bowl. Drizzle orzo with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add lemon zest and parsley and toss to combine the flavors with the pasta.
Many Italian-American families have their own riff on this homey chicken-and-sausage dish: Some add sweet peppers, others white wine. Flour dusted on the chicken thighs helps them brown; it forms a nice crust and also thickens the sauce at the end. Braised in a broth that is infused with rosemary, shallots, and pickled peppers (plus a splash of pickling brine for zip), the meats get super-tender-and the aroma is sublime.
Provided by Greg Lofts
Yield Serves 4 to 6
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper; lightly dust with flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a braiser pan or a large straight-sided ovenproof skillet over medium-high. When it shimmers, add chicken, skin-side down, in a single layer.
- Cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate. Add sausages to pan and cook, turning a few times, until browned all over but not cooked through, about 5 minutes; transfer to plate with chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium; add shallots and garlic to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden in places, about 3 minutes. Add rosemary and pepper brine; cook until liquid has mostly evaporated, a few seconds. Add broth and lemon juice; boil until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan, skin-side up, along with peppers. Transfer pan to oven; roast 15 minutes. Meanwhile, slice sausages on the bias into thirds; nestle into skillet.
- Continue cooking until a thermometer inserted in chicken (near but not touching bones) registers 165°F and sausages are just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Serve warm with bread.
RAO'S CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO (SHOEMAKER'S CHICKEN)
Chicken scarpariello, also known as shoemaker's chicken, is a classic Italian-American dish of chicken, sausage, vinegar, onions and peppers that has all the flavors and textures: Tangy and rich, spicy and sweet, tender and crunchy. Our version is adapted from one found on the menu at Rao's, the reservations-impossible Southern Italian restaurant and celebrity hangout in Harlem. It starts with pan-frying chicken pieces and Italian sausage in a little olive oil until golden brown. Bell peppers, jalapeños, onion and garlic go into the pan and are sautéed until soft. All of that - plus hot peppers, potatoes, vinegar and wine - goes into a roasting pan and into a hot oven until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through. (The potatoes are totally optional, by the way, but they are a nice, pillowy counterpoint to the prickly heat of the peppers.) Serve with a hunk of good bread to mop up the sauce.
Provided by Jason Epstein
Categories dinner, poultry, main course
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. In batches, brown the chicken, skin side down to start, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a plate. Add the sausage and sauté until brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. (They will not be cooked all the way through at this point.) Remove with a slotted spoon, cut into 1-inch slices and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from the pot and sauté the bell peppers, jalapeños, onion and garlic until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Return the sausage to pot, add the cherry peppers, potatoes (if using), chicken broth, wine, vinegar, oregano and season with salt and pepper. Gently mix together, then transfer everything in the pot to a roasting pan. Nestle the chicken in the vegetables and sausage and roast in the oven until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced slightly, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 890, UnsaturatedFat 42 grams, Carbohydrate 16 grams, Fat 67 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 51 grams, SaturatedFat 20 grams, Sodium 1297 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
Provided by Anne Burrell
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Coat a large, wide pan with olive oil and bring the pan to a medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown well. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and add to the pan that the sausage was browned in. Brown the chicken well. Once the chicken is brown on all sides, remove it from the pan and reserve.
- Drain the oil from the pan and return it to the heat. Coat the pan lightly with new olive oil, add the onions, and season with salt. Cook the onions over medium heat until they are translucent and very aromatic, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add the wine to the pan and reduce it by half. While the wine is reducing, scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the sausage and chicken to the pan and add the cherry peppers, cherry pepper juice, chicken stock, and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes; add more chicken stock if the stock has reduced too much.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed. The finished dish should be slightly soupy, spicy, and delicious.
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°. Toss potatoes with 3 Tbsp. oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Arrange cut side down and roast on lower rack until tender and cut sides are browned, 20-30 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook sausages, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 6-8 minutes (they will not be fully cooked). Transfer to a plate.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook in same skillet, turning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, 8-10 minutes (they will also be undercooked). Transfer to plate with sausage.
- Cook onions, bell pepper, and garlic in same skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan, until tender and beginning to brown, 10-12 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and you can no longer smell the alcohol, about 8 minutes. Add broth, peppers, vinegar, and rosemary and bring to a boil; cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Nestle chicken into onion mixture, then transfer skillet to upper rack of oven and roast chicken 10 minutes. Add sausages to skillet, pushing them into onion mixture, and continue to roast until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 5-10 minutes.
- Top with parsley and serve with roasted potatoes alongside.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO (ROAST CHICKEN IN LEMON&WINE)
Posted for ZWT 2006 (Italian region), this is a light (as in not going to feel heavy on your stomach but full flavored roast chicken dish in a heavenly white wine/lemon/rosemary sauce. Don't let the long direction list throw you; it's not difficult at all. I make NO claims in this recipe that it is light in fat or low cal; make it knowing that please.
Provided by JanetB-KY
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together the flour and oregano, and season with salt and pepper.
- Rinse and dry the chicken pieces, and then dredge them lightly in the seaoned flour mixture.
- In a heavy, ovenproof skillet, large enough to hold all of the chicken pieces, heat the olive oil, and then brown the chicken well on all sides over medium heat; be careful not to burn the oil by using too hot of a heat.
- Once all of the pieces are well browned, remove them to a plate.
- Pour out the left over oil in the pan, leaving just a tablespoon or two with the browned bits at the bottom; add the onion and cook until soft, and then add the garlic.
- As soon as the garlic begins to sizzle, add the wine, and stir the browned bits at the bottom while you reduce the wine by half over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Break up the rosemary into pieces, and add it to the sauce.
- Return the chicken pieces to the skillet, and spoon the sauce over top; bake the chicken until done, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a warmed platter, and bring the remaining sauce to a boil; add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the tablespoon of flour with 1 tablespoon of softened butter; add the remaining butter to the sauce in the skillet, and mix well.
- Remove the rosemary pieces from the sauce; if the sauce is thin, stir in a little of the flour and butter mixture, whisking continuously to prevent lumps; once the sauce has thickened, add the chopped parsley, and pour the sauce over the chicken on the platter. Serve immediately.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and let sit a few minutes Heat butter and olive oil in a large frying pan on med/low heat. Add garlic and saute just until garlic softens, do not brown.
- Add chicken and saute until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and saute about 3 minutes Add all other ingredients except wine and saute about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer for about 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens slightly
Nutrition Facts : Calories 969.5, Fat 77, SaturatedFat 29.2, Cholesterol 217.3, Sodium 1957.7, Carbohydrate 10.6, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 2, Protein 53.2
More about "chicken scarpariello recipes"
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS RECIPE
4.8/5 (98)Estimated Reading Time 5 minsServings 4
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°. Toss potatoes with 3 Tbsp. oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Arrange cut side down and roast on lower rack until tender and cut sides are browned, 20–30 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook sausages, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 6–8 minutes (they will not be fully cooked). Transfer to a plate.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook in same skillet, turning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, 8–10 minutes (they will also be undercooked). Transfer to plate with sausage.
- Cook onions, bell pepper, and garlic in same skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan, until tender and beginning to brown, 10–12 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and you can no longer smell the alcohol, about 8 minutes. Add broth, peppers, vinegar, and rosemary and bring to a boil; cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Nestle chicken into onion mixture, then transfer skillet to upper rack of oven and roast chicken 10 minutes. Add sausages to skillet, pushing them into onion mixture, and continue to roast until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 5–10 minutes.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.3/5 (12)Category Entree, DinnerCuisine ItalianTotal Time 50 mins
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - FOX AND BRIAR
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - LIDIA
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - A FAMILY FEAST®
10 BEST CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH SAUSAGE RECIPES
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO | COOK'S COUNTRY RECIPE
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH PICKLED PEPPERS RECIPE
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH SAUSAGE
THIS CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE HAS A SAUCE WE WANT …
BEST CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE …
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - THE ITALIAN CHEF
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - GRACE PARISI | FOOD & WINE
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO (ITALIAN SWEET-AND-SOUR CHICKEN WITH SAUSAGE)
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO – SHOEMAKER’S CHICKEN WITH SAUSAGE
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO (BRAISED CHICKEN WITH SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS) …
THE BEST CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH CHERRY PEPPERS - SIP AND FEAST
RECIPE: CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE & SWEET …
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - ITALIAN CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - SKINNYTASTE
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - LAURA IN THE KITCHEN
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE (BRAISED CHICKEN WITH MIXED PEPPERS …
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO (CLASSIC BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH SAUSAGE) …
AUTHENTIC CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - MASHED
QUICK CHICKEN SCARPIELLO | RECIPE - RACHAEL RAY SHOW
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - THE SUBURBAN SOAPBOX
MOUTHWATERING CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE – DAILY APPETITE
CHICKEN RECIPE MARIO BATALI SCARPARIELLO
BEST CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ... - DELISH
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO | EMERILS.COM
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - FEAST AND MERRIMENT
CHICKEN RECIPE MARIO SCARPARIELLO BATALI
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO (PLUS VIDEO) - IMMACULATE BITES
CARMINE'S ITALIAN RESTAURANT COPYCAT CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - FEED YOUR SOUL TOO
5 BEST SIDE DISHES FOR CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - COOKINDOCS.COM
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO | AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN RECIPE
10 BEST CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH SAUSAGE RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE MARIO BATALI: AMAZING 7 WAYS TO …
#weeknight #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #main-dish #poultry #easy #dinner-party #kid-friendly #chicken #dietary #comfort-food #meat #taste-mood #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love