Many Italian-American families have their own riff on this homey chicken-and-sausage dish: Some add sweet peppers, others white wine. Flour dusted on the chicken thighs helps them brown; it forms a nice crust and also thickens the sauce at the end. Braised in a broth that is infused with rosemary, shallots, and pickled peppers (plus a splash of pickling brine for zip), the meats get super-tender-and the aroma is sublime.
Provided by Greg Lofts
Yield Serves 4 to 6
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper; lightly dust with flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a braiser pan or a large straight-sided ovenproof skillet over medium-high. When it shimmers, add chicken, skin-side down, in a single layer.
- Cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate. Add sausages to pan and cook, turning a few times, until browned all over but not cooked through, about 5 minutes; transfer to plate with chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium; add shallots and garlic to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden in places, about 3 minutes. Add rosemary and pepper brine; cook until liquid has mostly evaporated, a few seconds. Add broth and lemon juice; boil until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan, skin-side up, along with peppers. Transfer pan to oven; roast 15 minutes. Meanwhile, slice sausages on the bias into thirds; nestle into skillet.
- Continue cooking until a thermometer inserted in chicken (near but not touching bones) registers 165°F and sausages are just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Serve warm with bread.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1 x 3 inch strips, and dredge in flour.
- In 10 inch skillet, heat oil and butter. Add chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides (3 to 4 minutes). Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet. Set aside and keep warm.
- To same skillet, add shallots and garlic. Saute until softened (1 minute). Add water, wine, broth mix, and seasonings. Mix well. Cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced by 1/2 (3 to 4 minutes). Return chicken to skillet, and cook until sauce is thick and chicken is heated through (2 to 3 minutes).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 580.1 calories, Carbohydrate 14.3 g, Cholesterol 175.8 mg, Fat 21.4 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 67.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.4 g, Sodium 1085.8 mg, Sugar 1 g
RAO'S CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO (SHOEMAKER'S CHICKEN)
Chicken scarpariello, also known as shoemaker's chicken, is a classic Italian-American dish of chicken, sausage, vinegar, onions and peppers that has all the flavors and textures: Tangy and rich, spicy and sweet, tender and crunchy. Our version is adapted from one found on the menu at Rao's, the reservations-impossible Southern Italian restaurant and celebrity hangout in Harlem. It starts with pan-frying chicken pieces and Italian sausage in a little olive oil until golden brown. Bell peppers, jalapeños, onion and garlic go into the pan and are sautéed until soft. All of that - plus hot peppers, potatoes, vinegar and wine - goes into a roasting pan and into a hot oven until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through. (The potatoes are totally optional, by the way, but they are a nice, pillowy counterpoint to the prickly heat of the peppers.) Serve with a hunk of good bread to mop up the sauce.
Provided by Jason Epstein
Categories dinner, poultry, main course
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. In batches, brown the chicken, skin side down to start, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a plate. Add the sausage and sauté until brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. (They will not be cooked all the way through at this point.) Remove with a slotted spoon, cut into 1-inch slices and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from the pot and sauté the bell peppers, jalapeños, onion and garlic until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Return the sausage to pot, add the cherry peppers, potatoes (if using), chicken broth, wine, vinegar, oregano and season with salt and pepper. Gently mix together, then transfer everything in the pot to a roasting pan. Nestle the chicken in the vegetables and sausage and roast in the oven until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced slightly, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 890, UnsaturatedFat 42 grams, Carbohydrate 16 grams, Fat 67 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 51 grams, SaturatedFat 20 grams, Sodium 1297 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Cut chicken into large chunks and season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin oil to the hot pan, 1 turn in a slow stream. Set chicken into pan and do not turn for 2 or 3 minutes or you will tear the meat. Brown chicken 3 minutes on each side and then remove all of the chicken to a warm plate. Add bell peppers, hot peppers and garlic to the pan. Saute the peppers and garlic for 5 minutes, tossing and turning them frequently. Add wine to the pan and reduce 1 minute. Scrape up the pan drippings. Add the chicken stock and bring it up to a bubble. Set the chicken back into the pan. Toss the parsley with the chicken and peppers and cook the chicken through, 2 or 3 minutes. Scatter a little hot pepper juice over the pan and serve the Scarpariello over a bed of lemon orzo. WOW!
- Cook orzo in salted water about 12 minutes, to al dente. Drain orzo well. Do not run under cold water. You want the cooked pasta to remain hot. Transfer pasta to a serving bowl. Drizzle orzo with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add lemon zest and parsley and toss to combine the flavors with the pasta.
Provided by Anne Burrell
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Coat a large, wide pan with olive oil and bring the pan to a medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown well. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and add to the pan that the sausage was browned in. Brown the chicken well. Once the chicken is brown on all sides, remove it from the pan and reserve.
- Drain the oil from the pan and return it to the heat. Coat the pan lightly with new olive oil, add the onions, and season with salt. Cook the onions over medium heat until they are translucent and very aromatic, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add the wine to the pan and reduce it by half. While the wine is reducing, scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the sausage and chicken to the pan and add the cherry peppers, cherry pepper juice, chicken stock, and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes; add more chicken stock if the stock has reduced too much.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed. The finished dish should be slightly soupy, spicy, and delicious.
More about "chicken scarpariello recipes"
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS RECIPE | …
5/5 (69)Estimated Reading Time 5 minsServings 4
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°. Toss potatoes with 3 Tbsp. oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Arrange cut side down and roast on lower rack until tender and cut sides are browned, 20–30 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook sausages, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 6–8 minutes (they will not be fully cooked). Transfer to a plate.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook in same skillet, turning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, 8–10 minutes (they will also be undercooked). Transfer to plate with sausage.
- Cook onions, bell pepper, and garlic in same skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan, until tender and beginning to brown, 10–12 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and you can no longer smell the alcohol, about 8 minutes. Add broth, peppers, vinegar, and rosemary and bring to a boil; cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Nestle chicken into onion mixture, then transfer skillet to upper rack of oven and roast chicken 10 minutes. Add sausages to skillet, pushing them into onion mixture, and continue to roast until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 5–10 minutes.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.2/5 (6)Category Entree, DinnerCuisine ItalianTotal Time 50 mins
THIS CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE HAS A SAUCE WE WANT TO ...
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - GONNA WANT SECONDS
5/5 (1)Calories 793 per servingCategory Main Course
- Make the Potatoes; Adjust 2 oven racks to the upper and lower thirds position and preheat it to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the cut potatoes with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil then generously season them with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes cut side down on the baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven, on the lower rack, until browned and tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the chicken; Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When it begins to shimmer, add the chicken, skin side down and cook without moving until well browned about 3-5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and brown on the other side, adjusting the heat as needed, about 3 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside. Leave the oil in the skillet.
- Add sausage to skillet and cook over medium heat, breaking it up into 1/2 inch pieces, until its browned, about 3 minutes. Remove sausage to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Remove skillet from heat and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add the onions, red bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, until the vegetables are soft, 10-12 minutes. Add the wine and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the wine has evaporated about 8 minutes. Add broth, Peppadews, vinegar, and rosemary and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and vigorously simmer until slightly reduced about 5 minutes.
THE BEST CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH CHERRY PEPPERS - SIP ...
Ratings 1Calories 776 per servingCategory Main Course
- Toss the potatoes with a 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with 1 teaspoon salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Roast potatoes cut side down on parchment paper or oiled baking tray (do not crowd) for 30 minutes at 425f or until crisp.
- In a large oven-safe pan sear the sausage links over medium heat until brown but not cooked through all the way (about 10 minutes total). Remove sausage and set aside. When the links are cool slice them on a bias.
- Dry off the chicken pieces with paper towels and season with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. In the same pan, sear the chicken pieces skin side down until well brown and crisp (about 5-7 minutes). If required use a couple of teaspoons of olive oil for searing. Remove chicken and set aside.
- To the same pan add the garlic cloves and saute until golden, then add in the cherry peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
MOUTHWATERING CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - DAILY APPETITE
3.9/5 (12)Total Time 1 hr 12 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 318 per serving
- Add sausage and stir and cook until all sides are browned. About 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add chicken thighs in a single layer. (Cook in batches if necessary) Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook each side for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - A FAMILY FEAST®
3/5 (2)Category EntreeCuisine Italian-AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
- In a large skillet over medium high heat (ours was 12” across and 3” deep with straight sides), place the three tablespoons of olive oil and once shimmering, lay the chicken thighs in, skin down and sear for five minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Flip and cook for three more minutes then remove to a waiting platter.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - GRACE PARISI | FOOD & WINE
5/5 Total Time 40 minsServings 4
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with flour. In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned and crusty on both sides, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for 3 minutes, until the garlic is lightly browned. Transfer the chicken to a platter, leaving the rosemary and garlic in the skillet.
- Add the stock to the skillet and cook over high heat, scraping up any browned bits, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and butter and swirl until emulsified. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Add the peppers and cook, turning the chicken until coated in the sauce, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken and sauce to the platter and serve.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - FOX AND BRIAR
5/5 (1)Category DinnersCuisine American, ItalianCalories 530 per serving
- When oil is hot, sear the chicken until browned on the outside and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - THE SUBURBAN SOAPBOX
Cuisine ItalianCategory DinnerServings 6Total Time 1 hr 5 mins
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or deep skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken, skin side down, to the pot. Cook until crispy and golden, approximately 5-7 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for an addiional 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook until browned on all sides. (The sausage will not be cooked all the way through at this point.) Transfer to the same plate as the chicken.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE BY LIDIA BASTIANICH
3.4/5 (32)Estimated Reading Time 1 minServings 6Calories 365 per serving
- Season the chicken all over with the salt. Pour the olive oil into a large cast-iron skillet set over medium heat. Add ½ of the chicken and sausage (or use enough to fit in the skillet without crowding), and brown all over, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate, and repeat with the second batch of chicken and sausage.
- Return all of the chicken and sausage to the skillet. Add the garlic, and let everything brown and caramelize together for 3-4 minutes. Pour the vinegar into the skillet, bring to a boil, and cook until syrupy, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and sprinkle with the dried oregano. Cover the skillet, and cook until the chicken and sausage are glazed and the chicken is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE | ITALIAN RECIPES IN ENGLISH
AUTHENTIC CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE
4.9/5 (24)Calories 940 per servingCategory Dinner, Main Course, Chicken
BEST CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ...
Occupation Associate Food EditorTotal Time 1 hr 15 minsServings 6
RECIPE: CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE ...
4.2/5 Total Time 50 minsCuisine ItalianCalories 900 per serving
PASQUALE SCIARAPPA - CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE | FACEBOOK
RECIPES FOR CUT UP CHICKEN PIECES - FOODISTA | RECIPES ...
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO - LIDIA
COOKING SICILIAN: CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO RECIPE | LAURA IN THE KITCHEN ...
CHICKEN STARTER RECIPES : 12 MOUTH-WATERING WAYS TO COOK ...
CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO (CLASSIC BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH ...
#weeknight #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #main-dish #poultry #easy #dinner-party #kid-friendly #chicken #dietary #comfort-food #meat #taste-mood #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make Chicken Scarpariello in the oven?Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and lightly dust with flour, shaking off the excess. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Add the chicken thighs, skin-side down, in a single layer. Cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total.
What kind of peppers are in Chicken Scarpariello?Over time, Chicken Scarpariello recipes have evolved to include a wonderful mix of pieces of chicken, Italian sausage, potatoes, onions and two kinds of peppers – bell peppers and zesty piquante peppers. PIN THIS RECIPE NOW! How do you make Chicken Scarpariello?
What do you serve with Chicken Scarpariello sauce?All of that – plus hot peppers, potatoes, vinegar and wine – goes into a roasting pan and into a hot oven until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through. (The potatoes are totally optional, by the way, but they are a nice, pillowy counterpoint to the prickly heat of the peppers.) Serve with a hunk of good bread to mop up the sauce.
How to make Chicken Scarpariello with angel hair pasta?It is especially nice served over angel hair pasta or white rice. Cut chicken breasts into 1 x 3 inch strips, and dredge in flour. In 10 inch skillet, heat oil and butter. Add chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides (3 to 4 minutes). Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet.