CHINESE WHITE RICE
This is the perfect recipe for making great rice with individual grains... perfect for making into fried rice the next day as well as enjoying with your choice of toppings today! My mom took a Chinese Cooking class back in the '70's and we've used it to make rice ever since.
Provided by allypal
Categories White Rice
Yield 4 cups
Number Of Ingredients 2
- (The 2 cups in an arbitrary measurement so that I can get the servings/yield number---this is really more of a method, so you can make as much rice as you need -- just use about half as much rice as you want for a finished product.).
- Pour desired amount of rice into a pot with a good fitting lid (rice must cover bottom of pan and should be an inch or more deep, so use the proper sized pot for amount of rice you are cooking).
- Cover rice several inches with water.
- Stir rice and water with your hand. Water will turn milky (this is the extra starch coming off the rice).
- Pour water off the rice using your hand or the lid to keep rice in the pot.
- Repeat rinsing and draining two more times. Water should be clear on last rinse.
- Cover rice with clean cold water to the depth of your first knuckle with the tip of your pointer finger touching the top of the rice (this will be a bit less than an inch).
- Put pot on stove and turn burner to high.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered, and continue boiling until tunnels form from the steam coming through the rice - most of the water will no longer be visible. (Looks like someone poked it several times with a drinking straw).
- Cover pot with lid and turn stove down to low.
- Keep covered and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Uncover and fluff up a few grains to test to see if it's done.
- If necessary, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
- When done, fluff rice with fork and serve.
- If you're making fried rice, it's best to use day old rice so put this in the fridge after it has cooled a bit and enjoy it tomorrow!
CHINESE TAKE-OUT WHITE RICE
Rice has been cultivated in China since around 5000 BC, and half the world depends on it for survival. Leftover rice is a plus so be sure to make enough so that you can make fried rice the next day. From the Take-Out Menu Cookbook.
Provided by TxGriffLover
Categories Long Grain Rice
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 2
- Pour the rice into a mesh strainer and run cold water through the rice while stirring it around with your hand. This washes the excess starch from the rice.
- When the water runs clear, combine the rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, then cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook the rice for 18 minutes, remove it from the heat, and let it rest with the cover on for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: to reheat rice, place it in a metal colander or mesh strainer set over 1 inch boiling water in a large pot. Cover the pot and steam the rice for 5 minutes.
- Do not refrigerate cooked rice unless you plan on using it for fried rice, rice pudding, etc. Refrigerated rice becomes hard and never regains it's fluffy texture after being chilled.
- Cooked rice can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
BEST BASIC WHITE RICE
- Place the rice in a large saucepan with the butter, olive oil, and salt, and chicken broth (or water). Bring to a boil, uncovered, and cook until you see holes forming that tunnel down into the rice forming on the surface, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover the saucepan. Cook for 20 minutes, then fluff and serve.
STEAMED ASIAN WHITE RICE
- Rinse rice in a fine-mesh sieve until water is almost clear. Drain well and transfer to a 3-quart heavy saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover tightly with lid, then reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Gently fold rice from top to bottom with a rubber spatula before serving.
PERFECT WHITE RICE
It is possible to make perfectly fluffy white rice on the stovetop. Sauteing the rice first helps keep the rice grains separate. Keeping the pot covered for the entire cooking time traps the steam which is necessary for properly cooking the rice, and is very important. The last 5 minutes off the heat allow the rice to finish in the residual steam, without burning the bottom.
Provided by zeebee
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and stir to coat. Cook until rice grains begin to turn opaque, 1 to 2 minutes; do not brown. Add water and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 185.7 calories, Carbohydrate 37 g, Cholesterol 5.1 mg, Fat 2.2 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 3.3 g, SaturatedFat 1.3 g, Sodium 296.8 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
WHITE RICE RECIPE BY TASTY
Getting fluffy, fully-cooked white rice without burning the bottom isn't hard, but there are a few steps to make the process a little easier. You'll always want to rinse white rice in a sieve until the water is clear to remove excess starch that can make the rice gummy and unevenly cooked. You should also let the rice steam for five minutes before you fluff with a fork, so that the rice doesn't dry out or get clumpy. Enjoy your now-perfect rice!
Provided by Betsy Carter
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Rinse the rice in a sieve three times, or until the water runs clear.
- Add the water and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the rice and stir, letting the water come to a boil again.
- Place the lid on the saucepan and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 18 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice steam for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 190 calories, Carbohydrate 40 grams, Fat 0 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 4 grams, Sugar 0 grams
PERFECT WHITE RICE
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice and salt and return to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, 16 to 18 minutes (check only toward the end of cooking time). The rice should be studded with craters, or steam holes, when it is ready.
- Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for 10 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and serve.
Yield Makes about 10 cups
Number Of Ingredients 2
- Put rice in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan and, using your fingers as a rake, rinse under cold running water. Drain rice in a colander.
- In pan bring water (4 cups for white rice and 5 cups for brown) to a boil with rice. Simmer rice, covered, over moderately low to low heat until steam holes appear on surface and water is absorbed, about 16 minutes for white rice and 35 to 40 minutes for brown. With a fork fluff rice and spread in a shallow baking pan. Cool rice completely. Chill rice, covered with plastic wrap, at least 12 hours. Rice may be made 2 days ahead and chilled in a sealable plastic bag.
More about "chinese white rice recipes"
7 CHINESE RICE RECIPES THAT WILL NOT DISAPPOINT
Author Rhonda Parkinson
- Basic Cooked Rice Recipe. Like hard boiling eggs, cooking rice is one of those tasks that appear to be easy, but can go wrong very quickly if you don’t follow the right steps.
- Basic Fried Rice. The main tip to making fried rice is to use cold, previously cooked rice, preferably at least one day old. (Use your fingers or a spatula to break up the cold clumps of rice).
- Chicken Fried Rice. This is a great recipe when you're looking for a way to use up leftover cooked chicken.
- Sizzling Rice (Crispy Rice) Given the importance of rice in Chinese culture, it's not surprising that even over-cooked rice is put to use! Sizzling rice (also called crispy rice or rice crusts) can be made ahead of time - store in a sealed container until needed.
- Congee. Congee (also called jook) is a type of rice porridge that is eaten for breakfast in southern China and throughout other parts of Asia. This is basic recipe for congee that you can garnish and add to as desired.
- Steamed Scented Rice (Jasmine and Basmati) While scented rice is a mainstay of Southeast Asian cuisine, many cooks, including Chinese chef Martin Yan, recommend using it in Chinese dishes for extra taste and aroma.
- Vegetable Rice. Stir-fried baby bok choy is combined with steaming rice and Chinese dried mushrooms in this yummy side dish. Sizzling Rice Soup. Chicken Fried Rice.
CHINESE PLAIN WHITE RICE RECIPE – EATING CHINA
EASY FRIED RICE (BETTER THAN TAKEOUT!) - JESSICA GAVIN
BASIC WHITE RICE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
HOW TO COOK WHITE RICE - EASILY AND PERFECTLY | RECIPETIN EATS
WHITE RICE RECIPES - SERIOUS EATS
HOW TO MAKE WHITE RICE LIKE A CHINESE RESTAURANT | LEAFTV
EASY CHINESE RICE (5 INGREDIENTS) - FUSS FREE FLAVOURS
WHITE RICE RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
CHINESE RESTAURANT RICE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHINESE WHITE RICE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
50 EASY WHITE RICE RECIPES | MYRECIPES
RECIPE FOR CHINESE WHITE RICE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
35 LEFTOVER RICE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
CHINESE RESTAURANT WHITE RICE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
10 BEST LEFTOVER WHITE RICE RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHINESE STYLE WHITE RICE - COOKEATSHARE
CHINESE WHITE RICE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CHINESE WHITE RICE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CHINESE WHITE SAUCE - EASY STIR FRY SAUCE - DRIVE ME HUNGRY
WHITE RICE RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
10 BEST CHEESY WHITE RICE RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHINESE RICE: HOW TO COOK WHITE STICKY RICE - YOUTUBE
CHINESE WHITE RICE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CHINESE STEAMED RICE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
BAKED CHINESE CHICKEN AND RICE - SPEND WITH PENNIES
WHITE RICE AMARANTH RECIPES - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
PERFECT LONG-GRAIN WHITE RICE RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
5 QUICK DINNERS THAT START WITH 2 CUPS OF LEFTOVER RICE ...
AUTHENTIC CHINESE EGG FRIED RICE RECIPE – EATING CHINA
ONE POT CHINESE CHICKEN AND RICE | RECIPETIN EATS
12 CHINESE RICE DISHES YOU CAN MAKE AT HOME
RECIPES WITH WHITE RICE | TASTE OF HOME
WHAT IS CHINESE RICE RECIPES - NEWS ALOSEO
ALL-PURPOSE CHINESE WHITE SAUCE - THE WOKS OF LIFE
TRADITIONAL WHITE SUGAR RICE CAKE (白糖糕 BAI TANG GAO) WITH ...
32 WHITE RICE DISHES YOU'LL LOVE | TASTE OF HOME
CHINESE STEAMED RICE CAKE (BAI TANG GAU) 白糖糕 - EATMUNCHLOVE
SIMPLE ASIAN RICE - BAREFEET IN THE KITCHEN
#lactose #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #healthy #5-ingredients-or-less #side-dishes #rice #asian #chinese #easy #low-fat #stove-top #dietary #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #inexpensive #egg-free #healthy-2 #free-of-something #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #white-rice #equipment #nut-free
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make Easy Chinese style rice?Easy Chinese style rice is a delicious accompaniment for Asian dishes, ready in half an hour with next to no hands on time. Put the sesame oil in a pan – I like to use a shallow casserole dish with a close fitting lid. Add the five spice and gently heat for a minute.
What is Chinese steamed rice?Chinese Steamed Rice is a really simple and easy recipe that’s the PERFECT side dish to any main course. You don’t need any special equipment, just a pot with a lid and some water set to simmer until the rice is cooked through. For this recipe you can add salt or bouillon to the water for extra flavor, or just make it plain to go with saucy dishes.
How to cook rice in a rice cooker?Drain and place rice into a flat, heavy bottomed pot with a tight fitting lid. Add water. Without lid, bring to a boil on a medium heat. Stir well. Place lid on pot, and simmer on a very low heat for about 18 minutes. Turn off heat and allow rice to rest for 15 minutes to complete water absorption process.
How to cook rice with five spices?Stir in the five spice powder and heat gently for one minute. Step Two – Add the rice. Stir and cook for a minute, so that the grains are coated with the oil. Step Three – Pour the stock over the rice. Add the soy sauce. Then put the lid on the pan securely. Cook on the lowest heat for 18 minutes.