CUBAN BLACK BEANS
This classic recipe is adapted from "Tastes Like Cuba," by Eduardo Machado and Michael Domitrovich. The secret is the homemade sofrito, but bottled will do in a pinch.
Recipe From cooking.nytimes.com
Provided by Pete Wells
Categories one pot
Yield Serves 8 to 10
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Cut 1 green pepper into 1-inch squares. Smash and peel 4 of the garlic cloves. Put the green pepper and garlic into a large pot with the beans, ham hock, bay leaves and 1 tablespoon salt. Add 2 quarts water and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer until the beans are tender, an hour or more.
- Meanwhile, make a sofrito. Cut the remaining ½ green pepper into ¼-inch dice. Peel and finely chop the remaining garlic. Heat the olive oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the green pepper and onion and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeño (leave out the seeds if you don't want it too spicy), oregano, cumin, black pepper and 2 teaspoons salt and stir for another minute. Pour in the vinegar and scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. This is your sofrito.
- When the beans are cooked, discard the bay leaf. Remove and set aside the ham hock and let it cool. Transfer 1 cup of beans to small bowl, mash them into a paste with the back of a fork and return to the pot. Add the sofrito, then the sugar. Pull the meat from the ham hock, leaving behind any white sinew or gristle. Chop the ham into ½-inch pieces and return it to the bean pot.
- Stir the beans well and bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or so, skimming any foam from the top. Taste for salt and serve with white rice.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS I
- In a large bowl, soak beans in water to cover overnight.
- Rinse beans, and transfer to a large stock pot. Add onion, bell peppers, bay leaves, paprika, cumin, oregano, and chile peppers, along with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Test beans for tenderness, and when tender add garlic and balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS
This is my Mother's favorite black bean recipe. I think she got it from an old Cuban cookbook. Her note is: "flavorful!" Cooking time doesn't include soaking time.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by Engrossed
Categories Black Beans
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Wash beans.
- In a large pot, soak the beans with the first chopped bell pepper in water until swollen. Overnight?.
- **It doesn't say so but I'd drain it at this point and add new water so the beans won't be so musical if you know what I mean.**.
- Cook until soft about 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Add onion, second bell pepper and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add 1 cup of cooked beans and mash them well. Add mixture to bean pot.
- Add dry seasonings to the pot.
- Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Add vinegar and wine.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- If broth is too watery, uncover and cook until it thickens.
- Just before serving stir in the olive oil.
CUBAN-STYLE BLACK BEANS
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook the garlic in the oil 15 seconds. Stir in the onion and green pepper; cook and stir 10 minutes. Pour in the black beans and beer; simmer until thick, about 15 minutes; garnish with cilantro.
CUBAN-STYLE BLACK BEANS
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and oregano and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of beans to pan. Using back of fork, mash beans coarsely. Add remaining beans, broth and vinegar and simmer until mixture thickens and flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Mix in sugar, if desired. Season beans to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
CUBAN STYLE BLACK BEANS WITH BACON
I started experimenting with black beans awhile ago. I tried a bunch of Cuban recipes and although most were very good, I wanted the dish to look as good as it tasted. This dish combines complimentary flavors to the beans while adding tons of color. I usually serve this dish alongside rice. If you have time you can cook your own beans in a pressure cooker, but canned beans work fine too. If jalapenos are too spicy for you, you can substitute Anaheim peppers instead.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by Ellixstraz
Categories Black Beans
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Heat large saute pan and add bacon drippings. Throw in all veggies with the exception of the garlic and the beans. Cook until softened and onion is translucent to brown. Add the beans, your seasoning, lemon, vinegar, sugar and bacon. Add the cilantro and your garlic last. They key to this dish is tasting it often to make sure the flavoring is as desired. Serve immediately.
CUBAN-STYLE BLACK BEANS
Recipe From foodnetwork.com
Provided by Food Network
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Soak the beans with the baking soda in 10 cups of water for about 3 hours. Rinse and drain.
- Add the beans to a Dutch oven and add 10 cups fresh water, along with the olive oil, cumin, oregano, sugar, vinegar, cilantro stems, bay leaves and onion. Simmer until the beans are soft, about 2 hours. Add 2 teaspoons of salt (or more to taste) and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
time-to-make course main-ingredient cuisine preparation north-american healthy side-dishes beans caribbean central-american low-fat cuban dietary low-sodium low-cholesterol low-saturated-fat low-calorie black-beans healthy-2 low-in-something 4-hours-or-less
People also searched
More recipes about "cuban style black beans"
CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE - NO SPOON NECESSARY
2019-04-29 · As well, some Cuban black bean recipes are soupy in consistency while others call for mashing some of the beans so the dish is thicker in consistency. How to thicken Cuban black beans? While there are a few ways you can thicken Cuban black beans, the absolute best way is to mash some of the beans to form a paste. Mashing the beans …
- Saute vegetables: Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, scallions, jalapeno and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add seasonings: Add in the garlic, cumin, oregano, coriander and smoked paprika. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beans + liquid: Add in the beans, water and bay leaves. Season again with salt and pepper. Bring beans to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover + simmer: Remove cover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes, or until most of the water has evaporated. TIP: If you would like your black beans to have a more “soup-y” appearance, adjust consistency with a bit more water. If you would like to thicken the black beans, you can use a potato masher or spoon to mash some (about 1/4 to 1/3rd) of the black beans.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
2017-10-13 · Preparation Step 1 Bring beans, bay leaf, ¼ cup chopped onion, ¼ cup chopped bell pepper, 1 Tbsp. grated garlic, 5 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1 Tbsp. Morton …
- Bring beans, bay leaf, ¼ cup chopped onion, ¼ cup chopped bell pepper, 1 Tbsp. grated garlic, 5 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1 Tbsp. Morton salt, ½ tsp. oregano, and 5 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally and adding more hot water if needed to cover, until beans are tender and covered by about ¼" liquid, 2½–3 hours. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-low. Add remaining onion, bell pepper, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and beginning to brown, 15–20 minutes. Stir into cooked beans. Top with cilantro, if using.
BLACK BEANS RECIPE. CUBAN STYLE
2018-07-28 · Cuban Style Black Beans Ingredients • 450 gram of black beans • 2400 ml of water • 4 spoons of oil • 1 onion • 6 cloves of garlic • 1medium pepper • 1bay leaf …
CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE (FRIJOLES NEGROS) - A SASSY SPOON
2020-12-10 · Add the remaining ingredients. In a saucepan, add the canned black beans (DO NOT DRAIN), water, olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, oregano, cumin, pepper, and a bay leaf. Stir to …
QUICK AND DELICIOSO CUBAN STYLE BLACK BEANS - SKINNYTASTE
2021-05-03 · Chop onion, garlic, scallions, red pepper, and cilantro in a mini chopper of food processor. Add oil to a medium-sized pot on medium heat. Add vegetables to the pot and saute until soft, about 3 …
- Add beans, water, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE - ALEX GARCIA | FOOD & WINE
2013-12-07 · Put the black beans, quartered green pepper and bay leaves in a large saucepan add 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the …
- Put the black beans, quartered green pepper and bay leaves in a large saucepan add 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Remove and discard the green pieces and bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the minced bell peppers and onion and cook over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the cumin and oregano. In a small saucepan, cook the garlic in the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil over moderately low heat until golden brown.
- When the beans are tender, add the sautéed pepper mixture, the garlic in its oil and the tomato paste. Season with salt and simmer gently for 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days. Reheat gently before serving.
CUBAN-STYLE BLACK BEANS RECIPE - ROMULO YANES | FOOD & WINE
2018-02-08 · Combine black beans, 1 onion half, 1 bell pepper half, 2 bay leaves, and 8 cups cold water in a pressure cooker. Lock lid into place and set pressure to HIGH (15 pounds); bring up to pressure …
- Combine black beans, 1 onion half, 1 bell pepper half, 2 bay leaves, and 8 cups cold water in a pressure cooker. Lock lid into place and set pressure to HIGH (15 pounds); bring up to pressure over high heat. When pressurized, reduce heat to medium and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat, release pressure, and let stand until pressure is completely released. Remove lid. Discard onion, bell pepper, and bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, finely chop remaining onion and bell pepper halves. Smash garlic on cutting board with flat side of a chef’s knife. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, then rub salt into garlic with the knife to form a paste.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium. Add chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, and garlic-salt paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in remaining 2 bay leaves, wine, cumin, oregano, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, until tomato paste is incorporated and wine has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place uncovered pressure cooker over medium heat. Stir in onion-bell pepper mixture; season with black pepper and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Simmer until beans are cooked through, about 30 minutes. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS - COCO AND ASH - EASY RECIPES
2016-03-26 · Add all of the skillet contents and 2 cups of water back into the large pot of black beans and stir. Cover and simmer for another 60 minutes. After those 60 minutes, add 3 cups of water and …
- Allow your beans to soak over night. (If you don't have time to soak overnight CLICK HERE to see my version of Quick Cuban Black Beans using canned beans!)
- The next day, your beans will have soaked up most of the water. When you are ready to cook them add 5 cups of water and half of your chopped green pepper to the pot.
EASY CUBAN-STYLE BLACK BEANS AND RICE - THE ARTISAN LIFE
2019-02-16 · This “weeknight” easy Cuban black bean recipe is what I’m sharing here today. In addition to using canned black beans, I also use bacon in this recipe instead of smoked ham hocks. The …
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the pieces of bacon. If you're not using bacon, simply add about one tablespoon of olive oil and skip ahead to the fourth step.
- Cook the bacon until a lot of the fat has rendered out and the pieces have almost halved in size, but are not crispy. There's no need to crisp the bacon because it just gets soggy again when you simmer it with the beans!
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove the bacon and set it to drain on paper towels. Leave the bacon fat in the saucepan.
- Add the onions to the hot bacon fat and stir to coat. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook for about 2 minutes, until they've reduced in size but aren't crisping or caramelized. They should be beginning to turn translucent and soft, but not quite there yet.
THE MOST DELICIOUS INSTANT POT CUBAN BLACK BEANS - ENJOY ...
2020-07-15 · To make Cuban black beans in the instant pot is so easy and quick and you don't need to soak the beans. STEP 1. Add the dry black beans, onion, garlic, bell pepper, oregano, bay leaf, and …
- Add the dry black beans, onion, garlic, bell pepper, oregano, bay leaf, and vegetable broth in the inner pot of your instant pot, stir.
- Place the lid on the pot, and lock it in place. Turn the steam release knob to the Sealing position (or DON'T press the release knob for the newest model). Press the manual/pressure cook button (or dial) and the + or - button (or dial) to choose 35 minutes. The pot will take a few minutes to build up the pressure before the timer starts.
- When the cooking cycle has finished, let the pot sit undisturbed for 20 minutes. Then do a Quick Release of the pressure by turning the knob towards the Venting position (or pressing the release knob). When the metal pin in the lid drops down, you can open the cover facing away from you.
- Remove the bay leaf. Season with salt and black pepper to taste; coconut sugar, vinegar and add the olive oil.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS AND RICE RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
2009-02-12 · Food; Recipes; Cuban Black Beans and Rice; Cuban Black Beans and Rice. Rating: 3.5 stars. 326 Ratings. 5 star values: 107 4 star values: 86 3 star values: 76 2 star values: 40 1 star values: 17 Read Reviews Add Review 326 Ratings 14 Reviews By Sara Quessenberry. Pin Print More. Facebook Tweet Email Send Text Message. Gallery. Cuban Black Beans and Rice . Credit: Kan Kanbayashi Recipe …
- Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
TRADITIONAL CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
2003-10-17 · Instructions Checklist. Step 1. Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Add water and half of bell pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours or just until beans …
- Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Add water and half of bell pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours or just until beans are tender.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add remaining bell pepper, onion, and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add onion mixture, sugar, and salt to beans; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Uncover and cook 15 minutes or to desired thickness.
- Stir in wine and 2 tablespoons oil. Remove and discard bay leaf; cook until heated. Serve over rice. Garnish, if desired.
QUICK CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE L PANNING THE GLOBE
2020-09-25 · Cuban Black Beans (Frijoles negros) are central to Cuban cuisine, served as a side dish with almost every meal and as a main course, scooped onto steaming rice with toppings like sliced avocado and lime wedges.. Black beans from scratch are great, but the fact is many of us don’t always have time for an overnight soak and hours of cooking. When you want your black beans fast this recipe …
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté, stirring often, until it starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and onion. Cook, stirring, for one minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes longer to soften the vegetables. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds to toast the cumin.
- Add 1 can of beans with their liquid to the pot. Use a potato masher or the back of a fork to gently mash the beans. Add the other two cans of beans with their liquid, vinegar, bay leaves, 1½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Adjust taste and texture to your liking by adding additional water or broth and salt and pepper.
- Serve as a side dish with lime wedges and chopped cilantro or as a main dish scooped over steaming brown or white rice and topped with garnishes of chopped cilantro, lime wedges, grated cheese and/or sour cream.
NIGELLA'S CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE | HOT COOKING FOOD BLOG
Nigella's versatile and delicious Cuban Black Beans. Method. Slow cooker: Fill a medium saucepan with boiling water and add 500g of dried black beans.Rapidly boil for 30 minutes then drain. Brown 2 chopped onions in a pan for around 5-10 minutes then add to a slow cooker along with 6 chopped cloves of garlic, 2 diced peppers, the boiled black beans, a chopped red chilli, 2 tablespoons of cumin ...
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CUBAN BLACK BEANS OF YOUR LIFE ...
2019-04-26 · Traditionally you make it by cooking down peppers, garlic, and onions. Different sofritos can also include tomatoes, oregano, and bay leaf, and bacon, chorizo, or ham. For Cuban black beans, chorizo is the meat of choice, but make sure that you're using Spanish chorizo, not Mexican chorizo, for the traditional flavor.
CUBAN STYLE BLACK BEANS | OUR FOOD BEFORE US
2021-01-05 · Place black beans and water in the pot of a 6-quart pressure cooker. Place the lid of the pressure cooker on the pot, locking it in place and adjusting the pressure valve according to manufactures instructions. Once pressurized, cook for 30 minutes. While the beans are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS - YOUTUBE
The Cuban staple dish black beans are delicious favorite over white rice. They can be turned into puree and it makes a great black bean soup. View my bean re...
See details ››
ARROZ Y FRIJOLES NEGROS (RICE AND BLACK BEANS) RECIPE ...
2021-08-02 · Cuban Recipes. Medium; Ingredients. 225 gr dried black beans. soaked the night before. 1 l Water. ½ green bell pepper. chopped. ½ medium onion. chopped. 4 garlic cloves. minced. 1 bay leaf. 2 tablespoons Olive Oil. ½ teaspoon cumin. 1 teaspoon oregano. ¾ teaspoon paprika. ½ teaspoon Salt. and more to taste. 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar. or red wine or apple. ½ tablespoon Sugar. rice. to ...
See details ››
CUBAN-STYLE BLACK BEANS RECIPE
2017-03-25 · Cuban-style black beans recipe. Learn how to cook great Cuban-style black beans . Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Cuban-style black beans recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. Get one of our Cuban-style black beans recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. Good appetite!
See details ››
BLACK BEANS/CUBAN STYLE MY MOM’S RECIPE - YOUTUBE
See details ››