INDRA'S (MUMMY) TRINIDAD CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE
In this curry chicken recipe, a whole chicken (other pieces can be used) is first cut up and washed with the juice of a lime or lemon. Then, it's marinated with a blend of fresh herbs and lots of garlic, which we refer to as green seasoning in Trinidad. The curry is then cooked until it is no longer raw and to develop the flavors before adding the chicken. Simmered until the flavors develop into a phenomenal-cohesive-combination, it can be eaten with paratha roti, sada roti, dhal and rice or stewed red beans and rice. We eat it for lunch or dinner in Trinidad and, depending on how hungry you are- having it for breakfast is not objectionable either! The curry powder, cumin and the abundance of fresh herbs in this dish make it not only delicious but super healthy!
Provided by CookingwithRia
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Make Green Seasoning: In a food processor or blender(or chop COARSELY by hand), mince scallion, cilantro/culantro, thyme, garlic and onion(not the reserved slices) and peppers. (You may choose not to add the onion to the blender but keep it sliced). Set aside 1 tablespoon of the Green Seasoning for the curry paste below.
- Prepare Chicken: Wash chicken with lemon juice, removing excess fat. Drain well. Season chicken with salt, pepper and the remainder of the Green Seasoning. Allow it to marinate for several hours or overnight(OPTIONAL).
- Make Curry Paste: In a small bowl, add 3-4 tablespoons curry powder, 4 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon of the reserved Green Seasoning. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil, add the reserved pieces of onions and pepper and cook until golden brown. Add curry mixture and cook until grainy and curry separates from the oil, stirring constantly and scraping bottom of pot to prevent it from sticking and burning, 3-5 minutes.
- Add seasoned chicken to pot. Stir to mix well. Add cumin, salt and pepper if you haven't already. If using potatoes, add now.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium heat until the meat has relinquished its juices and subsequently evaporates about 15-20 minutes, gently stirring every 5-7 minutes or so in a basting motion (pouring the pan juices over the chicken).
- When the liquid has evaporated, continue to stir fry for a few seconds(or up to 2 mins) allowing the flavors to develop and scraping the bottom of the pot with the spoon to prevent it from burning. Then add 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, cover pot and cook until sauce has thickened about 5-10 minutes.
- Taste test for salt and add more if required. Enjoy with roti or rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 270 kcal, Carbohydrate 10 g, Protein 18 g, Fat 18 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 534 mg, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 1 g, ServingSize 1 serving
CURRIED CHICKEN (TRINIDAD STYLE)
This is a great curried chicken recipe from Trinidad recipe that I got from a book called "The Naparima Girls' Highschool Cookbook". It's easy to prepare and very flavorful.
Provided by desperate housewife
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cut chicken into small pieces and season with garlic, green seasoning, salt and hot pepper.
- Marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Heat oil in an iron pot or skillet.
- Mix curry powder with 1/4 cup of water until smooth; add to hot oil and cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir to coat in curry; cook until all water dries out; stir well (about 10 mins).
- Add tomatoes and onion; cook for a minute; stir in 1/2 cup hot water.
- Lower heat to medium; cover and cook until meat is tender; add more water if more sauce is necessary.
- Adjust salt and hot pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 375.7, Fat 28.2, SaturatedFat 7.3, Cholesterol 106.9, Sodium 490.8, Carbohydrate 3.9, Fiber 1.5, Sugar 1.1, Protein 25.8
TRINIDAD STEWED CHICKEN
- Place chicken on a plate. Sprinkle the green onion, cilantro, garlic, onion, salt and pepper over it. Cover, and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, and cook until the sugar has melted into a nice golden brown syrup. Add the chicken pieces, and brown quickly while turning continuously. Cover the pot, and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of water, coconut milk and pepper flakes. Replace the lid, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the ketchup and butter. Continue cooking until chicken is fork tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve chicken with the sauce in the pot as a gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 310.5 calories, Carbohydrate 8.7 g, Cholesterol 65.3 mg, Fat 20.9 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 21.5 g, SaturatedFat 7.8 g, Sodium 404.4 mg, Sugar 7.6 g
- For the marinade: Place the garlic, shallots, onions, parsley, and vegetable oil in a food processor, and puree. Transfer the garlic mixture to a container, and set aside. For the chicken: Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and add half of the Amise marinade, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for a maximum of 24 hours. In a wide-based pan, heat the sugar and vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Swirl the glaze until the sugar caramelizes and browns, approximately 7 to 10 minutes. As soon as the sugar caramelizes, add the chicken pieces, in one layer skin-side down and brown the chicken on all sides, about approximately 5 minutes. Add the onion, chile, plantain, tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce to the pan, and stir. Pour in the chicken stock, and bring the ingredients to a boil. Add in the reserved marinade and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, and season the dish with salt, to taste. Turn off the heat. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and garnish with the cilantro leaves just before serving.
CARIBBEAN CURRIED CHICKEN
Having grown up in the Virgin Islands, I've eaten my fair share of authentic curried chicken. This recipe hits the mark with big, bold flavors. It's delicious served over rice. -Sharon Gibson, Hendersonville, North Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Combine curry powder, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle over chicken, pressing to help mixture adhere. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with onion. Carefully pour mojo criollo marinade along the sides of slow cooker, avoiding chicken to keep coating intact. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads 170°, 4-6 hours. Remove chicken; keep warm., Pour cooking juices from slow cooker into a measuring cup; skim fat. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat; add chicken and simmer about 5 minutes. If desired, serve with rice, green onions and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 249 calories, Fat 13g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 76mg cholesterol, Sodium 514mg sodium, Carbohydrate 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
DAD'S CURRIED CHICKEN
This Trinidadian version of curried chicken is an earthy, rich stew of whole chicken pieces in an aromatic, vibrant broth, spiked with hot chile and a traditional herb paste.
Provided by Ramin Ganeshram
Yield 6-8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and toss with the lime juice. Drain, rinse the chicken with cold water, and drain again. Remove the chicken from the bowl and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken in another bowl with the Green Seasoning, salt, chili pepper, and garlic. Toss well to coat and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes but ideally overnight.
- Combine the curry powder with just enough water to form a thick paste. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add the curry paste and onion. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes over medium-low heat-do not allow the curry to scorch. Add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat. Add the stock or water, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the lid and simmer for 5 minutes more over medium-high heat, until the sauce reduces by one-third. Serve with roti or white rice.
CURRIED CHICKEN WITH CHICKPEAS (TRINIDAD)
- Place 2 tablespoons of the butter, plus the garlic, ginger and onion in a deep skillet. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the curry powder, cumin and thyme and saute for another minute.
- Add the potatoes, water, red hot sauce and salt and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft but not mushy.
- Add the chickpeas and cook another 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, saute 2 tablespoons of the remaining butter and the chicken over medium heat for 5 to 7 minute, or until the chicken is white in the center.
- Add the vegetable curry mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Serve hot over rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 513.3, Fat 15.8, SaturatedFat 8.1, Cholesterol 129.2, Sodium 681.4, Carbohydrate 45.2, Fiber 8.8, Sugar 3.6, Protein 47.3
More about "curried chicken trinidad style recipes"
TRINIDAD-STYLE CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE - GREAT WITH ROTI OR RICE
4.9/5 (41)Total Time 1 hr 20 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 172 per serving
- Using a cleaver, or any good solid knife, chop the top part off the drumstick. Check to see if there are any little chipped pieces of bone hanging around. Remove them, if there are, and wash them one more time.
- Pulse the onion, garlic, ginger, 1/2 cup cilantro and hot pepper in the food processor until finely chopped. Remove the seeds of the pepper if you do not like it really hot.
10 BEST TRINIDAD CHICKEN RECIPES | YUMMLY
SIMPLE, SPICY CURRY CHICKEN - SIMPLY TRINI COOKING
3 TRINIDAD CURRY CHICKEN RECIPES | JUNE 2022 | RECIPE SELF
CURRY CHICKEN TRINI STYLE RECIPE - SPARKRECIPES
CARIBBEAN RECIPE OF THE WEEK – CHICKEN ROTI TRINIDAD …
DELICIOUS CURRY CHICKEN: TRINIDAD RECIPE – WE TRINI FOOD
5/5 (1)Total Time 5 hrs 15 minsCategory Side DishCalories 722 per serving
TRINIDAD CHICKEN ROTI - IMMACULATE BITES
TRINIDAD BAKED CHICKEN RECIPE - WE TRINI FOOD
CURRIED CHICKEN (TRINIDAD STYLE) RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE
DELICIOUS AUTHENTIC TRINIDADIAN CURRY CHICKEN ROTI
CURRY: THE TASTE OF TRINIDAD & TOBAGO - JIRIE CARIBBEAN
TRINIDADIAN CHICKEN CURRY - ONCE UPON A PAN
ULTIMATE CURRY CHICKEN? - CARIBBEANPOT.COM
EASY CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE- TRINIDADIAN STYLE - CALLALOO MAMI
EASY TRINIDADIAN CURRIED CHICKEN - MY BODY MY KITCHEN
TRINIDAD CURRY CHICKEN (WEST INDIES CURRY CHICKEN) - TIPBUZZ
CURRY CHICKEN - SIMPLY TRINI COOKING
TRINIDADIAN CURRY CHICKEN - COOKS WITH COCKTAILS
CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE TRINIDAD STYLE RECIPES
TRINIDADIAN STYLE CURRY CHICKEN - SCRAMBLED AND SCRUMPTIOUS
TRINIDAD CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE WITH DUMPLINGS – MY FIRST ATTEMPT
CURRIED CHICKEN (TRINIDAD STYLE) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
TRINIDADIAN CURRY CHICKEN - GYPSYPLATE
HOW TO MAKE CURRY CHICKEN WITH CURRY POWDER
TRINIDAD CURRY STEW CHICKEN RECIPE: 5 HEALTH BENEFITS
TRINIDAD CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
DELICIOUS CURRY CHICKEN - TRINIDAD STYLE - THISBAGOGIRL
TOM’S TRINIDADIAN CHICKEN CURRY - THE PIONEER WOMAN
TRINIDAD CURRY CHICKEN | CARIBBEAN CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE
TRINIDAD CURRIED CHICKEN RECIPE | CURRY CHICKEN RECIPES, BEEF STEAK ...
HOW TO MAKE TRINIDAD CURRY CHICKEN | CLASSIC BAKES
HOW TO MAKE TRINI CURRY CHICKEN | FOODIE NATION - YOUTUBE
MY TRINIDAD CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE - NICKI'S RANDOM MUSINGS
INDIAN CHICKEN CURRY PIZZA RECIPE - EASYCOOKINGWITHMOLLY.COM
TRINIDAD CHICKEN ROTI (CARIBBEAN CURRY) - PIQUANT POST
CHICKEN ROTI | ROTI RECIPE
AUTHENTIC CURRIED GOAT RECIPE | TRINIDAD - COOKING WITH RIA
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is Trinidad style curry chicken?We call this recipe Trinidad 'Style' Curry Chicken because it is an adaptation of several Trinidad Curry recipes that we have tried. The basics are the same, chicken, curry powder, hot chiles and onions. The tomatoes may or may not be an 'authentic' ingredient but we really like the flavor and texture that they add to this dish.
How do you make chicken curry?Heat oil and add the garlic. Mix ½ tablespoon of curry powder with 1 tablespoon of green seasoning*, 3 tablespoons of water. Add to hot oil and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Allow to curry to reduce to a thick paste. Stir constantly to avoid burning. Add the seasoned chicken to the pot. Stir to coat with the curry. Add water.
How do you make Trinidad curry paste?This curry paste for this Trinidad curry chicken recipe is packed with fresh ingredients and has some serious heat with the pepper. Pulse the onion, garlic, ginger, 1/2 cup cilantro and hot pepper in the food processor until finely chopped. Remove the seeds of the pepper if you do not like it really hot.
What can I substitute for chicken in Trinidad Curry?Chicken: Traditional Trinidad curry chicken is made with drumsticks, but you can substitute thighs or legs. Chicken breasts are not recommended, as they easily dry out. Potatoes: For a more substantial meal, add 2 cups of boiling potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks to cook along with the chicken.