A great lentil recipe, to accompany curries, a wonderful blend of spices that is a great addition as a side dish to any Indian Curry. Made by memory after having watched the cook make this many times when I was a child. Serves 4-6
Recipe From food.com
Provided by JoyfulCook
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Wash lentils and pick out all the brown bits (as otherwise this will color the dahl a brown color).
- Wash; place in a medium saucepan and cover with water 3-4 inches above lentils. Simmer for 45 minutes (lentils should be very soft when cooked), skimming the foam off the top of the water occasionally. Top up with extra water, if necessary.
- Strain lentils, retaining the liquid. Blend lentils with some of the liquid in blender until smooth. Add more water if necessary--blend should be like a thick paste. Put to one side.
- Place oil in medium saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and cook stirring until the seeds start to pop. Immediately add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring until onions are soft. Add all the spices; stir and cook for another minute or two. Add the pureed lentils and stir well until fully mixed.
- This freezes extremely well. Serve with curry and rice as an accompaniment.
SPICY INDIAN DAHL
- Cook the lentils by boiling or pressure cooking until lentils are soft. (Pressure cooking is faster.)
- In a skillet heat the oil and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds begin to flutter, add onions, ginger, jalapeno peppers, and garlic. Saute until the onions and garlic are golden brown. Add coriander and cumin. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute the mixture well until tomatoes are well cooked.
- Add water. Boil 6 minutes. Add cooked lentils, stirring well. Add salt to taste, stirring well. Add finely chopped cilantro and remove from heat. Serve hot.
Here is my recipe for dhal based on my many experiences cooking with my friends over the years. We love this served over freshly made basmati rice. Don't skimp on the caramelized onions and garlic - it totally makes this recipe amazing!
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Tabitha C
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Wash the lentils in a strainer. Combine the lentils and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half of the sliced onions and garlic, reserving the rest for later. Stir in the turmeric, bay leaf, tomatoes, and salt. Add the chiles, leaving them whole to add flavor or cut in half to add heat. When the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the lentils break apart and thicken slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat until the oil shimmers. Add the reserved sliced onions; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking and stirring until the onion is very tender and dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes more. Stir in the rest of the chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the skillet into the cooked lentils and stir. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Make some dhal-ightful lentil curries for a filling veggie supper... These Indian-inspired recipes include variations on black dhal and a red lentil dish.
Recipe From bbcgoodfood.com
Number Of Ingredients 1
time-to-make course main-ingredient cuisine preparation occasion healthy lunch side-dishes vegetables asian diabetic dinner-party low-fat vegetarian dietary low-sodium low-cholesterol low-saturated-fat high-fiber inexpensive healthy-2 high-in-something low-in-something brunch 4-hours-or-less
People also searched
More recipes about "dhal"
DHAL RECIPE (VERSION TWO) - ALICA'S PEPPERPOT
2021-05-11 · Dhal Recipe (Version two) Prep Time: 5 minutes. Cook Time: 1 hour. Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes. Print Ingredients. 3 tbsp canola oil 1-2 wiri wiri peppers 3 …
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat 3 tbsp oil. Add onion, garlic, and pepper. Saute until fragrant. Add split peas and spices. Saute 6-7 minutes until spices have dried onto peas.
- Pour boiling water over peas, add tomatoes and salt. Let dhal boil 30-40 minutes. Once peas are cooked through, use a dhal ghutney or swizzle stick to smooth mixture out. An immersion blender may be used in place. Remove from heat once desired thickness is reached.
- Prepare to chunkay dhal by heating oil in a small saucepan. Add whole cumin seeds and fry until light brown. Add sliced garlic. Fry until garlic is dark brown. Remove from heat and immediately add to dhal. Make sure to cover the pot of dhal while adding the garlic/cumin layer or it will splatter.
A GUYANESE STAPLE: DHAL - ALICA'S PEPPERPOT
2021-05-11 · Instructions. Bring 8 cups of water to a rapid boil. Rinse split peas and add to the water. Chop onion, garlic, tomato, and wiri wiri peppers (or scotch bonnet) and …
- Add spices and salt (I usually like a bit more salt in my food so start with 1 tsp and add more if needed).
- Boil peas for 45 minutes until peas are soft to the touch. Blend with immersion blender or use (dhal ghutney) swizzle stick to achieve a smooth texture. Return to a slow boil for another 15-20 minutes until dhal gets slightly thick. Turn heat off when you have reached your desired texture.
DHAL RECIPE – HOW TO COOK IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS (WITH VIDEO)
2018-11-24 · In summary, dhal curry is prepared with slow-boiled lentils, combined with tempered spices (mainly cumin) coupled with onions, tomatoes, and garlic. Other common ingredients in other recipes include eggplants and tomatoes. How to make dhal Here is the step-by-step explanation in detail how to cook dhal …
DAL (INDIAN LENTIL CURRY) | RECIPETIN EATS
2018-07-06 · Lower heat to medium, add garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute until garlic starts to turn golden and smells amazing. Add tomatoes and cumin, …
- Heat ghee/oil in a heavy based saucepan over high heat. Add green chillies and fry for a minute until starting to blister.
- Lower heat to medium, add garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute until garlic starts to turn golden and smells amazing.
A GUIDE TO LENTILS & BASIC TARKA DHAL RECIPE | FEATURES ...
Melt a second knob of butter in the same frying pan and gently fry the chopped garlic, onion, chillies and the grated ginger and tomatoes, if you’re using them. Once the …
DHAL | RICARDO
2013-01-21 · In a saucepan, brown the onion in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic, ginger, and spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the …
SPICY INDIAN LENTIL DAHL RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Gather the ingredients. In a 3-quart stockpot or other medium-sized soup pot, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. …
HOW TO MAKE DHAL | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
2014-04-04 · 2 Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the spices and curry leaves and fry over a medium heat until the mustard seeds start to pop. 3 Quickly add the onion, chillies and …
LENTIL RECIPES | 85 DAL RECIPES | EASY DAHL RECIPES
2020-05-27 · Dal recipes - Love lentils & legumes? Try out these super delicious, comforting and healthy protein-packed Indian dal dishes you can make any time of the year. Dal is an Indian word for lentils. We use various kinds of lentils / legumes in our …
See details ››
EASY DAHL RECIPES - OLIVEMAGAZINE
2021-06-17 · Check out our best dahl recipes including red lentil dahl, coconut dahl and easy vegan lentil dahl. Then try our low-fat vegetarian recipes. Advertisement. Easy dahl recipes Coconut dahl recipe with crispy paneer. A surprisingly low calorie dinner, with cubes of golden paneer on top of gently spiced dahl. Best eaten with lots of chapatis. Chickpea dahl …
See details ››
RED LENTIL DHAL RECIPE - EASY, LOW COST SUPPER - PENNY'S ...
2020-08-11 · Dhal Easy Red Lentil Dhal Recipe. As someone who loves lentils, dhal is a favourite dish. At its most basic it is just spicy lentils that can be served with rice or nan bread, or even potatoes and maybe a side salad but it can be added to and adapted in many ways. It is a star dish for being very low cost, very easy and adaptable. My Own Dhal Recipe…
RED LENTIL DAHL (EASY INDIAN RECIPE) - BIANCA ZAPATKA ...
2020-10-07 · First, in a skillet or saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Toss the chopped onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent. After that, add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute until …
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet or saucepan. Add the chopped onions, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Then add the garlic and ginger sauté for another minute until fragrant. Lastly, add the spices, and sauté for a few seconds to unfold flavors.
- Place the lentils in a fine-mashed sieve and rinse until cold running water. Then add them to the onion mixture in the skillet. Pour in the vegetable broth, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cook covered for 8-10 minutes, or until the lentils have absorbed most of the liquid.
- Add the coconut milk and strained tomatoes (if using) and simmer another 5-10 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. (If the sauce is too thick, add a little more broth or coconut milk, until the desired consistency is reached). Season with salt, pepper, coconut sugar, and lime juice to taste.
TRINIDADIAN STYLE DHAL RECIPE (VEGAN) - THAT GIRL COOKS ...
2016-11-01 · Rinse the split peas several times before pouring them into a saucepan. Add the water, turmeric, scotch bonnet, black pepper, garlic, onions and pink salt to the pot. Bring the pot to the boil, …
TOP 10 BEST EVER DHAL RECIPES - BBC GOOD FOOD
- Spinach, sweet potato & lentil dhal. This really is the daddy of all dhal – packed with iron and low in fat, our spinach, sweet potato and lentil dhal serves up three of your five-a-day in one delicious dish.
- Aubergine dhal with tomato & onion raita. Say hello to goodness in a bowl – our gluten-free aubergine dhal packs in all of your five-a-day. Super comforting and spiced with turmeric and ginger, this dish still packs a punch.
- Creamy black dhal with crispy onions. This creamy black dhal is a slow cooker sensation – it may take a little bit of forward thinking, but it’s worth it.
- Khatti dhal. Our scrumptious khatti dhal can be adapted to just the consistency you like. Seasoned with tamarind paste and hot chilli powder, this dish has a wonderful sweet and sour flavour.
- Chickpea & coconut dhal. This subtle chickpea and coconut dhal uses a traditional Indian method of seasoning called ‘tarka’, bringing a real taste of India to your home.
- Next level dhal makhani. This super duper next level dhal makhani is truly deserving of its name. A rich and buttery dish, it’s designed to bring comfort and happiness to those who make it.
- Red lentil & squash dhal. Perfect as a starter and a main, our hearty red lentil and squash dhal uses butternut squash for a healthier twist on an Indian classic.
- Sweet & sour lentil dhal with grilled aubergine. Tamarind is the secret ingredient in our sweet & sour lentil dhal, bringing an irresistible tangy flavour.
- Tarka dhal. The aroma of a classic tarka dhal stewing away on the stove is enough to make anyone’s stomach rumble. This healthy dinner takes just five minutes of prep, then time to reduce and reach the desired consistency.
- Spinach dhal with harissa yogurt. Rustle up a wholesome bowl of spinach dhal with a dollop of creamy yogurt and aromatic harissa. This simple, healthy dinner uses our basic lentil base and just four ingredients to create a filling dinner for two.
HOW TO MAKE AN AUTHENTIC SOUTH INDIAN DHAL, MY ULTIMATE ...
2018-07-19 · There are so many recipes for dhal, and I don’t really think there is any right or wrong way to make dhal. But this recipe for South Indian dhal is the way I make it. I use the tempering …
- Put the washed lentils into a medium-sized saucepan. Add the water. Into this drop in the peeled clove of garlic, the deseeded chilli, a pinch of fenugreek seeds and the turmeric.
- Let the lentil simmer for around thirty minutes. Occasionally skim of the foam that will develop. Give the lentil the occasional stir.
- The water will start to reduce, but what you are looking for is for the lentils to become mushy and creamy.
DHAL: HOW TO MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS DHAL
2008-03-19 · Soak the split peas overnight. Chop the onion, pimento, and chadon beni. Pour the peas, onion, pimento, 2 cloves garlic, chadon beni and saffron powder in a pressure cooker with the water …
- Pour the peas, onion, pimento, 2 cloves garlic, chadon beni and saffron powder in a pressure cooker with the water for about 15 minutes.
- Chongkay the dhal by frying the other two cloves of garlic in a kalchul and when brown add to the dhal. (Caution: this process makes a loud frying sound when the hot oil and garlic is added. To prevent burns, when the oil is added, cover the pot with the pot cover at once. ).
DAL RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
2016-11-19 · In a large pot, heat the ghee and stir-fry the onions just until wilted, do not brown. Add the garlic, jalapeno, cumin, lentils, ginger, curry powder, salt, pepper, sugar and bay leaf. Saute for 1...
- In a large pot, heat the ghee and stir-fry the onions just until wilted, do not brown. Add the garlic, jalapeno, cumin, lentils, ginger, curry powder, salt, pepper, sugar and bay leaf. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes, until the herbs and spices bloom (aromatic). Add the tomatoes and deglaze with the vinegar. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning with cumin, salt, pepper and sugar.
- In a large saute pan, combine the black peppercorns, cloves, cardamom seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, and dried red chiles. Over medium heat, cook just until slightly toasted, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and stir in the grated nutmeg.
- Transfer to a food processor and grind to a fine powder. Pass through a fine strainer. Allow to cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight jar. Use as needed.
INDIAN RED LENTIL DAL - THE WANDERLUST KITCHEN
2019-01-18 · There are many ways to spell dal and so I’m fine if you use any of these varieties: red lentil dal recipe, red lentil dhal recipe, red lentil daal recipe, or red lentil dahl recipe. Dal (however you want to spell it) is one of my very favorite Indian dishes because of how quickly it is made. A red lentil dal cooks really fast, so this whole red lentil recipe …
- Place the rinsed lentils in a large saucepan along with 3 cups of room temperature water. Turn the heat to medium and allow the lentils to cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cinnamon stick; cook for 60 to 90 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the onion, green chili pepper, garlic, and ginger; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are turning translucent.
- Add the turmeric, cardamom, paprika, salt, and tomato to the pan. Cook until the tomato begins to fall apart, about 2 to 3 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
DHAL CURRY | ROTI N RICE
2010-09-20 · Dhal Curry is delicious served with Roti Canai (roti pratha), as mentioned previously. It is equally delicious served with plain white rice. Dhal Curry is a great side dish for a vegetarian meal. More Dhal (Lentil) Recipes. Here are two more dhal (lentil) recipes that may interest you. Simply click on the image to get to the recipe.
- Place dhal in a medium sized pot with ginger, garlic, dried chilies, curry leaves, ground turmeric, and 2 cups (480ml) water. Bring to a boil.
EASY RED LENTIL DHAL RECIPE - PINCH OF YUM
2012-11-30 · This lentil dhal recipe happened accidentally while I was trying to make the squash lentil curry, so it was like two for the price of one! I’ve always been a sucker for time savers and extra food. …
- Add lentils and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent burning on the bottom. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until completely incorporated. Season with additional salt and herbs for garnish.
HOW TO MAKE DHAL | DHAL RECIPE | TESCO REAL FOOD
2019-02-02 · Put a small frying pan over a medium heat and add 2 tsp cumin seeds. Shake in the pan for 1-2 mins until fragrant and just lightly toasted. Set aside to cool slightly. Measure out 1 tsp crushed chillies and 2 tsp turmeric and mix with the cumin seeds.
BASIC DAHL | LENTIL RECIPES | SBS FOOD
Heat the oil in a slow cooker over high heat. Add the lentils, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, red chilli, onion, garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring, until the onion softens. Add the coriander, stock and chopped vegetables, and cook over low heat for at least 1 hour (the longer the better). Stir in the parsley just before serving.
HOW TO MAKE DHAL (VERY DELICIOUS AND EASY TO COOK) - YOUTUBE
Find the full recipe for this and many more Indian restaurant style dishes in my paperback books INDIAN RESTAURANT CURRY AT HOME Volumes 1 and 2, available f...
See details ››
DHAL - HOW TO COOK DHAL IN 3 SIMPLE STEPS - YOUTUBE
How to cook dhal in 3 simple stepsDhal is one universal Indian dish that like by everyone in Malaysia. It is the comfort food that transcends cultures, races...
See details ››