Dutch Oven Beef Stew
DUTCH OVEN BEEF STEW
stick-to-your-ribs beef stew. the only time i've achieved fork-tender (not chewy) beef in my stew with soft (not crunchy!) potatoes. dutch oven not totally necessary (doesn't go into oven) but the cast iron seems to do something special, even when it's enamel-coated. adapted from beef stew v recipe on allrecipes.
Time: 180 minutes
- cheap red wine works just fine
- baby carrots work , too - just guesstimate how many would add up to 6 big ones
- the trick with peeling pearl onions: cut off the stem ends , throw in boiling water for 1
- 5 minutes , drain and rinse with cold water
- you should be able to squeeze the onion and pop them right out of the peel
- real instructions start now:
- throw the flour , salt and pepper into a bowl or bag with the beef cubes and coat completely
- in the dutch oven combine the butter and oil , and saute the beef and onions over medium-high heat until beef is browned on outside
- stir in the tomatoes , water and bouillon cubes
- add parsley and thyme
- stir in the red wine
- cover soup and simmer for 1 hour , stirring occasionally
- add bay leaves , carrots and potatoes
- continue to simmer until potatoes are tender , about 1 1 / 2 hours
Number Of Ingredients: 16
- beef stew meat
- ground black pepper
- all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- white pearl onions
- diced tomatoes
- beef bouillon cubes
- dried parsley
- dried thyme
- red wine
- baking potatoes
- bay leaves
DUTCH OVEN BEEF STEW
Stick-to-your-ribs beef stew. The only time I've achieved fork-tender (not chewy) beef in my stew with soft (not crunchy!) potatoes. Dutch oven not totally necessary (doesn't go into oven) but the cast iron seems to do something special, even when it's enamel-coated. Adapted from Beef Stew V recipe on allrecipes.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by AnneWisconsin
Yield 12 serving(s)
- Some notes about the ingredients: I like the tomatoes with seasoning, choose your favorite. Cheap red wine works just fine. Baby carrots work, too - just guesstimate how many would add up to 6 big ones.
- The trick with peeling pearl onions: cut off the stem ends, throw in boiling water for 1.5 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water (or even dunk in ice water). You should be able to squeeze the onion and pop them right out of the peel.
- Real instructions start now:.
- Throw the flour, salt and pepper into a bowl or bag with the beef cubes and coat completely.
- In the dutch oven (or heavy pot) combine the butter and oil, and saute the beef and onions over medium-high heat until beef is browned on outside.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water and bouillon cubes. Add parsley and thyme. Stir in the red wine.
- Cover soup and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add bay leaves, carrots and potatoes. Continue to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Number Of Ingredients: 16
- 3 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups white pearl onions, see below for peeling instructions
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, any flavor
- 3 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup red wine, any kind
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 3 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
CLASSIC, HEARTY BEEF STEW
This classic beef stew recipe makes sure you really make the most of each step of the cooking process to end up with a beautiful, rich, and hearty beef stew!
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Matthew Francis
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place beef cubes into a large bowl. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Add flour and paprika and toss until evenly coated.
- Heat oil in an oven-safe Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the beef cubes in batches until dark brown, about 4 minutes per side. Flip or stir gently with a wooden spoon until all edges are dark brown, 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add onions to the beef fat with more salt and pepper; cook and stir until they begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and stir until aromatic and soft, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste and cook until it turns brown and begins to caramelize and stick to the bottom of the pan. Deglaze with red wine, scraping up the flavorful browned bits on the bottom. Let the wine reduce until almost dry again, about 3 minutes.
- Add dried thyme, dried rosemary, herbes de Provence, and bay leaves. Add 2 cups beef broth and Worcestershire, stir, and bring to a boil. Add the seared beef cubes back into the stew liquid. Remove from heat and cover the pot.
- Braise in the preheated oven until meat is almost tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven. Add carrots, potatoes, and more beef broth if needed. Cover and return to the oven to braise until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in peas, fresh rosemary, and fresh thyme. Serve hot.
Number Of Ingredients: 20
- 1 (2 pound) boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or to taste
You'll also love
More recipes about dutch oven beef stew recipes
Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe | Allrecipes
Recipe From : allrecipes.com2020-03-17 · Heat oil in a cast iron Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and sear until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Stir in broth, potatoes, … ...
Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comDirections In a large bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour, salt if desired and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown beef in … ...
- Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat. , In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown beef in oil in batches.
Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe - BettyCrocker.com
Recipe From : bettycrocker.com2013-02-21 · Heat oven to 325°F. 2 In ovenproof 4-quart Dutch oven, mix all ingredients except potatoes and mushrooms. Cover and bake 2 hours, stirring once. ...
Hearty Dutch Oven Beef Stew - Cooking For My Soul
Recipe From : cookingformysoul.com2019-11-03 · Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Season beef chunks with 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Heat some olive oil over high heat in a large Dutch oven or a heavy oven-proof pot, and sear beef on all sides until nicely browned. Do this in batches to not overcrowd the pan and to prevent steaming. ...
Grandma's Old Fashioned Dutch Oven Beef Stew - Adventures ...
Recipe From : adventuresofanurse.com2019-01-25 · Place your cast iron dutch oven on the stove on medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, and celery. Let saute until onions are translucent Place stew meat in a plastic bag with flour coating each piece of meat … ...
Old Fashioned Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe | Rocky Hedge Farm
Recipe From : rockyhedgefarm.com2020-10-08 · Instructions. Heat fat in a dutch oven, or large cast iron skillet. I use a large cast iron skillet since I double or triple this recipe. It is best that the meat be browned in a single layer. Add garlic and meat. Brown meat on all sides in hot fat. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf and 2 cups of beef broth. Cover. ...
Dutch Oven Classic Beef Stew Recipe | Food & Wine
Recipe From : foodandwine.com2019-09-26 · Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Sprinkle beef with pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Add half of beef to Dutch oven, and cook until well browned on 2 sides, 3 to 4 minutes … ...
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Sprinkle beef with pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Add half of beef to Dutch oven, and cook until well browned on 2 sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer browned beef to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef. Set beef aside.
- dd mushrooms to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add red onion and carrots to Dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add red wine; cook until liquid has almost evaporated, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring and scraping to loosen browned bits from bottom of Dutch oven.
- Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup of the stock in a small bowl; whisk into mixture in Dutch oven until incorporated. Stir in beef, herb bundle, bay leaves, remaining 2 cups stock, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until beef is tender when pierced with a fork, about 50 minutes. Add potatoes; cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms, pearl onions, mustard, and red wine vinegar into beef mixture. Cook, uncovered, until pearl onions are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard herb bundle and bay leaves. Ladle stew into bowls, and sprinkle with chives.
Campfire Stew Dutch Oven Camping Recipe (it is easy ...
Recipe From : campingforfoodies.com2019-08-22 · Season beef with salt and pepper and add to Dutch oven, stir until beef is seared. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and onions, cook till softened. Add tomato paste, beef broth, rosemary, parsley, thyme, potatoes, carrots and celery, stirring to combine. Bring to simmer over medium heat. ...
Dutch Oven Homemade Beef Stew Meat Origin Recipes - Best ...
Recipe From : thisisaaronslife.com2020-11-18 · Instruction Beef Stew Meat Origin. In the first step, but the salt and pepper in a bowl containing the beef stew. In a 5-liter iron dutch oven heat the oil, and fry the beef until browned on all sides. Then drain. Put the lemon juice in the dutch oven, remove the stains on the pan and scrape the brown pieces from the bottom. ... Show details
Beef Stew with Carrots & Potatoes - Once Upon a Chef
Recipe From : onceuponachef.comPat the beef dry and season with the salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat until hot and … ...
- Pat the beef dry and season with the salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Brown the meat in 3 batches, turning with tongs, for about 5 minutes per batch; add one tablespoon more oil for each batch. (To sear the meat properly, do not crowd the pan and let the meat develop a nice brown crust before turning with tongs.) Transfer the meat to a large plate and set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic and balsamic vinegar; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon and scraping the brown bits from bottom of the pan, for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute more. Add the beef with its juices back to the pan and sprinkle with the flour. Stir with wooden spoon until the flour is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the wine, beef broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, and sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits from the bottom of the pan and bring to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid, transfer to the preheated oven, and braise for 2 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add the carrots and potatoes. Cover and place back in oven for about an hour more, or until the vegetables are cooked, the broth is thickened, and the meat is tender. Fish out the bay leaf and discard, then taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve the stew warm -- or let it come to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator overnight or until ready to serve. This stew improves in flavor if made at least 1 day ahead. Reheat, covered, over medium heat or in a 350°F oven. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Easy Dutch Oven Beef Stew | Mom's Dinner
Recipe From : momsdinner.net2018-11-27 · How to Make Dutch Oven Beef Stew This is a super easy Beef Stew recipe. Just make sure you have 5 hours to let it stew in the oven. Chop your carrots, onions, celery, and peeled potatoes into similar sized 1 ½-2 inch chunks. ...
The Best Beef Stew | Damn Delicious
Recipe From : damndelicious.net2020-02-29 · Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season steak with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Working in batches, add steak to the stockpot and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 6-8 minutes; set aside. Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook, stirring ... ... Show details
Dutch Oven Beef Stew - The Seasoned Mom
Recipe From : theseasonedmom.com2021-01-04 · In a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, sauté bacon in butter over medium heat until crisp and browned (about 3-5 minutes). Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pat beef dry … ...
- In a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, sauté bacon in butter over medium heat until crisp and browned (about 3-5 minutes). Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Place the flour in a bowl or large Ziploc bag and season with about ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Add the beef and toss to coat well. Remove coated beef from the bowl and discard any extra flour.
- Sear beef in the butter/bacon fat until browned on all sides (about 5 minutes). Depending on the size of your pot, you may need to work in batches so that the beef can brown without overcrowding.
Easy Oven Beef Stew Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comIn a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef cubes, a few at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Add the soup, water, onion and basil; mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Add potatoes and carrots. Bake 1 … ... Show details
Dutch Oven Beef Stew | Life, Love, and Good Food
Recipe From : lifeloveandgoodfood.com2019-07-23 · Preheat oven to 275 degrees. If using a chuck roast, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle spices (salt, pepper, coriander, cloves) and minced garlic over the meat and toss to coat evenly. Place beef into the bottom of a 6-quart Dutch oven. ...
Best Beef Dutch Oven Stew · The Typical Mom
Recipe From : temeculablogs.com2020-08-16 · Dutch Oven Beef Stew. Add ingredients. Put stew meat inside your dutch oven with onions, carrots, salt, oregano, w. sauce, and diced tomatoes. Pour beef broth on top ensuring all beef is covered and most veggies too. Add a bit more than 12 oz. if you are adding more ingredients. I do not choose to brown beef over medium high heat beforehand but ... ...
Dutch Oven Beef Stew | Veronika's Kitchen
Recipe From : veronikaskitchen.com2018-10-05 · Wash and pat dry beef tips. Put flour, salt and pepper into a large zipped-lock bag, add beef tips and toss well until the meat is covered with flour. (Skip Flour for Gluten-Free Diet. You can just … ...
- Put flour, salt and pepper into a large zipped-lock bag, add beef tips and toss well until the meat is covered with flour. (Skip Flour for Gluten-Free Diet. You can just season the meat with salt and pepper)
Dutch Oven Beef Stew - Went Here 8 This
Recipe From : wenthere8this.com2020-11-19 · Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat and add about 1-2 cups of the beef, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Brown on all sides, about 3-5 minutes. Remove the beef and set aside. Continue cooking beef in batches until all of it has been browned. ...
Slow-Braised Beef (Draadjesvlees) Recipe
Recipe From : thespruceeats.comPour the stock into the Dutch oven. Now add the spices and vinegar and bring to the boil. Once the stew comes to a boil, reduce the temperature to low, cover the Dutch oven with a lid and allow to simmer for at least 3 to 4 hours. Check every so often and add more water if required. ...
10 Best Dutch Oven Beef Recipes | Yummly
Recipe From : yummly.com2021-06-20 · Dutch Oven Beef Stew Life, Love and Good Food. mushrooms, black pepper, salt, coriander, tomato paste, chuck roast and 8 more. ... Show details
Beef Stew (Dutch Oven) - Beef Bourguignon - the best stew ...
Recipe From : recipesformen.com2020-08-15 · At the same time fry the chopped onions for about 5 minutes on a low heat in the Dutch oven. Then add the flour to the onions and cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Then add 450ml red wine and the browned meat to the Dutch oven. Add the bouquet garni and the garlic and mix well. Place the Dutch oven in a pre-heated oven … ...
- Trim the meat of any excess fat. Cut into large 1,5-2" sized chunks. Then season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat in vegetable oil in a pan. (You can do this in the Dutch oven if you wish but I prefer to do this in my wok, so I can use the Dutch oven to fry the onions at the same time. )
- Do this in batches so the meat does not get crowded and boil. The outside needs to be nicely seared. When browned on all sides, remove the meat to a plate.
- At the same time fry the chopped onions for about 5 minutes on a low heat in the Dutch oven. Then add the flour to the onions and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
DUTCH-OVEN BEEF STEW recipe | Epicurious.com
Recipe From : epicurious.com2015-09-24 · Heat a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Pour in enough oil to fill the pan about 1/4-inch deep. Spread flour out on a plate or piece of wax paper. Season half the... ... Show details
Hearty Dutch Oven Beef Stew | Garden in the Kitchen
Recipe From : gardeninthekitchen.com2020-08-25 · When hot brown the beef and short ribs on all sides (about 10 minutes). Transfer to a plate. Add onions and 2 diced carrots to the dutch oven, scraping down the browned bits from the meat. … ...
- In a dutch oven pot add in oil. When hot brown the beef and short ribs on all sides (about 10 minutes). Transfer to a plate.
- Add onions and 2 diced carrots to the dutch oven, scraping down the browned bits from the meat. saute for 5-7 minutes stirring often.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add wine and allow it to reduce 3-5 for minutes. Add tomato paste and stir
Easy Dutch Oven Beef Stew | Confessions of a Baking Queen
Recipe From : confessionsofabakingqueen.com2021-01-02 · Home » Dinner » Beef Recipes » Dutch Oven Beef Stew. Dutch Oven Beef Stew. Published: Jan 2, 2021 · by Elizabeth Waterson · Modified: Jan 11, 2021 · This post may contain affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Confessions of a Baking Queen! ...
32 Best Dutch oven beef stew ideas | recipes, cooking ...
Recipe From : pinterest.comJan 19, 2019 - Explore Carolyn Slone's board "Dutch oven beef stew" on Pinterest. See more ideas about recipes, cooking recipes, dutch oven beef stew. ...
Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe - Boy Scout Trail
Recipe From : boyscouttrail.comDutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe . This Recipe is meant for Scouts BSA. Ingredients: Per person: 1/2 cup water 1/4lb beef cubes 1 carrot 1 potato 1/4 onion. Notes: main course. Instructions: Pour 1/2 cup of water into dutch oven. Heat to 350 degrees for Frying. Add beef cubes and cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Add rest of water and heat to boiling. Cut carrots, potatoes ... ... Show details