- Roast eggplants: Using a wooden skewer, pierce eggplants all over. Turn two gas burners or a gas grill to high flame; place one eggplant on each. Cook, turning with tongs as each side blackens and softens, until skins are completely black and flesh is falling-apart tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from flame; transfer to a nonreactive baking dish. Place one end of dish on a slant so that the juices can run from the eggplants. When cool enough to handle, peel away all blackened skin.
- Place eggplant flesh in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until pureed. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the onion, tomatoes, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature with pita or rye bread.
ROASTED EGGPLANT CAVIAR
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place eggplant on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; prick all over with a fork.
- Roast eggplant in the preheated oven until very tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool until easily handled, about 10 minutes.
- Halve eggplant lengthwise and scrape out the flesh; discard skin. Chop flesh finely and transfer to a large bowl. Add onion, 2 tablespoons parsley, olive oil, mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix to combine. Garnish with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 34.1 calories, Carbohydrate 3.8 g, Cholesterol 0.4 mg, Fat 2.2 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 0.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.3 g, Sodium 88.4 mg, Sugar 1.5 g
SICILIAN EGGPLANT CAVIAR
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Prick eggplants all over with a fork, then place on a sheet pan. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise, and scoop out meat into a saucepan. Simmer until most of the liquid is evaporated and eggplant is dry, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper, and saute one minute. Add anchovies and olives, and saute another minute, stirring continuously. Add tomatoes, and cook a minute more. Add eggplant, and cook two minutes. Add cheese, croutons and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in mint and parsley until well combined. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 179, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 16 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 7 grams, Protein 7 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 594 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
Adapted from my local newspaper as a replacement for the too expensive Beluga caviar. I don't personally like caviar, but my husband does. I am posting this as a "private" recipe. If you are seeing it, then he must have liked it. If you can't find Greek yogurt, you can strain regular yogurt through cheesecloth until it is thickened and almost cheese-like.
Provided by threeovens
Yield 1 1/2 cups, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Puncture the eggplant all around with a sharp knife. Place on a baking sheet or shallow baking dish and bake about 1 1/2 hours until it is very soft.
- Meanwhile soak anchovy fillets in cold water for about 10 minutes. Pat dry and smash with a fork. Place anchovy in a large bowl; add garlic, shallot, capers and pepper. Add a tablespoon olive oil and mix. Set aside.
- Once eggplant is done, allow to rest until is cool enough to handle. Cut open and scoop out the pulp into a large strainer. Scrape the inside of the skin with a spoon to remove all the pulp. Press pulp into strainer to remove as much moisture as you can. Let drain about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board; chop fine.
- Place chopped eggplant in the bowl with the other ingredients and mix well. Add remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and mix until smooth. Add lemon juice to taste and salt to taste. Spoon into a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Place egg in a small serving bowl; red onion in another small bowl; capers in another bowl; and Greek yogurt in still another small bowl. Serve with toast or pita wedges.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 114.7, Fat 9.5, SaturatedFat 1.4, Cholesterol 2.8, Sodium 189.4, Carbohydrate 6.6, Fiber 3.3, Sugar 2.2, Protein 2.2
- Halve the eggplants lengthwise, score with a knife and sprinkle lightly with the kosher salt. Cover with a heavy plate and weigh down the plate to press out the moisture for 1 hour.
- Squeeze excess water from the eggplants. Lay the eggplants skin side down on the coals and roast until completely soft, from 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the heat of the coals. Remove and set aside to cool.
- When the eggplants are cool enough to handle, skin them. Place in a wooden bowl and use a fork to mince them. Remove the pulp to a piece of clean cloth or a towel to drain the excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, mustard and salt and pepper. Add the eggplant pulp and stir to mix. Serve immediately or store on ice for up to two days.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 264, UnsaturatedFat 18 grams, Carbohydrate 17 grams, Fat 22 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Protein 3 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 696 milligrams, Sugar 10 grams, TransFat 0 grams
EGGPLANT CAVIAR FOR POTATO BLINI
- Halve eggplant lengthwise; score the flesh side of both halves, making a crisscross pattern about 1/4 inch deep. Sprinkle both halves with salt and place scored-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Cover with a second baking sheet and place a heavy object (such as cans or a set of bowls) on top. Let eggplant render its excess liquid at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Rinse eggplant, pat dry, and rub with some olive oil. Place halves flesh side down on prepared baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast until eggplant is very soft and skin is wrinkled, about 1 hour. There should be no resistance when tested with a knife. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out eggplant pulp and lightly chop. Place pulp in a double layer of cheesecloth and tie to enclose with kitchen twine, leaving about 6 inches on the end. Hang bundle from a shelf in the refrigerator with a bowl set underneath or place in a colander set over a bowl and refrigerate; let drain at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Remove eggplant from refrigerator and hold cheesecloth bundle over sink; twist and squeeze to remove as much additional liquid as possible. Transfer pulp to the bowl of a small food processor; pulse a few times to break up eggplant. With the motor running, slowly add 2 tablespoons olive oil through the feed tube; continue processing until the color and texture begin to lighten, about 30 seconds.
- Turn the machine off and add garlic, mustard, and salt. With the motor running, slowly add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil; continue processing 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Eggplant caviar may be kept refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush eggplant with olive oil and roast eggplants at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Saute the garlic and shallots in 2 ounces olive oil over low heat until they are translucent and aromatic.
- After the eggplant has cooled, remove the pulp from the skins, and place in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place mixture in a bowl and add remaining ingredients along with garlic and shallots. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve with pita wedges
Provided by Food Network
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Drizzle the eggplant quarters with olive oil and roast in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and then remove the skin. Put eggplant into food processor with the garlic and cilantro and pulse to puree. Add olive oil and puree until smooth. Season with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut in half lengthwise: 2 medium eggplants.
- Sprinkle the cut surfaces with: Salt, Fresh-ground black pepper, Olive oil.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet and roast until soft. Test for doneness at the stem end; the eggplant should be very soft. Remove from the oven and let cool. Scrape the flesh out of the skins into a bowl and stir vigorously to loosen into a purée.
- Add: 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, Salt, Fresh-ground black pepper, 1 garlic clove, peeled and pounded to a purée, 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro.
- Mix well and taste, adding more salt and lemon as needed.
- Use 2 tablespoons chopped mint in place of parsley or cilantro.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed toasted coriander seeds. To toast, heat whole coriander seeds in a heavy pan over medium heat until slightly brown. Crush in a mortar and pestle or under a heavy pan.
- Add a pinch or two of dried chile flakes.
- For a smoky flavor, keep one eggplant whole and char it over hot coals or the open flame of a burner until tender. Cut in half, scrape out the flesh, and combine with the other ingredients.
Smooth broiled eggplant accented with chopped onion, olive oil, and dill. You can adjust the seasonings to your liking. Serve in a pita or as a dip for bread.
Provided by Bertha Mann
Categories Appetizers and Snacks
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat oven to broiler setting.
- Wash eggplant thoroughly, then pierce skin with a fork in several places. Place on a baking sheet and broil in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until soft. Turn eggplant over and broil for an additional 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and slice in half.
- Scoop out eggplant pulp with a spoon and place in a medium bowl. Mix in onion, olive oil, dill, salt, and pepper. Serve hot or cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 95 calories, Carbohydrate 8.7 g, Fat 7 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 0.9 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 642.3 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Halve the eggplant lengthwise and set cut side up on a baking sheet. Brush surface with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bake the eggplant until tender, about 35 minutes. Let cool. When cool, scrape the flesh into a strainer and press on the flesh to extract as much liquid as possible. Place eggplant in a food processor. Add the garlic, chives, and cream cheese. Process until well mixed. Peel, seed and dice the Roma tomatoes into small dice. Place eggplant in a bowl and stir in the tomatoes and olives. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serving suggestions: Pipe onto crackers or cucumber rounds and garnish with fresh chives. Place in a bowl and serve with chips as a dip. Serve on toast with thin slices of onion and quarters of hard-boiled egg.
People also searched
More about "eggplant caviar recipes"
EGGPLANT CAVIAR - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
5/5 (1)Servings 2Cuisine MediterraneanCategory Appetizers See details »
EGGPLANT CAVIAR RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
See details »
EGGPLANT CAVIAR (READER RECIPE FROM NORA KOGAN) RECIPE ...
3/5 (412)Calories 140 per servingTotal Time 1 hr 20 mins
- Heat oven to 400° F. Using a fork, prick the eggplant all over. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until very tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, halve it lengthwise and scrape out the flesh, discarding the skin. Finely chop the flesh and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, oil, vinegar, mayonnaise (if using), ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and mix to combine. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve with the bread and vegetables, if desired.
RUSSIAN EGGPLANT CAVIAR WITH CRACKED CORIANDER SEEDS ...
5/5 (4)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory Appetizer
- In a large cast iron pot heat olive oil, then add onions and red pepper and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until translucent but not coloured. Then add garlic and cracked coriander seeds (use mortar and pestle to crack coriander seeds), stir until the mixture is fragrant for approximately 1 minute.
- Add eggplant, tomato juice and ketchup, stir, cover with a lid and cook on low for 1 1/2 hours until there is very little liquid left and the eggplant is a spreadable consistency. Check on your eggplant caviar every 20 minutes or so and stir to avoid it burning to the bottom.
- When the mixture has reduced considerably salt it to taste, then add chopped fresh cilantro. (If your eggplant still has a spongy texture at the end of cooking time, cook it for 20-30 minutes longer.)
EGGPLANT CAVIAR SPREAD RECIPE - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
5/5 (3)Category MediumCuisine $7-$10Total Time 30 mins
- In a Medium skillet, heat 2-3 Tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add onion and carrot and saute until soft (7 min), stirring often. Add pressed garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a second, large skillet, heat 4-5 Tbsp oil over medium/high heat. Add finely diced eggplant (you could make bigger dice but it's more spreadable this way). Sprinkle in 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, stir, and cook uncovered for 10 minutes stirring often until eggplant is very soft (7 minutes). Add more oil if the eggplant is sticking to the pan.
- Once it's soft, stir in 3/4 to 1 cup salsa and your onion/carrot mix. Mix well and heat for another minute until the spread is hot. Serve with toasted bread or your favorite crackers.
EGGPLANT SPREAD RECIPE (BAKLAZHANNAIA IKRA ...
5/5 (22)Category MediumCuisine $8-$12 (Varies by Season)Total Time 1 hr 40 mins
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium/ high heat and add 3-4 Tbsp oil. Add eggplant and saute, stirring occasionally until softened and moist (15-20 min), adding more oil if needed to keep it from sticking to the bottom.
- At the same time, in a separate large skillet, add 2 Tbsp oil, diced bell pepper, grated carrots and finely diced onion. Saute until golden and softened (10-15 minutes). Combine with eggplant mixture
- cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. It is done when there is no liquid pooling and the mixture is a spreadable and still somewhat chunky consistency. Serve eggplant spread with crusty bread.
EGGPLANT CAVIAR RECIPE | MYRECIPES
4/5 (2)Servings 3
- Saute first 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes; add eggplant, and saute 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato and remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Serve warm, or chill up to 1 week. Serve with crackers or toasted pita bread triangles.
CHATZILIM - ISRAELI EGGPLANT (AUBERGINE) CAVIAR RECIPE ...
4/5 (5)Category SpreadsServings 8Total Time 30 mins See details »
EGGPLANT CAVIAR RECIPE - HUBERT KELLER | FOOD & WINE
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush the cut sides of the eggplant with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Set the eggplant, cut sides down, on a baking sheet and roast for about 1 hour, or until tender and collapsed. Let cool.
- Arrange the bread slices on another baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the red pepper, onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Using a spoon, scrape the eggplant flesh from the skin; discard the skin. Finely chop the flesh and add the eggplant to the sautéed vegetables. Stir in the tomato, lemon juice and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until slightly chilled. Stir the chives and basil into the eggplant caviar and serve with the croutons.
EGGPLANT CAVIAR - DAVID LEBOVITZ
Servings 6Estimated Reading Time 5 mins See details »
EGGPLANT CAVIAR - TASTE OF BEIRUT
Reviews 1Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
EGGPLANT CAVIAR : RECIPES : COOKING CHANNEL RECIPE ...
Cuisine EuropeanCategory AppetizerServings 8Total Time 1 hr 20 mins See details »
EGGPLANT CAVIAR RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
2.3/5 (3)Total Time 1 minServings 4 See details »
FRENCH IN A FLASH: CAMPANELLE WITH EGGPLANT CAVIAR RECIPE
See details »
EGGPLANT CAVIAR RECIPE - CUISINART.COM
See details »
EGGPLANT CAVIAR | EMERILS.COM
See details »
time-to-make course main-ingredient preparation low-protein appetizers vegetables finger-food spreads dietary low-sodium low-cholesterol low-saturated-fat low-calorie low-carb low-in-something presentation served-cold 4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Want to buy ingredients ?