- Gently warm the milk in a pan till lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside for a few minutes until the mixture is creamy and starting to froth.
- Melt the shortening or lard, then in a large bowl, mix the yeast mixture, flour, shortening or lard and a pinch of sea salt into a soft dough. Add a little extra milk or flour, if needed.
- Knead until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with clingfilm and set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 2cm thick. Using a round cutter or thin drinking glass, cut out circles of 5 to 8cm.
- Lightly sprinkle a piece of baking parchment with extra flour, or polenta (if using). Transfer the muffins to the paper and sprinkle over a little more flour or polenta. Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour to rise.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas 3 and heat a heavy non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Brown the muffins in the pan, in batches, for a few minutes each side, then turn the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Transfer to a baking tray and finish with 5 minutes in the oven, or until cooked through.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack then split open and spread with melted butter, or keep in an airtight tin, to split and toast as needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 188 calories, Fat 5.4 g fat, SaturatedFat 2.2 g saturated fat, Protein 4.9 g protein, Carbohydrate 29.4 g carbohydrate, Sugar 3.7 g sugar, Sodium 0 g salt, Fiber 0 g fibre
25 BEST WAYS TO USE ENGLISH MUFFINS
These English muffin recipes will totally change your sandwich game. From tuna melts to huevos rancheros to pizza, you might never go back to regular bread again.
Provided by insanelygood
Categories Recipe Roundup
Number Of Ingredients 25
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep an English muffin recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Nutrition Facts :
Provided by Alton Brown
Yield 8 to 10 muffins
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a bowl combine the powdered milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, shortening, and hot water, stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool. In a separate bowl combine the yeast and 1/8 teaspoon of sugar in 1/3 cup of warm water and rest until yeast has dissolved. Add this to the dry milk mixture. Add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the griddle to 300 degrees F.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to mixture and beat thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle and coat lightly with vegetable spray. Using #20 ice cream scoop, place 2 scoops into each ring and cover with a pot lid or cookie sheet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and flip rings using tongs. Cover with the lid and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a cooling rack, remove rings and cool. Split with fork and serve.
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
- Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
- Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split and toast. Great with orange butter, or cream cheese and jam.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 190.1 calories, Carbohydrate 34 g, Cholesterol 1.1 mg, Fat 3.5 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 4.9 g, SaturatedFat 0.9 g, Sodium 136.2 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
EASY ENGLISH MUFFINS
This English muffin was inspired by one served at the Model Bakery, in Napa, CA. Theirs are fried in clarified butter. I didn't actually use their recipe, since I wanted to experiment with a simpler, faster method; but if it makes you feel any better, I did cook them in clarified butter.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Place 1/4 cup flour, yeast, and 1/2 cup water in a mixing bowl. Whisk together and set aside for about 10 minutes to see if thin layer of foam develops to ensure yeast is active. Drizzle in vegetable oil; add salt, egg white, remaining 1 3/4 cup flour, and remaining 1/4 cup warm water. Mix together until dough is very wet and sticky. Cover. Set in a warm spot and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Pull dough gently from sides of bowl, stirring slightly, and turn out onto a well-floured rolling surface. Work in just enough flour until dough is easily handled and can be cut into 6 pieces, about 1 minute. Cut dough into 6 equal portions. Form a seamless ball of dough, adding a pinch of flour to keep it from sticking. Flatten to make thick disks. Transfer dough onto a lined baking sheet sprinkled generously with cornmeal. Let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add clarified butter to skillet over medium heat. Carefully transfer muffin disks to skillet. Cook in batches to avoid overcrowding. Brown on one side, 5 or 6 minutes. Turn, and brown the other side, 5 or 6 minutes. Continue turning to get muffins evenly browned and cooked through, 7 or 8 minutes total per side. Transfer to a cooking rack and cool completely (this is key as you can't split the muffins unless they are cooled).
- Split cooled muffins with a fork, inserting tines all the way around edges so the 2 sides can be pulled apart. Toast and serve with jam.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 256.2 calories, Carbohydrate 34.5 g, Cholesterol 21.9 mg, Fat 10.5 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 5.5 g, SaturatedFat 5.6 g, Sodium 331.8 mg, Sugar 0.2 g
TRADITIONAL ENGLISH MUFFINS
Our neighbors love these yeast treats I make. They tell me my muffins taste so much better than store-bought ones!
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield about 3 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 2 cups water. Beat in eggs, honey, salt, 2 cups flour and remaining water. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. , Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour., Punch dough down. On a floured surface, roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 4-in. circles. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. , Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until bottom is browned. Turn and bake 7 minutes longer or until second side is browned. Cool on wire racks. , To serve, split with a fork and toast.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 139 calories, Fat 1g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 12mg cholesterol, Sodium 70mg sodium, Carbohydrate 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
WONDERFUL ENGLISH MUFFINS
When I was growing up on a farm, my mom always seemed to be making homemade bread...nothing tasted so good! Now I like to make these simple yet delicious muffins for my own family. -Linda Rasmussen, Twin Falls, Idaho
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 muffins.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Scald milk in a saucepan; add butter, sugar and salt. Stir until butter melts; cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to milk mixture. Stir in all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour until smooth. Add sesame seeds, poppy seeds and enough remaining whole wheat flour to make a soft dough., Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour., Punch dough down. Roll to 1/3-in. thickness on a cornmeal-covered surface. Cut into circles with a 3-1/2-in. or 4-in. cutter; cover with a towel and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes., Place muffins, cornmeal side down, in a greased skillet; cook over medium-low heat for 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Turn and cook about 12-14 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire racks; split and toast to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 240 calories, Fat 6g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 13mg cholesterol, Sodium 248mg sodium, Carbohydrate 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 7g protein.
- Since you cook these on top of the stove, there is no need to preheat the oven.Proof the yeast in the l/2 Cup of lukewarm milk with the sugar.Scald the 1 cup of milk, melt the butter in it and let cool to lukewarm.
- Add the salt and the slightly beaten egg to the milk-and-butter mixture. Pour the yeast sponge into a large mixing bowl and blend in the milk-butter-and-egg mixture. Add the flour, a little at a time,mixing together well.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary.
- Knead until elastic and shiny.
- Then place the dough in a large buttered bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for at least 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.
- Meanwhile, pour the cornmeal onto a platter and set aside. Take the dough out onto the work surface and knead again for a couple of minutes.
- Roll it out with a rolling pin to a thickness of about 1/3" and, with a glass or a large biscuit cutter, cut out round cakes.
- Put these onto the platter with the cornmeal, press down slightly and turn to get the other side covered with cornmeal.
- Place on a baking sheet and cover with a towel.
- Let stand for about 20 to 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Place a skillet over medium heat and when hot, brush with a little melted butter, turn the heat low and place about 5 to 6 muffins in the pan.
- Cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side, or until they are slightly brown.
- Cool on a rack.
- Toast after they are completely cooled off and right before serving them.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 165.3, Fat 4.8, SaturatedFat 2.7, Cholesterol 21, Sodium 219.2, Carbohydrate 26.1, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 1.4, Protein 4.2
TRADITIONAL ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: milk, water, sugar, fresh yeast, butter, flour, salt
Provided by Samira Rueda
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Warm up the milk at 45°C, mix in the yeast, and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, water, sugar, and butter. Then, add the milk mixture to the flour bowl.
- Knead dough until homogenous.
- Rest for 1.5 hours at room temperature (or let rest overnight in the fridge).
- Roll out dough and with a cookie cutter and cut circles to form English muffins. Let circles rise for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with corn meal and cook on low heat, until golden brown on each side.
- Serve warm, accompanied by jam and butter.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 317 calories, Carbohydrate 57 grams, Fat 5 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 8 grams, Sugar 3 grams
More about "english muffins recipes"
ENGLISH MUFFINS | KING ARTHUR BAKING
4.7/5 (314)Calories 160 per servingTotal Time 2 hrs 20 mins
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the semolina or farina) in a mixing bowl, or the bucket of your bread machine., This is a very soft dough, so you'll need to treat it a bit differently than most yeast doughs.
- If you have a stand mixer, beat the dough using the flat beater paddle until it starts coming away from the sides of the bowl, and is satin-smooth and shiny; this will take about 5 minutes at medium-high speed.
BEST ENGLISH MUFFIN RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ENGLISH …
5/5 (1)Category Nut-Free, Brunch, BreakfastCuisine AmericanTotal Time 11 hrs
TWO INGREDIENT ENGLISH MUFFINS - SLENDER KITCHEN
EASY HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
OLD-FASHIONED, NO-KNEAD ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
EASY TO MAKE HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - THE BIRCH COTTAGE
HOW TO MAKE ENGLISH MUFFINS - THE PIONEER WOMAN
HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
ENGLISH MUFFINS | CANADIAN LIVING
SOURDOUGH ENGLISH MUFFINS | KING ARTHUR BAKING
ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
PAUL HOLLYWOOD'S ENGLISH MUFFINS - DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
27 EASY &AMP; DELICIOUS ENGLISH MUFFIN RECIPES - BRIT + CO
HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE (NO KNEAD) | BIGGER …
ENGLISH MUFFIN RECIPES AND MEAL IDEAS - FOOD.COM
ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - SWEET AND SAVORY MEALS
ENGLISH MUFFINS - BONITA'S KITCHEN
ENGLISH MUFFINS FROM SCRATCH WITH NOOKS AND CRANNIES | KICKASS …
20 DELICIOUS MEALS TO MAKE WITH ENGLISH MUFFINS | HUFFPOST LIFE
ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
TRADITIONAL ENGLISH MUFFINS - BAKE FROM SCRATCH
HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - BUDGET BYTES
BA'S BEST ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
ENGLISH MUFFINS - SUGAR SPUN RUN
HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFIN RECIPE - THE SUBURBAN SOAPBOX
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST ENGLISH MUFFINS YOU’VE EVER HAD
EASY ENGLISH MUFFIN RECIPE - THE QUICKER KITCHEN
ENGLISH MUFFINS | RICARDO
EASY HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - THE SIMPLER KITCHEN
HOW TO MAKE ENGLISH MUFFINS, HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS - JENNY …
EASY HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS - FLUFFY ENGLISH MUFFIN RECIPE
HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS (FOOL PROOF RECIPE!) - CHEF SAVVY
ENGLISH MUFFINS - PREPPY KITCHEN
EASY HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ENGLISH MUFFINS - FOOD52
THE BEST ENGLISH MUFFIN RECIPE - PINCH AND SWIRL
THE ULTIMATE HOMEMADE ENGLISH MUFFINS RECIPE
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #healthy #breads #breakfast #european #english #stove-top #dietary #yeast #equipment #number-of-servings #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love